Shaun Burgoyne walks out on Port Adelaide

Jarka

I'd take him for free in the PSD, no question.

I'd be hesitant to trade much for him though.

For those saying he has not cartildge in his knee, I've heard the same thing about Bartram from guys that have played with him (you decide if that's a reliable source or not)

He still moves ok. He only comes up in the delisting conversations cos of his average disposal

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would trade for him with Pick 18 or Bell and 34 or Jamar.

If PA baulk then pick him up in the PSD.

That's all well and good, except that we're not the only team who'll be interested. If Port don't like our bid, they'll look at another club's bid. Hawthorn has a link to Burgoyne in Alastair Clarkson, and they've already said they're going to adopt an aggressive trade strategy. If Port don't like what we've got to offer, they'll just go somewhere else.

I don't quite understand the logic some have in not wanting to take him just because he is 27. That made sense last year when we were aiming for a priority pick, so anything that would accelerate our rise up the ladder would be strictly no go. Surely now the aim is to do whatever is necessary to make us a better side?

I reckon we should pursue him hard. Pick 18 wouldn't be off the table for me. Having PSD #1 up our sleeve should become a very useful tool; we currently have salary cap space to burn, and we're (obviously) in Victoria. We should be in a prime position to get him if he's serious.

Unless of course he nominates Carlton.

For those saying he has not cartildge in his knee, I've heard the same thing about Bartram from guys that have played with him (you decide if that's a reliable source or not)

He still moves ok. He only comes up in the delisting conversations cos of his average disposal

... i doubt very highly that would be the case, only cause every doctor under the sun says if you have no cartilage there is nothing they can do. Only so many injections can get you through.

I think it would be great to get him in the PSD for nothing but to give port pick 18 for a fresh 18yr old kid.... Bup Bow and i wouldn't be be giving him 600,000. Give Trengove that if you gotta pay "someone". Then he wont leave.

That's all well and good, except that we're not the only team who'll be interested. If Port don't like our bid, they'll look at another club's bid. Hawthorn has a link to Burgoyne in Alastair Clarkson, and they've already said they're going to adopt an aggressive trade strategy. If Port don't like what we've got to offer, they'll just go somewhere else.

We are only going to get him if he nominates us anyway, and if we are his nominated team that is what I would offer.

With PSD1 there it gives us the upper hand during trade week if he nominates us.

... i doubt very highly that would be the case, only cause every doctor under the sun says if you have no cartilage there is nothing they can do. Only so many injections can get you through.

I think it would be great to get him in the PSD for nothing but to give port pick 18 for a fresh 18yr old kid.... Bup Bow and i wouldn't be be giving him 600,000. Give Trengove that if you gotta pay "someone". Then he wont leave.

If we put kids on silly money now, what happens when we become half decent and they come out of contract?

Their agent is going to say "you gave us this much at 18, 20 we think at 23 he should get 20%, 50% more.

We should frontload, and give your midrange (24-28) players more.

If we put kids on silly money now, what happens when we become half decent and they come out of contract?

Their agent is going to say "you gave us this much at 18, 20 we think at 23 he should get 20%, 50% more.

We should frontload, and give your midrange (24-28) players more.

...i was kidding :unsure:

...i was kidding :unsure:

I know it was a throwaway, but I have had a few conversations with people who want to put Morton, Watts, Grimes, etc on silly money now to reach the threshold without thinking about what effect it has down the line.

What CC is doing is that if a player is on 400k over two years, they would get 250-300k this year and 150-100k the next year. You reach the threshold and you don't ruin your wage structure.

I reckon we should pursue him hard. Pick 18 wouldn't be off the table for me. Having PSD #1 up our sleeve should become a very useful tool; we currently have salary cap space to burn, and we're (obviously) in Victoria. We should be in a prime position to get him if he's serious.

Pick 18 is off the table personally. Even then you would think teams with pick 9-16 would be in front. He'll be a quality player who'll push those teams closer to their premiership which Shaun would want too.

We can live without Sburgoyne but if he's there at PSD, No team will out bid us. Pay him 600, 700K if he wants.

Pick 18 is off the table personally. Even then you would think teams with pick 9-16 would be in front. He'll be a quality player who'll push those teams closer to their premiership which Shaun would want too.

