Aaron Davey

drdrake

I'm all for getting the ball in Aaron's hands as his foot skills are good but he is not exactly breaking any lines. We often handball to him whilst he is flat footed or just running around the back for a cheap handball receive. His crumbing and getting the ball at full speed seems to be getting less and less every week.

I would love to create another stat field handball receive at full pace, that is what we need from Aaron, that is when he is dangerous, revieve the ball run your distance maybe a few bounces run fast and hard at the defenders then finish of with a good pass. We are predictable with him now our oppossion allow him to get the footy and just keep front pressure on him and force a kick, he gains the kicks distance only.

Aaron has been good, but no more cheap stats please run past at speed earn your handball receive.

PS to the other players around him block sheppard create space for him to run into, create a path allow him to run forward hard with the footy no more sideways running, forward at speed help him to do this.

Opposition coaches target Davey as he has been our best player this year and his kicking efficiency can hurt them. Bailey needs to mix it up with him and not be so predictable. Davey needs to rotate through the midfield (love to see him spend a full quarter or two on the wing), forward line, back line and on the bench. Mix it up - he's proved that he can play many positions and if you move him around enough times we will get the mismatch we want and he will be damaging long enough hopefully to make a difference.

too often they give the ball to davey when there is a player in front of him waiting to tackle. it means he is then fored to kick sideways or cough it up.

it is a great tactic. but we now need to develop tactics B and C and D for the rest of the year. shelve the davey tactic. Or use it occassionally. next year we can have 4 options and use the one that is not being targeted at the time.

I think thats part of my point, if we know that they are waiting for us to give the ball to Davey, shouldn't we be smart enough either not to give him the ball to him or have other players around him to create space for him.

Our offensive teamwork is none existant, we don't work hard enough to help our team mates out when they have the ball.

Our use of Davey was smart and effective in the early stages of this season and he still is useful as a go to man. The problem is that the longer we keep doing this the more of an easy way out it is for our players when they get the ball. I think we have turned a genuine edge that we had into a crutch and the development of our players coming out of defence may suffer. Sure, if the player carrying the ball is an absoulute liability then give it to Davey (where possible) but I don't like how quickly we are to dish off to him or the frequency - we need to get more players to use the ball better themselves. Only 10 games to go, let's get as much out of them as possible.

Robert Walls on One Week at a Time highlighted that Davey is third in the leage for handball received, and said that we are over-relying on Davey to bring the ball out of defence. I think that's clearly the case, and we have to look at ways to ease the reliance on Davey.

walls and malcolm blight are idiots. i hate blight more, the only thing he says is how players should be running faster when they kick for goal as thats how they kik in general play. so annoying. He has no bloody clue

My theory is Robert Walls is a bitter, bitter old man, who needs some of those meds that Psychiatrist used to prescribed to couples with relationship problem in the 60's. In fact I have rarely see him smile and it worries me greatly, I have an overwhelming concern for that mans social and emotional well-being and I'm not joking.

Of course we have an over reliance on Davey. Who else is there? We don't have any other fast pace players with his experience and skill to fulfill that role. I agree we do need to protect/block more for him to free him up a bit, but not just him the rest of our midfield also, but we just don't have that cohesion...yet!

Davey needed to stand up this season and lead by example, he needs to continue to play the way he is playing. (Except for that shocking handball to Mathew Loyd) All our Senior players should be setting the standard for our younger player as it is important for their development.

Anyway after all that can't remember if I agreed with you or disagreed or what the hell I'm doing I should be asleep now instead of typing like a roomful of monkeys.

As an aside did anyone notice Davey's kick ins on Friday? he was doing an old smoke and mirrors/misdirection thing.

P.s Pineapple

what we need is for other players to also come past looking for the handball recieve from players like jamar and stef who we'd prefer not to kick it. it is a farce when davey runs 25 meters backwards, just to loop around jamar and get a handball. the defender knows what is happening straight away and instead of following him just goes to the other side of the mark. davey is then stuck because he can't kick on his right foot.

other players doing it occasionally would help (i.e. grimes or bennell from the back line (or even frawley)). also if it is simply not on, the player should just go back and kick to a contest.

We all know Davey is fast, but we aren't using this to our advantage. IMO we needs to be running at close to full speed when he receives the footy at the moment he gets it stops and usually short passes, great he hits the target but at the moment this ploy is actually slowing our ball movement up.

the reason he gets it, stops then short passes is because the opposition know what he is doing and make sure they are standing in front of him when he gets the ball. he is then left with no where to go.

the reason he gets it, stops then short passes is because the opposition know what he is doing and make sure they are standing in front of him when he gets the ball. he is then left with no where to go.

I think sometimes in these instances they (under instruction) try and stand off him when under pressure, so they force him to kick when stationery, because they don't want him breaking lines, because he can be more effective on the move and damaging in creating the loose man. If they rush him, he more often than not, one out, can eliminate them with his pace and then set up.