WELCOME TO THE DEES JORDAN GYSBERTS

Demonland

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gysberts was always considered a second round, at the edge of the first round. Burgan put him pick 24.

If people are obsessed with how players were rated then they should be happy really..

Burgan had:

Scully at 1- pick 1

Trengove at 2- pick 2

Gysberts at 24- pick 11

Tapscott at 19- pick 18

Gawn at 18- pick 34

Fitzpatrick at 48- pick 50

We got some super talent

Guest eraadyn
My jaw hit the ground when this one was announced, I still can't believe it. Talia? Black? Lucas? No, Gysberts! I hope the kid has skills, massive expectations on the number 11 pick rated by almost everyone as a 2nd to 3rd rounder.

I totally agree here. I cannot believe we allowed Griffiths, Talia, Black and Carlisle slide past 11 and then past 18! We got the two best midfielders in the draft then spent our picks on MORE FREAKING MIDFIELDERS!

I like Max Gawn at 34, what an imposing monster he will be but to take Fitzpatrick at 50 is ridiculous. We have committed to rookie listing Meesen again, because unless I cant read, no one drafted him.

So we come out of the draft with 4 midfielders another on to come in the PSD and 2 ruckmen, 1 more to be re rookied and NO QUALITY KEY FORWARDS. WTF Melbourne? Seriously, WTF.

My faith in the recruiting staff is completely shot. :angry:

Guest eraadyn
Gysberts was always considered a second round, at the edge of the first round. Burgan put him pick 24.

If people are obsessed with how players were rated then they should be happy really..

Burgan had:

Scully at 1- pick 1

Trengove at 2- pick 2

Gysberts at 24- pick 11

Tapscott at 19- pick 18

Gawn at 18- pick 34

Fitzpatrick at 48- pick 50

We got some super talent

No one doubts that we got some talented kids, unfortunately somehow the idea of recruiting for our future needs got thrown out the window.

Well midfielders and ruckman always play huge roles in a team winning premierships... and our midfield and ruck stocks are pretty crap atm... so we actually filling our needs.

I agree I would have taken 1 KP forward... however clearly they are looking forward and are putting faith in Watts, Jurrah, Bate and Martin/Garland.

Burgan also noted that Adelaide had been linked to him at pick 13. It's not a great leap from 13 to 11.

And when you say 'always', do you mean in the past six weeks, or in the past 18 months? I'm talking about the past 18 months, and in that time, Gysberts has consistently been considered worthy of a first-round pick by many judges.

I think BP and co have taken a ruthless 'best available' mantra into this year's draft. There have been serious question marks raised about the depth of quality in the talls in this year's crop so I reckon they've made the right call by going for the best available player at their first four picks. At 34 and 50, we had plenty of time to select for needs.

Burgan also noted that Adelaide had been linked to him at pick 13. It's not a great leap from 13 to 11.

And when you say 'always', do you mean in the past six weeks, or in the past 18 months? I'm talking about the past 18 months, and in that time, Gysberts has consistently been considered worthy of a first-round pick by many judges.

I think BP and co have taken a ruthless 'best available' mantra into this year's draft. There have been serious question marks raised about the depth of quality in the talls in this year's crop so I reckon they've made the right call by going for the best available player at their first four picks. At 34 and 50, we had plenty of time to select for needs.

Not to doubt BP, for the most-part he has a tremendous track record. But perhaps Gysberts is this year's "Rohan Bail".

I have always admired the Crows recruiting and I read in several sources that the Crows would "love" to select Talia if he slipped. Well they got there guy.

I can see this guy becoming a stopping midfielder. This role has changed you need to stop players, get the footy and be skillful, in the limited footage of this guy he looks to me to be able to fill this role and looking at our list we have Bartram and Dunn, one can't kick and the other should be a tall forward.

Not to doubt BP, for the most-part he has a tremendous track record. But perhaps Gysberts is this year's "Rohan Bail".

