Newton - what's he made of?

Disco Demons

ok...so your newton...you have just finished a the year in the reserves....everyone wants to trade you or delist you...you have a year left on your contract. somehow he makes it through trade week and ends up on melbs list for another year....wouldn't that be great inspiration to train super hard over the preseason and prove everyone wrong...the guy really owes it to himself...personally i think he's crap....but i would be happy to prove me wrong...for melb!

Despite some improvements in attitude this season, I hold no hope for this player. Simply he has a questionable attitude, is extremly poor under pressure, is a pathetic set shot for goal as a FF, has sub standard skills beneth his knees and most importantly he has failed to take his opportunities in this the sport of "opportunities". He must go and I beleive the FD will find a way to rid itself of him just as it found a way not to win five games.

In the unlikely event Newton is still on our list next year, I will once again support him as a Melbourne brother, wishing he could some how bring his very brief glimpses of brillance to his eveyday game........................ but the reality is he does not have what it takes, he is not made of the right stuff and has become a classic list clogger. Infact if he survives Clogger should be his new nick name.

Saying that good luck to him in life with all his pursuits. I would love him to prove us all wrong, but would prefer our odds to win the premiership next year than the odds of Newton making it in the AFL.

Edited by Grand New Flag

I still rate him. a great mark, extremely agile, plays taller than his height..has some serious forward line pressure (which was a percevied weakness), and some much needed aggression, has a good kicking technique in my opinion (just needs to kick the ones he should, as he gets the ones no1 expects him too).

He'll make it

I still rate him. a great mark, extremely agile, plays taller than his height..has some serious forward line pressure (which was a percevied weakness), and some much needed aggression, has a good kicking technique in my opinion (just needs to kick the ones he should, as he gets the ones no1 expects him too).

He'll make it

The Trengove thread is over there Freak. This is the 'Newton thread.'

He'll make it

I agree with all of that, except the last sentence.

He COULD make it. There's no way known that he WILL.

I just reckon this will be pressure on him at it's best. 22 rounds, along with a pre-season and NAB cup... and THAT'S IT. The big thing is, if he DID come in and kick a few bags, the problem is all will be forgiven. And with the incoming and maturing midfield, there's a chance that his delivery will be more useful with some REALLY good kicks expected to play a lot of footy... Strauss, Trengove (hopefully), Blease... to go with Davey and Sylvia who are very good field kicks. With no more KP forwards coming through (I still don't think Watts will do much next year) he'll have a lovely situation where he'll be needed to play at some stage, and will probably not have too much competition for space.

If the midfield improves, the forwards will look a LOT better... Simply because they couldn't look worse.

The problem is... will Juice be one of those players that does great things ONLY when it's negotiation time? ie Will he only be goo when it's nearly curtains time?

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Newton - what's he made of?

Suger, spice and everything nice.

That might seem rude to him but I don't care. To me he is a list clogger and NAFA. I hope he proves me wrong but I doubt it very much.

He'll make it

He's a goner then.

Apparently he has no flaws either.

He has to think, Robbo gone, Jurrah coming on but more of a medium size forward, Watts more than likely to be played regardless and more a a HFF than FF, Miller more a CHF, this FF spot is mine for the taking no more second fiddle. I need to work my arse off and make that position mine, I want to be a 50 goal per year AFL Full Forward in 2010.

Does he think like this, if he does he may prove us all wrong, if he continues in what we see a very lazy approach to his football, 2010 will be his last AFL season.

He has to think, Robbo gone, Jurrah coming on but more of a medium size forward, Watts more than likely to be played regardless and more a a HFF than FF, Miller more a CHF, this FF spot is mine for the taking no more second fiddle. I need to work my arse off and make that position mine, I want to be a 50 goal per year AFL Full Forward in 2010.

Does he think like this, if he does he may prove us all wrong, if he continues in what we see a very lazy approach to his football, 2010 will be his last AFL season.

Why didn't he think that when Neitz broke down in 2007 and again in 2008 and Robbo did his ankle in 2008 that "this FF spot is mine for the taking no more second fiddle"?

He has had the opportunity and chances to claim it for himself. He hasn't. Jurrah on other hands has made the most of his opportunities and is where Newton supporters expected Juice to be.

A player that does not get it and probably never will.

Guest delicious jurrah coffee

He'll make it

your a fool. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Why didn't he think that when Neitz broke down in 2007 and again in 2008 and Robbo did his ankle in 2008 that "this FF spot is mine for the taking no more second fiddle"?

He has had the opportunity and chances to claim it for himself. He hasn't. Jurrah on other hands has made the most of his opportunities and is where Newton supporters expected Juice to be.

A player that does not get it and probably never will.

I agree, my post was based if I was in his shoes that what I would be thinking, if he doesn't 2010 is his last at tis level. It's bloody hard to get drafted, and he could be one of those players that AFL is over by 23 and he will go and dominate country football somewhere for $800 per week.

If Newton and Miller are getting games for us next year we will still be on the bottom. How many chances do these guys need? I would rather see an untried forward do nothing in the seniors than see Miller and Newton continually fail. The problem with these 2 is if they are on the list we will be tempted to play them, take that temptation away.

If he could only kick....

In virtually every game he has had in the seniors he has 3 -4 gettable shots for goal - most of which he has fluffed

2-3 goals per game .... a bit of confidence .... 60 goals a year and he's away....

His kicking style doesn't look too bad - but somehow he miskicks more than any forward can afford to

If they think they can get penetration into his kcking - keep him for another year. Otherwise pay him out or push him to the Dogs for a third round pick

Edited by hoopla

In virtually every game he has had in the seniors he has 3 -4 gettable shots for goal - most of which he has fluffed

2-3 goals per game .... a bit of confidence .... 60 goals a year and he's away....

His kicking style doesn't look too bad - but somehow he miskicks more than any forward can afford to

If they think they can get penetration into his kcking - keep him for another year. Otherwise pay him out or push him to the Dogs for a third round pick

in many ways he's just another Cam Mooney! Only difference Melbs midfield doesn't give him as many chances as the Cats Midfield...

No, cause Mooney is strong and aggressive. Newton has nothing going for him.

Mooney is a crap kick for goal and struggles with confidence...sound like anyone we know..newton maybe?

...Bomber said before the finals he is one of the cats most important players...

...Bomber said before the finals he is one of the cats most important players...

Mooney must be definitely like Newton then...no doubt about it.

I thought the same about Simon Godfrey and many others who have pulled on a MFC jumper too.