Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2009 Player Review - # 7 Brad Miller

Demonland

Brad Miller – Brad started the year well. He had more shots at goal this year, compared to last season, but he let himself down with inaccurate kicking. We really value him in our leadership group. He is really good at teaching our young players, like Jurrah and Watts. Brad is a selfless player, but he didn't have a big enough impact on games because he didn't finish off his work in front of goal - Sean Wellman on Melbournefc.com.au

but he didn't have a big enough impact on games because he didn't finish off his work in front of goal - Sean Wellman

damming isnt it !! :mellow:

You would have to think he's on the table ! :unsure:

I was quite inpressed in the manner he had applied himlelf and changed his game up some, but alas he as SW says just doesnt hurt the opposition where it counts....the scoreboard. A footy team at this level cant be a benevolent get together it must have teeth !!

Prognosis re Miller cant be too healthy

Wouldn't mind Miller continuing his career - gives his all every single time, does some nice grunt work in forward 50, just a poor set shot and doesn't have a lot of confidence going back.

Might find himself unlucky as we look for some spots for the new kids.

I think he has a place in the side. With some talent coming through, a bit of maturity will be more important than ever. I don't think he'll be keeping anyone out of the side at this stage. He just doesn't have the competition.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
damming isnt it !! :mellow:

You would have to think he's on the table ! :unsure:

I was quite inpressed in the manner he had applied himlelf and changed his game up some, but alas he as SW says just doesnt hurt the opposition where it counts....the scoreboard. A footy team at this level cant be a benevolent get together it must have teeth !!

Prognosis re Miller cant be too healthy

It was damning considering that he went out of his way to talk up 99% of the list. I like Brad. Tries hard, works hard and has a hot wife but he just isn't good enough at AFL level. If somebody offers us a good trade for him we should take it.

It was damning considering that he went out of his way to talk up 99% of the list. I like Brad. Tries hard, works hard and has a hot wife but he just isn't good enough at AFL level. If somebody offers us a good trade for him we should take it.

I don't know how damming it was, thought it was quite glowing except for the fact that he's not converting.

What would we possibly get for miller? Nothing. He has much more value in the side and as was previously pointed out. I don't know who is going to be pushing for his spot?

I don't think he'll be keeping anyone out of the side at this stage. He just doesn't have the competition.

That doesn't matter. If he's not up to the task, he should be delisted, regardless of who else is on the list.

Bitterly disappointing year from Miller. I, like a few others, backed him in after a reasonably good year last year, but this year he looked little more than a symptom of a rubbish side. He's now 26 and still hasn't blossomed in to a consistently good AFL grade player, and being in and out of our side that finished last and was desperate for goal kickers is as damning as it gets. He's in exactly the same boat as Newton, but he's the unlucky one of the two who is out of contract. It's all over.

Brad Gets one more year from me. It's put up or shut up time

Very Similiar to Sylvia in 2009. Colin stepped up & lets hope he gets even better.

It's time for Brad Miller to do the same.

I hope he stays in 2010, as long as he is committed to doing it properly.

Kicking Drills everyday please Brad!!!!

That doesn't matter. If he's not up to the task, he should be delisted, regardless of who else is on the list.

Bitterly disappointing year from Miller. I, like a few others, backed him in after a reasonably good year last year, but this year he looked little more than a symptom of a rubbish side. He's now 26 and still hasn't blossomed in to a consistently good AFL grade player, and being in and out of our side that finished last and was desperate for goal kickers is as damning as it gets. He's in exactly the same boat as Newton, but he's the unlucky one of the two who is out of contract. It's all over.

Disagree. When Jack tires, Jurrah gets injured, Newton fades and needs to be dropped we'll be screaming out for a different target up forward who can at least get to the drop of the footy and contest. We have hardly anyone capable of taking a hard hit. Oh, and Garland, who everyone has drifting forward this year, could be in a moonboot again...

Miller stays. For depth at least. You can't go into a season undermanned in any one area, or it makes other player types come under more pressure. eg 2009, we had no rucks, and the midfield copped it all year.

