Paul Wheatley Mathew Whelan and Russell Robertson

Carn dees

No it doesn't make them sacred cows, but they at least deserve some respect for their efforts for the Melbournefc. Correct?

Distasteful.

Might be distasteful but its true.

Fwiw, I don't Rogue. I think Fan, RR, WJ have been on the money in moderating in this particular thread. And I agree with Redleg's comments.

Well obviously you like censorship as long as it supports your point of view.

Fwiw I applaud Whelan for a fantastic and honourable career, and Wheatley is not far behind in that regard but unfortunately I think he was always a bit of a jack of all trades.

Never saw a weak effort from either of them.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the hell can you compare Carroll's ugly exist from our club, to the retirement of three great servants who have never done anything other than represent the club in a professional and respectable manner?

Nobody here is claiming that they were greater players than they were, but positive reflection at this time seems far more appropriate than misguided criticism that will do nothing to change the course of history.

Your opinion.

Get out the red pen...

but positive reflection at this time seems far more appropriate than misguided criticism that will do nothing to change the course of history.

More to the point is that this thread is to "farewell" these players, not to debate their contribution to the club. There have been countless opportunities to comment on these players and there is the opportunity to discuss it in future. So rather than turn this thread into a debate about merits lets just recognize the contributions of these players here and keep other discussion for elsewhere.

Hope that helps clarify things.

In light of this post Enforcer you may wish to edit some of your posts on this thread.

Thanks

More to the point is that this thread is to "farewell" these players, not to debate their contribution to the club. There have been countless opportunities to comment on these players and there is the opportunity to discuss it in future. So rather than turn this thread into a debate about merits lets just recognize the contributions of these players here and keep other discussion for elsewhere.

Fair enough.

Gentle reminders are the sensible approach, much more effective than just chopping out pieces of posts cos you disagree.

Whelan - an underrated champion of the club that will be sorely missed. Attacked every contest like it was his last.

Wheatley - a good average player who always gave a great effort.

Robertson - kicked lots of goals. Sings better than I do in the shower.

Edited by Enforcer25

No word on McDonald's future?

They have announced that these 3 are no longer required but not McDonald Why? Surely he won't go on for another year. He has been very poor this year, it has easily been his worst year for the club. He said he was close to retirement the year before he won his first B&F because his form was ordinary well he has been a lot worse this year. Time to bow out with Wheatley, Whelan and Robertson at the end of the year. If he goes on he will struggle to get a game.

Who is eligable for the veterans list? Are Green and Bruce eligable? If one of them isn't eligable then that could be the only reason they want him to go on cause he would only be taking a rookies spot. If Spencer can stay as a 3rd year rookie I would like to see McDonald retire gracefully so Spencer can be promoted by RND 1.

Poor comprehension skills on this site. Only one poster been untoward regarding Wheatley; nothing bad has been said about Robbo and Wheels. Everyone else has been respectful so y'all can cut down on the parroting hoo-ha.

Personally, Robbo was the most entertaining player I've seen in the red and blue behind Farmer and Jakovich. I fear that he will be remembered for the wrong shade of entertainment. He has been a top grade performer for over a decade and an MFC champion. I dearly loved how he always tore West Coast a new one.

Melbourne had a crap defence from 2001-2007, but the one player you could rely on week in week out was Wheels. Absolutely composed at all times and probably the most underrated player in the comp in a couple of seasons.

Also, James McDonald will retire, you can take that as gospel. As I said a few months ago it's why he was given the captaincy; its not a theory but a fact.

In light of this post Enforcer you may wish to edit some of your posts on this thread.

Thanks

They haven't gone yet there are still 3 rounds to go.

Who is eligable for the veterans list? Are Green and Bruce eligable? If one of them isn't eligable then that could be the only reason they want him to go on cause he would only be taking a rookies spot. If Spencer can stay as a 3rd year rookie I would like to see McDonald retire gracefully so Spencer can be promoted by RND 1.

If Macca goes on, and I don't expect that he will. he will occupy a spot on the primary list. As he is a veteran, we would gain an extra rookie spot. As we need to free up places for the draft and the PSD, spots on the primary list are the important ones.

Far out though, is anyone else cross with how this has come out? Through bloody weasel worm man on the footy show, and now a day later still nothing up on the website.

I'd think matters like this deserve more respect than seems to have been issued here.

A bit disappointing, yeah.

I wonder whether the other players etc knew (assuming the guys in question were told a week ago).

I can understand why we might not have wanted to announce it when we made our decision but once the news broke you'd think we'd want something out there official.

Of course, this is all assuming it is indeed true.

My favourite Wheels moment was when he played.

I'll sure miss him.

Far out though, is anyone else cross with how this has come out? Through bloody weasel worm man on the footy show, and now a day later still nothing up on the website.

I'd think matters like this deserve more respect than seems to have been issued here.

For sure. How and the hell Hutchy was able to dig this up and still nothing be said....you've got to wonder.

