Future captain?

Along way to go before the development of Grimes and Watts come into place, so there could be a spot for them as captain as the grow older and wiser. Until then who do you think could possibly take the rains? There are the obvious and not so obvious choices of Rivers, Brock, Green, Bruce, Moloney, Miller... the fact remains we have a captain who's going strong, but may or may not be around in 2-4 years time... Opinions? It's a tough one as I don't think many players have put up their hands and proven they are captain material.

I love Brent's passion, and Millers slowly coming into his own. But both need to be consistent. Green was my favorite for captain at the end of last year, but possibly might not show leadership qualities off the field...

If James McDonald continues to play for 2-3 more years as captain and then retires- Brad Green will be 30 or 31 as well. Green would be my choice for captain, but if Green is into his thirties it might be better to have a younger captain, the likes of McLean, Jones or maybe PJ

How is it that people are already earmarking Watts and Grimes as captains?!!! And WHY?! Are we that desperate? They're 17 and 19 years old!!!

There are so many things that could go wrong between now and the time they mature. We don't even know if both players will still be at the club! Wouldn't it make more sense to talk about who's going to succeed McDonald? It bothers me how Grimes pops up with a half decent run in the NAB cup, and a few interviews where he seems to have his head screwed on straight, and everyone already is talking about him as a captain?

I would hope Brock makes himself the obvious choice to replace Macca in 2010 or 2011. If his body, form and off-field behaviour is at the level most of us hope it can be, then I can't see anyone else being close.

We mention Grimes as a future leader because that's the kind of persona he has. At such a young age and in only a few practice matches and some vfl matches last year he has shown maturity and guts and ability. You can tell when a player plays with a certain type of leadership quality. That doesn't mean to say the best player must be captain, just a person that would bleed for the club. He's yet to prove himself on the big stage but the small parts ive seen of him, he could well see himself in the leadership group if injuries and good form persists. Theres no reason why, as a bunch of supporters following a struggling team, can't look forward to the future.

The future captain of this Great Club should be someone who can be an inspiration on the field! Green can snare a few goals and do the odd special moment. But for me i would rather see Jarred Rivers or Brent Moloney become Captain. These types of players who will stand up for their team-mates and get the team going. Whether it be Rivers doing a trademark run with the flight, eye-on the ball mark or Moloney winning the ball in the middle and kicking a 50 metre goal. At the moment their are too many passengers Mclean is unfortunately been one so far, sure he has just come back for injury, but if he is suppose to be the future captain of this club, he has to do what is best for it. Get himself right so he can play the Football we all know he can!

McDonald wont play past this season, so we will need a new skipper for next year.

My top 3 choices

1 - Jared Rivers, dependent upon him playing a full season this year.

2 - Brad Green, who should have been skipper this year.

3 - Brock McLean, who is a natural leader but struggling for form at this moment in time.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
McDonald wont play past this season, so we will need a new skipper for next year.

My top 3 choices

1 - Jared Rivers, dependent upon him playing a full season this year.

2 - Brad Green, who should have been skipper this year.

3 - Brock McLean, who is a natural leader but struggling for form at this moment in time.

wat about sylvia, i forgot he will be delisted by seasons end, thats a weird prediction.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
Id love beamer to be captain, loves the club and gut toughnut and seems to be a role model off feild.
he mite be role model off the field, but he needs to get on it, otherwise couldnt agree more.

Beamer and Rivers need to have a injury free season and then they may seriously considered for captaincy in the comming years. Rivers may have the advantage by bein younger could be a captain for more years. However Beamers determination and on field talent shows that he also is a great leader. Cam Bruce is softer than a pillow and Green will be too old and for the greater good of the club, let a younger demon take the role. Hopefully Rivers gets it, a great Port Augusta boy:p!!

