The Serhat Temel Thread

Mousey

Did anyone see this guy play for the Cannons in the TAC grand final?

He is exactly what we need after Scully and Trengove at pick 11 or 18 if he is still there.

He kicked 57 goals this year with no preseason,and he is a massive unit who can also play ruck.

He has some good skills and is a terrific mark.

Exactly what we need. Put him in the goal square and he could kick 60 plus goals for us and go in the Ruck if needed.

Edited by DEEZEE

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night was the second time I have seen Temel play this year, and he has really come on since my first viewing about 2 months ago. He seems to have increased workrate and is really learning how to use his body. His kicking was on last night, think he finished with 5.1, and he has a great set of hands on him.

As has been stated, he is a big boy. his body kind of reminds me of a young Tom Hawkins, a big lump of kid that will need to put in quite a few hours in the gym over the next few years to turn the mass into muscle. I think that this will also help his pace and agility.

There is something about his bloke that I really like, and with a bit of guidance on diet and weights, coupled with game time against men, he could develop into a seriously difficult player to match up on. He could very well be the powerhouse key forward that we have been looking for.... That being said, he may not be as well, but I think that he could be worth the gamble.

Serhat needs to work on his acceleration if he's to become damaging at AFL level.

ATM if it was a race over 100 metres between Temel and an iceberg, I'm not sure who I'd be backing. :P

You reckon Dr, I thought he moved pretty well. Players his size are never really going to be really quick. Not that I am making any such comparison but Jon Brown isn't that quick. This kid will grow to be a very strong man and has a presence about him. I don't do the bandwagon thing but I wouldn't like to see him at another club.

He would be in the mould as a Tony Lockett full forward I would think. I cant see him playing anywhere else to great effect.

Full forward only for me! But I can see him being a good one! I hope he can kick 50m if we draft him.

Edited by Dee tention

Serhat needs to work on his acceleration if he's to become damaging at AFL level.

ATM if it was a race over 100 metres between Temel and an iceberg, I'm not sure who I'd be backing. :P

Yeah, the kid has ability, but reports over his value and draft position have been greatly over-exaggerated.

With the long list of midfielders we'll have after adding Scully & Trengove, surely Temel is a worthwhile punt at pick 11.

Slot Temel in at FF. It's not often you hear of 18 year olds needing to lose weight to play footy, so this kid, with the right training and motivation should wind up a man-mountain Lockettesque FF.

Question is, with 20 goals in 3 finals, will he last to pick 11? Or better, is it worth risking trying to pick him up with pick 18?

With the long list of midfielders we'll have after adding Scully & Trengove, surely Temel is a worthwhile punt at pick 11.

Slot Temel in at FF. It's not often you hear of 18 year olds needing to lose weight to play footy, so this kid, with the right training and motivation should wind up a man-mountain Lockettesque FF.

Question is, with 20 goals in 3 finals, will he last to pick 11? Or better, is it worth risking trying to pick him up with pick 18?

I'D TRY TO PICK HIM UP @11

Yeah, the kid has ability, but reports over his value and draft position have been greatly over-exaggerated.

Fact is he has kicked taken grabs and kicked a lot of goals and has done so with a lot of eyes on him in finals pressure situations. He looks like the kid that wants to kick the winning goal, not the one that fears taking the shot.

His rating has definitely climbed recently.

You are probably right he was playing on someone a lot smaller than him, they mentioned this during the call. I guess we would have to see how he handled a player of similar size.

He looked the goods but I would imagine that the Football Department will have a better idea of his worth.

Cameron Schwab on twitter :

"Watching the TAC Cup GF. Anyone looking for confirmation of the value of choices 11, 18 and beyond should tune in. Bit of size as well."

We are watching him!!

Dont get me wrong .. I don't want it to seem that I'm being harsh on Serhat.

But there are aspects of his game that need rapid improvement:

For example, Robertson ran off Temel three times - before Serhat decided to follow him.

It's the little things like this that youtube recruiters tend to miss.

He missed the Vic Metro side for 2 resons:

*The Coaches were not impressed with his attitude.

*He wrote himself off in the rooms before one of the intra club practice games trying to do a handstand (true story lol).

However, he's improved thus far, so perhaps he can improve more.

... or he could be the next Fev.

I've never seen the kid play, so I'm no expert...

However, over at Bigfooty, where I'm sure some of the people commenting have seen him play, there seems to be a big question over his pace and athleticism... Currently they feel he's bigger and stronger than his opponents, and is therefore taking a lot of contested marks... He'll lose this comparative advantage when he gets to AFL... He's been described by more than one poster as moving like a tree trunk... Don't expect us to take him early, many believe he's a 3rd rounder at best...

To be honest, from the comments I've heard, he reminds me a lot of our beloved 426... We all know how that worked out... He's kicked a lot of goals, but so has Nick Sautner in the VFL, it would seem he's not suited to the modern game of AFL football... If he attends a draft camp or state screening, that will reveal how athletic he is, if he doesn't perform well at one of these screenings, you'd think he would be quite a late selection...

I've never seen the kid play, so I'm no expert...

