Round 6 changes

Not tag Gary Ablett? I think I'll lay a bet on 50+ possessions.

Well, you could put your best inside ballwinner on him and see who gets to the ball first. You remove the ball from his area rather than preventing him from reaching the ball. Admittedly, it would take a spectacular effort to pull it off, but i'd rather see that than Bartram picking himself up from wherever he's been dumped and watching Ablett disappear into the distance.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OUT - MOTRON - I think he's got a case of the yips and lacking in Confidence. Finding the ball is nothing if you cant pass it off effectively.

- PJ - not great conditions for a big man but made a right meal of them last night, his out means Spencer in for another crack

IN - ROBBO - we could all do with a bit of excitement after last night!!

- SPENCER - hopefully grabbing the opportunity with both hands!!!

Id actually like to keep Newton in the team for another couple of weeks. He too has a problem with confidence but if the Coaching staff keep backing him im sure the tide will turn and hell kick a bag..

Possible needs to tattoo keep it simple stupid on his arm (banana kick from 2 mtrs out) but will find his way.

BARTS- Has a need I guess in the team, can stay but has to work on not butchering the ball.

MILLER - can stay works hard, just need to work on Goal kicking or Davey needs to always be beside him for the give.

BATE - Similar to Miller except should spend a training session on his knees learning how to handle a ball below them.

Guest petjud
We're not playing for the premiership cup next week (or anytime soon). Worst case scenario Newton plays this week and misses a sitter or two - so what? There's little harm done in the grand scheme of things.

I think his kicking is a mental issue and he needs confidence. He's getting shots at goal, which is more than half the battle as a forward, and if he finished them off in the past two weeks I think most would think he was travelling okay.

Bartram's output hasn't been great of late - his disposal certainly lets him down (and I'm not referring to his behind). His disposal isn't as bad as Godfrey's but at the moment I don't think it's good enough to sustain a long and successful career either. Admittedly it sounds like a very tough time for him this year - not just yesterday. However, if he's playing as a tagger you'd have to weigh up his efforts there with his limited output with the ball.

As for Jetta, what's he done so right? From where I sit he isn't quick and hasn't had a major impact at any time I can recall in the past five weeks. It is his first season of AFL footy so this doesn't mean he's a "dud" but it does mean that his position should be up for grabs. With Maric playing very well at Casey over an extended period it's time to give him a run, and Jetta's a like-for-like swap.

Like Maric, who has been racking up good games at Casey seemingly at will :)

I am concerned that if Maric comes in and does not perform spectacularly then the knives will be out on here, 3 and a bit games at VFL level, with a couple of caveats from Peter German on his performance

hence my thoughts that he should rotate with Jetta,

Jetta has given 100% every game, he has done some good things and some bad, I personally think he will eventually become a lot more than a crumbing forward, hence DB's persidtence with getting time into him, think Maric will be a crumbing forward only, who can also make his own goals on occasion

The last few weeks have not been perfect to forwards, we have maybe got it right once with the service in agaisst Richmond

it will not help Maric at all if he comes in and hardly gets a touch and gets beaten up in the process,

Jetta seems to be able to handle the physical already.

Think Maric will appear this week but as I said hopefully in tandem with Jetta.

Why must posters here always refer to the I remember when, Bartam is his own player, I think a lot of posters on here want 22 players who all kick goals, break tackles, run like the wind, take towering marks, and look good on camera.......we play that this week...

...think Maric will be a crumbing forward only, who can also make his own goals on occasion

The last few weeks have not been perfect to forwards, we have maybe got it right once with the service in agaisst Richmond

it will not help Maric at all if he comes in and hardly gets a touch and gets beaten up in the process,

Jetta seems to be able to handle the physical already.

Think Maric will appear this week but as I said hopefully in tandem with Jetta.

Maric has better skills, awareness and pace than Jetta and will become a mid who can play forward and kick goals. Not sure if you have seen him this season but he is much bigger than last year and will be able to cope with physical intimidation from Geelong.

In any case:

I actually hope we go on the attack this weekend and play some more skilled smarter players.