We can live without Sburgoyne but if he's there at PSD, No team will out bid us. Pay him 600, 700K if he wants.

Pick 18 is effectively Pick 27 so I would be throwing that around a little bit if there was someone we were after.

Pick 18 is effectively Pick 27 so I would be throwing that around a little bit if there was someone we were after.

Pick 18 is Pick 18. There are still some apparently good names who could slip through. A Panos/Carlile, Vardy/Fitzpatrick/Black or Gysbert/Sheppard/Jetta/Christensen. All apparently highly rated and they all can't fit in rd 1.

Pick 34 you might have a case.

Burgoynes got 3-4 years max. I'll take the punt on pick 18 personally.

Love him as a player though and hope he slips through.

I don't quite understand the logic some have in not wanting to take him just because he is 27. That made sense last year when we were aiming for a priority pick, so anything that would accelerate our rise up the ladder would be strictly no go. Surely now the aim is to do whatever is necessary to make us a better side?

I agree entirely and you can add to that the idea that all players are rubbish once they turn 30 is insane.

can u stop saying this seriously? every draft is different yes this one has less numbers but is it pick 27 comparable to 2007, 2001, 2003 1991??? you cant just say pick 18 = 27 because there are less numbers players.

Im right there with you Nasher - getting Burgoyne would be huge. He is a seriously good player.

His brother has just retired at 31 (32 in jan) - which may suggest he has another 5 or so years in him and i would certainly hope we would be challenging for the flag within the next 5 years. I don't know much about this business with his knee but he has been pretty durable apart from this year (missed 3 games in 2008, played all games in 07 & 06), so with a proper medical assessment Im not too worried about injuries with him. These 'bone on bone' rumours im taking with a grain of salt.

I'd give pick 18 in a heart beat. Port wouldn't take it but if he nominates us im sure we will be able to work something out. Something along the lines of pick 2 and 18 for pick 8 and Burgoyne might tempt them. And i know people will be saying "ahhh not pick 2!" but at pick 8 we are still going to have access to someone along the lines of Martin (who i wouldn't mind us getting at 2 anyway), Lucas, Cunnington, Talia, Rohan, stevens; in addition to adding a quality outside mid! On bigfooty the port supporters want a top 10 pick and good player so i don't think they will let him go easily and we could end up getting him PSD which would be a bonus. This is also one of the few situations i would consider using one of our key backs in a trade (although i'd still be reluctant) - a fit Burgoyne is a top player and you have to give up quality to get quality.

I've been fighting against a gale in the last week or two arguing against trading players for picks i.e. stockpiling more picks, and now, shock horror!, some of us want to trade away draft picks! But we are building a premiership team to challenge within the next few years and beyond. We know what Burgoyne can produce (magic!), he is proven. We don't know what we are getting with draft picks. I say go, and go hard!

Im right there with you Nasher - getting Burgoyne would be huge. He is a seriously good player.

His brother has just retired at 31 (32 in jan) - which may suggest he has another 5 or so years in him and i would certainly hope we would be challenging for the flag within the next 5 years. I don't know much about this business with his knee but he has been pretty durable apart from this year (missed 3 games in 2008, played all games in 07 & 06), so with a proper medical assessment Im not too worried about injuries with him. These 'bone on bone' rumours im taking with a grain of salt.

I'd give pick 18 in a heart beat. Port wouldn't take it but if he nominates us im sure we will be able to work something out. Something along the lines of pick 2 and 18 for pick 8 and Burgoyne might tempt them. And i know people will be saying "ahhh not pick 2!" but at pick 8 we are still going to have access to someone along the lines of Martin (who i wouldn't mind us getting at 2 anyway), Lucas, Cunnington, Talia, Rohan, stevens; in addition to adding a quality outside mid! On bigfooty the port supporters want a top 10 pick and good player so i don't think they will let him go easily and we could end up getting him PSD which would be a bonus. This is also one of the few situations i would consider using one of our key backs in a trade (although i'd still be reluctant) - a fit Burgoyne is a top player and you have to give up quality to get quality.

I've been fighting against a gale in the last week or two arguing against trading players for picks i.e. stockpiling more picks, and now, shock horror!, some of us want to trade away draft picks! But we are building a premiership team to challenge within the next few years and beyond. We know what Burgoyne can produce (magic!), he is proven. We don't know what we are getting with draft picks. I say go, and go hard!

