12 Sylvia, Colin 77 23yr 9mth

44 Valenti, Shane ® 10 22yr 3mth

37 Warnock, Matthew 29 25yr 2mth

4 Watts, Jack 0 18yr 1mth

31 Wheatley, Paul 132 27yr 5mth

45 Whelan, Matthew 141 29yr 6mth

33 Wonaeamirri, Austin 18 20yr 7mth

35 Zomer, Trent ®

My top 20(in order of players i'd be most annoyed to lose). Keeping in mind that players like Bruce, Green , mcdonald will be either retired or finishing off their careers when our young players are at their peak my list is mostly the younger blokes

1. watts

2. morton

3. mclean

4. frawley

5. garland

6. maric

7. jones

8. bennell

9. petterd

10. blease

11. martin

12. wonaeamirri

13.Rivers

14. grimes

15. cheney

16. Sylvia

17. Bate

18. Davey

19. J.Mckenzie

20. Strauss

Absolute untouchables:

8 Frawley, James 27 20yr 7mth

10 Morton, Cale 27 19yr 3mth

16 Grimes, Jack 3 20yr

18 Green, Brad 190 28yr 2mth

19 Maric, Addam 8 19yr

25 Cheney, Kyle 4 19yr 8mth

34 Martin, Stefan 15 22yr 5mth

36 Davey, Aaron 105 25yr 7mth

43 Bennell, Jamie 7 18yr 11mth

46 Blease, Sam 0 18yr 2mth

I was tempted to add Danny Hughes but I think he might be a bit older (the one I remember, anyway :D )

My preferences -

10 Morton, Cale 27 19yr 3mth

5 McLean, Brock 83 22yr 6mth

36 Davey, Aaron 105 25yr 7mth

43 Bennell, Jamie 7 18yr 11mth

2 Jones, Nathan 58 21yr 3mth

20 Garland, Colin 20 21yr

22 Moloney, Brent 77 25yr 3mth

6 Bate, Matthew 56 21yr 11mth

15 Petterd, Ricky 19 20yr 9mth

27 Rivers, Jared 77 24yr 6mth

25 Cheney, Kyle 4 19yr 8mth

33 Martin, Stefan 15 22yr 5mth

39 Jetta, Neville 5 19yr 3mth

8 Frawley, James 27 20yr 7mth

12 Sylvia, Colin 77 23yr 9mth

18 Green, Brad 190 28yr 2mth

7 Miller, Brad 118 25yr 11mth

19 Maric, Addam 8 19yr

3 Bartram, Clint 52 21yr 3mth

26 Meesen, John 6 22yr 10mth

42 Spencer, Jake ® 2 19yr 7mth

24 Robertson, Russell 218 30yr 5mth

49 McKenzie, Jordie ® 0 18yr 10mth

30 McNamara, Tom 0 19yr

41 Bail, Rohan 0 20yr 10mth

46 Blease, Sam 0 18yr 2mth

47 Strauss, James 0 18yr 11mth

23 McDonald, James 223 33yr

1 Buckley, Simon 21 22yr

21 Bell, Daniel 63 24yr 1mth

50 Healey, Rhys ® 0 19yr 1mth

48 Jurrah, Liam 0 20yr 7mth

45 Whelan, Matthew 141 29yr 6mth

32 Bruce, Cameron 192 29yr 7mth

11 Johnson, Paul 51 24yr 10mth

40 Jamar, Mark 66 25yr 8mth

38 Hughes, Danny ® 87 22yr 7mth

31 Wheatley, Paul 132 27yr 5mth

29 Newton, Michael 18 22yr

14 Dunn, Lynden 45 22yr

35 Zomer, Trent ®

The below is my list of our untouchables that we should under no circumstanes let go.

Rivers

Warnock

Bennell

Frawley

Martin

Garland

Blease

Davey

Petterd

Watts

Maric

Jurrah

Wonna

Morton

McLean

Grimes

Jones

Strauss

Watts

Morton

Grimes

Davey

Frawley

Martin

Garland

Blease

Rivers

Jones

Moloney

Strauss

Sylvia

Warnock

Bennell

Petterd

Maric

Wonaemirri

Mclean

Jurrah

I'm intrigued that so many are putting Jones high on your lists of untouchables. I agree he's got potential (& great strength). But he's not learning.

