ANZAC football

I think that the proposed Melbourne vs. Sydney game at Manuka is a clever idea. I also think that there is some substance to the symbolic representation of opposing sporting teams as proxies for warring armies/tribes. And furthermore, I acknowledge that a period of silence at the 'G can be a moving experience and that the majority of people at the ground tomorrow will probably be at least a little moved in rememberence of the diggers.

But am I the only one here who thinks that the AFL and the media are laying it on a bit thick?

I noticed that they played the last post before the Saints /Power match. It's not even ANZAC day yet.

The "traditional" Essendon vs. Collingwood match, which comes with it's own special medal no less, has only been around since 1995.

When does a respectful acknowledgement of the significance of the public holiday become a cynical, marketing exercise?

For the pruposes of the public reverence of dead soldiers, despite the gladiatorial hyperbole, is a footy match at the 'G any more appropriate a forum than a rave at Gallipoli?

I'm interested to hear what people think.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the whole war/ANZAC day/national pride thing is now being laid on too thick. But it's politically incorrect to say so, and I'd be lynched if I proposed that view in public.

Ooops, this is public. :(

I know! While I'm at it - the bushfire money is questionable and the internet filter is a stupid idea.

Good to get that off my chest.

But am I the only one here who thinks that the AFL and the media are laying it on a bit thick?

I noticed that they played the last post before the Saints /Power match. It's not even ANZAC day yet.

The "traditional" Essendon vs. Collingwood match, which comes with it's own special medal no less, has only been around since 1995.

When does a respectful acknowledgement of the significance of the public holiday become a cynical, marketing exercise?

For the pruposes of the public reverence of dead soldiers, despite the gladiatorial hyperbole, is a footy match at the 'G any more appropriate a forum than a rave at Gallipoli?

You're spot on there. The media circus around football and ANZAC day is just over the top. I mean, how can a footballer win the ANZAC medal? It's a disgrace...

As for a Melbourne V Sydney game at Canberra, I think that's a great idea. Although they'll never put another game up against Collingwood V Essendon, and there will never be a night game at Canberra, so I can't see it happening on ANZAC day...

I think the whole war/ANZAC day/national pride thing is now being laid on too thick.

I'm with you ML. Used to be that Australians were an understated mob. We could be proud of our country without all the hand-on-heart earnestness. That was the American way & we've followed. Like Australia Day, Anzac Day has been hijacked by bogans wrapped in flags. Reckon most old guys who did the brave things wouldn't hold with that, either.

I'm with you ML. Used to be that Australians were an understated mob. We could be proud of our country without all the hand-on-heart earnestness. That was the American way & we've followed. Like Australia Day, Anzac Day has been hijacked by bogans wrapped in flags. Reckon most old guys who did the brave things wouldn't hold with that, either.

"Un-Australian" is not a term that I like to use much - but it is perfect for describing young Australians who wrap themselves in flags.

Absolutely.

A 14 year old "tradition" that ends up as some overhyped, self indulgent rush of media bs equivocating the "feats of modern day footballers" with the terrors endured by so many young many in the name of honour and country.

A truly sad turn of events. Whilst I'm glad in a way the ANZAC day match has brought such recognition to those who lost their lives, it has gone down the path of modern life unfortunately - focussing more on the substance of the event than the heart of it.

What should be a day of solemn recognition for those past has turned into a convoluted marketing wankfest.

My Grandfather fought on the Somme, WW1.

My Father fought in New Guinea, WW2.

When I was a kid, I marched with the old man on Anzac days.

My brother-in-law fought in Vietnam.

We do the dawn service each year.

Hazy, you are correct. I was saying the same to the missus tonight.

Don't you people worry about political correctness! Say what you think. That's what they fought for.

Cheers to that.

I think that the proposed Melbourne vs. Sydney game at Manuka is a clever idea. I also think that there is some substance to the symbolic representation of opposing sporting teams as proxies for warring armies/tribes. And furthermore, I acknowledge that a period of silence at the 'G can be a moving experience and that the majority of people at the ground tomorrow will probably be at least a little moved in rememberence of the diggers.

Good post and I completely agree.

It's interesting that in a subsequent post you use the term "un-Australian". My wife hates that term and doesn't understand what it means. I find it hard explaining it to her, although I expect it has some connotation with the good old Aussie moto of 'a fair go'.

For a thoughtful and articulate thinker it's a shame that you're so unreasonable when it comes to the current Board and their achievements in difficult circumstances. But I don't want to divert the thread.

Guest unstable punt
I think the whole war/ANZAC day/national pride thing is now being laid on too thick. But it's politically incorrect to say so, and I'd be lynched if I proposed that view in public.

agree totally. always have, all the pontificating that goes on about ANZAC day gives me the shits. What give's me the shits even more is that the filth and bummers think they have a god given right to play the frickin' game

I cannot stand the playing of the last post at all the games of this round. Completely unecessary. I can understand it at Coll v Ess, since that game is meant to be a tribute to the ANZACs. But the rest of them are just football matches.

And also, I'm what you would call 'youth', and I hate seeing anyone wearing the flag like a cape. Shows complete ignorance.

