Bailey Locked In

Demonland

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im with Sheahan on this one, DB needs to show some results on gameday cos when it comes down to it, thats what footballs all about. We know we were rebuilding, and all the rest the last 2 years, but this year he needs to double the amount of wins from last year as a minimum, IMO.

If we go another season with 4 wins, questions should be asked

i agree with mike on this 1

Agree. I just cant understand the blind faith the board and many supporters have in Bailey. While he has shown a hard line in terms of drafting and youth, there are serious unanswered questions around his ability to develop these young players and to implement a suitable AFL game plan(going by our on field performances). I say no need to rush into the extension unless we show signs of improvement this year.

Edited by stranga

http://www.heraldsun...from=public_rss

Mike Sheahan's 2 cents worth

Ive been very much in the camp of give him another year and let him have the two to show his wares. But its hard to argue with Mike here. I really expected more of the team, diluted and gren as it was , than what transpired as a feeble excuse for a game on Sunday. Im now second guessing my own thinking. Am I simply wanting him to have the advantage of an effective 2 year stint as some sort of honourable offer ? Is it actually warranted ? Is he really a good game day coach or more an educator ?

None of these question scame into such sharp focus whilst we were using the last 2 years to stock our larder but now that we dont need to take that direction I want to see us play, and for keeps. Hopefully what we're seeing is an aberation from that ideal.

Its easy to be distracted by the impact that say a Scott is having in Roo-ville and suddenly think wtf?

I still think Bailey has something to show us and maybe unbridled haste isnt a neccesity in his procurement...maybe. Certainly efforts such as Sundays do him no favours.

We lost by 8 goals in Perth in the NAB cup, if that's enough for you to re-think your position on the coach you either didn't really want him in the first place or your system for rating the coach needs some evaluating.

Its easy to be distracted by the impact that say a Scott is having in Roo-ville and suddenly think wtf?

I still think Bailey has something to show us and maybe unbridled haste isnt a neccesity in his procurement...maybe. Certainly efforts such as Sundays do him no favours.

I wouldnt of rated the Roos list better then our before the weekend, and im still not sure i would now, but one things certain, Scott had them playing like their life depended on it, yet to see that from a DB outfit.

The main point is, no other club is about to poach our coach, so why sign him up when another season with no improvement will have the supporter base, quite rightly out for blood.

DB & MFC need wins

Pretty good summary by Sheahan we were terrible and if that is the sort of rubbish we are going to be served up each week I cannot see why we would rush to get a signature. Bailey needs to have pressure on him the same way the players do and if we give him a 2 year contract extension then what pressure will there be? I know that there will be the usual "this is not about winning games it is about getting games in to the young kids". Well that's ok but is there any harm in getting winning games in to the young kids? If clubs like Essendon, Collingwood and North can win games with their young lists then why can't we?

I noticed at the intra club game that there were too many players standing flat footed waiting for the handball and commented at the time to those I was with, I hoped that would change during a real match but it didn't. Our game plan seems to be a mish mash of run and carry, flooding, ultra defence and panic. We still have problems holding a tackle, our kick outs haven't improved in the last 20 years and we are seemingly incapable of altering our centre structure when we get slaughtered in the ruck contests. We continually get beaten by Sandilands in the ruck but start off each game as if we are going to win the hit outs, why? There seemed to be no contingency plan in place should the forward line failed which it inevitably did.

The club can see more in the coach and his game plan than I can at the moment, I hope they're right and I'm wrong.

We lost by 8 goals in Perth in the NAB cup, if that's enough for you to re-think your position on the coach you either didn't really want him in the first place or your system for rating the coach needs some evaluating.

I disagree. The context of the last two seasons as opposed to now. The resources at hand and the time put in suggestthatall things being equal we ought to have made a fist of Sunday..That didnt happen. Remember that Freo finished as lowly cellar dwellers also...have had less of a dip into the font of gold as compared ourselves and yet seem to be playing a brand of footy with a differing frame of mind.

I would argue the sytem for evaluting hasnt changed one iota......its that the results havent either thatis cause considerable !!

Is it not obvious that Mike Sheahan has a vested interest..?

I'm surprised so many people are so easily fooled.

and that would be

We didnt even push Freo at any stage of the game, they even had players they stole from the VFL make our guys look second rate.

