Scully no to WA?

fuchsia

but why select someone who doesnt want to play for you,nik nat told the demons i dont want to play for you,and as for headland who does he play for now,so if a draftees nominating a choice its obviously very wise to listen to him,obviously you must play for whoever selects buts what the point if there going to leave in 2yrs time, just like nik nat wouldv left the demons.

I understand where you're coming from.

But whether or not a club select player who has previously expressed that they don't want to play for them - is ultimatley their choice.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
Did nik nat really tell us he would not play for us?

he said he wanted to play for the eagles, he said he didnt want to leave WA, just like scully will say the same thing to freo,if freo get first pick who will they take the VIC,SA, or WA lad its commonsense, thats why they took watts last season, theres no go home factor, AKA scott thompson.

Court won't award an order of specific performance for personal services.

Nathan Buckley wanted to go to collingwood, drafted by Lions, signed for one year then left them for collingwood.

Both Jarmans accepted sign on fees @ Melbourne.

Anthony Rocca

Shannon Grant didn't want to go to Sydney, so a trade was organised. AFL Help??

Jeff White anyone?

Most coming home to Melbourne, thats why Sydney & Brisbane had/have salary cap extras, relocation & living away from home allowances built into their salary caps.

Two issues to this..

firstly any kid WILL have to go where told..as mentioned for the 2 years. Secondly however ..as others suppose..if you stamp your feet and jump up and down and make it known that come 730 days hence you will go .. then its not a really wise investment in a kid to have them go when maturing !!.. Its a bluff of sorts for sure, but as a club would you want to call it ?? its a toughy !! ;)

If you think the kid is worth it which it sounds like scully might be then you might still be prepared to take the risk and draft him. You then have to have faith in your club to look after him and that your club is somewhere worth being around 2 years is enough time to change someones mind. Wont always work though.

Entirely hypothetical, but what if the kid assured you that he would contribute nothing, not play his hardest and reduce his value so drastically that you will be lucky to get a third/fourth round pick for him trading in two years? Stupid of the kid, but how could/would a club respond to that?

Entirely hypothetical, but what if the kid assured you that he would contribute nothing, not play his hardest and reduce his value so drastically that you will be lucky to get a third/fourth round pick for him trading in two years? Stupid of the kid, but how could/would a club respond to that?

You pick the kid anyway if he's the one you want, knowing full well that he is only bluffing.

A kid sits out or puts in sub-par performances for two years in a failed attempt to have the tail wag the dog?

Yeah, I can see how clubs would jump at a chance to recruit him interstate...

"Oh yeah, sure mate, you were dogging for two whole years it so you could come home, no worries, I believe you 100%.

Yeah, no, I would've done the same, potentially jeopardising my football career so I could have the slim chance of playing for a club in the state of my choice. Even if it could end up being Richmond. I'd have done the same. Straight to the top of the recruiting list for you. How much do you want? $400K a year, that enough? $500K maybe..?"

Edited by Enforcer25

Scully will be a Demon!

We may not finish bottom but we will definitly not win more than 4 games. We will beat Freo and that will be about it! The Demons will not sacrifice PP. Doesnt matter what you hear on tv or radio we will only win more than one. That would be foolish by the Club! Bailey clearly says it is about developing players and doesnt mention wining games.

Melbourne will finish 15th with Pick 1 (PP) and Pick 3 if West Coast win another game. If West Coast dont win another game we will get Pick 1 and Pick 4 with Freo Pick 3 and West Coast Pick 2.

I could deal with either scenario aslong as we get Scully with Pick 1. Pick 3 or 4 may still get us a Trengove (South Australia) as Freo or West Coast will surely go for WA talent Marobito and Lucas etc.

So I hopefully expect too see a big transformation of the side in the later rounds!

B Cheney Warnock Rivers

HB Green Frawley Bruce

C Jetta Moloney Davey

HF Jurrah Dunn Morton

FF Bennell Newton Robbo

Foll Jamar Grimes Valenti

Int McLean Macca Bate Johnson

Scully will be a Demon!

We may not finish bottom but we will definitly not win more than 4 games. We will beat Freo and that will be about it! The Demons will not sacrifice PP. Doesnt matter what you hear on tv or radio we will only win more than one. That would be foolish by the Club! Bailey clearly says it is about developing players and doesnt mention wining games.

Melbourne will finish 15th with Pick 1 (PP) and Pick 3 if West Coast win another game. If West Coast dont win another game we will get Pick 1 and Pick 4 with Freo Pick 3 and West Coast Pick 2.

I could deal with either scenario aslong as we get Scully with Pick 1. Pick 3 or 4 may still get us a Trengove (South Australia) as Freo or West Coast will surely go for WA talent Marobito and Lucas etc.