Out: Johnson, Newton, Jetta and a negative/defensive type player. I havent decided who yet.

In: Pencil, Robbo, Maric, Grimes

Guest petjud

I have spoken to Maric face to face and I am no giant and neither is he, hope he gets his chance, but as I said in tandem, why ditch a player who has done nothing wrong, not exactly a high performing team who can carry passengers at the moment are we?

My secret is contained in the first sentence I have a soft spot for both Jetta and Bartram, I am not a giant, and my skiills were not very good but I could run all day and tackls and most of the time played as a Tagger, although we weren't called that in my day.

Best game I ever had was playing on a so called 'suburban superstar' in QLD, I did such a good job he ended throwing a punch and got four weeks at the tribunal.

I will take a team of battlers any day over superstars, the team will grow and we will develop our superstars, we never will if we keep casting them off as they try and learn their craft, Gary Ablett had patches when he started, but as he said on an interview, he turned the corner when he got confidence.....you don't get confidence if you are dumped from a team and have been playing well.....would love DB to come on here and give his reasons why he plays both Jetta and Bartram....it may shut up a few of the super coaches on here.......

His efforts last year were ordinary at best. Take away his junk time goals and you are left with the odd high leap, little to no defensive pressure and a poor example of a "team" player.

The fact that he's our best forward says very little about his talents.

Explain how Robbo will help Watts in any way.

I will say it again. He has no part in our future, he'll be lucky to play any more than 6 games for us this year. Will end up at Casey and retire at year's end.

How could you say ordinary at best he kicked 20 goals in 8-10 games thats more than a majority of our forwards would kick in a whole year.

And in helping watts, the wors thing we can do is have him come strait in and exposed as our main constant go to forward.

If he constantly gets beat considering his age and strength it will reck him mentally and getting out monstered by the likes of bock,rutten,fletcher would be a disaster.

If he plays second to robbo for as long as robbo keeps going he'll gain more confidence as the pressure wont be on him to kick our goals and do all the work in a weak forward line. And as soon as his ready wich shouldnt be too long, bythen robbo would have gone and he should be ready and used to afl standard.

It is a fine line between developing players and putting your best current team on the park. Robbo will come in that is certain, and the easy player to drop is Newton. I have stated before that Newton and Robbo will not work well together and both are limited to what positions they can play and that is the same position. The only other option IMO is dropping Bate and on current form he is certainly putting his hand up for a run at Casey. Bates big issue is his work ethic and running capacity. Today's game is about running and running hard at the moment it looks like he can't or chooses not to. Even knowing my position on Newton and Robbo I think we have to see if it can work which means Bate has a spell.

Player development is what 2009 is about, we have two top 25 draft picks waiting to play and so far they have had limited AFL exposure, we need to see Grimes and Maric they need 10-15 games this year for there development. Jetta has done nothing wrong but he has had 5 games it wouldn't harm him to go back for a couple of weeks get some confidence in his goal kicking and then bring him back for another 5-10 games. We did this with Morton last year and he came back a much better player. This will happen to Bennell as well, we mustn't look at dropping these young players as hindering there development it might make them a little more hungry to play AFL whilst still playing against men but they will have a bit more time to fine tune there skills.

Who goes out for Grimes, more than likely no one this week but expect Bartram, Petterd, Dunn, Bennell, Johnson/Meesen to spend time at Casey over the next month to make room for Grimes, Bail, Bell, Whelan, Spencer, Buckley, some players might not deserve to get dropped in our eyes but we have to develop as many players as we can to get game time into the majority of our list but unfortunately we can only play 22 players per week.

It is a fine line between developing players and putting your best current team on the park. Robbo will come in that is certain, and the easy player to drop is Newton. I have stated before that Newton and Robbo will not work well together and both are limited to what positions they can play and that is the same position. The only other option IMO is dropping Bate and on current form he is certainly putting his hand up for a run at Casey. Bates big issue is his work ethic and running capacity. Today's game is about running and running hard at the moment it looks like he can't or chooses not to. Even knowing my position on Newton and Robbo I think we have to see if it can work which means Bate has a spell.

Firstly your basis of why Robbo and Newton will not work together does not gel as very little game time is played flying for speccies. While Robbo may be limited, he indeed gives us an option up forward and he can actually kick straight which many posters (not you though) think is not important.

I am not sure what positions Newton can actually play because he has never given anything to suggest that he can command a position. The criticism you make of Bate are valid. But FCS, Newton's failings in this area makes Bate a pro.

For the reasons you drop I cant think why you would keep Newton in the team.

Keep in mind this year is not just about development but team building and that includes sussing out whos worth a spot going forward..and who's clogging !!

INS: GRIMES (TALENTED), CHENEY (HARD NUT), MARIC (SKILLS), ROBERTSON (TARGET), WONAEAMRRI (SKILLS)

OUS: JOHNSON (PONCE), JETTA (CAN'T KICK), NEWTON (CLOWN), BATE (SLOW), MORTON (SOFT)

Play Miller and Martin rotating as the second ruckman.

I would start Davey on Ablett and if it doesn't work use Bartram as the back up plan. We won't stop him we may as well try something different.

We have to be hard at it and hit targets to be competitve the 5 ins have that abilty and the 5 outs don't at the minute.

*Rattle* *Rattle*

If Ablett does not have a tag he will amass 50 to 60 possessions and kill us on his own. And remember one Ablett possession is more painful than a couple of MFC possessions.

Ablett draws the man, handballs, creates his own space with his great leg speed, and gets the footy back. The majority of Ablett's possessions come in 2s or 3s within seconds. X Ablett possessions are not damaging like X Judd possessions.

Playing Davey on Ablett would be a great move IMO, the only man who can keep up with him and a proven tackler in red hot form.

Bartram to rotate with Dunn to play on Ablett. Must use both players to keep up with Yabba Abba!

IN Robbo and Maric (If ready)

OUT Bate and Newton or possibly Jetta

I would like to see Valenti out there but he is still a rookie. I believe he is in our best 22!

This morning I was on the get rid of Newton band wagon but I have softened over the day. The reason why I don't think Robbo and Newton can play in the same team includes the competing for the high mark but the main reasons are they both lack defensive skills/desire,and they both seem to limited to playing out of the goal square if they both struggle you got nowhere else to put them. I'm now going to go against what I just stated, I think Newton deserve the chance to be the third forward option for a couple of weeks. In two weeks if he is still playing like last night back to Casey he goes. Bate has had enough chances, Newton has only come in when we lose a key forward and is expected to kick a bag of goals, Bate just seems to get a game regardless. I hope Bate isn't like most of our supporters and continues to only turn up when we are playing well. He can play, he just needs to work harder.

Guest digga
OUT - MOTRON - I think he's got a case of the yips and lacking in Confidence. Finding the ball is nothing if you cant pass it off effectively.

Fool

Ablett draws the man, handballs, creates his own space with his great leg speed, and gets the footy back. The majority of Ablett's possessions come in 2s or 3s within seconds. X Ablett possessions are not damaging like X Judd possessions.

Playing Davey on Ablett would be a great move IMO, the only man who can keep up with him and a proven tackler in red hot form.

Davey would not survive the first shepherd placed on him when Ablett gets the ball and probably wont even see the 2nd and 3rd possessions. It a silly comment comparing Judd and Ablett. Ablett has been clear BOG for at least the last three weeks.

Further I have yet to see Davey make a front on tackle and his tackling is only from running down slower opponents from behind. Ablett wins the ball in close and on the flank and there will be no easier kills with Ablett. His awareness and ability to keep his balance are exquisite.

I am concerned that if Maric comes in and does not perform spectacularly then the knives will be out on here, 3 and a bit games at VFL level, with a couple of caveats from Peter German on his performance

hence my thoughts that he should rotate with Jetta,

I doubt the knives will be out if he doesn't perform spectacularly. Jetta has been far from spectacular and the knives aren't out for him. I think there's generally an understanding that guys like Jetta and Maric are quite young, inexperienced and thus unlikely to set the world on fire.

