OUR BEST 22???

demon_fanatic

Hey guys i read the article in sundays herald sun about Austin and realised how many potential guns we have out:

Woneamirri, Jurrah, Watts, Tapscott, Rivers, Morton.... all 6 would have claims to being in our best 22 (Watts and Tapscott a lot based on potential)

question is.. who out of Sundays win would be candidates to go out.. i can only really think of Bartram really it would be hard dropping bennell, scully or trengove as every game they should improve.. might be good to give them a rest halfway through the year so they dont hit the roookie wall...

it's a great problem to have if we get near full strength soon:) HOW FAR AWAY IS RIVERS?? would be great to plug in the fevola/brown hole this week wouldnt he

It is pretty tough. Most of our boys are performing considering 2 wins in a row. But we'll start losing a few games and i think it is still quite clear who our lesser players are

If I had to make the call...

In: Woneamirri, Jurrah, Watts, Rivers, Morton

Out: Bennell, Dunn, Bartram, Joel Mac, Bail

Those 5 outs probably don't even deserve to go out, though I probably rate them as the worst currently in our best 22.

Also I'd like to see Strauss, Tapscott, Martin, Jetta, Blease and Gysberts get games as well.

The truth is that we will always have a few players injured, so depth is a good thing

It is pretty tough. Most of our boys are performing considering 2 wins in a row. But we'll start losing a few games and i think it is still quite clear who our lesser players are

If I had to make the call...

Out: Bennell, Dunn, Bartram, Joel Mac, Bail

Those 5 outs probably don't even deserve to go out, though I probably rate them as the worst currently in our best 22.

Also I'd like to see Strauss, Tapscott, Martin, Jetta, Blease and Gysberts get games as well.

The truth is that we will always have a few players injured, so depth is a good thing

And what about GAWN...GAWN will be the best..& Maric.?

One player,I feel needs to improve to hold his spot is Bruce.

Out: Bennell, Bruce, Bartram, Joel Mac, Bail

Gee,when we have the full list--all I can say is GO DEES.

Hope we can have six or eight on the interchange next year.

Edited by jayceebee31

Only Jurrah,Watts and Morton would be best 22.

I struggle to see JoelMac being unseated for Rivers. Particularly on recent form.

Wonna has not played for 18 months and needs to establish himself. Bennell has more runs on the Board can play up the ground.

I am not sure why Bartram is out as it leaves us with no one to cover the small forward. Bartram has been good in the past two weeks as well. And he is leading the grabs for that role.

Backs Bartram Warnock Garland

HB MacDonald,FrawleyGrimes

Mids McKenzie,Trengove,Morton

HF Sylvia Watts Petterd

F Davey Jurrah Green

Rucks Jamar McDonald, Scully

Int Bruce Bate Moloney, Bennell

Emerg Bail Rivers Spencer

Guest Thomo

I struggle to see JoelMac being unseated for Rivers. Particularly on recent form.

Wonna has not played for 18 months and needs to establish himself. Bennell has more runs on the Board can play up the ground.

I am not sure why Bartram is out as it leaves us with no one to cover the small forward. Bartram has been good in the past two weeks as well. And he is leading the grabs for that role.

HF Sylvia Watts Petterd

F Davey Jurrah Green

I agree with most of that, although I'd like to see Garland in about 4 weeks from now before I put him in my best 22, hopefully he gets back to his best, but like you said about Wona, needs to establish himself after 12 months off and prove that he can get back to his best. Watts needs to prove he can play at the top level before I put him in there. I imagine he will, but at the moment he is in the same boat as a few others at the club that have huge potential, but still remain unkown.

I agree with most of that, although I'd like to see Garland in about 4 weeks from now before I put him in my best 22, hopefully he gets back to his best, but like you said about Wona, needs to establish himself after 12 months off and prove that he can get back to his best. Watts needs to prove he can play at the top level before I put him in there. I imagine he will, but at the moment he is in the same boat as a few others at the club that have huge potential, but still remain unkown.