Disagree. When Jack tires, Jurrah gets injured, Newton fades and needs to be dropped we'll be screaming out for a different target up forward who can at least get to the drop of the footy and contest. We have hardly anyone capable of taking a hard hit. Oh, and Garland, who everyone has drifting forward this year, could be in a moonboot again...

Miller stays. For depth at least. You can't go into a season undermanned in any one area, or it makes other player types come under more pressure. eg 2009, we had no rucks, and the midfield copped it all year.

Miller hasn't come on, will he in 2010? I don't know. But if those at the club think that he cannot develop into that forward that has become is only attainable option they should cut ties.

Depth is overrated. If Watts, Jurrah, and Bate are out (I have no idea why you mentioned Newton) we will struggle. You can't replace your best players.

As an aside, I hope you are not using the rare appearances of Jamar, Meesen or Spencer, or their deficiencies as a scapegoat for our midfield.

We have an ordinary (and young) midfield. They have trouble getting the ball, tracking those that get the ball, and they have all sorts of trouble kicking the ball properly to the forward line.

Miller hasn't come on, will he in 2010? I don't know. But if those at the club think that he cannot develop into that forward that has become is only attainable option they should cut ties.

Depth is overrated. If Watts, Jurrah, and Bate are out (I have no idea why you mentioned Newton) we will struggle. You can't replace your best players.

Definitely. I've likened Brad Miller as a night watchman. Just filling in and taking the short stuff until day breaks and someone better comes in.

2010 is the new day.

My premise is that if you're not up to the task of being useful 22 rounds a year, or close to, then you're not useful at all. Miller is useful for about 10 rounds a year if that. We've waited forever for him to become useful more often and he just hasn't. He is clogging the list.

As rpfc said, if all those disaster scenarios happened at once then we're stuffed anyway. It would make no difference whether we had Miller in the side, or some other NQR kid we pick up in the ND to fill his space. At least with the kid, there's always the remote possibility that he might become consistently useful in the future.

Personally I reckon in footy that you're better off with the devil you don't know than the hack you do.

Brad certainly hasn't lived up to my early expectations. For a few seasons I was critical that he had not been left to settle in a position, but under Bails he has been given every opportunity to make a key forward post his own, but hasn't managed to cement a spot in a team bereft of key forwards. Must now be on very 'thin ice' at the MFC.

He's now 26 and still hasn't blossomed in to a consistently good AFL grade player, and being in and out of our side that finished last and was desperate for goal kickers is as damning as it gets.

A fair assessment of how he went.

I won't be surprised if he's not playing for the Dees in 2010.

I think he deserves another season. Its obvious that he isnt a forward, he simply lacks the confidence. I think it was the game against Richmond where he was moved into a midfield position and did very well. He added some much needed strength and tried his guts out - i thought he did great. He's not a forward, but i would like to see more of him on the wing/hb.

I think he deserves another season. Its obvious that he isnt a forward, he simply lacks the confidence. I think it was the game against Richmond where he was moved into a midfield position and did very well. He added some much needed strength and tried his guts out - i thought he did great. He's not a forward, but i would like to see more of him on the wing/hb.

My understanding is that Miller is out of contract and has had plenty of time to cement his place in the team. If we continually keep players we like because they are good spare parts players or otherwise, who do we delist. Wheatley, Whelen and Robbo have gone, Miller could well be decent trade bait because he is only 26. With this last semi-uncompromised draft I'm sure the club will be looking at having 6 or 7 selections Somebody has to go.

My understanding is that Miller is out of contract and has had plenty of time to cement his place in the team. If we continually keep players we like because they are good spare parts players or otherwise, who do we delist. Wheatley, Whelen and Robbo have gone, Miller could well be decent trade bait because he is only 26. With this last semi-uncompromised draft I'm sure the club will be looking at having 6 or 7 selections Somebody has to go.

You might be right Theo, and i wouldnt be against a trade if a deal was done in favour of the club.

If not, i would hope the club gives him another season. Its hardly being given a chance when he was left up forward - even the casual football supporter could see he lacked the confidence to be up there. As i said, his game is much better around the ground.

