Draftee Ratings

Keyser Söze

saw him play 3 times this year for stingrays, he will be drafted, 3rd rounder at best.

Doubtful Ryan will last beyond pick 20, he has speed, endurance and a lethal kick. It wouldn't shock me to see him taken in the 8 -12 range but I see more probably see him going around 18-24.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like he's just rating the draft camp invitees at this stage.

It's worth noting that none of these 'ratings' are Matt Burgan's. He's simply estimating where players may go in the draft based on his conversations with recruiters, clubs, player managers, etc.

It's worth noting that none of these 'ratings' are Matt Burgan's. He's simply estimating where players may go in the draft based on his conversations with recruiters, clubs, player managers, etc.

That would make the rankings more accurate than 90% of the information we get on various media platforms and websites. The combination of his work and Emma Q's gives a fair indication of events for draft day.

That would make the rankings more accurate than 90% of the information we get on various media platforms and websites. The combination of his work and Emma Q's gives a fair indication of events for draft day.

Yes. And if we're looking for a KPF at 11 and possibly 18 these are the tall forwards candidates he lists:

Aaron Black (10-25)

John Butcher (5-20)

Jake Carlisle (5-20)

Ben Griffiths (10-35)

Daniel Talia (8-25)

Panos is rated later

Guest Lily Allen
Yes. And if we're looking for a KPF at 11 and possibly 18 these are the tall forwards candidates he lists:

Aaron Black (10-25)

John Butcher (5-20)

Jake Carlisle (5-20)

Ben Griffiths (10-35)

Daniel Talia (8-25)

Panos is rated later

Hardly any decent info from him here. Any person with even a small interest in the draft could have come up with this.

Hardly any decent info from him here. Any person with even a small interest in the draft could have come up with this.

True, there's a hundred phantom drafts on BigFooty all of varying quality and many just following the leader.

I could make one up and it would be worth jack.

But Emma Quayle and Matt Burgan have good records with their predictions.

The fact that he rates Panos out of our zone whereas quite a few BF phantoms have him going to Port is instructive.

The early ranges he's set on those players is also instructive.

5 means North or Sydney might be the first interested

8 means Port

10 means us and Carlton because Essendon will probably take a mid.

Is anyone starting to feel that there are only 1 or 2 tall forwards worthy of pick 11 or 18.

Pick 11- Butcher appears only worthy tall foward of that pick

Pick 18- Aaron Black, Panos, Carlisle all appear worthy of that pick.

Would it maybe be worth picking best available at pick 11 and then going for a tall at 18 and again perhaps at 34.

E.g.

Pick 1- Scully

Pick 2- Trengove

Pick 11- top 10 sliders---- Lucas, Rohan, Jetta, Tapscott, Cunnington, Sheppard--- all legitimately worthy of pick 11. Better one of these guyz than a tall forward who doesn't deserve to be picked so high (Luke Molan anyone?)

Pick 18- best available Tall forward- there are a number who are worthy of pick 18, including Carlisle, Black, Temel, Panos, Butcher, Fitzpatric, Vardy (ruckman)

Pick 34- A smoky tall forward or a tall forward that has slipped through... someone we think we can develop

Pick 18- best available Tall forward- there are a number who are worthy of pick 18, including Carlisle, Black, Temel, Panos, Butcher, Fitzpatrick, Vardy (ruckman)

Thought I'd post this link for Nathan Vardy for those who haven't seen him.

http://www.afldraftinfo.com/2009/08/nathan...ic-country.html

From the Matt Burgan link on ruckmen: -

Nathan Vardy (Gippsland Power, VIC)

Height: 198cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 25/06/91

Recruited from: Allies

Regarded by many recruiters as the best ruckman in this year's pool, Vardy is agile and has fine foot skills. He is a chance to sneak into the top 10 and is unlikely to slip past 25.

Draft range: 8-25

Is anyone starting to feel that there are only 1 or 2 tall forwards worthy of pick 11 or 18.

Pick 11- Butcher appears only worthy tall foward of that pick

Pick 18- Aaron Black, Panos, Carlisle all appear worthy of that pick.

Would it maybe be worth picking best available at pick 11 and then going for a tall at 18 and again perhaps at 34.

E.g.

Pick 1- Scully

Pick 2- Trengove

Pick 11- top 10 sliders---- Lucas, Rohan, Jetta, Tapscott, Cunnington, Sheppard--- all legitimately worthy of pick 11. Better one of these guyz than a tall forward who doesn't deserve to be picked so high (Luke Molan anyone?)

Pick 18- best available Tall forward- there are a number who are worthy of pick 18, including Carlisle, Black, Temel, Panos, Butcher, Fitzpatric, Vardy (ruckman)

Pick 34- A smoky tall forward or a tall forward that has slipped through... someone we think we can develop

I'd cream my jeans if Cunnington fell to 11, but there is absolutely no chance of that happening. He is firmly top 5.

Butcher and Lucas would both be a steal at 11. Realistically I'd like Aaron Black or Carlisle.

