Dunn to play forward

jayceebee31

Been told that Dunny will play a more prominant role as a forward this year to cover the loss of LJ and enhance the forward line somewhat,making it more flexible with reasonable talls till Watts can fulfill his role and LJ returns... At practice today, Dunn & Newton were the best at kicking practice.Dunn started his career as a forward and this role may help out with a forward line like this:

HF: SYLVIA MILLER BATE

FF: DAVEY DUNN GREEN with a rotation of Sylvia, Green, Bate & Miller at full forward for a time within a game.

Davey may rotate with Wonaeamirri when fit and in form.What do you think?

Edited by jayceebee31

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been told that Dunny will play a more prominant role as a forward this year to cover the loss of LJ and enhance the forward line somewhat,making it more flexible with reasonable talls till Watts can fulfill his role and LJ returns... At practice today, Dunn & Newton were the best at kicking practice.Dunn started his career as a forward and this role may help out with a forward line like this:

FF: DAVEY DUNN GREEN with a rotation of Sylvia, Green, Bate & Miller at full forward for a time within a game.

Have a :blink: lways prefer Dunn as forward option

i'd prefer him to play FF than Juice

I think they will play both of them forward this week at Casey.Newton also trained well today.His kicking seems to have improved dramatically.Jones twitter today confirms this

If Dunn could improve his contested marking then he could become a viable target up forward, but up untill now that area of his game hasn't been great. In the past he's played more of a forward pocket type of role but perhaps this could be the turning point of his career. He's done the hard work and an opportunity exists, I really hope he can grasp it with both hands (so to speak)

I also think Dunn up forward is worth a go.If his kicking for goal is reasonable he could be a good option.

One thing about Dunn is that he has an excellent motor therfore I'm sure would chase hard when opposition defenders have the ball.

I like the idea of playing 3 mobile 'tall' targets in Dunn, Green and Bate (sorry I don't classifly Miller as mobile) but would much prefer Green out of the square to Dunn (with the possibility of rotating Green and Sylvia out of the square). I see Dunn, Petterd and Bate being capable of covering more ground due to their mobility and see them spending time pushing up the ground to create opportunities (in a similar vein to the way Miller plays). Where do you see Petterd fitting in this team JCB, as from his pre-season he clearly deserves a spot starting in Rd1?

I'd also prefer Davey to play of the HFF providing pressure closer to the middle to assist in getting the ball deep in to the forward 50 and keeping pressure on the defenders in the 50. I think he'd be much better suited with his elite foot skills at creating scoring shots from the likes of Green/Sylvia/Wona/Maric deep into the 50 and taking his own chances from around the 50.

What are your thoughts on a forward line such as:

HF: DAVEY BATE DUNN/PETTERD

FF: WONAEMIRRI/MARIC GREEN SYLVIA

Edited by The O

If Dunn could improve his contested marking then he could become a viable target up forward, but up untill now that area of his game hasn't been great. In the past he's played more of a forward pocket type of role but perhaps this could be the turning point of his career. He's done the hard work and an opportunity exists, I really hope he can grasp it with both hands (so to speak)

Dunn can kick ok. Who can honestly say they have seen Dunn take an overhead mark under any sort of pressure? I have see Dunn try to fly at the ball before when he was tried forward in 2008. I watched him closely. His judgement when the ball is above his head is very poor. Please do not take this as Dunn bashing, however he is an enigma.

Unless Dunn has managed to fix this issue he is entirely incapaple of playing as a key forward. A Bock, Lake, Fletcher would absolutely destroy him in marking contests and rebound hard.

Petterd, Green, Sylvia even Bruce or Jared Rivers would be more suitable.

Our lack of key forward options is not a problem easily solved. I wouldn't mind seeing a full forward line that consisted of

wonna/davey Rivers green/petterd

This way you have Green or Petterd as the lead up option, they can also do well on the deck. Rivers as the long/contested option who will read the ball in flight and get hands on it most times and expert crumbers cleaning up in Davey or Wonna. This is an attacking option and Davey could only be considered in this role if the midfield really starts to pick up.

Rivers is important in the back line but the return of Garland might free him up?? We also have Mcnamara who can take the third tall.