I know! While I'm at it - the bushfire money is questionable and the internet filter is a stupid idea.

I absolutely loathe the first home buyers grant.

Totally counterproductive to its target constitutuency, a waste of taxpayers money and a political [censored] to be seen to be doing something when what your doing is worsening the situation.

Agree on the Anzac Day tripe.

The internet filter is a stupid idea though. Totally different things.

But I don't think the AFL and media are making a big deal about it. Or too big a deal. I think it's perfect coverage. I go to the dawn service every year, and it's not like the networks take advantage of the day (at least I don't think so).

The Coll v Ess game was derived by the coach's, not by the AFL or networks.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER

the war veterans that fought for our freedom donts seem to mind anzac day being laid on to thick.

the war veterans that fought for our freedom donts seem to mind anzac day being laid on to thick.

How do you know?

I am sure a number would not be happy having the day hijacked for commercial interests.

There is difference between the commnity respectfullly and duly honouring its war dead and organisations seeking and pushing an alignment with the ANZAC spirit that is nothing more than spin and self interest.

I cannot stand the playing of the last post at all the games of this round. Completely unecessary. I can understand it at Coll v Ess, since that game is meant to be a tribute to the ANZACs. But the rest of them are just football matches.

And also, I'm what you would call 'youth', and I hate seeing anyone wearing the flag like a cape. Shows a complete lack of ignorance.

I agree on all points titan. Last night's last post at the Port v St.K game, just didn't sit well with me. It should be heard on Anzac Day only IMO. In particular the feature Anzac match.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
How do you know?

I am sure a number would not be happy having the day hijacked for commercial interests.

There is difference between the commnity respectfullly and duly honouring its war dead and organisations seeking and pushing an alignment with the ANZAC spirit that is nothing more than spin and self interest.

so what are you trying to say rhino, are you saying the afl are taking advantage of our fallen soldiers, and they should cancel the anzac day game because its nothing more than a spin and self interest ?

JtR, I think the problem for many of us has been the use of the ANZAC "vibe" (the Last Post as an example) in all matches on the weekend.

It reeks of marketing from the AFL attempting to build crowds - linking ANZAC day to matches like Freo Sydney, with neither team existing during the war.

It was a fantastic initiative that helped build awareness of ANZACs, and has been a great way for people to pay tribute, but it now seems to be going over the top, diluting the message and in a sense lessening the impact of commemoration

so what are you trying to say rhino, are you saying the afl are taking advantage of our fallen soldiers, and they should cancel the anzac day game because its nothing more than a spin and self interest ?

That's not what is being said here, I think they just need to pull things back a few notches.

When you hear the last post, it's a time to stand, sit, or listen in silence, whereever you are, at the ground, watching on television etc. If I watch 5 games of footy this weekend, when I hear it the 5th time I'm not going to be paying it the same attention that I did the first time. I'm not paying the last post the attention it deserves. No one would hearing it for the 5th time, it's human nature. The fact that it's being flogged everywhere, left right and centre, takes away from the significance of the entire thing. ANZAC day isn't about ceremonies, it's about remembering, and that's been a point that has been lost.

Just on a side note, I was at the dawn service today, and I couldn't believe there were grubs wearing Collingwood and Essendon gear there. Today is not about football!

Read White Noise by Don Delillo if you would like to understand what we're talking about.

Simulacra is the idea that the more something is symbolized, the less "real" it becomes and the more difficult it becomes to identify reality.

"Un-Australian" is not a term that I like to use much - but it is perfect for describing young Australians who wrap themselves in flags.

How is that " Un Australian" a proud young person not shy to show his true colors.

IMO it depends how he goes about it.

How is that " Un Australian" a proud young person not shy to show his true colors.

IMO it depends how he goes about it.

Of course it's fine to show your colours. Paint your face. Wear a T-shirt. There are plenty of ways to show that you love Australia. But wearing a flag as a garment is wrong. People have died fighting under that flag. It isn't a piece of clothing. It isn't a toy. It is much more than that. It's disrespectful and ignorant.

Hopefully that's what you meant when you said 'it depends how he goes about it'.

Absolutely.

A 14 year old "tradition" that ends up as some overhyped, self indulgent rush of media bs equivocating the "feats of modern day footballers" with the terrors endured by so many young many in the name of honour and country.

A truly sad turn of events. Whilst I'm glad in a way the ANZAC day match has brought such recognition to those who lost their lives, it has gone down the path of modern life unfortunately - focussing more on the substance of the event than the heart of it.

What should be a day of solemn recognition for those past has turned into a convoluted marketing wankfest.

This piece was written by a Sydney sports journalist regarding the NRL match played this afternoon, but it really does apply to the AFL as well.......

Lest we forget who the real heroes are

This piece was written by a Sydney sports journalist regarding the NRL match played this afternoon, but it really does apply to the AFL as well.......

Lest we forget who the real heroes are

Would be good if someone in the AFL media had the cahonies to right a similar article. The problem is, the media is the most responsible for what it all has become, they make money off it, they're not going to shoot it down.

Need someone like Aker to come out in his article to put something like this forward.