Dees grilled Bailey

Jonesy!!!

I quite like this article from Michael Gleeson. Seems to sum up the situation well: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/its-not-just-a-numbers-game-when-weighing-up-dees-bailey-20100224-p3j5.html

Well spotted TU, and yes that was a very fair read, Balanced.

As much as they grilled him, I can't see us making extraordinary leaps in 2010 or 2011. We'll win more games, no doubt, but I don't expect us to make the finals until 2012. I honestly believe that by that stage we'll have a more experienced coach take the reins. This guy is essentially our Peter Rhode. I've always looked at him like that.

"The bodies that contain so much hope and potential remain still too adolescent for them to make significant inroads this year. But by next year there is no doubt the wins should begin to equal the losses."

Hear, hear!

Load of crap.

If you think next year we will win more then 8 games you are lost. Some people don't understand how far back we were 2 years ago. We had to get young players in over those 2 years, and now over the next 2 years we will have to get games into them. We are a long way off. 2015 flag? maybe. Jones, Morton, Grimes, Scully, Trengove, Bate, Sylvia, frawley, Garland, Watts and so on will win us the flag. They will all be around 24-29 then which seems about right to me. If someone can be bothered doing some research I would say the top 8 players of teams that win flags would be around 25-30 years of age? most of the time. And the players in that age group now and in a few years are not good enough to even get us in the top 8.

Bails has supporters and detractors, but the underlying truth is our list is still a not anywhere near competitive in this league.It is hard to judge an painter without allowing him to use any paint. By the "water cooler" I am still ridiculed for talking up the demons youth. Most "experts" cannot see us doing anything this season (except for battling the Tigers for the spoon), and most rival supporters think our list is a cruel joke ( if I hear another "watts is a bust" remark I may just have to remove some of their teeth!).

I feel for the Bails, because no other rival coach could do much better with this very promising, yet green list.For Bails sake, I hope some of the kids we have got start to really show why they were picked ahead of many of the next generation of AFL players.

Making Bails sweat for his job is an interesting angle, but to be honest I can see anyone better lining up to coach us!

Carn the dees!

the thing that encourages me is this...

"I have no doubt we'll improve this year," Bailey said.

"Next year, the expectation will be greater. From there, anything's possible."

I can't remember Bailey ever lying or being over optimistic about where we're at... I don't think he'd make a comment like that if he didn't truely believe it. The question is, is he competent enough? I think he is, only time will tell...

Load of crap.

If you think next year we will win more then 8 games you are lost. Some people don't understand how far back we were 2 years ago. We had to get young players in over those 2 years, and now over the next 2 years we will have to get games into them. We are a long way off. 2015 flag? maybe. Jones, Morton, Grimes, Scully, Trengove, Bate, Sylvia, frawley, Garland, Watts and so on will win us the flag. They will all be around 24-29 then which seems about right to me. If someone can be bothered doing some research I would say the top 8 players of teams that win flags would be around 25-30 years of age? most of the time. And the players in that age group now and in a few years are not good enough to even get us in the top 8.

Easy turbo!

I'm not asking for a certain amount of wins next year, I believe there are much more effective means of measuring success with a young side rather than just with a win/loss qouta.

Load of crap.

I agree

Surely the only real measure is the win/loss. I see another year of spin spin spin.Maybe the board is easily impressed by spin.

We are not in the competition to make up te numbers or are we?

I agree

Surely the only real measure is the win/loss. I see another year of spin spin spin.Maybe the board is easily impressed by spin.

You can't expect things to take off with a few raw kids.

They'll get better as the season progresses. This will occur each year.

Mind you, I reckon Scully and Trengove will come on alot quicker than most think.

I agree

Are you sure you agree..?

I don't think that's what he was saying at all.

I agree

Think Hawthorn 2004-2005 then think 2008.

It takes time to build not just a team, but a GOOD Team.