Might be distasteful but its true.

As long as you acknowledge it's distasteful, that's fine.

Well obviously you like censorship as long as it supports your point of view.

Care to elaborate here? and with examples to support this apparent 'dig' at me. Please.

Fair enough.

Gentle reminders are the sensible approach,

Would of thought the thread title might in itself remind those that these players have long represented the Mfc.

Whelan - an underrated champion of the club that will be sorely missed. Attacked every contest like it was his last.

Wheatley - a good average player who always gave a great effort.

Robertson - kicked lots of goals. Sings better than I do in the shower.

Good summary. Sings better than me too. But I'm not sure if he will reach 'triple platinum' in a hurry. :)

I can sort of understand it happening with the other two, but I can't fathom how the afl website wouldn't put up the news about Robbo.

He's one of the celebrities of the game. Sounds odd to me

I can sort of understand it happening with the other two, but I can't fathom how the afl website wouldn't put up the news about Robbo.

Is it because he may have options with further footy next year do you think?

But is it actually official? Or are we just all taking Hutchy's word for it..?

Because Robbo isn't retiring (for now), so there is not much to report.

Until he is officially delisted, or announces his retirement, there is nothing that needs to be said.

Or perhaps the club is organising a proper press conference and will not bow down to media speculation until they are ready to announce it. There is no doubt we'll try our hardest to get Wheels and Wheatley up for at least one more game (hopefully 2 more for Wheels so he can get to 150). Maybe we're planning a farewell match in Round 22 and we don't want to discuss it until then?

(I think we're building up the emotion and planning on using that to beat the unbeaten Saints in Round 22 :lol: )

that's my point

I do recall Hutchy admitting last week that something he had reported about a month ago was actually completely false... can't remember for the life of me what it was though.

Funny how he runs around stating things he reports are 'the TRUTH' or 'a FACT' purely because someone has told him the information and he hasn't made it up himself.

He doesn't seem to bother doing a bit deeper research to make sure his source is correct.

No!!! Not a duet with Kate Ceberano!!

NO!!!

Oh No. :angry:

:lol:

Hey, those Scientologists may be completely nuts, but they're very powerful and have a lot of money!

Eddie's already been working on Tom though...

Is it because he may have options with further footy next year do you think?

The fact that his future with the Dees is over is still as news-worthy IMO, regardless of whether it's 'end of a career' or 'hoping for a repreive'.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER

3 great players for the demons, all the best for the future, im a bit worried about 45 hotgod, no whelan, we mite have to put him on suicide watch.

Firstly, thank you to our three retiring players for their time as servants of this great club. I'll especially miss the toughness of Wheels.

With regard to the deletion of posts and criticism of retiring players. It seems a little precious to me that posters can't criticise a retiring footballer without having their post deleted. (I'm not talking about those who choose to be distasteful in their criticism- these posts should always be deleted) Many of you singing the praises of these guys have in the past called for their delisting or offered stern criticism. We are not a funeral, just 3 rounds short of seeing 3 well paid sportsmen retire. They all had their strengths and weaknesses and talking about them is surely what this forum is about. I know we can say that theirs a time and place for everything but this will likely be the last time we talk in depth about these three so surely we can talk about their weaknesses as well.

I'll leave you with the remarks below made by posters who have not seen their posts deleted.

“I've always enjoyed his long booming kicks, but unfortunately his kicking efficiency isn't anywhere near as good as some would have u believe, and too often last year his disposals consisted of mainly "short and wide" kicks. He seems to be constantly injured or in the rehab group during preseasons, he's not the strongest one-on-one player or even a particularly good overhead mark given his height”

“Wheatley has played 2, maybe 3 ok seasons. He has never been anything more than serviceable. The only reason they kept him on through his lean patches was because he has a booming 60 metre kick. He's no leader, no presence on match day, no presence in the media...

IMO, if we are to move forward, Wheatley is in the gun to be shown the door. If he were to be a part of our rise up the ladder it wouldn't be because he's a leader in the way Green is. It'd be because he's a mature-bodied player and because we have no accurate kicks. Is that cause enough to keep him, and lose, say, Whelan or Robbo instead as part of our 5-6 names we'll be losing?

I'd rather a 29 year old Whelan (as rough as he's been this year) or a 30 year old Robbo than Wheatley.”

“Too late for that. He wont change. He can wax all he likes in the media and on the Footy Show but he just does not understand or get the playing for the best interests of the team thing with AFL. This could be his final year.”

“No. Goal or not it just a show pony act that puts the team effort at the very risk that actually happened especially when we were battling to get back in the game.

Any responsible coach would have dragged him anyway regardless.

The biggest issue is that Robbo wont learn now. He has not learned in the past. Its too late now for him. Its a very bad example of what he does too often."

Anyway just thought I'd add this to the discussion. I'm just very anti censorship and hope the moderators use it sparingly and without prejudice.

Edited by Red Legs