Panos should not be in contention for pick 18 - I agree with Burgan's rating that he could slip all the way to the rookie draft.

Temel is not as good as Panos. Vardy for mine, or one of Black, Carlisle, Talia or Griffiths if one slides (griff most likely).

Maybe another slider if they are decent. I think Stevens will still be around at this stage.

No I'm not, Burgan has said 5 are in contention at 11.

And it's quite likely that some of them will be gone by then and very possible all of them by 18.

That's the point of the post about his rankings.

Unless

- the cream of the 5 KPFs as rated by Barry Prendergast has been picked out by 11 OR

- there's a midfield slider that is clearly best available and too good to pass up at 11

I reckon we'll be picking one of those 5

Edited by old55

The one thing that seems to remain constant about drafts over the years is that seldom does everything go according to expectations. There will be some surprises and opportunities this year that will be unforecast. Whether thats there for us to snaffle is another thing entirely.

The knock on effect that is caused by one change of predicted ( expected by a club ) pick can always throw up chances :)

We have 2 relatively un-locked picks at present..ought to be interesting

I like the look of Andrew Moore, and I happen to know that his family are long time Dees fans (at least they were until Kelvin was drafted by Richmond) Burgan rates him as going between 8-20. I reckon drafting him at #18 is a winner.

Panos should not be in contention for pick 18 - I agree with Burgan's rating that he could slip all the way to the rookie draft.

He should still go second round, at least. Burgan only said that some recruiters said he'd go to rookie draft....and his word is not gospel, despite being knowledgeable.

He should still go second round, at least. Burgan only said that some recruiters said he'd go to rookie draft....and his word is not gospel, despite being knowledgeable.

I know his word is not gospel, but I'm saying that I don't rate Panos anywhere near as much as some ppl seem to.

I think that there is every chance he'll be like Tom Rockliff and slide all the way down the pecking order to the tail end of the draft and possibly into the rookie draft.

He does a few things well, but there is nothing exceptional about him.

He may go 2nd round, but I don't believe he should be in contention for pick 18. This is purely my view.

Edited by Keyser Söze

I know his word is not gospel, but I'm saying that I don't rate Panos anywhere near as much as some ppl seem to.

I think that there is every chance he'll be like Tom Rockliff and slide all the way down the pecking order to the tail end of the draft and possibly into the rookie draft.

He does a few things well, but there is nothing exceptional about him.

He may go 2nd round, but I don't believe he should be in contention for pick 18. This is purely my view.

Fair enough but something doesnt seem right.....

(from Phantom Draft thread)

I'll give it a crack for shits & giggles.

Top 5 pretty much set in stone...

1. - Melb - Scully

2. - Melb - Trengove

3. - Rich - Martin

16. - Port - Tapscott

17. - Geel - Panos

18. - Melb - Vardy

:huh:

Fair enough but something doesnt seem right.....

(from Phantom Draft thread)

:huh:

Obviously changed my mind from when I did a spur of the moment phantom with little consideration.

I've never rated him personally, but now I see that its not just me.

I'm sure I could go through your old posts and find some where you've contradicted yourself.

But hey, congratulations, you're a star. Well done.

How about having an opinion of your own that's worth reading?

Thanks for that link Keyser. In my opinion of those in that link, Travis Colyer IMO is the best. (excl. mature age Jetta). Christensen for mine, appeared slow when I saw him take the field against WA (live). He was on and off the ground all day as if being used as a burst player. The burst never came.

I have posted a number of times that I would be happy if we secured Colyer. Perhaps pick 18 or 34 would do it. I think he might be gone before 34 though. So chances are that if we go KPP options at 11 and 18 we will likely miss him.

Some are worried about his height. However, he has lightning pace, can play inside/outside and can burn his direct opponent. His disposal on the run might not be 100% perfect, but it's not sh!thouse either.

edit: If Melbourne are very keen on improving or bolstering the pace concept along with the addition of Scully, Colyer would be ideal.

Edited by High Tower

Thanks for that link Keyser. In my opinion of those in that link, Travis Colyer IMO is the best. (excl. mature age Jetta). Christensen for mine, appeared slow when I saw him take the field against WA (live). He was on and off the ground all day as if being used as a burst player. The burst never came.

I have posted a number of times that I would be happy if we secured Colyer. Perhaps pick 18 or 34 would do it. I think he might be gone before 34 though. So chances are that if we go KPP options at 11 and 18 we will likely miss him.

Some are worried about his height. However, he has lightning pace, can play inside/outside and can burn his direct opponent. His disposal on the run might not be 100% perfect, but it's not sh!thouse either.

edit: If Melbourne are very keen on improving or bolstering the pace concept along with the addition of Scully, Colyer would be ideal.

No worries HT. Still don't know much about Colyer myself.

I'd prefer to go for KPF with pick 11 and 18, depending on who is left. If Lucas or Rohan slip we have to take them.

Anyway, today we have the cream of the cream - Medium Midfielders - http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tab...80/default.aspx