Move Melb v Hawks to aid Bushfire Appeal

Redleg

The AFL has moved the Bombers v Dogs game from Darwin to Telstra Dome to aid the bushfire appeal. I suggest they should move the Demons v Hawks game as well and give all proceeds to the appeal.

More Demons and Hawks fans will attend the game and spend money and donate directly if the game is in melbourne. With more food and drink and admissions tickets sold more money would be raised for the appeal. If the same was done in tasmania it would only be a small crowd with far less chance of raising money. Imagine 20000 people giving an extra $10.00 each that would be $200000.00 for a start. If there were 30000 then much more.

Come on AFL do the right thing for the people of country victoria who have suffered so much in the last few days, move the game to Telstra Dome and donate all takings including food and drink and the cheer squads can collect donations.

I was agreeing with you for a second there, but unfortunately Geelong is playing Adelaide there in the evening. A nice idea but not going to happen.

And i couldn't agree with you more, angryfijian, those guys are heroes and every one of them deserves to be applauded.

The AFL has moved the Bombers v Dogs game from Darwin to Telstra Dome to aid the bushfire appeal. I suggest they should move the Demons v Hawks game as well and give all proceeds to the appeal.

More Demons and Hawks fans will attend the game and spend money and donate directly if the game is in melbourne. With more food and drink and admissions tickets sold more money would be raised for the appeal. If the same was done in tasmania it would only be a small crowd with far less chance of raising money. Imagine 20000 people giving an extra $10.00 each that would be $200000.00 for a start. If there were 30000 then much more.

Come on AFL do the right thing for the people of country victoria who have suffered so much in the last few days, move the game to Telstra Dome and donate all takings including food and drink and the cheer squads can collect donations.

Good idea, But i wonder if the AFL know when melbourne is actually playing? I would be suprised. I have realized they don't care if we don't have a sponsor & have done nothing to help our situation that i have heard about. We really are on our own.

When I went to purchse tickets, I was told the game is close to a sellout already ... there's nothing wrong with the AFL throwing all procedes for this game to the bushfire victims as well ?? Tassie supportes don't mind filling the collection tins either :)

I think the AFL may even dedicate a round of football during the year as Bushfire/ Natural Disaster Support/relief round where the following might happen:

1. Bushfire fire fighters and volunteers are given free admittance to the ground in Victoria and Sydney and Brisbane (for the Ingham floods ) who are then paraded around the ground at half time to the applause and high fiving of the crowd as they walk around the MCG. (I would like to involve a Melb home game so we get lots of positive publicity and fill up empty seats with volunteers).

2. Allow collectors for Bushfire relief to collect donations.

3. A minute silence and tribute to those who have fallen.

From a MFC football club perspective, if they are keen to open Casey up to new supporters and community effort, I would be planning at the appropriate time a number of training clinics and support efforts particularly in Gippsland and especially where schools have been lost and damaged. Given the scale of devastation in some areas, such relief and support efforts should be co ordinated with the appropriate authorities. However it would be a marvellous opportunity for MFC to work with its sponsors to provide the community with whatever assistance it can.

Surely it would be a win for the community and would improve and lift the profile of MFC. Given Jim Stynes is involved already with the Reach Foundation we should be well positioned to be able to give support where we can.

Guest hangon007
I think the AFL may even dedicate a round of football during the year as Bushfire/ Natural Disaster Support/relief round where the following might happen:

1. Bushfire fire fighters and volunteers are given free admittance to the ground in Victoria and Sydney and Brisbane (for the Ingham floods ) who are then paraded around the ground at half time to the applause and high fiving of the crowd as they walk around the MCG. (I would like to involve a Melb home game so we get lots of positive publicity and fill up empty seats with volunteers).

2. Allow collectors for Bushfire relief to collect donations.

3. A minute silence and tribute to those who have fallen.

From a MFC football club perspective, if they are keen to open Casey up to new supporters and community effort, I would be planning at the appropriate time a number of training clinics and support efforts particularly in Gippsland and especially where schools have been lost and damaged. Given the scale of devastation in some areas, such relief and support efforts should be co ordinated with the appropriate authorities. However it would be a marvellous opportunity for MFC to work with its sponsors to provide the community with whatever assistance it can.

Surely it would be a win for the community and would improve and lift the profile of MFC. Given Jim Stynes is involved already with the Reach Foundation we should be well positioned to be able to give support where we can.

Very nice idea ... well said. You would have 100% of my support.

Very nice idea ... well said. You would have 100% of my support.

What happes to the airfares, accomodation etc that people purchased for the Essendon Doggies game in Darwin !!!!'

I hope our game is not moved back as I have planned a whole weekend in Tassie from Friday night... so I have already outlayed for airfares accomodation and restaurants booked. ( for 4)...

To repeat my thread they could act now. They have done it with one game this week they could do it with our game next week. It would be more for the appeal and done while it is needed, now.

Theres a difference in a game that will attract a small crowd in darwin vs our game which will pull over 20k.

Theres a difference in a game that will attract a small crowd in darwin vs our game which will pull over 20k.

Are you suggesting that the Tassie game will draw 20000? It might be time for me to resume gambling and have a wager with you. I think they would be lucky to get half that number.

I was agreeing with you for a second there, but unfortunately Geelong is playing Adelaide there in the evening. A nice idea but not going to happen.

And i couldn't agree with you more, angryfijian, those guys are heroes and every one of them deserves to be applauded.

Another reason why this wouldn't be possible is that the AFL were already considering moving the Geelong v Adelaide match to AAMI if the Melbourne Storm need the stadium for something.

Are you suggesting that the Tassie game will draw 20000? It might be time for me to resume gambling and have a wager with you. I think they would be lucky to get half that number.

There is noone in the country, (other than perhpas those total lowlife loser arsonist/murderers), that is not feeling a great sense of grief over the current devastating disasters that are being felt in three states. There is a great sense of pride in seeing how the Nation rallies in time of need and pulls together to assist those in their time of need. The emergency services have been doing an absolutely superhuman job of coping and deserve every praise. As a Tamanian I am proud that we have been able to send men and equipment to assist in Victoria and to see the amount of clothing in the collection points is remarkable.

BUT. To move the game from Aurora Stadium in Launceston is just not on. I am a proud and passionate Demon and we receive little enough support down here from the club as it is, so to finally see a game in Tasmania is something thousands of supporters deserve. Unfortunatel I will be in NSW so won't be there but I can tell you there will be plenty of others.

Also take on board the enormous following Hawthorn has built down here. $15,000,000 of the Tassie taxpayers money has sure helped them but give them their due, they were prepared to give it a go. The Dees have continually snubbed their nose at Tassie and it is quite galling when one looks at the quality players who have come from here and played for the Red and the Blue.

To you, "redleg" I would also like you to look at the percentage per population for the support given here to AFL. Beats the rest of you hands down. We love our footy.

Finally my friends. The best footballer ever came from here in one Darrel Baldock. How dumb were we back then to let him go.

I'd be surprised if it didn't draw at least over 15,000.

As "The Febes" says, Tasweigans love their footy, it will most likely gather some typ of donation for the bushfire victims not even to mention it's the defending Premier's (and their home team's) first game after winning the Premiership

As "The Febes" says, Tasweigans love their footy, it will most likely gather some typ of donation for the bushfire victims not even to mention it's the defending Premier's (and their home team's) first game after winning the Premiership

Pleas don't call us "Taswegians" We are no more "wegians" than you are "Vicwegians"

In relation to the fire appeal I know how generous Tasmanians are and I know that our contribution per head of population will be significant. As a Vietnam Veteran I am currently working with our State organisation to arrange donations. I also know that all our local politicians and council offices are collecting donations and are overwhelmed by the support being given.

Wouldn't it be great if we could work togethe like this all the time and not need a disater to bring out the best in us. But like it is all the time there are already lowlifes who are looting the homes of those who are suffering. They need public flogging.

I'm sure I have read/heard that this game is close to a sell out. What does the stadium hold? I know its over 15k, hence why I used the 20k round figure which seems to ring a bell 18-19k for a couple of their big games in the last couple of years.

I think its fantastic melbourne is finally getting exposure in the tassie market plus I know our generous brothers across bass straight will embrace our losses as much as anybody. To call this game back to melbourne next week is border line stupidity IMO and something that the AFL and tassie gov relations would be strained over.

To repeat my thread they could act now. They have done it with one game this week they could do it with our game next week. It would be more for the appeal and done while it is needed, now.

Agree. The whole 1st Round of the NAB Cup IMHO.

Hi Guys,

I've finally made it back to Demonland.

I've been helping out my parents in Callignee over the past few days as they were impacted with the Bushfires and things have been crazy. They managed to save the house but the surrounds are totally destroyed. Very lucky indeed.

Back to topic, I think its a great idea that they move it, but probably a little late notice to do it now.

Was also great to see the Russian and Cam Bruce make a trip to Boolarra where some of the fire activity took place also. Good photo taken in our local rag of Cam connecting with some primary school students from the area.

Anything to help out our local communities after this tragedy is a bonus.

Gippy