Garland is easily best 22. His two games given he has had over a year off have been very encouraging. I am not sure who else can match his flexibility in the back half. With Watts I think anyone in his place is just warming his seat...Jurrah too.

Hey guys i read the article in sundays herald sun about Austin and realised how many potential guns we have out:

Woneamirri, Jurrah, Watts, Tapscott, Rivers, Morton.... all 6 would have claims to being in our best 22 (Watts and Tapscott a lot based on potential)

Tapscott? LOL

The kid has never set foot on an AFL field. He is not within 1000 miles of our best 22.

If you were to pick our best 22 on form this year and not on draft number/reputation there is no way you could drop Bail. He has speed, toughness & skill and reckon he will be a valuable talent that nobody saw coming.

If you were to pick our best 22 on form this year and not on draft number/reputation there is no way you could drop Bail. He has speed, toughness & skill and reckon he will be a valuable talent that nobody saw coming.

Good point.

IMO he was stiff. And I reckon he comes in when Junior retires at year end. But I would not cancel him out of pushing his name forward sooner. He has been a find.

IMO and clearly nobody elses Rivers in no longer in our best 22

except, it appears, rhino

I'm almost with you. But I do want to see, at least once, how Rivers, Warnock, Garland, Macdonald and Frawley all go in the back-line together. I'll concede that even if this works, it won't work every week, so unless one of them can play another position, one is almost always going to miss out.

HF Sylvia Watts Petterd

F Davey Jurrah Green

Pretty hard to argue against that team. I've got to say how impressed I've been with Bail this year. I saw him turn the ball over with a few shocking kicks in the intraclub and had almost put a pencil through his name. His ability to find the ball and toughness stood out, but his kicking was Godfreyesque. Wow, what a turn around. Just about every kick has been hitting the target, he's a good mark for his size, and really hard at it. My enthusiasm for the guy grows by each match.

I'd be tempted to have Bruce or Bennell make way for him in your team.

HF Sylvia Watts Petterd

F Davey Jurrah Green

only 1 ruckman Rhino? Just don't think you can do that can you? In past 3 weeks Newton and Dunn have done a bit of quite heavy stuff, but they don't appear in yur team also.What if Jamar goes` down at the 10 minute mark in the ist quarter?

I think that Martin has to squeeze in, until Watts is`strong enough to play the role Schwarz used to play on the forward line. While he was there 1 ruck WAS enough.Martin is more vesatile than Spencer, offers key defender options also, if needed.

Otherwise I agree with you. Surprising the number who want to drop Bartram, the best small/stopper on our list. For those who query his talent and disposal I point out that perhaps they missed Dean Chiron in all his [in]glory!

Pretty hard to argue against that team. I've got to say how impressed I've been with Bail this year. I saw him turn the ball over with a few shocking kicks in the intraclub and had almost put a pencil through his name. His ability to find the ball and toughness stood out, but his kicking was Godfreyesque. Wow, what a turn around. Just about every kick has been hitting the target, he's a good mark for his size, and really hard at it. My enthusiasm for the guy grows by each match.

I'd be tempted to have Bruce or Bennell make way for him in your team.

I can see as the year rolls on that Bruce and Bennell will have to play well to keep him out. Last year I thought Bail at Caaey could not hit a target. I was underwhelmed but I have been really impressed by him.

only 1 ruckman Rhino? Just don't think you can do that can you? In past 3 weeks Newton and Dunn have done a bit of quite heavy stuff, but they don't appear in yur team also.What if Jamar goes` down at the 10 minute mark in the ist quarter?

I think that Martin has to squeeze in, until Watts is`strong enough to play the role Schwarz used to play on the forward line. While he was there 1 ruck WAS enough.Martin is more vesatile than Spencer, offers key defender options also, if needed.

Would have like to have another ruckman. I dont think we have another one good enough. I have Spencer as an emergency.

