Who would you choose with our #2 draft pick?

cooko

Who would you choose with our 2nd pick?  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your POV on our second pick, providing we rank Butcher up there with the other prospects.

Yep, that's the key. We shouldn't get sucked in to drafting a player to fix a perceived weakness (at the top end of the draft that is...)

Should always go for the 'best' available player in the top 10 or so. Probably hard to measure a KPF against midfield types though. Draft camp will probably have a big influence you'd suspect. No one really saw Stephen Hill as a pick no. 3 until he destroyed the agility test...

I hope Scully doesnt play like he does in his highlight video, if he does i dont want him, i see nothing in him that we dont have already.

You see nothing in him :huh: ....................what do you see then?

Yes! Complete the JACKATTACK!!

At this stage Trengove is the best pick.

Hopefully we can start firming up after this week's game against Nth.

The MFC FD if not the team will be "Jack" of it if there are any more Jacks after him!

Supposing we do get a 2nd pick, i'm inclined to think we will be in for John Butcher. Listening to Bailey's comments on what he thinks we need, a "power forward who can take a contested mark & kick goals", you'd have to think Butcher would be at the forefront of his mind.

But I think we really need a power forward who can kick 4 or 5 goals and break a game open. With the way zonal defenses are employed these days, tall athletic forwards who can take a contested mark inside-50 and convert from the set shot are as good as gold.

It would also mean that we wouldn't have to rely on Watts being the sole KP target up forward and we could rotate him through the middle more (where I think he can have a big impact in the long run ala Pavlich). Basically, it would give us greater flexibility up front imo.

Just watching Roughead & Franklin, and to a lesser extent Riewoldt & Koschitzke, it seems to me that having the two gun key targets just gives you so much more value for your inside 50 entries. Geelong and the Bulldogs have really struggled at times because of this. At times against good opposition, they just seem to have to work even harder to get their goals due to a lack of quality talls. It looks really laborious sometimes.

I still like the Scully/Butcher combo. because it would address two major needs of ours. Also, none of the other mids available appear to be of a 'mindblowing' calibre. Though if Trengove destroys Draft Camp, i might have to re-assess...

Yeh I have to say I agree with you there, our forward line would benefit immensely, being able to free up Bate and Jurrah as the 3rd and 4th talls.

I'm voting Butcher at this stage.

BTW I wouldn't get too carried away with the profile name, just yet....give it a week ;)

I'll see your Jack & raise you one ranga. Gary Rohan.

:lol:

BTW I wouldn't get too carried away with the profile name, just yet....give it a week ;)

:lol:

haha :lol:

I was waiting for someone to make a comment. Thought it'd be good for a few cheap laughs. Was the dumbest username i could think of, so I thought i'd just run with it ;)

Barry Prendergast didn't give Trengove the same wraps that others have, although he rated him a 'definate' top 10 pick, he didn't seem completely in awe of him.

I think you underestimate the amount of subterfuge involved with the different Talent Identification gurus in the AFL.

These guys are the masters of cloak and dagger.

If he says he only sort of rates him it means he doesn't rate him, which in turn means he does rate him, which in turn means he thinks he's crap, but that would mean he REALLY thinks he's an absolute gem.

Trengove it is then.

Hi all! First post here...

Supposing we do get a 2nd pick, i'm inclined to think we will be in for John Butcher. Listening to Bailey's comments on what he thinks we need, a "power forward who can take a contested mark & kick goals", you'd have to think Butcher would be at the forefront of his mind.

Barry Prendergast didn't give Trengove the same wraps that others have, although he rated him a 'definate' top 10 pick, he didn't seem completely in awe of him.

As Enforcer has just said in the last post, if you were Prendergast and really liked the look of Trengove how would you play it out when on public record ?

Trengove will be a star. And Prendergast isn't stupid.

I'll be OK with a Butcher nomination, but for me there are just too many doubts. He could be really good, but he could be a real disappointment. I'd rather not.

Absurd thinking.

You mean just like Tommy Mac and Rivers have demanded to be sent back to SA?

Or the way Morton, Bennel and Jetta have asked to be sent back to WA?