I like the idea of playing 3 mobile 'tall' targets in Dunn, Green and Bate (sorry I don't classifly Miller as mobile) but would much prefer Green out of the square to Dunn (with the possibility of rotating Green and Sylvia out of the square). I see Dunn, Petterd and Bate being capable of covering more ground due to their mobility and see them spending time pushing up the ground to create opportunities (in a similar vein to the way Miller plays). Where do you see Petterd fitting in this team JCB, as from his pre-season he clearly deserves a spot starting in Rd1?

I'd also prefer Davey to play of the HFF providing pressure closer to the middle to assist in getting the ball deep in to the forward 50 and keeping pressure on the defenders in the 50. I think he'd be much better suited with his elite foot skills at creating scoring shots from the likes of Green/Sylvia/Wona/Maric deep into the 50 and taking his own chances from around the 50.

What are your thoughts on a forward line such as:

HF: DAVEY BATE DUNN/PETTERD

FF: WONAEMIRRI/MARIC GREEN SYLVIA

Miller is one of the most mobile of the lot. Have you seen him lead up the ground at pace???

Miller is one of the most mobile of the lot. Have you seen him lead up the ground at pace???

Another thing I'd like to see this year is a Rivers or Warnock or Frawley do a Brian Lake scenario and move forward like he does. Puts another tall forward in a position that defenders and coaches alike do not like. The three of them could pinch a goal or two. This was shown by Rivers two years ago and Bails played Warnock forward in his development role last year.What do you think?

Another thing I'd like to see this year is a Rivers or Warnock or Frawley do a Brian Lake scenario and move forward like he does. Puts another tall forward in a position that defenders and coaches alike do not like. The three of them could pinch a goal or two. This was shown by Rivers two years ago and Bails played Warnock forward in his development role last year.What do you think?

I think you have to balance that against a settled backline.

Garland and Martin will be seen forward in 2010, but I wouldn't like to see Warnock, Frawley or Rivers, who IMO are clearly defenders. In a sense, Garland would only be a backman if we didn't have so many similar types, but since we have a weak forward line and so many tall mobile defenders, we have had to become more versatile with Colin. It has also laid to rest the Miller debate.

I think you have to balance that against a settled backline.

Garland and Martin will be seen forward in 2010, but I wouldn't like to see Warnock, Frawley or Rivers, who IMO are clearly defenders. In a sense, Garland would only be a backman if we didn't have so many similar types, but since we have a weak forward line and so many tall mobile defenders, we have had to become more versatile with Colin. It has also laid to rest the Miller debate.

Brian Lake does not play a forward role either, but like him the 3 talls named be given a licence to roam forward, and put pressure then on their forward opponent becoming a defender. This is only on an occassional scenario that I am advocating in the game.

Edited by jayceebee31

It could work at Full Forward, Dunn is quick & tall enough for the lead. But he doesn't read the play well as in making good decisions. He doesn't like marking above his head, nor getting rough treatment.

But as a mark & kick full forward he could be effective.

I think his issue is broader around the contested ball. Dunn could go 2 ways with this move. He either takes the oppotunity and makes it happen or.....

It could work at Full Forward, Dunn is quick & tall enough for the lead. But he doesn't read the play well as in making good decisions. He doesn't like marking above his head, nor getting rough treatment.But as a mark & kick full forward he could be effective.

Will he take open handpasses in the goal square?

If he has the chinks you say then his effectiveness will be limited at FF.

how do you guys think t-mac would handle a spell in the forward line?

Well I think he played forward for a while at Casey last year, so it's not entirely impossible. He also kicked a nice goal when we played Fremantle (from about 50 metres too IIRC).

IMO, if Dunn plays he should be played as a forward. That's where he plays his best football. He is not a midfielder.

I'd much rather see Jamar at FF and Spencer in the ruck. Jamar a couple of years ago was an amazing pack mark, and he took a couple against the dons albeit at the wrong end. Him resting forward, and maybe rotating with say Green, I think would be very effective. Spencer on the bench when not in the ruck tho. Dunn in my view is not a true full forward. A very skilled player tho, but better out of the pocket or HF. Hopefully with the injury to JL, we can experiment with a few combinations and find some surprises.

LJ is a star tho, and a crucial part of our future premiership sides. Meantime we have some intersting reserves who might surprise us all.

I'm prepared to take bets though that Colin Garland will not only play forward in our premiership team of 2014, but play a key position.

We have a lot to look forward to, albeit with a short term diminished list

Go dees

Edited by 2014-Flag