DEMONLAND/DEMONOLOGY v SAINTSATIONAL

rollinson 65

The Demons triumphed again and retained the coveted Carl Ditterich Cup to make it a clean sweep of internet supporter site games for 2008 – three in all - with an overwhelming 118 points win over the Saints at Gosch’s Paddock on Sunday.

The victory meant that the Demonland/Demonology boys emulated their AFL counterparts with three victories for the year.

Unfortunately, the Saints went in with a very undermanned side with some of their better players including Casey Scorpions reserves player Ilsey sitting it out this time. As a result I am departing from the usual match summary, because the game was so uneven that it was something of a procession and a training drill. Saintsational had about 10 quality players missing, and it showed.

The Sainters had a couple of young kids who ran all day in the mid-field, and a couple of stalwarts in defence. Their full-back got at least 18 kicks that we know of! HD was his usual stubborn and running self, but that was the end of the story. They had one speedster who showed a lot of pace early which enabled them to score two early goals and lead by six points halfway through the quarter but some positional moves and the order to check him closely did the trick. Thanks Wise Monkey.

For the Demons, it was a very even and unselfish team performance and it was very difficult to pick the best player on ground for the Martin Heppell award. There were 10-15 blokes who could have been named without raising eyebrows.

Mclean4brownlow, who played his first game a couple of years ago as Scotty’s “little brother”, is now a veteran of these forum games and put in another memorable performance, on the wing and up forward.

Cactus, another veteran forward, set up a number of goals and dominated wherever he was positioned.

Another regular, Pringle, ran all day, always seemed to have space and time (an indication of a thinking player), and read the play brilliantly, always in the right spot at the right time.

With the injury to Rivvo (from Demonology!), Doggo (another veteran) has now become Mr. Fixit in the team. No CHF, send Doggo. No CHB, send Doggo. On Sunday, it was no ruckman (Cribbes is still overseas), well then send Doggo. He did a great job in the ruck, alternating with Sean, to send us forward with monotonous regularity. This put him behind the play, so we were not treated to seeing his freakish marks on Sunday.

Wise Monkey captained again, running and crunching his way through the middle, getting first hands on the ball when it fell from the ruckmen, becoming (and relishing being) first player tackled and last player standing. Another veteran who played in our very first game alongside Doggo and Freak, Wise played yet another superlative captain’s game, facilitating talking on the field and leading by example with unselfish play. We are going to miss this bloke when he finally hangs up the boots. Hopefully, that may be when we need a new coach, so the transition can be as smooth as possible!

Funky41 played an impressive first game, combining footy skills with a thinking football brain and team orientation. Just as importantly, he and Wolfmother brought a number of Demon supporters to play their first games for us, and we were impressed. If these guys collectively front again, we will face TankingCarlton in February with confidence it will be an even and fierce contest. Thanks, guys, for breathing new life into our list.

Charlesy (Funky’s mate and another first-gamer) won a share of the Martin Heppell award for best Dees player with a faultless performance mainly off half-back. One of those blessed players that the ball seems to go to like a magnet, seem to receive the ball easily (no awkward bounces for these blokes), and have plenty of time and space to deliver the ball perfectly each time. Deceptive pace for a well-built bloke, too. Nobody seemed to want to tackle him for some reason.

Heater (Funky’s mate and another first-gamer) played full-forward, booted 3 and was denied 5-6 by the Sainters’ serviceable full-back and yours truly (as goal umpy). Apparently, Rollo's eyesight has not improved since game 1! Unselfish focal point, good lead, good mark and accurate kick. Did not succeed in starting any fights, but not for want of trying!

Wolfmother was also a first-gamer on Sunday but another accomplished player. Ran hard out of defence, left his man kick less and showed how team players play the game. Could watch his kicking and hand-ball skills all day (and did!).

Scotty is a veteran who has kicked twice as many goals for us as any other player, except perhaps Cactus. Another 4 this match tells only half of the story. At least four assists, many contested possessions, and flawless delivery. Like Freak, Scotty has put in so many consistent performances for us, you have to wonder why he has not yet had a Heppell – he can’t be too far away IMO. Fantastic mark for his height. Yet another great game.

Nick has now played two for us, and bagged two majors this time. Good contested mark, and deceptively good when the ball is on the ground, One percenters are admirable.

