The Daniel Talia Thread

Jurrah Coffee

Talia was the all-australian U18 CHB playing for Vic Metro. He's shown during games he is versatile and can play in multiple positions, mostly CHB. If we get him, he could possibly play a similar role to what Michael Hurley plays at the bombers and play forward. Highly doubt we'll get him at pick 2, but a chance to get him at pick 18 because of hamstring problems or we can get a high draft pick during trade week.

Talia was the all-australian U18 CHB playing for Vic Metro. He's shown during games he is versatile and can play in multiple positions, mostly CHB. If we get him, he could possibly play a similar role to what Michael Hurley plays at the bombers and play forward. Highly doubt we'll get him at pick 2, but a chance to get him at pick 18 because of hamstring problems or we can get a high draft pick during trade week.

Both he and his brother were on future stars the other day he is still having the hamstring trouble, but that's nothing compared to the trouble they must have doing their hair every morning.

Both he and his brother were on future stars the other day he is still having the hamstring trouble, but that's nothing compared to the trouble they must have doing their hair every morning.

hahaha true, i could imagine he would spend ages in the bathroom.

As for Daniel, i really rate the way he plays footy very mobile and gets a lot of ball up the ground.

Kind of like whats his name... um jack watts? But obviously not as good

If he slides to 18 due to his injury id be stunned. The only chance is he doesnt make it to draft camp and team dont risk him.

I don't think he'll slip past 10 to be perfectly honest. He is the #1 defensive tall in this draft, and has the ability to play forward and midfield as well. If he slipped to 18 we'd have to take him, but im not holding my breath.

Yeah I did see that. Must be Dale Thomas fans.

could he play forward?

or would he allow Garland to go forward?

i think there is only a slight chance that he will be there at pick 18 anyway, so he's probably not in MFC sights, but it would be great to snatch him

I think we'd need a minor miracle to draft him at 18.

• 1 month later...

Just want to get some peoples opinion on this kid. I thought he was touted as a top 5 pick? He was named CHB All Australian with the ability to go forward (a Hurley type perhaps). Where to people see him going i would love to get him at 11.

Just want to get some peoples opinion on this kid. I thought he was touted as a top 5 pick? He was named CHB All Australian with the ability to go forward (a Hurley type perhaps). Where to people see him going i would love to get him at 11.

I also heard him likened to Hurley and he also interviewed very well. He is ready to play almost straight away but is more comfortable at CHB rather than a KPF. But if we were to take him at 11, we obviously would have to see something in him as a forward. I certainly would be very happy if he slides to 11.

I think some of the Talia comparisons to Hurley are way off the mark IMHO.

They are totally 2 different types of players.

Just looking at their build you'd think so.

Haven't seen Talia in person, but he moves differently and I think you're on the money.

I only say Hurley type in the way that Hurleys stock position is in the back line as is Talias. But the Bombers are trying to turn him into a forward and looking at some of Talias TAC games i noticed he has been able to jag a few goals. I have also read that he is able to go into the midfield

STATE GAME STATS:

Matches: 5

Kicks: 8

Kicking Efficiency: 72.5%

Handballs: 10.6

Disposals: 18.6

Disposal Efficiency: 78.5%

Marks: 4.6

Contested Possessions: 7.4

Uncontested Possessions: 10.8

Clearances: 2.0

Tackles: 3.6

Goals: 0

Behinds: 0.4

He can stat up which means he can read the play. He got the highest stats in the carnival out of all the talls by a fair bit.

Edited by Clanger King

Could be wrong but remember reading somewhere that he suffered through injury this year, may have lowered his stocks a bit.

I think you're right regarding an injury to Talia. It remains to be seen whether his stocks may have been lowered as a result of the injury.

Did a hamstring not long after the Champs. Calder put him cotton wool, saying getting him right for his AFL club took precedent over TAC Cup commitments. Was never a top 5 pick, more looked at as a pick 10 – 25. Apparently a good athlete and highly competitive. Be more than happy to get him at 11 and he should be in the mix. Port possible takers at 8 or 9.

He seemed to be good as an attacking defender as well as being accountable. A player that others looked for and played through to get the ball moving forwards effectively, which may be why his TAC stats were so good compared to other talls. In the Scarlett mode, although I can only say this from the highlights package, I haven't seen him play live.

Guest Watts=Saviour

Based on the footage I saw, I thought he moved a bit like Jack Watts to be honest

Can't say I've seen a lot, but he looks good and I'd be happy to pick him up at 11 or 18.

Based on the footage I saw, I thought he moved a bit like Jack Watts to be honest

Can't say I've seen a lot, but he looks good and I'd be happy to pick him up at 11 or 18.

Yeah, thats what i thought when i first watched his highlights,

he has good mobility for a tall kid, the only thing i dont think he has is the ability to take bigf pack marks often as KF is recuired.

he is a clone of schoenmakers I reckon

I don't know about being a clone of Shoenmakers, but like him, at his height, he's (Talia) good enough to play a midfield role & tall back 7 will grow into a key position player. Like our own Morton, to have another of this versatile caliber would be fantastic for our future.

Edited by dee-luded

If Talia and butcher are both available at pick 11, who do we take??

Both at one time or another were the "must have" talls of the draft- now seeming sliding outside the top 10.

I am torn- we a desperate for a new forwardline which butcher could be a part of, but it seems that Talia carries less risk but prefers a backline role.

If Talia and butcher are both available at pick 11, who do we take??

Both at one time or another were the "must have" talls of the draft- now seeming sliding outside the top 10.

I am torn- we a desperate for a new forwardline which butcher could be a part of, but it seems that Talia carries less risk but prefers a backline role.

Butcher. Still rated as the best tall, and for all his flaws would be an absolute steal at 11. 11 is about Talia's rating, whereas Butcher should still be ranked at about 6 in this draft, but some chance to slide to 11.