When he gets the ball I usually cringe at what's about to happen. Often it does. Too often Jones handballs to a player in a worse position, or even worse, he's pinged for not being able to decide when or where to dispose of it so he cops it for holding the ball. He'd be our player most penalised for holding the pill, I suspect. He is actually a prodigious kick (today's goal). Is he being trained in decision-making, how to quickly move the ball off to the best (or even a good) option? If all else fails, to put it on the boot and give it a hoof to the hot spot (read Robbo). Far better than being pinged for holding and turnover somewhere near the middle.

Get Davey to give him some lessons. I'd love to keep him, once he's improved his smarts...

I'm intrigued that so many are putting Jones high on your lists of untouchables. I agree he's got potential (& great strength). But he's not learning.

When he gets the ball I usually cringe at what's about to happen. Often it does. Too often Jones handballs to a player in a worse position, or even worse, he's pinged for not being able to decide when or where to dispose of it so he cops it for holding the ball. He'd be our player most penalised for holding the pill, I suspect. He is actually a prodigious kick (today's goal). Is he being trained in decision-making, how to quickly move the ball off to the best (or even a good) option? If all else fails, to put it on the boot and give it a hoof to the hot spot (read Robbo). Far better than being pinged for holding and turnover somewhere near the middle.

Get Davey to give him some lessons. I'd love to keep him, once he's improved his smarts...

He gets a lot of our contested ball though so most of his possessions are under pressure. He still has a little bit of work to do but i dont think its as bad as you think.

Cant believe you cant see improvement in Jones and is only just 21

Cant believe you cant see improvement in Jones and is only just 21

I think he was better previous years than this. I agree however, he's got potential.

Good thread idea. Forces you to make a choice, in regards to delistings too in some respects. Also, it has made me realise there is well over half a list of names here, any one of which I'd be devastated to lose. That surprised me. I thought Id struggle to crack 15 or 20 names that were all-important to retain.

I've split it into 3 groups. The ironclad must-keeps. The expendable/unknowns... and the guys who I couldn't care less about or who are too old to be considered.

In order: The must keeps -

Watts

Davey (still young enough and good enough to be hugely attractive)

Moloney (ditto)

Garland

Morton (yes... based on the last 2 weeks, as well as everything else I've seen of him)

McLean

Rivers (he's still got it)

Frawley

Bate

Jones

Petterd (could be higher due to his Queensland roots, but that aside this is where I have him)

PJ

Grimes (is only lower because 3 games isn't enough to place him higher. Ask me again in 10 weeks and he could be in the top 3 if he keeps going the way he is)

Bennell (all class, has to stay)

Maric (ditto)

Martin (is attractive to other clubs, he does the job)

Strauss (don't know much, but based on his TAC record he's still a recent high draft pick. Has currency)

Blease (ditto)

Meesen (Not sure he'd get looked at too much... GC will likely be looking for ruckmen who are in their early 20s so they can be sure they're not crystal-ball gazing with gangly teenagers. Puts him in GC's sights as he has early experience and form/potential)

Spencer (ditto, minus the age thing)

Buckley (by the skin of his teeth. I still think there's a lot he has in stock that he hasn't showed us yet. If he comes into form in the second half of the year, he would climb significantly)

Group two: The expendables.

Wonnaemerri (I'm in the BT camp. I love him but I'm not sure he'll scale any great heights. GC could be fooled)

Cheney (Just needs a little more time and form. He's one who we could replace, I think)

Warnock (We have a dearth of his type. Not too much more upside with him. Isn't flexible)

Jetta (Not quite convinced yet. Not far off though)

Bell (Limited. No-one would be broken hearted to see him go. Many would be overjoyed!)

Bartram (This is a tough one. He will likely be kept on at all costs as he has all the heart in the world. But he's replacable, and I'd hate to see him contracted before, say, Bennell... only to see the latter snaffled up by GC)

Miller (Is important currently, but his importance will wane each passing year)

Dunn (firmly in my bad books. We'd likely get a good pick for him too)

Jurrah (???)

McNamara (???)

McKenzie (???)

Bail (???)

Healey (???)

Newton (Would put we long-suffering fans of his out of our misery)

Sylvia (Meh. Could net a bargain)

Valenti (Limited)

And group three, the oldies and the ones I'd like to see gone before any of the above:

Hughes (He could go up, but I don't think he'll set the comp on fire. Would be flashy, but unlikely to dent our bad fortunes)

Zomer (Unlikely to see 2010, IMO)

Jamar (Hes my first selection for the three mandatory delistings, should it come to that)

Oldies, won't be considered.

McDonald

Robertson

Wheatley (isn't good enough either)

Whelan

Bruce

Green (Would be in group one, but only just signed a contract that'll see him a demon for his career)

tbh, that list is so young, youd have to give them some more time - wouldnt want to lose them.

the ones who are looking likely to get the bullet at the end of the year are

bell - 24 and cant get a game

jamar

then youve got

bruce, macca, robbo, wheels, green kinda, wheatley, getting on in years. - unfortunately as much as i lvoe these guys, they arent going to be a part of our next flag, simply because of their age. although i wouldnt mind seeing green as a 3rd tall when he gets older.

so now we start to talk about talent, and those who are talentless.

the bottom end of teh talent, as i see it, are

well, newton is a key forward and cant get a game in a team that is losing because it has no forward line

and it would be unfair of me to comment on guys who i havent seen play. such as

hughes, healy, mckenzie, mcnamara, bail etc.

so basically i think we are looking at losing, bell, jamar, newton, possibly junior (retired), robbo (possibly retired as well), maybe wheatley and whelan - although thatd be tough on those guys, since they are still only late twenties. would probably get games elsewhere, but if we are going after youth hardcore, then theyll be the ones to make way. either way, tough to cut this list at the end of the year

by the way, i would love to see us go hardcore after youth, and just get rid of the oldies. just say, guys, sorry, youre not going to be part of it, we have one last big draft year before the GC, sorry but see you later. well trade you if you like. etc. then have 3 years of draft picks come through together under bailey. give them 100 games each....get them to 24, 25, 26, and lookout world

then youve got

bruce, macca, robbo, wheels, green kinda, wheatley, getting on in years. - unfortunately as much as i lvoe these guys, they arent going to be a part of our next flag, simply because of their age.

bit harsh on green. He could very well be in our flag side.

by the way, i would love to see us go hardcore after youth, and just get rid of the oldies. just say, guys, sorry, youre not going to be part of it, we have one last big draft year before the GC, sorry but see you later. well trade you if you like. etc. then have 3 years of draft picks come through together under bailey. give them 100 games each....get them to 24, 25, 26, and lookout world

I don't see the point in swinging the axe too heavily this year. The draft isn't going to go as deep as previous years. Why not hang on the older guys who can still teach the kids a thing or two? Jmac, Robbo & Wheels all have a wealth of knowledge on the field, we need to make sure the kids get a chance to learn from them.

Absolute untouchables:

I'm sorry, but you cant be serious.

When people say Valenti will become a handy player at AFL level, capable of meaningfully contributing to a premiership side, I at least respect their opinion, though I cant see it happening.

But saying that he's absolutely untouchable is nothing short of insane. For someone to qualify for this list, they should be someone who you wouldnt trade for basically anything, even a first round pick. If Richmond finish 15th and offer us pick 3 for Valenti, are you honestly telling me the club would refuse to do the trade, and that you'd support this decision? Even if we got offered pick 30 for him, the club would take it in a heartbeat and the vast majority of supporters would be doing cartwheels.

I've broken this up into groups to make it a bit easier.

- Group 1 consists of players who I would literally not trade for anything- even for pick 1 or in a Chris Judd type scenario. I hold out serious hopes that these players will be superstars of the competition, and be talked about in hushed tones by Melbourne supporters years after their retirement.

- Group 2 consists of players who I'd absolutely hate to see go, but who I'd possibly look at trading for an early first round draft pick, or in a Chris Judd type scenario. Some of these players might be superstars one day. Some might not be, but have other attributes which make them extremely valuable to the list (e.g. they might be an integral play-maker, or a future captain). Some of these players, particularly the younger ones, could very well find themselves in Group 1 in a years time.