Bail was picked in the 60s and was a mature age recruit who has played a year of injury interrupted footy but still may make it.

Gysberts is a highly rated young player who was drafted today in the first round is yet to play a game.

Not sure who of these 2 players you disrespected most.

Good luck Jordan (and Rohan). From all accounts Jordan is a solid citizen withh all the right skills and attributes to become a good afl player.

It's funny how many posters get carried away with the kids who get a lot of media exposure such as Taylor, Patrick etc, or kids who get thrown around commonly on the forums for whatever reason. Unless any of us have consistently watched junior football over the last 2 years, we are hardly in a position to say that picking Gysberts ahead of anyone is a mistake.

Edited by forest85

This. Talk about posters getting hung up on phantom drafts and written articles about shock players. Gysbert has been tracked for 2 years.

I would've been happier with Talia but i would've taken Gysbert over Lucas. Lucas might be the better athlete but his kicking can be dodgy. Jordan looks like a natural footballer.

Edited by jacey

May I respectfully suggest that comparing Gysberts with Bail is a useless exercise?

Gysberts is a two-time Vic Metro representative, who is also an AIS/AFL graduate and a past member of the TAC Cup team of the year. He was selected at No.11, and would not have lasted past the middle of the second round. He was the best player of his generation in his junior leagues.

Bail was a relatively mature age footballer with few elite qualities other than his exceptional engine. He received no national junior accolades and there were maybe two clubs interested in him. He was selected at No.64.

I get where you're coming from in that both could be considered to have been selected earlier than generally expected, but that's it. There's a big difference between a speculative mature-age fifth rounder and a elite, decorated junior picked just outside the top 10.

Thats fricking laughable. You have to be kidding, yeah?

What knowledge of Gysberts do you have?

Bail was picked at 64, were you expecting big things this season? Plus, he was a mature age player. Gysberts is an under 18, picked at 11.

Why not compare him to Blease or Strauss? Cause Darn, at least Bail got on the park, albeit for 1 minute.

Keyboard recruiters. Gotta love them.

Please note that Fitzpatrick is more a forward than a ruckman, and from the limited footage I've seen, Gawn can mark and kick a footy, so there is nothing to suggest either of these won't become a multi-dimensional tall.

We went with what we believed was best available. You can't dispute that.

Nobody wants another Luke Molan!

Please note that Fitzpatrick is more a forward than a ruckman, and from the limited footage I've seen, Gawn can mark and kick a footy, so there is nothing to suggest either of these won't become a multi-dimensional tall.

We went with what we believed was best available. You can't dispute that.

Nobody wants another Luke Molan!

Well said.

They obviously wanted Gysberts and were ruthless on best available. Welcome Jordan to the MFC. May you be a 250 game champion, and a favourite of all.

They would have known he would have been available at 11 from a long way out

I get the feeling that this pick will be the making... or breaking, of BP's reptuation.

I'm not saying he stuffed it Jaded, I just think we're light on for key forwards and that could have been addressed at 11. Obviously BP and Melbourne think Gysberts is going to be a very good player, and they'd know infinitely better than I would. I'd like to have Jurrah as the number 3 forward option, but obviously they're happy with Watts and Jurrah as the combo leading forward.

Hmmmmmm,

This draft will go down in history as the draft that was "make or break". I get the impression that the dees will be moving on from Jnr Mac next year, with Bruce a few years after. Stocking up on mids is the plan as the dees plan to use Jurrah and Watts up forward. Green will finish his career down forward, so really we should be OK for forwards and backs going into 2010.

I can't lie, I was shocked with pick 11,18 and 50, That said, Jordan Gysberts is one of those hard in and under players which do not grow on trees, so we have to give him a chance to show what he has got. Tapscott surprised me ahead of some KPP forwards, but is highly rated and should be solid. I am still not sold on Fitzpatrick. Pick 50 is murky though so we don't lose anything.

And we needtot ease up on the Rohan Bail bashing. The dude has played 5 mins of AFL footy! Give him a season before the daggers come out.