The count down is on!

Jarka

.....All we have are young players and the maturation of those young player will take time. We still need to add some talent to the list to supplement what we have. How else do you build a success team unless you have quality draft picks??? Its not a safety net its reality.

I agree with much of what you have said, but I think we may well sacrifice the talent of the young players we have now, if we allow the malaise of spirit and lack of soul to continue unchecked.

Please understand, I accept the need to rebuild, but to my way of thinking, there is a gaping hole in the very fabric of the club, which spills out onto the field and that is what is worrying me.

We need to find it and we need to make sure we have people in the background who are certain to instill it. I just hope we have, but I am yet to see it.

It is my bet, a lot of supporters will not hang tough, if we continue to get flogged week after week. People won't stay, on some hope that top draft picks will ultimately deliver salvation.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my bet, a lot of supporters will not hang tough, if we continue to get flogged week after week. People won't stay, on some hope that top draft picks will ultimately deliver salvation.

We need to hang tough this year and "Stick fat". There is already improvement. There is progress. I don't think we'll get flogged as much as in 2008. We'll be competitive. You may see us struggle for the next few weeks as players start to return from injury.

Supporters of the club, I believe are not that stupid Iva. They can see progress, excitement. They look forward to the likes of Blease, Strauss and Watts taking the field for the first time.

I think you are definitely under-estimating the Melbourne supporters, who are loyal, despite the criticism on these forums. What is written on these threads are pieces venting their frustrations, people who only want what is best for the club - to see them succeed. They will stick with the club.

HT, I hope you are right.

Having supported the club for over 40 years, I have seen the very bad and very good, without seeing the ultimate prize.

However, we operate in different times, both in a business and marketing sense. Don't get me wrong, I love this club and I am excited at the prospect of seeing Watts, Blease, Grimes, Morton, Strauss and others lead us back up the ladder. I am just worried about the damage that might be done to these kids, without the fabric of the club being what it should be. They deserve better than that.

The Club, as an entity, needs to demonstrate, not only to us loyal supporters, but to the entire football public, that we are, indeed, bringing back the Demon.

Guest petjud
We need to hang tough this year and "Stick fat". There is already improvement. There is progress. I don't think we'll get flogged as much as in 2008. We'll be competitive. You may see us struggle for the next few weeks as players start to return from injury.

Supporters of the club, I believe are not that stupid Iva. They can see progress, excitement. They look forward to the likes of Blease, Strauss and Watts taking the field for the first time.

I think you are definitely under-estimating the Melbourne supporters, who are loyal, despite the criticism on these forums. What is written on these threads are pieces venting their frustrations, people who only want what is best for the club - to see them succeed. They will stick with the club.

Well said, myself and my partner only started being 'supporters' last year, in fact my partner had never even watched a full game until last year. We wanted a team to support and we picked Melbourne, people thought we were mad, but part of the reason was I could see the future was going to be good.....but it will take time.....also I liked DB, he has the attitude 'we are Melbourne, who are you".....and you can see that attitude rubbing off on the younger players.....Cheney and Frawley have it and so does Warnock they take no crap from opposition players..it is a bit harded to instill the older players.

Yes I was disappointed by last week's game, but apart from Sylvia who again failed to live up to the hype at least all the other players had a crack......and it bodes well for the future...some people had a go at Jetta after the game, but he 19yrs old, small and brand new to the pace of AFL, but he gets in there, and will benefit from the experience. And the number of young players we haven't even seen yet........I can't wait to see Jurrah and Watts playing up front together...

I am enjoying the ride so much already we have taken in the Intraclub game , a Nab Cup and 2 practice games couldn't get to Cairns....and we are off the Adelaide this weekend..already got plans to go to Canberra as well.

By the way my partner is so into it now she can name every player, recognise them, reads the Record from cover to cover...and gets absolutely disgusted at umpiring decisions.

Sit back and enjoy, this year is going to be really interesting...and as for next year...

HT, I hope you are right.

Having supported the club for over 40 years, I have seen the very bad and very good, without seeing the ultimate prize.

However, we operate in different times, both in a business and marketing sense. Don't get me wrong, I love this club and I am excited at the prospect of seeing Watts, Blease, Grimes, Morton, Strauss and others lead us back up the ladder. I am just worried about the damage that might be done to these kids, without the fabric of the club being what it should be. They deserve better than that.

The Club, as an entity, needs to demonstrate, not only to us loyal supporters, but to the entire football public, that we are, indeed, bringing back the Demon.

You're right here. Auskick clinics - children participating need to be made aware the Melbournefc is a more than competitive club. Sustained period of winning culture will improve this. Hopefully we'll see alot more of the red & blue around clinics when the team & club turns around.