- Group 3 consists of promising younger players or very good older players. These players are important, but not absolutely essential, to our developing list. A late first round draft pick would be considered. An early first round draft pick or a marque player under 25 would almost definitely be taken.

- Group 4 consists of players who are very handy, but not vital, to our developing list. They're the sort of players I'd rather keep, but who I'd generally trade for a late first round/early second round draft pick if it were offered. Would trade some players in this group for anything as late as pick 35 or so.

- Group 5 consists of players who are not necessarily important to our list moving forward, and who we should be actively looking to trade, and in some cases accepting a late-ish pick.

- Group 6 consists of players who should be traded for whatever we can get, and in some cases delisted outright.

Group 1:

- 4 Watts, Jack 0 18yr 1mth

- 10 Morton, Cale 27 19yr 3mth

Group 2:

- 43 Bennell, Jamie 7 18yr 11mth

- 46 Blease, Sam 0 18yr 2mth

- 36 Davey, Aaron 105 25yr 7mth

- 20 Garland, Colin 20 21yr

- 16 Grimes, Jack 3 20yr

- 5 McLean, Brock 83 22yr 6mth

- 33 Wonaeamirri, Austin 18 20yr 7mth

- 47 Strauss, James 0 18yr 11mth

Group 3:

- 25 Cheney, Kyle 4 19yr 8mth

- 8 Frawley, James 27 20yr 7mth

- 2 Jones, Nathan 58 21yr 3mth

- 15 Petterd, Ricky 19 20yr 9mth

- 39 Jetta, Neville 5 19yr 3mth

- 18 Green, Brad 190 28yr 2mth

- 19 Maric, Addam 8 19yr

- 33 Martin, Stefan 15 22yr 5mth

- 27 Rivers, Jared 77 24yr 6mth

- 42 Spencer, Jake ® 2 19yr 7mth

Group 4:

- 7 Miller, Brad 118 25yr 11mth

- 12 Sylvia, Colin 77 23yr 9mth

- 37 Warnock, Matthew 29 25yr 2mth

- 22 Moloney, Brent 77 25yr 3mth

- 24 Robertson, Russell 218 30yr 5mth

- 32 Bruce, Cameron 192 29yr 7mth

Group 5:

- 6 Bate, Matthew 56 21yr 11mth

- 1 Buckley, Simon 21 22yr

- 11 Johnson, Paul 51 24yr 10mth

Group 6:

- 3 Bartram, Clint 52 21yr 3mth

- 21 Bell, Daniel 63 24yr 1mth

- 14 Dunn, Lynden 45 22yr

- 40 Jamar, Mark 66 25yr 8mth

- 26 Meesen, John 6 22yr 10mth

- 44 Valenti, Shane ® 10 22yr 3mth

- 35 Zomer, Trent ®

- 29 Newton, Michael 18 22yr

I think it is impossible to assign Jurrah, Healey, Hughes, Bail or McKenzie to any of these groups at this stage. I expect McDonald, Wheatley and Whelan to retire at years end, and didn't want to put any of them in Group 7 out of respect to three great servants of the club.

I've broken this up into groups to make it a bit easier.........

............I think it is impossible to assign Jurrah, Healey, Hughes, Bail or McKenzie to any of these groups at this stage. I expect McDonald, Wheatley and Whelan to retire at years end, and didn't want to put any of them in Group 7 out of respect to three great servants of the club.

Wow nice work just on the effort.

If Richmond finish 15th and offer us pick 3 for Valenti, are you honestly telling me the club would refuse to do the trade, and that you'd support this decision?

Nope, but was trying to be realistic. If pick 3 was available for anybody, then there's a few who would move from "untouchable" to grab it. Age would certainly become a bigger factor too. Older players for pick 3 (if available) might well be good trade, whereas for a more realistic pick you wouldn't consider it.

From what I've seen, Valenti is in a group including Maric, Cheney, Jetta, maybe Bail & Jurrah (not seen them) - all different I know but still very much 'in school' and learning and getting experience. Got certain potential. Time will tell which category they belong in. Hopefully by end of year we will know more definitely.

1. Watts

2. Morton

3. Davey

4. Garland

5. Rivers

6. Warnock

7. Frawley

8. McLean

9. Wonaeamirri

10. Martin

11. Bennell

12. Jones