Guess we'll see what the future hold for Brad in the coming months.

If we don't trade pick 11 or 18, I can't see us using pick 50.

As such, we only need to move on 2 more players? Miller and Bartram would be my two most likely candidates as I see more upside in Cheney, Buckley etc.

As an aside, I hope you are not using the rare appearances of Jamar, Meesen or Spencer, or their deficiencies as a scapegoat for our midfield.

We have an ordinary (and young) midfield. They have trouble getting the ball, tracking those that get the ball, and they have all sorts of trouble kicking the ball properly to the forward line.

You make good posts.

Is it just me or has Miller's kicking got worse in the last 1-2 years? He inspires the same confidence that Jamar does when lining up these days. Even Russian can kick a bag though! It's all in the confidence with Miller, which I find strange. He has no confidence when trying to slot the ball through for a goal, yet he has the confidence to try the tough stuff with absolutely anyone in the competition. I reckon if he got his head right he could kick 30 goals or more in a season. Guess he's got next year to try that. Another season like 2009 and he could not justify a place on our list.

A forward that can't kick is about as useful as a condom with holes in it. Sure the intention is right, but you know that there is a high risk you are not going to get the job done right.

Millers marking and efforts are good, but a forward must kick goals. Miller goes around another year given the Brock has left leaving another gap in leadership for kids coming through the system.

I really like Brad both as a player and as a person, if 2010 doesn't work for him then it could be his last in red and blue.

Sadly for Brad he is warming a seat for Watts at this stage.

why is he still on a list. Its worst then bloody Paul Wheatly remaining on our list for so bloody long. The guy is a serious spud. Admitedly he works his butt off and I admire how hard he tries but he just goes missing, usually for the whole game. If he drops another bloody chest mark I swear there could be anarchy. Why would Melbourne keep him and not Robbo, and to say leadership is crap because if i was Watts or Jurrah i'd be looking up to our 3rd leading goal kicking of all time not some spud in which they are already twice as good as

Ok then. We have to delist half the list then. Miller hasn't come on as well as would have liked, but who will replace him? What good will it do to have a forward like of all smalls? What do they learn? You've been around here too long to just say "delist" to any player you don't like. There has to be replacements waiting in the wings. And there just aren't enough.

So what's the alternative? Do you really think DB will go into a season with 2 2nd year players and a CHF? We don't have the incoming cattle to be able to just get rid of Miller on a whim. Don't get me wrong, I think for out future, if we can get someone young to hold down a spot, then it'd work well for Miller to go. If Temel and Butcher for example were both headed for the dees, then we have names. But EVEN THEN our major forwards wouldn't be out of their teens. It's just not realistic. You want to get even more angry, I bet next year if Newton does nothing he'll be gone, freeing up another place.

I mentioned Newton in my last post because he's on the list, and if he stays there, he'll play games next year in the forward line. If you're not mentioning him because you don't think he'll get games, then it's hard to take your post seriously.

No no. Just an example. Though I will say that we looked a lot better in the midfield with a seasoned ruckman taking the taps.

Personally I reckon in footy that you're better off with the devil you don't know than the hack you do.

I disagree... If that theory is correct, then we should have a team chock full of 19 year olds. We get beaten by 80 points every week. What does the side learn?

You think the Hawks made it all the way like this? No. They had mature heads teaching the way, and leading. Some were lucky enough to play their last game in a flag. Others captained the side through disaster and then retired with nothing.

The truth is, where possible you get rid of your dead wood. We had that much that we needed three seasons to do it. Now that the majority is gone, we are left with a lot of younger kids who need games. Of our bigger forwards that currently are first picked, no-brainers... only Jurrah and Bate qualify. Of the rest - Watts, Garland, Dunn, Martin, Newton. They are either on thin ice or too young, or not ready to play one out in the forward line.

There's far too much education still to get into guys like Watts to just drop Miller on the whim of cranky fans who want to see potential, potential, potential. The best players gets there through hard work and perseverance, as well as solid on-ground leadership. Miller in the best we have in this regard.