Well said, myself and my partner only started being 'supporters' last year, in fact my partner had never even watched a full game until last year. We wanted a team to support and we picked Melbourne, people thought we were mad, but part of the reason was I could see the future was going to be good.....but it will take time.....also I liked DB, he has the attitude 'we are Melbourne, who are you".....and you can see that attitude rubbing off on the younger players.....Cheney and Frawley have it and so does Warnock they take no crap from opposition players..it is a bit harded to instill the older players.

Yes I was disappointed by last week's game, but apart from Sylvia who again failed to live up to the hype at least all the other players had a crack......and it bodes well for the future...some people had a go at Jetta after the game, but he 19yrs old, small and brand new to the pace of AFL, but he gets in there, and will benefit from the experience. And the number of young players we haven't even seen yet........I can't wait to see Jurrah and Watts playing up front together...

I am enjoying the ride so much already we have taken in the Intraclub game , a Nab Cup and 2 practice games couldn't get to Cairns....and we are off the Adelaide this weekend..already got plans to go to Canberra as well.

By the way my partner is so into it now she can name every player, recognise them, reads the Record from cover to cover...and gets absolutely disgusted at umpiring decisions.

Sit back and enjoy, this year is going to be really interesting...and as for next year...

That's great petjud. I'm sure you and your partner will enjoy the resurgence. It will be exciting next year.

That's great petjud. I'm sure you and your partner will enjoy the resurgence. It will be exciting next year.

And for new supporters you certainly know your footy team Peter and Judy.

I agree with much of what you have said, but I think we may well sacrifice the talent of the young players we have now, if we allow the malaise of spirit and lack of soul to continue unchecked.

Whats the alternative Iva?? Our senior players are few and are generally MOR or not up to it or injured. We have appointed development coaches to support them. And we need to support them the best way we can on and off the field.

Please understand, I accept the need to rebuild, but to my way of thinking, there is a gaping hole in the very fabric of the club, which spills out onto the field and that is what is worrying me.

Could not agree more Iva. However that gaping hole was both financial, football department, facilities, membership and playing list. The current administration has done some very good things to date to address many of those issues (You would agree). Some of the solutions take more time than others. FWIW, I think we as a Club are in better shape than we were 2,5 and 10 years ago. But much more needs to be done.

We need to find it and we need to make sure we have people in the background who are certain to instill it. I just hope we have, but I am yet to see it.

I think MFC are more rigorous in this process than they have. Hell Iva I feel more assured than you especially as you have been flying the flag for the current board.

So be it. Again, what's the alternative to the situation? Would you say the same about Carlton and Hawthorn four or five years ago?? Each with record memberships now!

...and gets absolutely disgusted at umpiring decisions.

I know how you both feel about that!!!

Great post and food for thought for many.

Whats the alternative Iva?? Our senior players are few and are generally MOR or not up to it or injured. We have appointed development coaches to support them. And we need to support them the best way we can on and off the field.

Could not agree more Iva. However that gaping hole was both financial, football department, facilities, membership and playing list. The current administration has done some very good things to date to address many of those issues (You would agree). Some of the solutions take more time than others. FWIW, I think we as a Club are in better shape than we were 2,5 and 10 years ago. But much more needs to be done.

I think MFC are more rigorous in this process than they have. Hell Iva I feel more assured than you especially as you have been flying the flag for the current board.

So be it. Again, what's the alternative to the situation? Would you say the same about Carlton and Hawthorn four or five years ago?? Each with record memberships now!

RR,

You're right, I do fly the flag for the current Board and their initiatives in terms of sponsors and attempting to shore up our financial position have been great. BUt I am talking about something that is far more intangible than that and that is the spirit of the footy club.

There is one thing that is more contagious than confidence in a footy club and that is the lack of it. Again, I have no question about the need to re-build the list. However, mine is an observation and that is all. Regardless of how we rate their skill level, we still have enough "senior" players, who, themselves, need to fly the flag more. Sorry for the cliche, but the one percenters are just not there at present.

In terms of Hawthorn and Carlton??? Since the 1996 merger debacle, Hawthorn have regularly attained over 30,000 members, even in their lean on field years. Carlton (who I think everyone on here would agree) have manipulated the system terribly, but as low as they got, the club itself was always viewed as strong at its core and again, its membership was always at the higher end for Victorian Clubs. As bad as they were, they had a core group of players, around which the gun recruits could be moulded and supported.

RR, it is the spirit of the Demon I want back, that's all. The kids will be great, but I want them to understand we are proud and at our heart, we are strong.

I think many are just missing the point about all this. Its not like we are really in any position to go out and win 12 games.. or 8..even 6.. even if we try our darndest !! we will in all likely hood stumble and stutter for a while until a few kids get a bit more with it and feel at home out there. We will slowly become more competent and pressure the scoreboard..even winning a few games. and that IS with trying !!

Its not about throwing games to get a better pick/s,, its about realising we just arent there yet ..and will struggle

RR, it is the spirit of the Demon I want back, that's all. The kids will be great, but I want them to understand we are proud and at our heart, we are strong.

