The season ahead

Jarka

Honestly i don't mind if we only win 5 games, aslong as we don't get smashed. I will give melbourne one more year to build a team that works together on all levels, before i start to pick apart players and feed them to the hounds ( this is our right as fans )

I would think we will still be bottom 3, but once again i don't mind.

I would like to see 3 to 5 games were Bailey's plans are played for 4 quarters, not a half or 3 quarters. Our bad was the worst last year and as we have seen already in the hawks NAB match, we played well for 3 quarters only to be rolled in 1. This is most likely because of the youth of this side though.

Yesterday ( doggies practice match ) i saw a decent game from the backs, a good game from the mids, but no one to kick to in the forward, this will be our main problem this year as we already know.

Will robbo come good again? Will Newton play for the team? Can the players be taught how to crum the packs and know the positions to be in?

go dees

Three to four wins is fine with me for this season as the draft picks are still very important for our future......

Personally though it comes down to competitiveness and attitude, both of which were severely lacking for many matches last year.

Improvement to come, skills etc are important, but I can handle the losses as long as I see them at least pushing for the win.

This didn't happen too regularly last year and we were blown off the ground on way too many occasions. This needs to stop, we need to be "competitive".

We should be able to see improvement no matter how many wins they put on the board.

Considering out lack of options up forward, I think the fitness of Russell Robertson is also important. I didn't have him in my best 22 a few weeks ago, but now I believe we need him planted at full forward to give us a target, and someone who can kick a bag.

I agree. It's pretty clear that we haven't got anyone in the team at the moment who is capable of kicking goals week in, week out. Robertson can.

Having said that, he isn't going to be around for the first 6 weeks at least, so we need to see if Bate, Miller or Newton are capable of providing a focal point. I don't think any of them are.

I'll probably get done for this comment, but I want two first-round priority picks.

This is our last chance in a long long time to take full advantage of the draft system, and therefore we should.

Of course I don't want to get these draft picks by deliberately losing games, and I definitely don't want us to get smashed week in week out.

In an ideal world, we'll be competitive in most games (yes, the word competitive is back), beat Collingwood twice and Carlton too, but still qualify for picks 1 & 2 (or 1 & 3).

We are not going to win a flag this year, or even get close to making the finals. And if you're not first, you are better off coming last.

One more year of pain could pay up big for the next 10 years.

However above all else, what I want to see this year is Buckley finally learning how to use his tricks for good instead of evil, for McLean and Rivers to remain injury free, for Jones to improve his disposal, for Bell to establish himself as a midfielder, for us to establish a semi-useful forwardline and for our backline to establish itself as the best up-and-coming defence in the game.

Oh and did I mention that I want to hear the roar of the crowd when one Jack Watts steps onto the field for the first time... ;)

I'll probably get done for this comment, but I want two first-round priority picks.

This is our last chance in a long long time to take full advantage of the draft system, and therefore we should.

Of course I don't want to get these draft picks by deliberately losing games, and I definitely don't want us to get smashed week in week out.

In an ideal world, we'll be competitive in most games (yes, the word competitive is back), beat Collingwood twice and Carlton too, but still qualify for picks 1 & 2 (or 1 & 3).

We are not going to win a flag this year, or even get close to making the finals. And if you're not first, you are better off coming last.

However above all else, what I want to see this year is Buckley finally learning how to use his tricks for good instead of evil, for McLean and Rivers to remain injury free, for Jones to improve his disposal, for Bell to establish himself as a midfielder, for us to establish a semi-useful forwardline and for our backline to establish itself as the best up-and-coming defence in the game.

Oh and did I mention that I want to hear the roar of the crowd when one Jack Watts steps onto the field for the first time... ;)

You make some very good points Jaded. No you won`t get ``done`` for wanting 2x 1st round picks because the majority feel the same way but just don`t want to say it out loud. The other point about Bell is spot on. He is a midfielder waiting to happen and sadly he is not good enough to be in our best 7 or 8 defenders. I think his attack on the footy is as good as any on our list with only Wheels and Jmac ahead of him. He could be a revealation in the midfield where he can rely on his hardness, good quick hands, and not so much on his kicking skills which we know can be dodgy at times. I have been super impressed with what I saw of him at Visy park and from reports from other Nab challenge matches. Gee the boy is injury prone though, I would like to see him get a good run this year without injuries.

Nothing wrong with wanting the best, is there any chance of us getting picks 1 and 2 and win the flag?? also without losing players in trades? lol

Seeing our kids take some more steps forward is what we need. Last season was great seeing the future of the backline emerge. Seeing a few more midfielders and some forwards develop gives us something to look forward to.

If we lose I can deal with it, as long as we don not get smacked by 80 odd points every odd week. A dignified loss would help us gain some more respect, and would indicate we could steal the odd win should a team underestimate us.

On field, I'd like to see a few things:

1. Our young defence get more game time and continue their improvement. Wheels to retire at season's end. Thanks for everything, you're a favourite but not fit enough for long enough. BTW, please teach the poleaxing tackle to Cheney.

2. Our kids to get game time - that means you Petterd, Wonna, Grimes, Maric, Bennell, Morton, Strauss, Bail. Now, you'll be replacing Bartrum, Dunn and Sylvia in the main, as well as others as the usual injuries hit. Our midfield is gagging for ball users with vision and a bit of poise. Show that and you are in, baby.

3. Our forwards to begin to blossom. Crumbers in wonna and maric, bate from the goal square, jurrah in a pocket and MIller doing grunt CHF work. This willtake until round 11 or beyond to get everyone fit and there, but that group will give opposition team kittens.

I think a ladder position of 14-12th would be good and realisitic, but like Jaded, I would not be disappointed with 4.5 wins and no 80+ point losses.

How do we have to end up to get pics 1 and 2 or and 3?

I think if we ever get that premiership making sure we develope proply by getting as many draft pics.

Cus ir eally dont wana start to get good from hear hit about the 4th or 5th best team in 4 years and drop back down.

Keyword -- IMPROVEMENT

Bate to establish himself up forward

Maric to come into the side and play out the season, showing us all his tricks

One of Wheatley or Whelan to call it a day at season's end (probably Wheatley)

Rivers and McLean to play out the season

For us to win the games we deserve to win.

I couldn't give a pass mark for 4 wins. It's only 1 more than we managed last year and we were atrocious. If we're in games and not getting hammered we should be able to manage 6-8 wins and a % above at least 80. Bails will need at least that much improvement to gain a tick in the eyes of the media and general footy public.

/quote]

Agree entirely. Our percentage will be a truer reflection of our season than wins/losses. Anything below 70% and it's au revoir Bailey.

Our percentage will be a truer reflection of our season than wins/losses.

I agree (unsurprisingly, since I've been saying this for months). I expect a much more competitive side but I'm not sure we'll necessarily see many more wins.

Our forward line is a massive problem - not just our personnel but also the structure (or lack thereof, particularly after we win the ball from the opposition).

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I want us to play out 4/4 in every game and if we do get ragdolled let it be by a far superior team.

I want those players like Rivers, Pettard, Molony etc to have the football gods look kindly on them.

I want to see the names of the younger players in the best players each week.

I want Morton to go from a very good player into the elite level.

and

I want to wipe the floor with Colling@#$%.

Improvement in all things.

Somebody had a go at Bailey for saying that we needed to be competetive for longer, but he was just telling it like it is. Winning is nice; being competetive for four quarters is better.

I do not want to be sitting there at half-time wondering why I have never left a game before the final siren.

I want to go into next season with hope in players already in the team rather than players who are yet to play, Grimes not withstanding.

- better skills. our atrocious skills last year were a hallmark of our game. must be fixed. otherwise no matter what gameplan we have we'll be awful.

- hopefully the occurance of a multiple speed team. too often we were found to be one paced. need guys who have speed to be able to get into positions to use it. even crap forward lines might be able to conjure some goals if the ball is delivered to them one out.

- a very solid backline. i dont care if the majority of our games are 12-14 goal games. i want to be in the top 8 for least amounts of points scored. build from the back like geelong.

- players from the 2002 - 2005 drafts to step up. sylvia, bell, jones, dunn, frawley, bate etc etc. these guys will determine if we improve at all. not bruce, green, wheatley.

- a viable ruck duo. preferably one to step up to the number one slot so PJ can rotate forward.

- no blowouts.

- cale morton and colin garland. these are the two i'm hoping will emerge as future stars of the game.

we do/get all of that and we'll win 5-9 games and things will look as though they are slowly improving.