NAB Cup

rumpole

All of the talk has been about the so-called regular season fixture but I'm just wondering if the AFL is going to screw us over again with the NAB Cup programme.

The last two years we've been drawn away to the reigning premiers in the opening NAB Cup round. We've been sent to Darwin, Adelaide & Cairns. At a time when clubs are working their butts off to build up memberships it would be nice if we could get a pre season cup game in Melbourne. Is it too much to ask?

All of the talk has been about the so-called regular season fixture but I'm just wondering if the AFL is going to screw us over again with the NAB Cup programme.

The last two years we've been drawn away to the reigning premiers in the opening NAB Cup round. We've been sent to Darwin, Adelaide & Cairns. At a time when clubs are working their butts off to build up memberships it would be nice if we could get a pre season cup game in Melbourne. Is it too much to ask?

Yes it is. We will be playing Geelong at Skilled, Saints at Cararra or Dogs in Darwin.

We will however be offered Gold Coast at Cararra in 2011 if we finish bottom 3 in 2010.

Edited by Redleg

Its like this

Get a crowd to watch our games otherwise get told where to play

Winning games would be a decent start

You have missed the point. This is the pre season competition and it should be used to give lower teams a heads up so that they can get some membership and momentum for the real season that follows. What is the point of playing us somewhere that our supporters can't get to and against a team that we can't beat. It just condemns us to a struggle once again to get members and sponsors.

You have missed the point. This is the pre season competition and it should be used to give lower teams a heads up so that they can get some membership and momentum for the real season that follows. What is the point of playing us somewhere that our supporters can't get to and against a team that we can't beat. It just condemns us to a struggle once again to get members and sponsors.

The pre-season comp is basically an opportunity for the AFL to play some matches in developing regions to give the game some more exposure when nobody in the heartland is really that interested in the comp at that time of year. Drawing us against the reigning premiers two years in a row is not great but in reality there probably isnt a better time to play them, and we should have beaten the HAwks last year if we hadn't gone defensive in the last quarter in Tassie

Um...

Who cares?

It's the NAB cup. I couldn't care less about the NAB cup (unless we were serious premiership contenders, in which case I'd hope we try our hardest because of the financial bonus a team gets if they win the NAB cup and the Premiership).

I care. I want the opportunity to see us play after waiting over 5 months. I want to see our new recruits up close and the development of the rest of the list. If we lose the first match we have over a month to wait until round 1 of the real stuff. I know there are practice matches but the NAB cup is a level above that which gives us a little better indication on how these players are tracking.

I care. I want the opportunity to see us play after waiting over 5 months. I want to see our new recruits up close and the development of the rest of the list. If we lose the first match we have over a month to wait until round 1 of the real stuff. I know there are practice matches but the NAB cup is a level above that which gives us a little better indication on how these players are tracking.

That's fair enough. Not sure how indicative our NAB cup campaign will be of our season proper though.

We should have beaten the hawks we were over 30 points up in the 4th qt,and with hawks injuies going into the season,it was not hard game first up, we just [censored] our self the the last qt

Agree Pello. As aclub, the NAB cup is very important, gain early momentum and some winning confidence going into R! of teh big stuff. I hope we get a fair crack at it!

If we beat Hawthorn in Tasmania last year, which we had every chance to do so, it would have been a big boost for membership, momentum and sponsorship. The same applies this year against whoever we play.

I don't understand what you mean buy it 'should be used to give lower teams a heads up'? An easy game against a crap team in Melbourne? I think a win against a top 4 team interstate would do more for our exposure than two [censored] teams nobody cares about playing at Princes Park in front of 5,000 people.

You have opportunities to see MFC train, play practice matches & play for points 11 months a year. The NAB Cup is the only opportunity for regional supporters to go and see a match and its a half baked one at that.

I don't understand what the sooking is about. It seems everything just gets framed as an AFL conspiracy against MFC and its supporters nobody what happens.

I went to Tassie this year it was GREAT !! I hope they play us on the Gold coast next year, It's good chance to get away and watch the Dees at the same time.

We should have beaten the hawks we were over 30 points up in the 4th qt,and with hawks injuies going into the season,it was not hard game first up, we just [censored] our self the the last qt

We held our nerve in our first fine display of tanking for the season :lol: