2009 Player Review - # 23 James McDonald

Demonland

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon James will play most of the year as a small backman. He did well in that role in the latter half of 2009. He's hard at it, leads by example, has a cool head, his disposal is fine and has always been the best tackler at the club.

Agree.

To the opening poster, you said it yourself: -

macdonald played 18 games for 2009 and finished equal 9th in the B&F.

He is in our best 22. He is on a 1 year contract, because rarely does a club give a 33yo a two year contract. It will be a year to year proposition. McDonald's form was good at the end of 2009 season. He is held in high regard to the club as a leader of the list.

I have more faith in James McDonald than a lot of people on here. His last 6 weeks were very good. He is a late bloomer aswell; winning the 06 and 07 Blueys and being AA in 06.

For those who don't think he should be on the list - you must have a severe fondness for Rookie Selection 50. Because that is the spot he is taking.

For those who don't think he is the best leader of the club - you have a narrow, and naive, view of leadership. Your view of leadership is not something to be attacked, but to be pitied.

You can lead in many different ways, and James McDonald is an honest leader who has been able to get the most out himself and if he can inspire the younger players at our club to do the same - we will be fine as a club.

given we have a lot of youth. the fact melbourne came last this year and macdonald has voted 9th best player,,,he's on a one year contract...he's on his way out,,,

You're kidding? Get out of here!! :lol:

Its ironic that the most logical replacement for Junior came 11th in the B&F and we traded him for pick 11.

I reckon James will play most of the year as a small backman. He did well in that role in the latter half of 2009. He's hard at it, leads by example, has a cool head, his disposal is fine and has always been the best tackler at the club.

Spot on and rpfc nails it as well

You won't get bashed.

I just pity your ignorance.

x2.

Hard upbringing?

You won't get bashed.

I just pity your ignorance.

and i pity your arrogance. Don't want to tread on old ground because i have said this before on DL, but i think he makes too many mistakes like dropping marks and things like that. Personally when it changed over from Neitz, i would've put Brad Green captain, as he was clearly our best player.

and i pity your arrogance. Don't want to tread on old ground because i have said this before on DL, but i think he makes too many mistakes like dropping marks and things like that. Personally when it changed over from Neitz, i would've put Brad Green captain, as he was clearly our best player.

Arrogance isn't something to be pitied.

Mistakes you can live with - players are human after all.

It is weak efforts and not going when it is your turn that cannot be excused. Fortunately for McDonald (and the MFC) he performs brilliantly in this area.

The days of having the best player in the side as captain are gone and so should they be.

To think otherwise shows a true misunderstanding of leadership and the requirements of a club captaincy.

By the measures of a great leader there can be no other choice but Junior.

Your antiquated views embarrass you.

Edit: And in the outside chance you are basing this all completely on on-field form, you clearly don't understand or underestimate the importance of the other roles a captain must perform.

When it is spoken about leading by example, it does not merely refer to the way a player takes a game by the scruff of the neck. This is only a part.

It is referring to all facets of a professional footballers life. It has been said many times that the club is trying to create not just good young footballers, but good young men.

McDonald's leadership will go a long way to doing this.

Edited by Keyser Söze

I like Brad Green as a footballer and he is as honest a trier as you will get. Does not shirk a contest either

But I cant think of a game that he has really nailed as BOG for MFC of recent years.

I'd like him as a leader but the problem is I dont think the players view him as a leader. Thats an issue.

I don't expect him to play many games. He'll be "injured" most of the year is my bet. I think he and the club have conceded that he is better off acting as a mentor for the upcoming leaders and future midfielders than actually playing. I don't see why he would be a regular player, when our how mentality over the past 12 months has been to groom the younger players. Playing Mcdonald, although he is our spiritual leader, doesn't really fit in with that, especially considering he probably isn't even in the top 300 players in the league.

I don't expect him to play many games. He'll be "injured" most of the year is my bet. I think he and the club have conceded that he is better off acting as a mentor for the upcoming leaders and future midfielders than actually playing. I don't see why he would be a regular player, when our how mentality over the past 12 months has been to groom the younger players. Playing Mcdonald, although he is our spiritual leader, doesn't really fit in with that, especially considering he probably isn't even in the top 300 players in the league.

Disagree. McDonald will provide experience and leadership on the ground next year, as well as off the field. If his body remains as sound as it was the last several weeks of the 2009 season, I can see him being a regular contributor for Melbourne in 2010.

i know i'm going to get bashed, but i have said it before, shouldn't of been captain last year, or this year

I don't agree, but I see why people think this way. Not the stupidest thing ever said on demonland. I would like to see who you'd have replaced him with though. Likewise, who you would have had in Neita's place had he not played his last 2 seasons.

I reckon James will play most of the year as a small backman.

Correct. Can lead and set up from there, as well as educate the younger guys, use his voice.

I'm not saying he'll play 22, but I think he's going to surprise a number of people on this site next year. The drop off in responsibility and the fact he won't cop it in the guts as he has his whole career could lead to a bit of an upturn in effectiveness.

Arrogance isn't something to be pitied.

Mistakes you can live with - players are human after all.

It is weak efforts and not going when it is your turn that cannot be excused. Fortunately for McDonald (and the MFC) he performs brilliantly in this area.

The days of having the best player in the side as captain are gone and so should they be.

To think otherwise shows a true misunderstanding of leadership and the requirements of a club captaincy.

Edit: And in the outside chance you are basing this all completely on on-field form, you clearly don't understand or underestimate the importance of the other roles a captain must perform.

When it is spoken about leading by example, it does not merely refer to the way a player takes a game by the scruff of the neck. This is only a part.

It is referring to all facets of a professional footballers life. It has been said many times that the club is trying to create not just good young footballers, but good young men.

McDonald's leadership will go a long way to doing this.

Are you James McDonald?

jesus pal, just voicing my opinion on captaincy. This may be a minority view, but imo being a leader on the field is more important than being a leader off the field. And as you try and undermine my opinion over and over, realize that he has been captain for a couple of years now, and i would say a good number of people don't even know who Melbourne's captain is. That's great that he does stuff behind the scenes and makes decisions that are super important.

But you also have to remember that winning games ON the field is the point of playing the game

Are you James McDonald?

jesus pal, just voicing my opinion on captaincy. This may be a minority view, but imo being a leader on the field is more important than being a leader off the field. And as you try and undermine my opinion over and over, realize that he has been captain for a couple of years now, and i would say a good number of people don't even know who Melbourne's captain is. That's great that he does stuff behind the scenes and makes decisions that are super important.

But you also have to remember that winning games ON the field is the point of playing the game

No, but I disagree with your assertion and I've put up an argument for my side.

I'm waiting for you to do the same, but I fear may be waiting some time for a compelling argument from you on this topic...

Winning games on the field? Ok, name which player on the list would've won more games if he had the captaincy.

Waiting...

If you are going to say he should not be captain, you need to tell me who should and give decent reasons why.

So the days of the best player in the side being the captain?

What about ??? Judd, Loyd, Goodes, Brown, Reiwolt, Pavlich, Harvey, Cox, Goodes, etc, etc, etc

so big players amongst that group...

I think if you have two players,,,one has great leadership and one is a fantastic player and leader...it's obvious...that you take the fantastic player/leader...

No, but I disagree with your assertion and I've put up an argument for my side.

I'm waiting for you to do the same, but I fear may be waiting some time for a compelling argument from you on this topic...

Winning games on the field? Ok, name which player on the list would've won more games if he had the captaincy.

Waiting...

If you are going to say he should not be captain, you need to tell me who should and give decent reasons why.

Fine, want to drag me in to some question and answer on a bunch of hypotheticals that first of all never happened and never will happen?

Winning games on field. OK, Brad Green is a better player, tackle, kick, handball, goal kicker, defender, midfielder and forward. He outranks McDonald in all of these things. He was in the leadership group, and i assume will return.

I am saying when the captaincy changed hands, i would've given it to Green instead of McDonald. Which is something i have already said.

do you want make and more derogatory statements or questions??

waiting.....

So the days of the best player in the side being the captain?

What about ??? Judd, Loyd, Goodes, Brown, Reiwolt, Pavlich, Harvey, Cox, Goodes, etc, etc, etc

so big players amongst that group...

I think if you have two players,,,one has great leadership and one is a fantastic player and leader...it's obvious...that you take the fantastic player/leader...

Yes, if you have that.

But you don't don't pick the best player if they have inferior leadership skills to another in the side.

That is what the position is all about. Otherwise it becomes just a title.

You often find the qualities that make a player so good are the same ones that make them a good leader.

But there are times when the captaincy is better performed by a player that isn't necessarily seen as being in the best 5 or even 10 players at a club.

Worked just fine for Geelong.

Fine, want to drag me in to some question and answer on a bunch of hypotheticals that first of all never happened and never will happen?

Winning games on field. OK, Brad Green is a better player, tackle, kick, handball, goal kicker, defender, midfielder and forward. He outranks McDonald in all of these things. He was in the leadership group, and i assume will return.

I am saying when the captaincy changed hands, i would've given it to Green instead of McDonald. Which is something i have already said.

do you want make and more derogatory statements or questions??

waiting.....

So... you're basing it on stats? Really?

I've said the position is about more than just on-field performance.

And are you saying with Green as captain we'd have won more games?

You are the one who brought up this hypothetical.