Hes been there 2 years, and the result is 2 wooden spoons, what if we finish bottom again this year? what if we go backwards and dont even get the 4 wins we got last year?, no sense signing him until we see some gameday results

Pretty good summary by Sheahan we were terrible and if that is the sort of rubbish we are going to be served up each week I cannot see why we would rush to get a signature. Bailey needs to have pressure on him the same way the players do and if we give him a 2 year contract extension then what pressure will there be? I know that there will be the usual "this is not about winning games it is about getting games in to the young kids". Well that's ok but is there any harm in getting winning games in to the young kids? If clubs like Essendon, Collingwood and North can win games with their young lists then why can't we?

I noticed at the intra club game that there were too many players standing flat footed waiting for the handball and commented at the time to those I was with, I hoped that would change during a real match but it didn't. Our game plan seems to be a mish mash of run and carry, flooding, ultra defence and panic. We still have problems holding a tackle, our kick outs haven't improved in the last 20 years and we are seemingly incapable of altering our centre structure when we get slaughtered in the ruck contests. We continually get beaten by Sandilands in the ruck but start off each game as if we are going to win the hit outs, why? There seemed to be no contingency plan in place should the forward line failed which it inevitably did.

The club can see more in the coach and his game plan than I can at the moment, I hope they're right and I'm wrong.

100% agree on all points...

Melbourne at this point in time needs to be as stable as it can be. Changing coaches now would be a massive decision to make concidering we were told when we appointed him that it would take about 5 years to rebuild. he has built his team now he just needs to teach them. if we go for a new coach they might have differing opinion on the list and start culling players again... Not a good move for a club were members jump on and jump off at a drop of a hat and moreso that free agency is coming into play in 2012 if we have to rebuild again we could lose players like Trengove Scully Watts Grimes in years to come.

I would argue the sytem for evaluting hasnt changed one iota......its that the results havent either thatis cause considerable !!

What results?

One NAB cup at a ground where our recent results have been losses by:

46, 59, 28, 29, 25 to Freo and 8, 77, 22, 40, 52 to WC. We average around a 40 point loss there and this game wasn't even the real season!

So basically you were happy to sign him on no evidence, now a slice of evidence has come in and you no longer want to sign him. As I said, your (and perhaps a few other people's) system needs evaluating.

Edited by 45HG16

WHAT VESTED INTERESTS..?

The fact that if Mike Sheahan writes a column saying the Dees are correct in their stance on Bailey, it ends up being 3 lines long and no one wants to read it.

The fact that if MFC don't extend Bailey's contract it gives Sheahan something else to write about and speculate on and create salacious rumours about for the length of the season.

Only having Mark Harvey coming out of contract give him little ammo to fill space with.

Irrational hysteria drives the sale of newspapers.

It's in Mike's best interests to keep this alive.

Also, he didn't care to mention any of the ramifications of NOT signing Bailey to an extension, that being a season of trial-by-media until Bailey loses his job in Round 11 a la Terry Wallace, as a result of not having won at least 50% of his first 10 games.

As he should not be expected to.

Also ignoring the added pressure this would apply to the playing group, making the task of winning games needlessly more difficult.

Think people... THINK.

Edited by Keyser Söze

We didnt even push Freo at any stage of the game, they even had players they stole from the VFL make our guys look second rate.

You mean men that have played in the VFL showing up kids who have played in the TAC Cup..?

Hes been there 2 years, and the result is 2 wooden spoons, what if we finish bottom again this year? what if we go backwards and dont even get the 4 wins we got last year?, no sense signing him until we see some gameday results

How is that relevant? Who would have done better in those 2 years?

So, basically, we should subject our coach to trial-by-media purely because there is a slim chance we could finish bottom on the back of ONE nab cup result.

Genius.

Edited by Keyser Söze

What results?

One NAB cup at a ground where our recent results have been losses by:

46, 59, 28, 29, 25 to Freo and 8, 77, 22, 40, 52 to WC. We average around a 40 point loss there and this game wasn't even the real season!

So basically you were happy to sign him on no evidence, now a slice of evidence has come in and you no longer want to sign him. As I said, your system needs evaluating.

Too easy to suggestits all a Subiaco thing and nothing to do with any of a dozenother factors. You'll need to widen your scope a bit.

Your quite avid at introducing word into mouths. I suggested thatthe haste to sisn aspect might need to be revisited as is the whole theme of Shehans article.. Not to not sign him ..but maybe to watch and see a bit longer. That might be more prudent.

My evaluation of him takes into context of where we were and what we wanted to achieve.. We got all the picks..now we need to face the front and win..its a different cause. Th evaluation hasnt changed at all.. he now has a different goal surely. cant you see that ?