Changes for next week against Richmond

Je Roos Salem

If Junior's fit ..I'be looking to drop Bartram - who quite frankly hasn't got the skills to be part of the side in the long-term

He has beaten Harvey and Ebert in the last three weeks.

Annihilated them.

He can't kick but, jeez, you can't drop him.

Unless there are niggles I don't know about, and if Moloney comes up, we might have a settled side.

Sylvia should be given another month to turn it around or that's it.

Petterd might be a chance if Maric is ready.

Jetta and Bennell give us some energy but one might need a rest.

Dunn should not get the yo-yo treatment.

PJ doesn't play like a 200cm rover, rovers like the hard stuff.

He is playing like a 200cm Chris Johnson...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree with some of your comments there. Especially about Bartram. He's just about the only tagger in the team we have. The other midfielders like Jones, Mclean and Moloney just aren't accountable at the moment, and can't even take care of themselves let alone an opposition player. Bartram doesn't get stats because he tags.

(I think you'll find that Martin played on Ebert. Harvey is well out of form - and if anything acted as a decoy for Thomas and Campbell)

Actually Bartram is usually just asigned to a small forward . Nowadays he rarely goes in to the middle to tag one of the opposition playmakers . If anything he is less of a tagger now than he was in his first year. Junior ( and Dunn) are our main run with players - and I think Grimes is one of the next in line.

I'm not so worried about Bartram's lack of possessions - but about his loose kicking when he does get the ball. He must get more depth and penetration into his kicking if he is to be part of a winning defence

(I think you'll find that Martin played on Ebert. Harvey is well out of form - and if anything acted as a decoy for Thomas and Campbell)

Actually Bartram is usually just asigned to a small forward . Nowadays he rarely goes in to the middle to tag one of the opposition playmakers . If anything he is less of a tagger now than he was in his first year. Junior ( and Dunn) are our main run with players - and I think Grimes is one of the next in line.

I'm not so worried about Bartram's lack of possessions - but about his loose kicking when he does get the ball. He must get more depth and penetration into his kicking if he is to be part of a winning defence

Hmm im not sure who he tagged against Port but you're probably right. But agree with the loose kicking factor. He's a shocking kick, and had so much potential when he came into the team. Kind of reminded me of T Johnstone. But saying that I think we have bigger fish to fry than Bartram.

I can't believe peoiple want to drop PJ. He did have a shocker last week but he gives us several options ... and he's still running into form after an interrupted pre-season. He has played enough good footy in the last couple of years to be forgiven a poor game or two.You couldn't go into a game with Meeson and Spencer interchanging all day.

What options are those hoopla? He's been tried forward: didn't work. He's played ruck for most of his career: still hasn't developed any consistency. His 3 matches so far have been poor. He doesn't use his weight enough. I'd much rather use Spencer than PJ.

The Bail 4 Bartram more what Id like to see, however I think Bartram will play, im just not a big rap, far too defensive, gives us no real drive the other way!

Agree. Playing with Bartram sometimes feels like playing with 21 players. He does an ok shut-down role limiting the opposition player, but at the expense of his entire game. A good run-with player is an important part to a midfield, but they need to have an offensive game as well to not only shut-down their opponent, but keep there opponent honest as well with their own game ala Cameron Ling.

Maybe time to see what a Simon Buckley or a Rohan Bail could do in that role?

Rubbish. Sylvia was yet again ineffectual yesterday. I would love to know how the club or whoever wrote that article came to the conclusion that Sylvia was one of out best.

Probably added Sylvia to make up the numbers. Hard to write a 'Best' summary with so limited players to choose from every week...

Changes for Mine:

In: Maric, Newton.

Out: Dunn, Jetta.

The In's --

Maric: His good form needs to be rewarded. Hopefully can pick up from where he left off last year.