I don't know the state of origin of all of our list, but this is ridiculous. Who'd want to go home to Adelaide anyway?

Once they're in Melb & are playing at the G they'll know what they've been missing

Sorry to dissapoint you,but im a ADelaide person although i hate both sa clubs & go for the mighty dees.But in the papers over here the rumour has been that trengrove will do whatever it takes to get back to s.a after his 1st contract ends.He only wants to play in s.a.Now he may change his oppinion down the track but i believe its a big risk>shame cos hes playing seniors in the s.a.n.f.l & has been racking up over 30 possies a game

If you want a gun kpp id suggest a guy by the name of Matthew Panos from Norwood in the sanfl.Hewas the best ranked forward in the U/18s carnival.Hes currently 190cm & about 85kgs.Started the year in U/18s then progressed to SANFL reserves & now to Norwoods League side.He can take a great mark & loves to take them contested,kicks it 60 metres & can play CHF or FF.In several games he has kicked half the teams scores & the big plus is hes doing it against experienced men who have played or are currently in AFL system,compared to Butcher whos only playing against boys.The kid will grow & if you look around you can find some video footage of him.He would definately be my pick after Skully

I think you underestimate the amount of subterfuge involved with the different Talent Identification gurus in the AFL.

These guys are the masters of cloak and dagger.

If he says he only sort of rates him it means he doesn't rate him, which in turn means he does rate him, which in turn means he thinks he's crap, but that would mean he REALLY thinks he's an absolute gem.

Trengove it is then.

I see what your saying, but I don't really believe it when we're talking about the top handful of picks here. I think a bit of subterfuge tends to happen after the top few picks, and especially in the later rounds where recruiters try to keep their choices under wraps.

Recruiters are hardly going to be swayed by what BP thinks of Trengove cause they would've already spent a heap of time analyzing him themselves.

Considering we're probably going to have P1 & 2, it doesn't really make sense for BP to throw a curveball with Trengove. I think he was giving an honest assessment of him. I got the impression he's after a different 'sort' of player from Trengove (assuming we acquire Scully...). We'll see i guess...

Edited by Scully The Tank Engine

Sorry to dissapoint you,but im a ADelaide person although i hate both sa clubs & go for the mighty dees.But in the papers over here the rumour has been that trengrove will do whatever it takes to get back to s.a after his 1st contract ends.He only wants to play in s.a.Now he may change his oppinion down the track but i believe its a big risk>shame cos hes playing seniors in the s.a.n.f.l & has been racking up over 30 possies a game

Don't worry about the "rumours". Simon Black cried when he was picked up by Brisbane. Michael O'Loughlin was gutted to leave SA and go to Sydney - now he plans to stay their after his retirement. Dangerfield is a Geelong boy, but I'm sure he'll stay. There are hundreds of examples. I'm not saying that there's not a "go home" factor, because there is, but if there's one place that worries me less it's Adeliade - despite Scott Thompson.

If we deem Trengove the best available and we're lucky enough to have a pick that will secure him then we should and will take him. Trengove is Captain of the SA u18 team which shows that he has brains and is mature. Gibbs is SA. Cooney is SA. Trengove is SA. I'm not concerned in the slightest.

Don't worry about the "rumours". Simon Black cried when he was picked up by Brisbane. Michael O'Loughlin was gutted to leave SA and go to Sydney - now he plans to stay their after his retirement. Dangerfield is a Geelong boy, but I'm sure he'll stay. There are hundreds of examples. I'm not saying that there's not a "go home" factor, because there is, but if there's one place that worries me less it's Adeliade - despite Scott Thompson.

Here's the 'Go Home' stats. I posted them on another thread.

Players who were drafted in the top 20 draft selections, out of their home state:

(Doesnt include players drafted from Tasmania or Northern Territory as there's no 'go home' AFL club to go home to)

1997- 2004 Top 20 Draft picks

Players drafted away from their home state - 68

Players remaining in the state they were drafted to - 43

Players who went home - 25

2005 - 2007 Top 20 Draft picks

Players drafted away from their home state - 29

Players who have remained in the state they were drafted to - 28

Players who went home - 1

Obviously, of these recent draftees it's too early to tell how many will have gone home by the time they end their careers. But of the crop drafted from 2005 to 2007, the only one who has so far gone home was Josh Kennedy who didn't want to go back to Perth but was forced via the Judd trade.