I think its there. It needs to be support. I see that spirit in the Mortons, Garlands, Grimes and the Martins. I would like to see that in the Watts, Blease and Strauss.

I think Stynes and co have done a good job seeking to address it. It takes time but the seeds are there IMO.

Regardless of how we rate their skill level, we still have enough "senior" players, who, themselves, need to fly the flag more. Sorry for the cliche, but the one percenters are just not there at present.

They're there. It's just not there for the 4 quarters. Whatever, the output needs to be there consistently for the duration of the game. At the moment that hasn't occurred for sometime.

Regardless of how we rate their skill level, we still have enough "senior" players, who, themselves, need to fly the flag more. Sorry for the cliche, but the one percenters are just not there at present.

The fact we dont have the quantity or the quality of senior player. We have group of six players that are 30 or thereabouts we then have the next oldest around 25/26 yo.

Like I said before they are at best MOR but many are no longer up to it.

To give them credit, Junior and Green are busting their boiler to improve. They are just not good enough.

In terms of Hawthorn and Carlton??? Since the 1996 merger debacle, Hawthorn have regularly attained over 30,000 members, even in their lean on field years. Carlton (who I think everyone on here would agree) have manipulated the system terribly, but as low as they got, the club itself was always viewed as strong at its core and again, its membership was always at the higher end for Victorian Clubs. As bad as they were, they had a core group of players, around which the gun recruits could be moulded and supported.

Hawthorn are looking at a membership of 45,000+ this year. They have huge sponsorship which they did not have some years.

Regardless of what you have think Carlton have done they have swung things around over a number of years. They were terrible up to 2 years ago.

At their darkest days, neither Hawthorn nor Carlton had a core group of players to rely on. Both have turned over their lists dramatically. However, I think MFC lowest position was worse than Hawthorn's and probably equivalent to Carlton's lowest point.

Since the 1996 merger debacle, Hawthorn have regularly attained over 30,000 members, even in their lean on field years.

Hawthorn are looking at a membership of 45,000+ this year. They have huge sponsorship which they did not have some years.

How many members will they loose if/when a Tassie side comes into the comp? 10,000/15,000?

I hope at least as many to wipe the smug of the president and supporters faces.

How many members will they loose if/when a Tassie side comes into the comp? 10,000/15,000?

I hope at least as many to wipe the smug of the president and supporters faces.

They have approx. 7,000 Tas based members.

A team in Tassie is at least 5 years away so Hawks will have good time to try and hold the numbers.

The loss of the huge sponsorship money of approx $3.2 million per year would hurt them more. Its money for old rope for the Hawks.

RR,

You're right, I do fly the flag for the current Board and their initiatives in terms of sponsors and attempting to shore up our financial position have been great. BUt I am talking about something that is far more intangible than that and that is the spirit of the footy club.

There is one thing that is more contagious than confidence in a footy club and that is the lack of it. Again, I have no question about the need to re-build the list. However, mine is an observation and that is all. Regardless of how we rate their skill level, we still have enough "senior" players, who, themselves, need to fly the flag more. Sorry for the cliche, but the one percenters are just not there at present.

I agree 1996 really showed where this club was & to some degree is. Hawthorn & Melbourne went in almost opposite directions. Tiger Ridley knew we were in trouble. The Band aids were not going to last. To me it looks like they lasted until the end of 2006. I am eternally grateful we did not merge but it is only now ramifications are being repaired. But yes we need to find that old demon spirit back. I hope Todd Viney returns while Jim is the Prez.

He is the type this club would benefit from.

They have approx. 7,000 Tas based members.

A team in Tassie is at least 5 years away so Hawks will have good time to try and hold the numbers.

The loss of the huge sponsorship money of approx $3.2 million per year would hurt them more. Its money for old rope for the Hawks.

I know it is a long way off but gee wizz I hope it does go ahead.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER

the hawks have done well, tasmania government might not want to put there hands in there pockets if they cant have there own club, i think there sponsorship was a private agenda, they wanted to prove to the AFL they could maintain a team, kennets idea of fools gold, could haunt him in a decades time, but it was the rite move for the hawthorn.

the hawks have done well, tasmania government might not want to put there hands in there pockets if they cant have there own club, i think there sponsorship was a private agenda, they wanted to prove to the AFL they could maintain a team, kennets idea of fools gold, could haunt him in a decades time, but it was the rite move for the hawthorn.

In 10 years time it will be very intersting to see where all the victorian clubs are. I predict many changes as the new Broadcast rights have been touted as a $1 Billion. So you can imagine all involved will want top Bang for a $. The weak clubs will be in the shadows i have no doubt and it will be harder to improve Greatly if a club is in trouble. As David Bowie sang years ago "we've got 5 years" to get this club Rocking.