Newton: As I stated on another thread, Newton on his own merits probably doesn't desire a game in the senior side (yet anyway). However, I think he can still offer the current side a fair bit in terms of forward line structure in having another key target (so far having P Johnson up forward in patches isn't adding much); allowing Miller and Bate more freedom to play further away from the goal square to where they're more naturally placed on the half-forward line pushing up the ground, and; another key forward will create more crumbing opportunities and therefore a better crumbing game for the Jettas/Marics and Daveys in the side to capitalize on.

The Out's --

Dunn: Unless Dunn is going to play predominately as a forward, I can't see a great benefit in having both himself and Bartram in the same team with run-with roles. One of Bartram or Dunn to play this week.

Jetta: Shown a lot of promise in his three AFL games to date, unfortunately out to make way for Maric. Will still benefit greatly playing at VFL level, will get a lot more out of it at Casey at this stage then Maric probably would spending more time there.

Agree. Playing with Bartram sometimes feels like playing with 21 players. He does an ok shut-down role limiting the opposition player, but at the expense of his entire game. A good run-with player is an important part to a midfield, but they need to have an offensive game as well to not only shut-down their opponent, but keep there opponent honest as well with their own game ala Cameron Ling.

Maybe time to see what a Simon Buckley or a Rohan Bail could do in that role?

I don't think Buckley has the defensive capabilities to be a tagger. Bail I don't know enough about. They've tried Dunn in that role as well. Seems like we don't have anyone who can play a shut-down role and has decent skills.

I don't think Buckley has the defensive capabilities to be a tagger. Bail I don't know enough about. They've tried Dunn in that role as well. Seems like we don't have anyone who can play a shut-down role and has decent skills.

Decent skills - Neither does: -

Brady Rawlings

Steven Baker

Daniel Cross

Jarred Crouch

Flipside: -

Cameron Ling

Jordan Lewis

Josh Carr

Cameron Bruce

Decent skills - Neither does: -

Brady Rawlings

Steven Baker

Daniel Cross

Jarred Crouch

You have got to be kidding with that list..... Daniel Cross just won a B&F at the WBs!!!

Brady Rawlings (187 games) and has won a NM B&F

Steven Baker (157 games)

Daniel Cross (113 games)

Jarred Crouch (211 games)

You dont survive in AFL unless you have decent skills.

You have got to be kidding with that list..... Daniel Cross just won a B&F at the WBs!!!

Brady Rawlings (187 games) and has won a NM B&F

Steven Baker (157 games)

Daniel Cross (113 games)

Jarred Crouch (211 games)

You dont survive in AFL unless you have decent skills.

They are good contributors for they're respective teams, solid contributors. They are good players in they're own right, yes, some of them former B&F's. Although I wouldn't say they have the cleanest of skills. My response was with respect to titan's post regarding 'decent skills'.

My point? Players who have shut down roles and that have 'decent skills' are sometimes hard to come by. That's all.

PS. I know someone on d'land who would argue with your suggestion of Cam Bruce with respect to 'decent skills' and shut down roles. But I won't go there...hang on...oops! :P

How many games did James Manson play for Collingwood I wonder?

They are good contributors for they're respective teams, solid contributors. They are good players in they're own right, yes, some of them former B&F's. Although I wouldn't say they have the cleanest of skills. My response was with respect to titan's post regarding 'decent skills'.

My point? Players who have shut down roles and that have 'decent skills' are sometimes hard to come by. That's all.

Baker, Cross, Rawlings and Crouch would be examples of players who clearly do. :wacko:

Over their careers, they are the equal of Ling, Lewis and Carr. If anything Carr is the weakest link in the lot.

And to Titan's point, we dont have anyone of that calibre at the moment.