We would be better adding high picks rather than trading them for injured former stars in the twilight of their careers. That has been the downfall of too many clubs and more so in this year before the GC rip the draft to shreds.

We would be better adding high picks rather than trading them for injured former stars in the twilight of their careers. That has been the downfall of too many clubs...

I agree completely, but nobody's talking about injured former stars in their twilight. We're talking about Shaun Burgoyne.

He's is 27, meaning he could and should still be around when we are challenging -- and better yet; could potentially bring our window of opportunity for a flag closer. In terms of injury, until this year barely missed a beat since starting his career. Like godees I'm taking the knee talk with a grain of salt, though clearly there is due diligence to be done there.

I see this as an opportunity for us to nab an A-grade player who is capable of tearing a game apart.

Like godees I'm taking the knee talk with a grain of salt, though clearly there is due diligence to be done there.

I see this as an opportunity for us to nab an A-grade player who is capable of tearing a game apart.

Or tearing his knee apart. The due diligence will help but is not a guarantee.

I still class a 27 year old as entering the twilight of his career. I would be happy to wager that his best football has already been played.

Yes he has been a great footballer and still might be for a year or two but I don't want to give up valuable picks this year. He will also demand a high salary and that may cause other problems.

However, if he was taken in the PSD that would be a different matter but I don't see that happening.

This is what I think teams should be asking for these players that have been writen about in the media as possible trades.

TOP 10

BOAK, (A FIT) BORGOYNE, LAKE

11 - 20

K.CORNES, SALOPEK, LOVETT, (AN UNFIT) BORGOYNE

20 - 30

BALL, EBERT, PEARCE

30 - 40

GIBSON, PEAKE, STAKER

40 - 50

MILLER, SEABY

50 AND OVER

MCMAHON, RAINES, SCHULTZ, BELL, TUCK, BARTRAM AND NEWTON

These 'bone on bone' rumours im taking with a grain of salt.

I think you and Nasher are about the only two here with whom I agree. Twilight is 30 in my view. The guy is right in his prime and we'd yield 60-80 good games from him. I'd do everything in my power to get him. He's the sort of player that could make the difference between 8 wins and 11 wins in 2010.

Btw, I first heard that Andrew McLeod's knees were 'bone on bone' 6 years ago. Needless to say I too am taking these allegations with a very big grain of salt. And if McLeod's knnes have been that bad it just shows how these things can be very effectively managed. Although no doubt there's a large degree of exaggeration when it comes to footy rumours.

I'm a little worried tht the club is going to jump into one of these deals... I reckon we need to hold onto 1,2 and 18, no matter who the player is. Realistically, we're not getting a player under 25, not one of any quality anyway.

Burgoyne is an awesome talent, no doubt, and probably the most tantalising choice of those put forward so far. But why is he being moved on? Is he damaged goods?

Unless we improve on those first 3 picks... say picks 1,2 and 8 or 9... then I think just about any trade would be short term gain, for long term pain. It's all good fun, but how often do trades actually work?

Twilight is 30 in my view. The guy is right in his prime and we'd yield 60-80 good games from him.

You could be right with the 60-80 games, but maybe not. Who knows?

I recall Pickett taken by us at 28 years old, having no major injury and playing a great first year and then retired after the next. There are many more examples. Even though taken much younger I doubt Richmond would be happy with what they got from Nathan Brown.

I just like the idea of having some good early picks this year and if used wisely we will have several long term players.

The opportunity to get a player like Jnr Burger is very tempting. A few years ago, he was in my top 5 favourite non-Melbourne players going around.

My only concern is with his knee. But I would expect the club to do their homework on this and eveluate his future potential accordingly. If we do get him, then we should have confidence in the decision that club has made. I dont expect the club to take too much of a gamble.

He turns 27 in October. So I dont have great concerns with his age. If his knee if fine, he could possibly play another 5 years, 4 years probably more likely. That to me makes him a worthwhile prospect.

The only other issue is how much he would eat into our salary cap. If we can get him for a reasonable price, then fine. If another club wants to outbid us, than thats fine too.

Edited by Einstein