Trade/Draft room

Dappa Dan

If we decided to put up Bell, PJ, Newton, Bartram etc for trade, I think we should aim to give away our 3rd/4th draft pick, with one of these players, for a 1st/2nd round draft pick. This means we improve a draft pick, and also free up a spot on the list.

And the opposition club is rapt because they give up an opportunity with a young player (their draft pick) and they get a proven NQR AFL player with skill/attitude/performance issues that prevents them from getting a regular game at one of the worst teams in the past decade. They will be ecstatic.

ATM. Very few MFC players that the Club would willingly release would have trade value.

Chris Johnson should be a barometer of trade value for NQRs. He had none and some of these names list will be finished in AFL within 12 months.

MFC would be laughed at in draft week coming to the table with a basket of crud.

If any of those players have a future in the AFL.....its as a speculative PSD pick at best.

I think you can have the best of both worlds. If we decided to put up Bell, PJ, Newton, Bartram etc for trade, I think we should aim to give away our 3rd/4th draft pick, with one of these players, for a 1st/2nd round draft pick. This means we improve a draft pick, and also free up a spot on the list.

Why do people put up such lopsided MFC favouring deals that absolutely screw the opposition club? Its sometimes the players who are thick and not the Club....well not that thick.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people put up such lopsided MFC favouring deals that absolutely screw the opposition club? Its sometimes the players who are thick and not the Club....well not that thick.

Yes this happens a lot. If our club does not want a player then most clubs do not want them either. Another club does not want an average player with late draft picks for one of their high draft picks. With trading players, usually a player that moves to another club is a good player but their position is filled by other really good players from that club. For example Prismal, who is a midfielder, went from geelong to Essendon. I think Geelong only got pick 39 for him as well. Or the player is still young an has obvious tallent but might need change of clubs to get him going, Farreny Ray.

PJ, Bell and newton fall into none of these categories.

Edited by Mr Morton

And the opposition club is rapt because they give up an opportunity with a young player (their draft pick) and they get a proven NQR AFL player with skill/attitude/performance issues that prevents them from getting a regular game at one of the worst teams in the past decade. They will be ecstatic.

ATM. Very few MFC players that the Club would willingly release would have trade value.

Chris Johnson should be a barometer of trade value for NQRs. He had none and some of these names list will be finished in AFL within 12 months.

MFC would be laughed at in draft week coming to the table with a basket of crud.

If any of those players have a future in the AFL.....its as a speculative PSD pick at best.

Jeez, settle down. I was just using it as an example of a trade that we may need to carry out, to get a higher draft pick and free up a spot on the list. I know that the club won't get that much value in a trade. It was simply demonstrative.

I think it wasn't though Jurrahtime.

A rubbish player plus pick 65 would get us pick 14-20 how?

I never said pick 65.

An example trade with Port Adelaide, if they wanted a ruckman. I'm not saying this trade will even be considered, by any means.

3rd round pick - i.e. pick ~35

+ PJ

for

2nd round pick - i.e. ~27

I concede that Bell and Newton wouldn't have any trade value. (DELIST!!) But we might just be able to get something out of a trade like that.

No one is going to Trade for those players. They are Duds in a bottom side. We have been bagging them all year!! Why would other clubs not feel the same??

Well sometimes some clubs see things that others dont.No-one wanted Farren Ray but look how good hes gone & also Zac Dawson.They may not give much in return but if we dont want them & can get a 5th or 6th round youngster its still good.Port want a ruckman badly so maybe Johnson for 1 of there young vic kids & also Bells South Australian & his name was talked about last year at Crows & Power

Jeez, settle down. I was just using it as an example of a trade that we may need to carry out, to get a higher draft pick and free up a spot on the list. I know that the club won't get that much value in a trade. It was simply demonstrative.

That's the way I treated your post. Just the concept of trading a player and pick for a better pick. The actual examples you gave would never happen so I didn't think you were too serious about them.

It is not demonstrative of any realistic outcome.

No one will pay for NQR or crud players. And they dont suddenly get value by slipping them in deal showbag to mysteriously rebalance a lopsided trade pick swap.

Like I said"ATM. Very few MFC players that the Club would willingly release would have trade value."

Got anything more substantial like a worthy deal?

Well sometimes some clubs see things that others dont.No-one wanted Farren Ray but look how good hes gone & also Zac Dawson.They may not give much in return but if we dont want them & can get a 5th or 6th round youngster its still good.