Ucanchoose brought his own cheer squad and they cheered the veteran through another game. One day he will get his wish for a posting down forward. Wherever he plays, a welcome and valuable member of a team which is gaining a reputation for invincibility.

Deanox wasted a number of posts on the board telling us he could not play if his life depended on it and hadn’t played footy since under 9’s. When he turned up, and Whispering Jack discovered this fact, he wondered we could hide him. He was eventually consigned to a forward pocket with a request to stay out of Heater’s way and he responded with two goals and two assists as well as laying out a few Sainters with some strong rugby tackles. He took every mark that came his way. Way to go, Deanox!

Toot182 may have won his share of the Heppell because he looked a bit like Luke, but I don’t think so. Fitter than most, he ran and ran, and created opportunity after opportunity for the team. Another first-gamer, we hope will become a regular. Thanks, mate, we need you to front up against TankingCarlton next game.

BL2381 is another of Pringle’s brothers (and a nephew of Whispering Jack). He showed us he can play, with 2 goals from limited time up forward. Not the fittest player on the park having not played for a few years, but footy-savvy and a most welcome addition to the team.

Fuzz gained veteran status with Sunday’s game. Tallish and a real team player, impresses with his commitment to forum footy games.

Sean (Scotty’s mate) played ruck, alternating with Doggo. Very impressive first game for us. Complete player who deserves his chance to play in a position that will enable him to better showcase his ability. Good fitness and fierce at the man and the ball. Hope to see him again.

Freak hung over and tired is still a force to be reckoned with. Good roving skills, and won the contested ball again and again. Consistently in our best players.

Jackson (Mclean4brownlow’s mate) played on the wing and gave much run through the middle. Well played, mate.

Luke, Scotty’s mate, looked a bit like Toot182, booted 3 valuable goals and was among our best. Another I hope to see again.

A good third of our players were first gamers, but the team produced a group effort which won the approval of coaches Redleg and Whispering Jack.

Special thanks to Bails and Jinksy (mates of funky) who volunteered to play for the Sainters in the first quarter, and played so well for them. Sent away for the second quarter, and then asked for by the Sainters again for the third quarter, these guys didn't know if they were coming or going. I was sad to see you guys staying away from the singing of the song at the end of the match. You had the hardest job all day, and deserved your place in the circle...

Special thanks also to Amanda, the physio, who attended to the players' needs for strapping and binding before the match, and who also took the only quality photos of the action. I am here to tell the thought police on site that there was no sexual element to the strapping or binding...

I walked away from the TankingCarlton game in November with many memories of a close and entertaining contest that could have gone either way. This time around, it was only close for the first quarter with the Dees’ bad kicking keeping the opposition in the game. The second term was a 10 goals 3 behinds to nil massacre and it was well and truly over at the final break when the coaches switched the forwards and backs around.

I walked away a bit sad, and hoping that the Sainters can regroup and realistically challenge for the trophy next year. I, for one, hope they can get back some of the quality players they have fielded in the past because nobody likes to see such an uneven contest...

A first for this game, we got 5 people to the pub after the game. About time, people!

If anybody would like to add corrections or additional comments, they will be most welcome. Goal umpiring, and so many first-gamers on board, does not make for accurate reporting.

Demonland/Demonology 2.7.19 12.10.82 19.15.129 22.18.150

Saintsational 2.1.13 2.1.13 4.2.26 6.2.38

Goals Scotty 4 Heater Luke 3 BL3281 Deanox Freak Nick 2 Charlesy Pringle Toot Wise Monkey Wolfmother

Martin Heppell award (Dees player) shared by Charlesy and Toot but this was a real team effort

Pictorial evidence of the game will be posted as soon as we can work out the technology. Thanks to Eddie McGuire for providing the ground. It was the least you Collingw&%$ people could do given that we at Melbourne allow your mob to play their home games at our ground – the MELBOURNE Cricket Ground.

Some of the most impressive run and carry football I've seen.

Even when the Saints went the super flood (lined up in the 4th with a 0 man forward line) we still found our way through.

Pleasure to play alongside everyone today - there was some real talent on show. Our strongest side and best performance yet.

Some of the most impressive run and carry football I've seen.

Even when the Saints went the super flood (lined up in the 4th with a 0 man forward line) we still found our way through.

