Jurrah Hurt!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this presents an extra opportunity for anyone, I'd pick Jack Fitzpatrick over Michael Newton.

I don't think Fitzy has had a stat in the last two games he has played... Mid year maybe.. if he has progressed but until then Newton, no matter how average he is has Fitzy covered.

Plenty of passion on the boards which is good to see. Couple of things I'll clear up.

First: My passion for this club runs deep my support unwavering my commitment absolute for over 30 years.

Secondly: Majority of this site claimed MFC would only win 6-8 wins hardly a successful year

Thirdly: If Jurrah was going to be the absolute difference this year your deluded. He's gifted,

talented could quite possibly rival Buddy in 3 years but even Buddy can't win a game when he is the only

one playing. He misses 16 weeks of development on field but if he's hungry and comitted enough he'll

develop himself in other areas. For example endurance, strength, bulk.

Fourthly: Injuries suck BUT I absolutely refuse to run around like a chook

with it's head cut off spreading doom and gloom when I've been through this kind of thing before(Schwarz).

We as supporters as a side as the red and blue will be stronger for the bad times and when the good times

come they'll be so much sweeter.

Absolute unwavering support it's not a choice.

Top post. +1

Sums it up. Newton is the only guy in the way of Newton. If he doesn't take this opportunity, there will be exactly zero people on his side.

What would be MORE interesting is if he pops up and kicks 30+ this year. What then?!!!

If he plays the season he's likely to kick 30+ goals - he averages 1.4 goals p/game in his 21 games so far.

I'd tell Newton that he's going to get an extended run throughout the first half of the season, providing he does the things required of him that he can control (present, chase, tackle, etc.).

Fitzpatrick looks extremely raw to me, and I think it may be too early.

I'd tell Newton that he's going to get an extended run throughout the first half of the season, providing he does the things required of him that he can control (present, chase, tackle, etc.).

What has he done to deserve an extended run? If there is a player on our list that should have to play a month of solid footy for casey before upgrade it's newton. You don't play players who've already had a chance until they do something to earn another chance. I'm still waiting for him to earn it. I can't understand why anyone would upgrade a player who has done nothing to earn it. It makes no sense and peddles to his apparent lazy attitude. It would be yet another free ride for a player who's had his share.

Plenty of passion on the boards which is good to see. Couple of things I'll clear up.

First: My passion for this club runs deep my support unwavering my commitment absolute for over 30 years.

Secondly: Majority of this site claimed MFC would only win 6-8 wins hardly a successful year

Thirdly: If Jurrah was going to be the absolute difference this year your deluded. He's gifted,

talented could quite possibly rival Buddy in 3 years but even Buddy can't win a game when he is the only

one playing. He misses 16 weeks of development on field but if he's hungry and comitted enough he'll

develop himself in other areas. For example endurance, strength, bulk.

Fourthly: Injuries suck BUT I absolutely refuse to run around like a chook

with it's head cut off spreading doom and gloom when I've been through this kind of thing before(Schwarz).

We as supporters as a side as the red and blue will be stronger for the bad times and when the good times

come they'll be so much sweeter.

Absolute unwavering support it's not a choice.

Great post - my exact sentiments.

I'm confident Jurrah will come back a fantastic player - all this does is allow us to give a spot to another youngster who has not yet shown as much.

In fact, in a strange way, it's probably better it happened to Jurrah than a player like Maric or Cheney or McNamara or Strauss, who is still trying to develop and show that they deserve a spot.

For one of them it could have been career-defining.

As far as winning games this year it might hurt a little.

In terms of developing a team to challenge for a premiership in a few years it may help a lot.

If this presents an extra opportunity for anyone, I'd pick Jack Fitzpatrick over Michael Newton.

No way- you are dreaming. Newton is proven to a certain extent- needs to prove he is worth while keeping Fitzi has done nothing as yet

No way- you are dreaming. Newton is proven to a certain extent- needs to prove he is worth while keeping Fitzi has done nothing as yet

Proven not upto it shouldn't put him ahead of a first year player

To hammer home the point, as of right now Newton has proved that he is lazy, selfish & soft. In general, he's proved he has no place in a senior AFL team. He is a quite serviceable VFL Full Forward.

To clarify again, I agree that Fitzpatrick has done nothing to this point, and I don't believe he has earned a spot in the team at all based on his pre-season games. I think he needs a lot of time at Casey to help him develop, as is the norm with all young, big kids. Particularly given his background (CFS issues) he may take a little longer to come along.

In the context of this discussion, it has been suggested that Newton could be thrown into the team 'to attract the attention of a defender' and 'maybe kick a goal or two' (paraphrasing). If indeed, Dean Bailey was to have a particularly bad stroke and decide this was a reasonable strategy, I would rather see him put Fitzpatrick in this mythical, bystander role than Newton who seems to play that role without being asked to.

In summary, I consider Newton our absolute last resort for the so-called full forward role, Fitzpatrick is probably second last.

Newton is NOT, NOT, NOT lazy. He is untalented, for sure, but can we put to bed forever the idea that he doesn't chase. He's just a crap footballer with no leadership ability or footy smarts.

Newton is NOT, NOT, NOT lazy. He is untalented, for sure, but can we put to bed forever the idea that he doesn't chase. He's just a crap footballer with no leadership ability or footy smarts.

Different viewpoint, same result