If James McDonald continues to play for 2-3 more years as captain and then retires- Brad Green will be 30 or 31 as well. Green would be my choice for captain, but if Green is into his thirties it might be better to have a younger captain, the likes of McLean, Jones or maybe PJ

Exactly how many beers did you slam down before this little gem dawned on you??? :P

Well I would like to see Nathan Jones have a strong season this year and get his name in to the mix. He has that hard edge in the middle of the park that can really inspire and lift. He needs to go to the next level though, and hopefully he can do that this season. Subjectively, I would love to see Cam Bruce as captain one day but this is most probably no longer realistic as he will be 30 in September. McLean has been the name thrown around since 2006 but he has a lot to prove this year. If he has a great season, he could well be getting the C next to his name next year or in 2011. Greeny has only just turned 28 so he still has to be very much in the mix.

And whoever said Paul Johnson, whatever you are on must be pretty strong stuff.

Beyond 2010-2011 it is too early to say. We have received a whole new batch of potential long-term first-team players in the last two years and it is too early to judge someone's suitability to leadership at age 17, 18 or 19. Any number of our current crop of youngsters could step up after their first 30 or 40 games, or someone like Watts or Grimes could come in and have an immediate impact, but it is too early to say. Watts turned 18 a couple of weeks ago. 18!!

Errr Aaron Davey! Where did you get J White from? Hahaha

See the thing about Jeff in '07 and '08 that people didn't realise was that when he would get rubbished for not doing the hard-running and just lumbering around the field and not putting in the effort he was actually in a full-blown sprint. He and Neita did the 100m in less than 20 seconds in '08, that's quite brisk.

We mention Grimes as a future leader because that's the kind of persona he has. At such a young age and in only a few practice matches and some vfl matches last year he has shown maturity and guts and ability. You can tell when a player plays with a certain type of leadership quality. That doesn't mean to say the best player must be captain, just a person that would bleed for the club. He's yet to prove himself on the big stage but the small parts ive seen of him, he could well see himself in the leadership group if injuries and good form persists. Theres no reason why, as a bunch of supporters following a struggling team, can't look forward to the future.

Going on your criteria for talking up a future captain, half the players on our list have what it takes to be a captain. Or at least did within their first 2 games, and with just over 12 months at the club. Jones, Petterd, Bate, Dunn, Brock, PJ, Spencer, Grimes, Morton, Moloney... In fact there are precious few who actually DIDN'T show what it takes to become a captain. Most of them have been delisted, or are Sylvia. :)

At the start of this thread it was mentioned that Watts and Grimes would make good captains, and that we should think about someone in the meantime. That's an absurd idea.

I'm all for a bit of generous hype and positivity, as I hate the negativity over at 'ology grandma's club, but jeez, there has to be a limit.

Two words: The Flash.

I'm stunned he's not in the leadership group. I'm all for him being a VC, and being the one to beat as skipper of the club. My only question mark there is the same one we've been harping on about since his debut. He's not got the physical presence required to make a dent in finals... and I'm one of those people that think a skipper has to be a figurehead, taking on the physicality of the game, as that's an area a team needs to have an example set. No disrespect to Aaron, but he's just not that kind of player. The issue with him being appointed would be that many would claim it's something to do with his heritage. Many would celebrate it, and rightly so, but then many would also criticise it. And that would be a shame.

all in all. we are still a fair way off. skills werent at a high and our forward line is poo.

QFT

Spelling error, but that doesn't make it any less apt.

By the way chooky, it is 'poos' not poo; which nugget adequately descibed our forward line as..

I'm stunned he's not in the leadership group. I'm all for him being a VC, and being the one to beat as skipper of the club.

I'm surpised people would put Aaron Davey and Captain in the same sentence. I'm still iffy on Aaron being in the leadership group.

Flashes in and out of games and isn't exactly a "follow me, I'll lead you there" kind. Kitchen gets too hot for Davey.

I like Brent Moloney and Jared Rivers as leaders but its still Brock for me.

Brock has had a slow start but I'm pretty sure this time last year people were bagging Brock and how Nath Jones had passed him by a country mile. Brock will be fine.