However, over at Bigfooty, where I'm sure some of the people commenting have seen him play, there seems to be a big question over his pace and athleticism... Currently they feel he's bigger and stronger than his opponents, and is therefore taking a lot of contested marks... He'll lose this comparative advantage when he gets to AFL... He's been described by more than one poster as moving like a tree trunk... Don't expect us to take him early, many believe he's a 3rd rounder at best...

To be honest, from the comments I've heard, he reminds me a lot of our beloved 426... We all know how that worked out... He's kicked a lot of goals, but so has Nick Sautner in the VFL, it would seem he's not suited to the modern game of AFL football... If he attends a draft camp or state screening, that will reveal how athletic he is, if he doesn't perform well at one of these screenings, you'd think he would be quite a late selection...

No doubt he will be at the Victorian screening-as per http://www2.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15715891.

To be honest, from the comments I've heard, he reminds me a lot of our beloved 426...

Oh man. I haven't heard that in ages.... *sigh*

Ok. So some are saying he moves like a tree trunk. Others are saying he moves well despite being a gorilla. Which is true?

Oh man. I haven't heard that in ages.... *sigh*

Ok. So some are saying he moves like a tree trunk. Others are saying he moves well despite being a gorilla. Which is true?

Dappa- I respect your judgement-did you watch him last Friday-also note he has kicked 22 goals in 4 finals. Doesn't that say something. He hasn't stood in the goalaquare all the time.He is a beauty- however built to play now- will improve but unlike Watts- probably could play after big pre season. He will be at State Screenings on the 3rd October so if you have time come down and see it.

Dappa- I respect your judgement-did you watch him last Friday-also note he has kicked 22 goals in 4 finals. Doesn't that say something. He hasn't stood in the goalaquare all the time.He is a beauty- however built to play now- will improve but unlike Watts- probably could play after big pre season. He will be at State Screenings on the 3rd October so if you have time come down and see it.

yeha i would say the state screenings will give a lot more insight as to his physical abilities and therefor position in the scheme of things

yeha i would say the state screenings will give a lot more insight as to his physical abilities and therefor position in the scheme of things

agree- however he must move ok- played at CHB for most of the first half before switching to CHF/ FF. Kicked 49 goals for basically the second part of the year.He moves well,believe me.Do not forget he kicked 22 goals in four finals.

Edited by jayceebee31

• 2 weeks later...

Just finally watched the TAC GF - Wow we must get this guy.

Takes a big mark, kicks well & moves OK.

Hope he's around @ Pick 18 -

426 Update - Won the B&F in 2009 for The Balwyn Tigers in the EFL

Trust me Serhat Temel has him covered already @ age 18

Just finally watched the TAC GF - Wow we must get this guy.

Takes a big mark, kicks well & moves OK.

Hope he's around @ Pick 18 -

426 Update - Won the B&F in 2009 for The Balwyn Tigers in the EFL

Trust me Serhat Temel has him covered already @ age 18

Slow, moves like the ox after the knee reco's.

Dime-a-dozen big forward.

Why don't we just recruit James Podsiadly at pick 86 if we want one of these.

Maybe an exaggeration, but honestly, there is no way this kid gets drafted in the top 30. Early 30, that is.

also note he has kicked 22 goals in 4 finals. Doesn't that say something.

Sure. It says we should look at him.

And I'm sure we will. My feeling is that on a Brian Lake or Darren Glass he'll get outpointed, due to size. And today's KP defenders do a lot of rebounding. His defensive pressure on the forward line is becoming increasingly important.

I'd be excited to see him drafted, but it's a bit early to say where. Wait for the mock drafts... even the order is going to look wildly different.

Slow, moves like the ox after the knee reco's.

Dime-a-dozen big forward.

Why don't we just recruit James Podsiadly at pick 86 if we want one of these.

Maybe an exaggeration, but honestly, there is no way this kid gets drafted in the top 30. Early 30, that is.

you are away with the birds- if you do not think this bloke can play 22 goals in 5 finals. Any wager he does not go under 30.

You are joking mate.

Sure. It says we should look at him.

And I'm sure we will. My feeling is that on a Brian Lake or Darren Glass he'll get outpointed, due to size. And today's KP defenders do a lot of rebounding. His defensive pressure on the forward line is becoming increasingly important.

I'd be excited to see him drafted, but it's a bit early to say where. Wait for the mock drafts... even the order is going to look wildly different.

Dappa- I always respect your opinion- I believe you respect mine.He is currently 195/6 cms tall- still growing and about 96 kls. Got a build that could turn out to be Lockett like if developed that way.Glass is 182cms ,93 kls whilst Lake is 195,104kls.No doubt he could build this up with a very good pre season to high 90's or low 100's in 1st yesr(pre season)

Their are about 6 talls that will go under 40.- maybe 3 other fowards that he should be compared with-- Panos- Black & Houghton.

In discussing Temel, with Calder Cannons- he played 9 games at CHB-3 @CHF @ 7 FULL FORWARD during the season, played between FF @CHF during finals kicking 53 goals for the year.If that is not a sound basis for an early pick- I have not watched under age football for 40 years. He is one of the best young forwards going around and if anyone disputes me contact Andrew Johnston

AFL Victoria

Development Manager

Calder Cannons

0438 527 742

caldercannons.aflvic.com.au

for verification. Any way we will know in just over 7 weeks time

Edited by jayceebee31