One would be forgiven for thinking you were Jetta's Mum after seeing your reaction to reasonable arguments for dropping Jetta, after giving the youngster five consecutive weeks in the big league during his first season, for the more experienced (and in-form) Maric.

Jetta has given 100% every game, he has done some good things and some bad, I personally think he will eventually become a lot more than a crumbing

Why must posters here always refer to the I remember when, Bartam is his own player, I think a lot of posters on here want 22 players who all kick goals, break tackles, run like the wind, take towering marks, and look good on camera.......we play that this week...

I think comparing taggers is fair, but clearly you don't see it that way. Regardless, AFL players are less and less likely to have successful careers if they can't use the footy.

I'm sure everyone on here should want all 22 players who 'have it all' but I doubt they expect it. In case you were implying otherwise, I certainly don't expect that. I do expect that to be a successful team we'll need most - if not all - of our players to use the footy decently.

Bring on Addam Maric!

aka '[censored]'

His name is spelt with 2 d's. Double D's.

....hence [censored]. That should be his nickname lol

Hopefully Robbo returns also.

Guest digga
IN - Bail , Maric , Spencer

OUT - Newton , Bate, Johnson

Spencer wont come in, plus i think he injured his foot?

hence johnson will stay.

Newton will go but not bate.

Bail will not get picked.

Too bad YM. Another frustrating week at the selection table for you.

Bruce to share Ablett-watch with Dunn.

I hope we persist with Newton. He's a rare thing at MFC: a forward who can take a contested grab within range - just need to have the radar sorted. 2:7 is a rotten return but he will improve if we back him. Whether he improves enough for the long term is another issue, but he should stay for now.

And those wanting Johnson dropped, did any of you see those two around-the-body passes into the danger zone - one resulted in a goal the other should have. He is not a Number One ruck but he and Spencer were slaughtered as a unit first up so Meeson and Johnno it is until the Russian has another try.

And those wanting Johnson dropped, did any of you see those two around-the-body passes into the danger zone - one resulted in a goal the other should have. He is not a Number One ruck but he and Spencer were slaughtered as a unit first up so Meeson and Johnno it is until the Russian has another try.

Did you see the two attempted handpasses: i.e. he picked the ball up, then went to handpass, then dropped the ball. He makes far too many mistakes to be keeping his spot at the moment.

Spencer is hurt right now so he won't be back... so PJ for now. Can't believe im saying it but can't wait for Jamar!! haha. Jamar and Meesen would be much much much better than any other combo.

I am not a fan of dropping guys like Jetta, Bennell, Bartram or even Newton....

But some people have to make way because Robbo will play, and I beleive Maric will finally get that run you all want so badly...

Ins:

RUSSELL ROBERTSON - I have always had an extremely love/hate relationship when it comes to Robbo, I have hated him when he tries to do the spectacular and fails, especially when the chest mark would have been enough. I have loved him when he wins us a game off his own boot..... I felt very much the same about Adem Yze last season.... Difference is, Robbo is better than Yze was, always has been. Plus his position is far far far more important and harder to fill. He is an experienced player who knows how to kick goals, he will not be missing and dead easy set shots for goal and is extremely smart with his leads, if the supply is good enough he will kick goals. He kicked 5 in the VFL this week and it's surely time for him to be back.

ADDAM MARIC - This months hyped player in the world of Demonland... His perceived importance to the team does seem to be greatly exaggerated but that being said I also rate the kid very highly. His skills are top notch and he has some pace, but I definately question his work rate "without" the ball in his hands. He definately also shows a lack of a defensive side, however from what ive seen he has worked on it a bit through Casey, and if he plays this week it will be a massive massive massive test against a defence that will be running out of the backline fast and skillfully. It's time for this young star to shine, he has all the tools to be a great player for us, most likely in the Milne/Brown role, which we can't complain with. Im very excited to see him play, but perhaps even more excited to see how Demonland reacts when he doesn't kick 6 goals.