Newton and Dunn are not good enough for best 22. IMO Newton is not good enough for AFL. Newton and Dunn have done cameos in the ruck to rest Jamar. And when that did happen, we lost big time in the centre. We sacrificed another big man to provide extra run. If Jamar does go down, Newton and Dunn aint going to save you. Nor will Martin who cant crack a game anywhere atm so I am not sure what he offers anywhere on the ground. No form whatsoever to earn a recall and not best 22. At this point I think if we are talking most important players Jamar is up there on performance and the key risk of injury to him and the lack of a viable replacement.

HF Sylvia Watts Petterd

F Davey Jurrah Green

Wonna has not played in 18 months but at least we know what he was capable of. What has Watts done to deserve a spot? Is that any more than what we know of Wonna? Based on what we have seen and not predicting what a player may do my 22 would be.

HB MacDonald,Frawley,Grimes

Mids Trengove, Moloney, Davey

HF Sylvia Bate Morton

F Bail Jurrah Green

Int Bruce, McKenzie, Bennell, Jones

Emerg Rivers, Martin, Dunn

B: Grimes Warnock Frawley

HB: MacDonald Garland Morton

C: Scully Moloney Trengove

HF: Sylvia Watts Davey

F: Jurrah Green Petterd

Rucks: Jamar McDonald Jones

Int: Bennell Bate McKenzie Bail

* Definitely we lack a good second ruckman, even in our best side.

Edited by Spirit of Barassi

Need some love for Steph Martin. Kid is a talent that is currently being used in the ruck, forward, back and even running out of defense. He was one of the better players at Casey on the weekend, and IMO has overtaken Spencer, Miller and PJ as the next tall into the side. If he keeps developing it very well may be Martin that sneaks into the side. Many don't rate him, but he has done enough to prove to us that he might just be a big part of our future plans.

Our best 22 is going to rotate over the next 24 months. Much is going to come down to form, which is something this club has lacked for many a season. Open competition for some spots is going to help carry this club out of the doldrums.

Wonna has not played in 18 months but at least we know what he was capable of. What has Watts done to deserve a spot? Is that any more than what we know of Wonna? Based on what we have seen and not predicting what a player may do my 22 would be.

HF Sylvia Bate Morton

F Bail Jurrah Green

I think it was more a short=term prediction.

It seems as though you've changed your mind on Bail.

HF Sylvia Bate Morton

F Bail Jurrah Green

No Petterd??

I think it was more a short=term prediction.

It seems as though you've changed your mind on Bail.

Good memory H. Accepted my humble pie after watching him in a preseason hit out. Then boldly claimed on another forum as the player most likely to suprise this year. Happy to keep eating that pie with lashings of whatever you like on top of it whilst he keeps playing the way he has been.:lol:

No Petterd??

No. Not in starting 22 and meant to put him in emergencies but forgot. He is playing good footy at the moment but for mine think he will be squeezed from our forwardline when Jurrah returns. Could not put him ahead of Bate, Green, Sylvia or Morton and I named Bail for speed and hardness as we dont have a decent crumber. Considered him on the bench but I dont think he offers flexibility to play a quality role on ball or back.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if has been mentioned but would there be a place for McLean in our best 22? I tend to think he would struggle to get in.

No. Not in starting 22 and meant to put him in emergencies but forgot. He is playing good footy at the moment but for mine think he will be squeezed from our forwardline when Jurrah returns. Could not put him ahead of Bate, Green, Sylvia or Morton and I named Bail for speed and hardness as we dont have a decent crumber. Considered him on the bench but I dont think he offers flexibility to play a quality role on ball or back.

Hmmm have to disagree with you there. I think he's been a big improver this year with his strong leading and clean marking. He was a standout in the pressure cooker game against Collingwood. I also like Bail but Petterd is the natural goalkicker and offers us a genuine marking target. He's got sticky hands that boy.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Best 22? I don't really care at the moment. I'm just enjoying the fact that it is harder to fit a player into the side than it is to drop another. Depth is a bloody nice thing to have and we should enjoy it while it lasts.