If Trengrove is rated as the second best player available, I don't care if he comes from Pluto. We draft him.

But in the papers over here the rumour has been that trengrove will do whatever it takes to get back to s.a after his 1st contract ends.

I wouldn't worry about it. I would back the football department to keep him. Kids move and make friends. Thus creating a new home.

For every Scott Thompson, there are 50 other players moving interstate and staying.*nice einstein

Jack seems popular around here. Dominating the polls.

Edited by jacey

Here's the 'Go Home' stats. I posted them on another thread.

Players who were drafted in the top 20 draft selections, out of their home state:

(Doesnt include players drafted from Tasmania or Northern Territory as there's no 'go home' AFL club to go home to)

1997- 2004 Top 20 Draft picks

Players drafted away from their home state - 68

Players remaining in the state they were drafted to - 43

Players who went home - 25

can you do me a favour and get info on games played by the players who stayed (ie less than 50, 50-100, more than 100?)

and i am wondering what those stats look like based on state (ie drafted from vic, SA or WA?) would be interesting to see if there is more of a pull over all from one state or another, or if there is an overall difference, vics versus other states.

Out of interest, your stats say that over 1 third of players drafted interstate in the top 20 return home during their career. thats a huge number. if you get 3 top 20 picks in 3 years, and draft 3 interstate kids chances are 1 will go home. chances are 1 wont make it either so you are cutting your percentages down...

You see nothing in him :huh: ....................what do you see then?

Read the post properly, i see nothing in him that we dont already have. Hard ball gets, over use of handball doesn't kick. Isn't that an inside mid, and don't we need an outside? All im saying is that I hope his playing style is nothing like his highlight video.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tab...08/default.aspx

Draft watch: the 16 most likely

John Butcher (Vic Country/Gippsland Power)

Still looms as the most likely tall to be taken first in this year's draft. Booted five goals in his last outing for Gippsland Power and although he is now unlikely to be the first player selected in the NAB AFL Draft, he is still expected to go top five.

Ben Cunnington (Vic Country/Geelong Falcons)

Well and truly a top 10 selection now, he is viewed by some recruiters as being a top-eight pick. Best on ground for the Falcons last week against North Ballarat Rebels. A versatile type, he is fearless in his attack on the footy.

Jordan Gysberts (Vic Metro/Eastern Ranges)

Still in the first round mix and at this stage looms as a 12 to 16 selection, despite missing out on All-Australian U18 honours. His versatility has seen him compared to Melbourne young gun Jack Grimes.

Lewis Jetta (Western Australia/Swan Districts)

The 20-year-old is likely to be the first mature-age player drafted. The small forward kicked three goals for the Western Australian state team this year and had 24 touches for Swan Districts last round.

Kane Lucas (Western Australia/East Fremantle)

Although there have been some mixed views on where exactly he sits in the draft pool, it would surprise at this point if he was not taken in the top 12. He has been in good form since winning All-Australian selection at the under-18 champs.

Dustin Martin (Vic Country/Bendigo Pioneers)

The ball-winner shone for Bendigo last weekend, kicking three goals. He was his side's best in a losing team and continues to impress.

Andrew Moore (Vic Metro/Eastern Ranges)

Like Gysberts, the forward remains right in contention despite playing much of his football with Yarra Valley Grammar. Moore has been likened to Sydney Swans premiership player Ryan O'Keefe and is the younger brother of Tiger defender Kel.

Anthony Morabito (Western Australia/Peel Thunder)

The stocks of the run-and-carry dasher remain high and he now looms as a top three selection. There has even been speculation he could be No.1 if a Western Australian club has the first pick.

Matthew Panos (South Australia/Norwood)

On the back of his excellent under-18 champs, when he kicked 14 goals (including five in one outing), the All-Australian full-forward is still right in the mix, especially with few tall forwards available.

Gary Rohan (Vic Country/Geelong Falcons)

Plenty are excited by Rohan and it's easy to see why. He has transformed from a full-back with country club Cobden this time last year to a high-leaping half-forward who is now viewed as a top-10 selection.

