Cheney - Frawley - Martin

Rivers - Warnock - Garland

Sylvia - Moloney - Davey

Green - Miller - Bate

Jetta - Zomer - Maric

PJ - Mclean - Bruce

Spencer/Petterd/Grimes/Newton/Valenti/Buckley

Morton,Dunn

Im not sure I would have all of Frawley, Martin, Warnock, Rivers and Garland in the same back line. I agree they all deserve a game but I just dont think it would be an ieal set up. I would have only one of Frawley/Warnock/Martin. Dam tough choice.

I was just thinking, maybe we could play Moloney up forward. We lack fire power down there and Moloney can take a grab. Good kick as well.

Take a grab?

I cant really see him on a long searching lead taking a mark or beating a defender in a one on one in the forward line.

I believe Martin would be a better option if we didnt have room for him in defence. At least he can compete in the air.

I believe Martin would be a better option if we didnt have room for him in defence. At least he can compete in the air.

I'd agree, I saw a few games a few years back at Sandy where he was pi$$ing Sautner off to no end as he kept taking everything in the air, and was suprised when he was drafted being talked about as a backman.

If ever there was a game for seeing where our new recruits are at this is the game.

I'd best resting many of the senior players like Whelan, McDonald and Bruce and playing people like Bennell, Jetta, Bail and Blease before I would consider Valenti. If fit I would also play Moloney.

Watts and Jurrah may be still underdone at this point but they would come under consideration.

I would also consider platying Newton and Sylvia but with stern coach's warnings that they are playing for their careers over the coming weeks.

Grimes - Moloney - Davey

Morton - Miller - Bate

Jetta - Zomer - Maric

Spencer - Mclean - Strauss

PJ/Petterd/Blease/Newton/Dunn/Buckley/Sylvia

If ever there was a game for seeing where our new recruits are at this is the game.

I'd best resting many of the senior players like Whelan, McDonald and Bruce and playing people like Bennell, Jetta, Bail and Blease before I would consider Valenti. If fit I would also play Moloney.

Watts and Jurrah may be still underdone at this point but they would come under consideration.

I would also consider platying Newton and Sylvia but with stern coach's warnings that they are playing for their careers over the coming weeks.

Grimes - Moloney - Davey

Morton - Miller - Bate

Jetta - Zomer - Maric

Spencer - Mclean - Strauss

PJ/Petterd/Blease/Newton/Dunn/Buckley/Sylvia

I'm with you RR. No need to play the older players. I'd like to see Zomer, Valenti, Strauss, Maric and Jetta. Blease, Watts and Jurrah I don't think will be ready to play (judging by what's been said here and by the coaches). If Moloney's fit he definitely should play: he needs the practise. And Sylvia and Newton should be told that their performances over the next three weeks will go a long way to deciding whether they play Round 1 and beyond.

As much as I am frustrated by Newton, he needs a run of games to show if he has anything. Up until now players have been given opportunities when they deserve them, an approach I agree with, but maybe he just needs a run of games to give him an opportunity to find his way.

Just a thought.

As much as I am frustrated by Newton, he needs a run of games to show if he has anything. Up until now players have been given opportunities when they deserve them, an approach I agree with, but maybe he just needs a run of games to give him an opportunity to find his way.

Just a thought.

They gave him an opportunity last year and he showed nothing, yet they signed him for another 2 years, Im baffled.

I've never been a fan of him, and don't think I ever will, he doesn't seem to try once he has lost the ball, and he is seemingly lost out on the field.

I watched him closely in the intra club match and he was killed by Garland (in the air and body on body) which says a lot as both were probably at the same spot in the careers (in terms of time to shine) and Garland took the step up, while Newton, well, we know whats gone on there.

This is the week you play the younger players and give senior players the week off. Then for the next 2 weeks you play as many of the likley Round 1 team as possible. My time this week

Cheney Warnock Garland

Buckley Frawley Petterd

Bail Bell Morton

Sylvia Dunn Strauss

Jetta Bate Zomer

Spencer Moloney Valenti

Bennell Grimes Meesen Jones Miller Martin

Out Mclean, Bruce, Green, Davey, Aussie, Whelan, Johnson

This week is not about winning we need to continue to develop our list and we need these younger players to step up and put pressure for spots in our starting 22.