So I hopefully expect too see a big transformation of the side in the later rounds!

I would be happy for that to happen. There's hope there.

I know that in most case scenarios the player who doesn't want to go interstate ends up leaving after some time - but often clubs would gamble on the notion that in time, and as the player matures he will adapt to his environment and new club by forming bonds with his teammates, perhaps setteling down with a local girl or just plain learn to love the place.

This was the case when a 17 year old Steven Salopek was drafted - so much so that he vomitted upon hearing his name called out.

Ditto Ben McKinley - who cried on draft day, however despite constant talk, has re-signed for 2 more years as an Eagle.

7/10 the player who doesn't want to be there will leave - however as they mature, and given how hard it is to trade players in the AFL - there are instances, when the player will stay.

Some clubs would still take him - in the hope that he would mature and adapt to the new environment.

After all is said and done, cry as much as he may - he's just a kid who wants to play AFL footy.

The clubs will view his upside and potential as too much to simply pass up on because he stated he wants to stay in his home state.

Book mark this reply.

Morabito WON'T be the number 1 selection.

Regardless of who has the first selection.

hahaha Wow, you really put your balls on the line there! :P

Morabito WON'T be the number 1 selection.

Regardless of who has the first selection.

That's obvious.

Craig Cameron tells an interesting story where he loved Simon Black as a player. The more he watched him the more he studied what he wasn't good at. He finally talked himself out of drafting him. Naturally, he now laments this decision and wished he'd relied on his initial gut feel. One can watch a player too many times.

I like Morabito despite the odd errant kick or decision. I'd say to you, look at what he can do as well as having an awareness of where he can improve. He's a pretty special talent.

As an aside, what do you think of Trengove ?

Edited by Hannabal

Moribito would be the worst #1 pick of all time. He doesnt have the talent to deserve such an investment, and he certainly isnt well rounded enough as a footballer. He'll be nothing more than an average-good AFL player if he makes it, and you want alot more than that from a #1 pick. I hope we dont waste a top pick on him. He is Kane Tenace Mach 2 (taller though).

I'd really like to see Trengove play. All I've seen is some youtube highlight clips, and you cant make a proper judgement from them. He looks to be an all round midfielder? Doesnt look very quick. How are his skills? Is he rated highly due more to skills or work ethic?

Edited by Lord Travis

Moribito would be the worst #1 pick of all time. He doesnt have the talent to deserve such an investment, and he certainly isnt well rounded enough as a footballer. He'll be nothing more than an average-good AFL player if he makes it, and you want alot more than that from a #1 pick.

Where will he go in the draft ?

Edited by Hannabal

Anywhere between pick 5-15 I'd guess. I've seen a few of his WAFL matches this year for Peel, and while he has been good at that level, I just dont think he will step up and star at AFL level. It's my opinion, as many seem to think he looks the goods, but to me he just doesnt have great decision making or great skills. He has speed, he plays loose, he attacks, but he turns it over alot. Think Simon Buckley. He often gets to fire off his disposal under no pressure (usually because he has burnt them off), but it's a 50/50 if he'll hit a team mate even under little pressure. To me, when he is under immense pressure against smarter and better players at AFL level, he will struggle. He will have some blistering runs up the ground, but he will also turn it over and have the ball sail back over his head. I'm rambling now anyway, it's just my opinion of the guy based on the 3-4 matches I've seen him play this year.

It would be a shocking turn of events if he went #1. Scully is a far more skilled, smarter, and more rounded player. Both inside and outside, he is superior. His work rate is superior, his leadership capabilities are superior. He is going to be a great player, and it would be a shame to miss the opportunity to get him in red n blue.

The problem this year is there seems to be way less depth. It's still early days and I'm sure more players will emerge, but when you look at last year guys like Strauss, Shuey, Beams, Smith, Zaharakis, Robinson etc were all looking to be pick 20-40 mids and be really solid options. This year the top bunch are decent, but it drops away sharply after that. We need a few high picks to make sure we have the best chances for the future.

I really want to get a good look at Trengove also. If anyone has any links to some footage of him, it'd be much appreciated.

Edited by Lord Travis

Anywhere between pick 5-15 I'd guess. It would be a shocking turn of events if he went #1.

Thanks for that. Obviously Scully will go 1 no matter who has first pick.

I've only seen Morabito live once, but loved his attributes. His pace, strength, size, and ability to take the game on is well suited to AFL level. Sometimes it's best to focus on what a player brings to the table rather than concentrate and almost wait for them to err. I clearly see more upside with Morabito than you, but I'll take your comments on board. Especially as you've seen more of him.

I've only seen Trengove once and he was a little quiet, but he had class stamped all over him. You just know that he's going to be an A grade midfielder. He's probably the safer option. They're very different players.