Zac Dawson is a good example, but Farren has always had tallent. Pj, Bell and Newton DO NOT.

Zac Dawson was picked by St Kilda in last years rookie draft. They did not trade anything for him.

Well sometimes some clubs see things that others dont.No-one wanted Farren Ray but look how good hes gone & also Zac Dawson.They may not give much in return but if we dont want them & can get a 5th or 6th round youngster its still good.Port want a ruckman badly so maybe Johnson for 1 of there young vic kids & also Bells South Australian & his name was talked about last year at Crows & Power

You are assuming that 15 other clubs are dumb with your statement.

Farren Ray always had Talent, he was playing in a team with Similiar style players to himself at the Dogs.

The Melbourne players you put up for trade don't have Ray's Talent in any way.

We would be extremely Lucky to be able to Trade any of our players that we wish to off load, to any club.

We Have been on the Bottom for 3 years. That's because we are no. 16 in the pecking order.

Trade i'd like to see considered is Adam Campbell from the Dockers. Saw him a couple of times last year and thought he looked a lively type. Hasn't done anything this year though i think he has been injured for part of it.

He is 24 and a 194cm forward who comes from Victoria. (NZ orginally but don't hold that against him)

Wouldn't cost much i don't think. Is well behind Pavlich at the Dockers and i think he could be a good forward with the right development and opportunities. (Freo's development is still lacking i think)

Has anyone seen anything is this bloke? or even seen him play?

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
I'd swap Trengrove for Dangerfield any day of the week in my book!

I reckon it's a great plan. Chuck in Bell and see if we can get a late 1st round pick for the whole deal as well. Win/win we both get good players that are happy to be in their home state and anyway, why not? They owe us for that scum Thompson.

If Melbourne were to gain a PP and our round 1 pick would be 3, what are people's opinions on a possible trade of our #3 pick (probably Trengove) for Dangerfield from the Crows?

Would it be, 1 - a good trade for us & 2 - would the Crows do it?

Wouldn't hate that. I rate Dangerfield, and I reckon the Crows would be happy they're getting something good given he's going home, which can sometimes be a bit of a worry, as you get less than you deserve.

Maybe if they threw in a mid-late pick as well? Maybe Bell?

;)

So to get back to the topic. Now that we're the only club in line for a PP, AND we're 2 games below the next worst side, perhaps now is the time to add the trade room again, with some stickies referring to the big 3, big ten, big twenty or whatever the Burgatron calls it.

It would be a wonderful resource for those of us wanting to see footage of the kids coming through.

If we're looking to trade players, it should be Green or Bruce who have some currency and will definitely not be around for our next flag tilt.

I would think that these guys would suit Collingwood, Bulldogs, St Kilda, Brisbane and Adelaide. Green might be worth a pick 20-30, Bruce a 30-40. And it gives them a chance to at least play finals again before their career is over.

.......Chuck in Bell and see if we can get a late 1st round pick for the whole deal as well. Win/win we both get good players that are happy to be in their home state and anyway, why not?

Get a late first rounder for Bell... :blink:

What a win/win outcome. We get a first round pick, they get a dud. Definitely on the cards. :lol:

If we're looking to trade players, it should be Green or Bruce who have some currency and will definitely not be around for our next flag tilt.

I would think that these guys would suit Collingwood, Bulldogs, St Kilda, Brisbane and Adelaide. Green might be worth a pick 20-30, Bruce a 30-40. And it gives them a chance to at least play finals again before their career is over.

Its likely that we will have Junior, Wheels, Wheatley and Robbo gone at year end. There a huge gap in leadership in the current group.

I think we need to retain both senior players who are both capable of good performances and providing on and off field leadership.

One is a prospective captain next year (Green), the other in Bruce is a strong possibility to go back to back in win the Bluey Truscott.

For the picks you outline, I would rather keep them as they have more value to MFC

Im not sure I understand why some want to get rid of Green.. he's solid, poised and skilled. A good role model I would have thought. There probably isnt to many that we can trade. Robbo might nominate for the PSD , so be it. PJ might...ona very good day garner some interest but probably has seen any real chances whilst at Melbourne.

Bell could be traded but youre really looking at some sort of 3rd round deal. Valenti might get a look in from somewhere if he was a 'required' MFC player., but he'll go for nought.

If we are trading it might be as a combo of someone+3rd round for 'something'.. I do get the suspicion that trade week will be different this year.. a lot more action by middle order teams looking to bolster depth .