While we have started the year well, one thing I have found a little frustrating is nothing new in terms of roles for the players so far. The first NAB game was important so we had to play our A game with the A list. But now that potential tv exposure is behind us IMHO its time to look at Martin/Garland/Green who have played majority of time in the backline, maybe give martin a run even in the ruck. Good to see pettard/grimes in the thick of it though, but back to the forward line, especially now that wonna is injured, now is the time to start trying a few plan b's.

If miller and bate struggle at any time were in big trouble ATM. Also I like the idea of pushing one of our tall backs forward to capatalise any time we are playing well like the 1st or 3rdQ on Sat or to change things up a little. Either Dunn/Bruce/Green as a deep forward? We have a good base to build our backline. I think the blue print for the middle is starting to take shape but I am struggling to see the short term direction of our forward line outside of bate and miller as marking options. Even messen could be worth a try with his reported pace?

Zomer showed a bit in the intra club but will not play rd 1 as is a rookie. Newton's current development is well documented so hopefully on Sat we can see a few new things tried. This is assuming the club will continue with the rd 3 commitment of not playing during development/conditioning of watts and jurrah.

Just a thought.

I am obviously not suggesting it, but I would love to see Newton spend a day in defence on a top AFL forward to learn how a forward at that level operates and also to lift his work rate and accountability. Newton comes across to me as the type of player that you just can't teach. Maybe putting him in the deep end would be the only way for it to sink in. Stuffing around with our defence in this way is not even a remote option (I speak theoretically) but it would be good from a kick up the bum approach and give him some genuine insight as to how hard a good forward goes about it.

Back OT I agree with drdrake, we need to play as many youngsters as possible this week with at least a couple of senior players for guidance.

no surprises there.... why is it we can't keep 2 of our most important players (whelan and rivers) on the field for long periods of time???

Very very frustrating

He's training & also riding the bike, just a niggle I'd suggest, so he'll be right soon. too soon for a bloke with an battle scard body to enter the seson I'd have thought, if he wants to see the season out.

He's training & also riding the bike, just a niggle I'd suggest, so he'll be right soon. too soon for a bloke with an battle scard body to enter the seson I'd have thought, if he wants to see the season out.

I agree, now we are out of the NAB cup play the kids that can win a spot for rd 1. Jetta and Bennel will be interesting to watch over the coming weeks.

I agree, now we are out of the NAB cup play the kids that can win a spot for rd 1. Jetta and Bennel will be interesting to watch over the coming weeks.

I was just writing to explain my context when my freinds computer spat it & i lost the typed post.

I too would rather sacrifice wins for playing the kids, but I don't think thats the clubs tack this season. So I was trying to preempt their selection.

Guest hangon007
I am obviously not suggesting it, but I would love to see Newton spend a day in defence on a top AFL forward to learn how a forward at that level operates and also to lift his work rate and accountability. Newton comes across to me as the type of player that you just can't teach. Maybe putting him in the deep end would be the only way for it to sink in. Stuffing around with our defence in this way is not even a remote option (I speak theoretically) but it would be good from a kick up the bum approach and give him some genuine insight as to how hard a good forward goes about it.

I too would like to see this as an experiment. Playing players out of "position" as a learning experience. What do we have to loose ... nothing!

I would also like to see more game time for Grimes, Cheney, Spencer, Valenti, Zoomer etc

I would like to see our "older" players managed to ensure a round 1 start. ie Bruce, Green, Whelan etc

Also maybe give Maloney and Rivers very limited roles, out of "position"

Guest hangon007
Rivers at CHF?

Yip ... Rivers in the forward line for 5-10 minutes a quarter changing with Zoomer. Maybe more a forward pocket to ease him back in for the first couple of weeks.

Once his confidence & fitness get back to near 100% then he can resume his normal role.

IMHO a fit confident Rivers is a massive plus for us.

Here is my team

Cheney Warnock Garland

Pettard Frawley Buckley

Bell McLean © Newton

Sylvia Bate Jones

Rivers Miller Jetta

Rucks Spencer - Messan

Ruck-rover - Grimes

Rover - Valenti

Interchange - Zoomer, Maloney, Dunn, Martin

Then the following weeks we rotate players on a management basis.