Tom Scully (Vic Metro/Dandenong Stingrays)

At this stage, it would be a major surprise if Scully's was not the first name called out in this year's draft. He is an outstanding midfielder, with one recruiter likening his running ability and engine to West Coast great and now Tiger Ben Cousins

Koby Stevens (Vic Country/Gippsland Power)

The midfielder/flanker has been regarded as a "footballer's footballer" and looms as a 9-13 pick at this stage.

Daniel Talia (Vic Metro/Calder Cannons)

Named at centre half-back in this year's All-Australian team, Talia has come right into the equation due to his ability to fill a key position at either end of the ground. He is the grandson of 1954 Footscray premiership ruckman Harvey Stevens.

Luke Tapscott (South Australia/North Adelaide)

The powerful midfielder/forward has such a mature body for his age that one recruiter believes he would be ready to go for round one next year. His shape has also been compared to the great Leigh Matthews. One of the best kicks in the mix.

Jack Trengove (South Australia/Sturt)

The midfielder/forward remains one of the most sought after players in the country. Touted as a potential No.1, but now appears more likely to be a top-three pick. Has played four senior matches for Sturt since returning from the under-18 champs.

Nathan Vardy (Vic Country/Gippsland Power)

Height and the ability to play forward makes the 198cm tall a likely first-round pick. Among Gippsland's best players in its most recent match against Oakleigh Chargers.

i only saw the last day of the un 18 championships on TV but Dustin Martin looked very impressive to me. Very Dal Santo like i thought.

Also do we get pick 17 also if we end up last with the PP?

If so and they are indeed the top 16 picks , it would be an absolute steal to get i think his name is Jack Fitzgerald the ruck man for metro i think it was... saw a lot of potential in him

Edited by mousey

i only saw the last day of the un 18 championships on TV but Dustin Martin looked very impressive to me. Very Dal Santo like i thought.

Also do we get pick 17 also if we end up last with the PP?

If so and they are indeed the top 16 picks , it would be an absolute steal to get i think his name is Jack Fitzgerald the ruck man for metro i think it was... saw a lot of potential in him

I think we're an absolute monty to get 3 of those 16, with at least one of those names to be still up on the board when our 2nd round pick comes.

I think we'll end up with Vardy or Fitzpatrick at that stage though, unless there is an exceptional kid left there.

Looks like we'll have the pick of other kids like Allen Christensen, Bucovaz, Bastinac, etc.

Could easily still end up with Butcher too

Edited by Enforcer25

I think we're an absolute monty to get 3 of those 16, with at least one of those names to be still up on the board when our 2nd round pick comes.

I think we'll end up with Vardy or Fitzpatrick at that stage though, unless there is an exceptional kid left there

Thats the one Fitzpatrick :) liked him! He moved very well for a tall bloke...

Read the post properly, i see nothing in him that we dont already have. Hard ball gets, over use of handball doesn't kick. Isn't that an inside mid, and don't we need an outside? All im saying is that I hope his playing style is nothing like his highlight video.

It's not too late to delete your post ;)

You really have to see players live before making judgment calls. There's a reason recruiters fly around the country watching players. Sure, they'll also review tapes, but it's a supplementary source, not the primary.

Scully doesn't just handball, he's a beautiful left foot kick and is also a very good right foot kick. He's very fast. He has a superb engine - just runs all day creating play. He's a very good mark for his size. He's tough. And he's very comptetitive. Most of all, he'll be an elite midfielder of the like we haven't seen for decades. He has better hands in close than any Melbourne midfielder I've ever seen.

No-one on the list comes close to his package of skills. And if you watched the highlights from last years champs then you watched the wrong one. And it's also over a year old.

That AFL.com article that cooko posted, it mentions that Rohan was once a full back, but is now a forward. I wouldn't know, because the only thing I know about Rohan is that he's a red-head. But I do know that Bailey has long professed his love for flexibility in his players. Probably doesn't really matter, but if Butcher is nothing but a FF, and Rohan has the ability already to play both ends of the ground, then who knows?