Blease & Strauss are CRITICAL to the Club's improvement

Cranky Franky

uninformed

Your confusion of pre season GFs and Sept GFs is bizarre. Your blinkers to Buckleys performance and naive basis of asssessment more so.

He won the NSM in a losing side that day - yet failed to inspire the rest to get them over the line on any occasion.

In the two GFs that actually count (read mean something), he won a NSM in one and had 24 disposals in an undermanned team that was overwhelmed by a far superior opposition. And your point on denigrating him because they did not win is just ridiculous and only reinforces the first quote about.

Pies Team of the Century and he still played on for another 5 years. - I'm sorry I must have missed this as a criteria of being an elite player. Better take hird, voss, carey, robbie off the list as they didn't make the pies team of the century. I'm glad you cleared that one up for us all! :lol:

I use the Pies Team of the Century as due recognition of Buckley's contribution and assessment by his peers as a Magpie great given Collingwood is the most successful AFL team of the 20th Century based on the number of GF appearances during that century. Now a wily and informed reader like you will no doubt say, Carlton and Essendon have won more flags. Well done. But Collingwood has won more games more consistently over the whole 20th century which indicates a higher overall playing standard of their teams day in day out. Therefore the Collingwood's team of the century is a creditable bellwether of playing capability from one side. Buckey was only half we through his career and was recognised by football experts as being one of their greatest.

Clearly you have used the challenging stamping ground of pre season GFs to critically evaluate Buckley. Bravo and insightful. Read first quoted point.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly you have used the challenging stamping ground of pre season GFs to critically evaluate Buckley. Bravo and insightful. Read first quoted point.

LOL - Thats gold Rhino!

Your blinkers to Buckleys performance and naive basis of asssessment more so - At a young age i was accused of having two coloured eyes- one blue and one red. So your assessment is most likely very accurate! and hence I'm not going to argue the point.

You were spot on I was caught taking a cheap shot of one of the filths favorite sons and no facts are going to back up my assessment except I am interested to know.....

It was always joked that he was eddy's love child, now I'm not so sure rhino! :wub:

I watched Tom Swift play in last night's NAB Cup game and I think West Coast might be onto a winner there. I fully understand Melbourne's reasons for not selecting him but Blease and Strauss who were drafted before Swift are going to have to be very, very good to match what I believe I saw in him last night.

Yes watched him closely and he is a natural ball getter. It seemed like the first quarter he just kept racking up possessions.

He did appear hesitant to kick the ball and hand passed on almost every time I saw him.

I think everyone knows how good he is, as he is a ball magnet.

The thing is, the opinion appears to be around his 'loose' knees which may not go the distance.

We must have thought long and hard over that one, because if he survives, he may make us regret the choice more than Naitanui in my opinion. He looks a natural ball magnet to me.

only time will answer this one.

I desperately wanted Swift and as Pender was just about to announce our 3rd pick I thought he was ours.

The kid is going to be a gun, provided his knees last but who knows the answer to that question? In the end I understand that Strauss is a 'safer' option.

We must have thought long and hard over that one, because if he survives, he may make us regret the choice more than Naitanui in my opinion. He looks a natural ball magnet to me.

only time will answer this one.

There were comments made just after the draft that suggested that we were never interested in him, something about not wanting the talented kids who had question marks over their injury histories.

There were comments made just after the draft that suggested that we were never interested in him, something about not wanting the talented kids who had question marks over their injury histories.

I still think the club got it right with this one. In 10yrs I'm confident we will reflect back and say the right decision was made. I'd also much prefer watching the local victorian boys then little tirds like thompson return home after you have invested in their development.

Swift did look good though, right into the super coach side. With how bad wce are going to be this year I think he will have plenty of game time.

I reckon Swift will be an absolute gun. Genuinely surprised the club didn't pick him, but they know more than me - I sincerely hope they're right.

Agreed he looked to be a ball magnet.

He seems like he's got the Darryl White two handed ball drop - I've never liked it.

I was always dark on the club for missing out on Swift. Given the footage I'd seen he was just born an elite footballer. I understand the inkjury concerns, and the fact the club and its supporters have had a gutful of them, but I thought given the obvious upside he was a gem of a pick.

As it turns out I'm happy with Strauss, whow as the picm before. More than happy actually. Blease I'm still on the fence with until I see a bit more... So this is not to dig the boot into either.

But if Swift goes on to become the player I thought he would be, it'll just sting a little.

I was 5 months, don't recall much, was probably hungry at some stage

Missed this. Like it.

As for how this thread has gone... I can't imagine one going more awry. And I certainly can't remember one going awry so pleasantly. Top work demonland.