Gold Coast Draft

Little Goffy

There's been a lot of talk about ow th Gold Coast's draft concessions will make them a super team, and while I rankle at the disruption to the draft in general, and I wish the AFL wouldn't mess around with salary caps, consider this -

1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 11, 12, 12, 13, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 19, 20

24, 25, 30, 34, 35, 36

Those are the first and second round picks that Melbourne are currently sitting on. Discounting Mclean of course (treated as the pick 11 we got for him) and Travis Johnstone (calling it 14) but counting Scott Thompson's pick given that he 'became' Brent Moloney.

To be fair we ought to include a few more such as Armstrong (25), Molan (9 ), Rogers (26) and Smith (15). Just because they didn't really make it (except for one premiership player!) doesn't mean they don't count as draft picks. Also, throw in a couple of traded away picks that I couldn't be bothered finding the details of (those picks used on Pickett, Holland and Bizzell would have to count)

And I think it's also fair to balance their '17-year-olds' collection with our late picks and rookies, like Davey, Jamar, Wonaeamirri, McDonald, Warnock, Bruce, Miller, Bartram. They'd be thrilled to get a set like that from their dozen 17-year-olds. Absolutely over the moon.

finally, rememeber that those selected uncontracted players the Gold Coast can 'Steal' will actually earn compensation picks for their old clubs. Quite good ones - we would reasonable expect a first round pick for either of Miller or Petterd (our Queenslanders) if taken from us by the Gold Coast.

The final call?

I actually think the Gold Coast might struggle a little! Our 'accumulated' draft position kicks their ones butt, and we've had all the late and rookie pick misses to redo over the last five-seven years.

Other clubs wont have quite as strong a draft pick history as us (except perhaps Carlton and Hawthorn), but it's not a dramatic change. I mean, every club has at least had seven first and seven second round picks in the last seven years, whether it's been traded or used.

Guest hellter skelter

they could well end up with a draft like this years, the first 6 were set in stone, the rest is a raffle, who knows? i think your best to accumalate DP over 3season, but we all now they cant do that, hopefully its a poor draft.

finally, rememeber that those selected uncontracted players the Gold Coast can 'Steal' will actually earn compensation picks for their old clubs. Quite good ones - we would reasonable expect a first round pick for either of Miller or Petterd (our Queenslanders) if taken from us by the Gold Coast.

My understanding is that ALL GC17 & GWS 1st round picks from 2010 & 2011 are completely off-limits, they cannot be traded or used for compensation.

I am intruiged to know how this will work. Some players would demand a very high pick, ie the only fair compensation for Ablett would pick 1 or 2 plus sweetners, a la the Judd deal. If future picks come into play then it seems as though the drafts are going to be compromised well beyond 2011.

If anyone could clarify that would be great.

1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 11, 12, 12, 13, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 19, 20

24, 25, 30, 34, 35, 36

Those are the first and second round picks that Melbourne are currently sitting on.

Umm. Watts or Scully? Maric ?

we would reasonable expect a first round pick for either of Miller or Petterd (our Queenslanders) if taken from us by the Gold Coast.

No. Not on your life.

The final call?

Yes.

My understanding is that ALL GC17 & GWS 1st round picks from 2010 & 2011 are completely off-limits, they cannot be traded or used for compensation.

I think you are wrong here. While their picks won't be used as compensation they can trade any pick they want to in the same manner as the other clubs.

If that was not the case they wouldn't be able to trade for contracted players like the other clubs.

The situation with GC17 as I understand it is that they can trade away their picks.

The fact is that Melbourne have obtained those picks over a long time. No team has been built up with a selection of picks in the one draft. This will allow the kids to develop and grow together.

In addition, the picks are tradable, so they may get some good mature players to help the kids develop.

Add the picks they will get over the next 3-4 years, and they'll have the makings of a very strong club.

As for the selection of 17 y.os against our late picks. I think that's a bit unfair - consider that Josh Toy would've been a top three pick had he been eligible for this year's draft, and consider that had the concessions come into effect last year, Watts would've been a GC17 player.

GC17 have got a heap of concessions that should, barring mismanagement, should guarantee this at least a decent crack at the top four if not the flag.

My point regarding Miller earning us a first round is that compensation for players lost to the Gold Coast is based on a formula of experience, age, presence in leadership groups, and so on. It is believed to be quite generous.

Our picks were tradable over the years to - Pickett, Holland and Bizzell, as mentioned, plus Vardy.

Compare Josh Toy and the other 17 year olds to our selections from Rookie lists and late in the draft - our last three B&F winners Bruce, Davey and McDonald, and then some.

My apologies about Maric, misplaced his pick.

But my simple point is that the Gold Coast draft concessions do not necessarily place them far ahead of the rest of the competition. If it's a '2003' quality draft, they'll be the new Fremantle. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually think the AFL has done this fairly.

The AFL has stated that they will not be giving any first round picks away as compensation ahead of those granted the GC. GC are guaranteed those picks. However, if they choose to do so they may trade any of their allotted picks to other clubs for contracted players.

Miller would not get us a first round pick. If we were lucky, we might get a third round pick for him, but that's pushing things. I have no faith at all in the AFL putting fair market value on players who are poached in this manner. GC were looking at Morton from the MFC. Do you think for one second they would give us pick 4 as compensation, much less the pick 1 that he would warrant? More likely he would be rated as something around the 20 mark. They are using a formula factoring in games played, placings in B&F counts and brownlow votes to value players. The specifics of this formula are not to be made public, allowing them to fudge figures any way they wish. Such a system is inherently unfair and will hurt us if they manage to lure someone good up north.

The AFL has stated that they will not be giving any first round picks away as compensation ahead of those granted the GC. GC are guaranteed those picks. However, if they choose to do so they may trade any of their allotted picks to other clubs for contracted players.

Miller would not get us a first round pick. If we were lucky, we might get a third round pick for him, but that's pushing things. I have no faith at all in the AFL putting fair market value on players who are poached in this manner. GC were looking at Morton from the MFC. Do you think for one second they would give us pick 4 as compensation, much less the pick 1 that he would warrant? More likely he would be rated as something around the 20 mark. They are using a formula factoring in games played, placings in B&F counts and brownlow votes to value players. The specifics of this formula are not to be made public, allowing them to fudge figures any way they wish. Such a system is inherently unfair and will hurt us if they manage to lure someone good up north.

i think its up to the Footy department to make sure any required players are in contract when the two new clubs enter the comp. then let the GC have our scraps.