I agree 45. I would love Cross in the Red and Blue

Ok maybe Carr could join the list. Point taken. But I'd hang my hat on Ling or Lewis to kick me goals or set shots. Or even 3 or 4 goals a game. Certainly not Rawlings, Baker, Crouch. Definitely not Cross who is one of the worst kicks in the Bulldogs line up. :)

Ok maybe Carr could join the list. Point taken. But I'd hang my hat on Ling or Lewis to kick me goals or set shots. Or even 3 or 4 goals a game. Certainly not Rawlings, Baker, Crouch. Definitely not Cross who is one of the worst kicks in the Bulldogs line up. :)

Your measure it too limited....just kicking goals!!! They dont play the FP!

I hope your hat is not worth much because neither Lewis nor Ling are prolific goal scorers. Ling (185 games/101 goals) and Lewis (85 games/27 goals). So they would rarely look at 3 to 4 goals a game. Their value to the side is elsewhere.

The way all these players hurt oppositions is that they beat there direct opponent, win the contested ball often hard contested ball and use the ball by hand or foot to the best benefit of the team whereever they are on the ground.

Your measure it too limited....just kicking goals!!! They dont play the FP!

I hope your hat is not worth much because neither Lewis nor Ling are prolific goal scorers. Ling (185 games/101 goals) and Lewis (85 games/27 goals). So they would rarely look at 3 to 4 goals a game. Their value to the side is elsewhere.

The way all these players hurt oppositions is that they beat there direct opponent, win the contested ball often hard contested ball and use the ball by hand or foot to the best benefit of the team whereever they are on the ground.

RR....I should by shares in your exclamation marks...if I had a dollar for everytime you used one I would be a fair dinkum millionnaire.

It was an example of how the likes of Ling and Lewis can hurt the opposition or direct opponent the other way. Fwiw Ling is one of the most accurate kicks (and at goal) in the Geelong team. Lewis' kicks are great too (almost L.Hodge-esk like - but not quite).

PS. There was no need for the stats of their respective games/goals tally, but thanks for the research. Mind you, all I was stating - was I would 'back them' to kick me the 3 or 4 goals, whereas the others (Crouch & co.) would not. Of course their value to the side is elsewhere.

I'm not hanging my hat on goals alone. I'm talking general kicks around the ground too. These guys can hurt opposition with their kicking and hand-eye co-ordination alot more than the 'other' brigade (Crouch, Baker, Rawlings). Although Cross is pretty good with his hands, granted.

Look RR, I agree with your last sentence...

The way all these players hurt oppositions is that they beat there direct opponent, win the contested ball often hard contested ball and use the ball by hand or foot to the best benefit of the team whereever they are on the ground. - R.R

...so my point probably is in the end the likes of Lewis and Ling are more valuable IMO in that they can win the hardball, negate the opposition and hurt the opposition at the same time, more-so than their counterparts in Baker, Rawlings, Crouch & Cross.

Fwiw I would take any of them for our current team. But if there was a choice, I'd take Lewis or Ling if you had them lined up in the school yard.

Every game this year - we have struggled to find aforward option. If ever Newton is going to get a game surely it must be now. The one youngster who is fit and showing signs at Casey is Maric.

IN: Newton,Maric

OUT: Petterd, Sylvia

Petterd needs a run at Casey- starting at half back - to get his confidence back.I still haven't given up completely on Sylvia - but his form over the last two weeks hasn't been good enough to keep his place.

I can't believe peoiple want to drop PJ. He did have a shocker last week but he gives us several options ... and he's still running into form after an interrupted pre-season. He has played enough good footy in the last couple of years to be forgiven a poor game or two.You couldn't go into a game with Meeson and Spencer interchanging all day.

No reason to drop Jetta and this stage - and just let Bennell keep learning the game as he has been

If Junior's fit ..I'be looking to drop Bartram - who quite frankly hasn't got the skills to be part of the side in the long-term

Hoopla, give up on Slyvia -even Hutchy says that he is a goner at Melbourne. I know Colin is breaking your heart, let it go and let him play second/third tier football where he can get away with his poor attitude, OP and empty tank. At AFL level he can't get away with those things.