Outs:

MATTHEW BATE - Argh.... Thats all I can really say about Bate. He dissapoints me time and time again.... He is lazy, has shocking awareness and a poor football brain. He is extremely one paced.

My major gripe with Bate is that ive seen him play some good footy, but it is so incredibly inconsistent. I think he just needs to work harder. Im not sure about Bate still, I want him to be star but he frustrates the hell out of me.

???? - Take your pick really, not sure how I feel about dropping Newton, mainly because he needs to get some confidence and we need to see if he can kick those all important set shots, because if he kicked straight we may have won on the w/e, he did present quite well all game. PJ.... god I wish but with no Spencer or Jamar we are lost right now. We could drop Jetta... But I love his enthusiasm, he runs his heart out and does the team things, really don't wanna see him dropped yet. Calls to drop Bennell are ridiculous. I rate Bartam, he fights for the ball and is a tremendous stopper. But someone must make way for 'the messiah' in Maric. Im guessing it will be one of Bartram or Jetta, most likely Jetta due to team needs.

Guest petjud
Spencer is hurt right now so he won't be back... so PJ for now. Can't believe im saying it but can't wait for Jamar!! haha. Jamar and Meesen would be much much much better than any other combo.

I am not a fan of dropping guys like Jetta, Bennell, Bartram or even Newton....

But some people have to make way because Robbo will play, and I beleive Maric will finally get that run you all want so badly...

Ins:

RUSSELL ROBERTSON - I have always had an extremely love/hate relationship when it comes to Robbo, I have hated him when he tries to do the spectacular and fails, especially when the chest mark would have been enough. I have loved him when he wins us a game off his own boot..... I felt very much the same about Adem Yze last season.... Difference is, Robbo is better than Yze was, always has been. Plus his position is far far far more important and harder to fill. He is an experienced player who knows how to kick goals, he will not be missing and dead easy set shots for goal and is extremely smart with his leads, if the supply is good enough he will kick goals. He kicked 5 in the VFL this week and it's surely time for him to be back.

ADDAM MARIC - This months hyped player in the world of Demonland... His perceived importance to the team does seem to be greatly exaggerated but that being said I also rate the kid very highly. His skills are top notch and he has some pace, but I definately question his work rate "without" the ball in his hands. He definately also shows a lack of a defensive side, however from what ive seen he has worked on it a bit through Casey, and if he plays this week it will be a massive massive massive test against a defence that will be running out of the backline fast and skillfully. It's time for this young star to shine, he has all the tools to be a great player for us, most likely in the Milne/Brown role, which we can't complain with. Im very excited to see him play, but perhaps even more excited to see how Demonland reacts when he doesn't kick 6 goals.

Outs:

MATTHEW BATE - Argh.... Thats all I can really say about Bate. He dissapoints me time and time again.... He is lazy, has shocking awareness and a poor football brain. He is extremely one paced.

My major gripe with Bate is that ive seen him play some good footy, but it is so incredibly inconsistent. I think he just needs to work harder. Im not sure about Bate still, I want him to be star but he frustrates the hell out of me.

???? - Take your pick really, not sure how I feel about dropping Newton, mainly because he needs to get some confidence and we need to see if he can kick those all important set shots, because if he kicked straight we may have won on the w/e, he did present quite well all game. PJ.... god I wish but with no Spencer or Jamar we are lost right now. We could drop Jetta... But I love his enthusiasm, he runs his heart out and does the team things, really don't wanna see him dropped yet. Calls to drop Bennell are ridiculous. I rate Bartam, he fights for the ball and is a tremendous stopper. But someone must make way for 'the messiah' in Maric. Im guessing it will be one of Bartram or Jetta, most likely Jetta due to team needs.

Well said one of the most measured, reasoned and knowledgaable posts on team selection I have read.

Unfortunately as the new Messiah appears the howling from the masses becomes hysterical.

I am waiting with bated breath for Watts to have one or two 'good' games in Casey seniors in the next week or two and the chanting will start......good luck to Maric this week if he makes it.......god help him if his defence lets him, the team and the disciples down...........he should ask Bate how to handle this........