Pleasure to play alongside everyone today - there was some real talent on show. Our strongest side and best performance yet.

wouldn't mind seeing a game (if it were possible) between the team that beat talkingcarlton and the guys who played yesterday...

dunno which was strongest, but it would be good to see wise tackling himself, and the inevitable fight that would follow... :rolleyes:

work today, but will try to finish the match summary asap...

so that WJ can do a poor edit on it... :lol:

Our strongest side and best performance yet.

Always seems to be the way with any sporting team I'm associated with...

They perform better when I'm not around...

Suggests a bit.

I just wanted say that I had a ball yesterday.

Firstly, to play on Goch's Paddock, which was in top-nick was brilliant! I wouldn't imagine that there could be many grounds in better condition in Melbourne at the moment. So to whomever organsied that, (I don't know if it was official or off the books) but, thank you!

I also wanted to add that it was awesome playing with such a bunch of talented and great blokes. TBH I had no idea what to expect coming in, but the way we played in some passages of play, well i know it was said by the coaches, but we looked lethal!

Massive thanks to the coaches who did a top job and rollo for organsing the whole gig, and for standing out in the sun goal umpiring and watching 22 go over his wide-brim. (I shudder at the thought of what the score could've been if we'd kicked more accurately)

Only downside; I was slightly disappointed by the turn-out at the pub after (as Wolfmother noted from his iPhone) there were only 5 of us!

Thanks again for the game guys, I'm super-sore and sunburnt today and look forward to seeing some photos!

I look forward to the next one which hopefully I'll be around for!

Cheers

It's a Grand Old Flag!

The photos look great with some great action shoots.... looks like i got heaps of the ball with the amount of photos I'm in but I think Belinda (Funk's missus) got every one of my touchst... great three photos though...

To everyone I had a great day and it was different playing in the red and blue... the song and the video of all the boys singing it is great....

Thanks to rollo for organising the day and the first round :D but lets hope we can get everyone back to the pub next time for a bit of a celebration....

Nicely done dees... Though I share the sentiment that it would be good to see a more even contest. The last thing you want is for the Saintsational boys to cancel next time because of a lack of interest.

I've just uploaded pics and vids from yesterdays game to the Demonland facebook site.

There's some ripper action shots in there mate... especially like the one where i look like i'm about to launch into a 55m bomb (my new facebook profile picture)... pretty sure i shanked it though! lol

EDIT: Just been on the saintsational forum, and it seems they've accused one of our ruckmen (of which i was one) of wearing metal studs... If any of you Saints blokes are reading this, i can assure you that the stops on my boots were indeed plastic. I know it was a friendly-forum match, but it's still footy... Harden the f*** up! Corkies and stud marks are just part'n'parcel of playing in the ruck... don't think i haven't got a few myself either! My right quad is literally blue and purple!!! ;)

Just read the saints site and they are having a bit of a whinge... I thought the game was played really well and in good spirit, I know I played nice football because usually I would have killed a couple of the players that were gobbing off and would have ironed out (if we were playing for our club p.s I was fitter once :) ) a few in situations but that was not the intent of the game. I saw shagger (charlesy) pull out on at least three/four occassion were he would of cleaned players up normally.

I actually might jump on the their site and give them what for

i had a blast. good sunburnt on the arms but thats now turning into tan. Kicked 2.1 which was better than my 1 goal 6 from another time. My TOG was limited though. would have only been about 60%..might have to do a CJ :P

Don't think so Freak. You were off once or twice and no more than half the quarter which is at best 1 quarter off meaning at least 75% game time on. Anyway you played a nice game. Glad you enjoyed it, that is the aim of these "friendlies".

If anyone knows how to load the photos from Facebook onto this thread (and it's equivalent on Demonology) it would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, we'll work it our soon ourselves and get them up if nobody does so in the meantime. :rolleyes:

Now a few words about our best player trophy. It's named after the great Martin Heppell whose AFL career spanned both the Melbourne and St. Kilda Football Clubs. Heppell was a flanker from Carey Grammar whose career started in 1993 at Linton Street and it spanned three games before he found a new home at Melbourne in 1995. Alas, Heppell just missed out on emulating that feat with the Demons in that he played just two games before prematurely departing the AFL scene, alas forever. Little is know of what happened to Heppell after he left the Dees. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Great article rollo, looks like a lot of time an effort went into that. Thanks heaps, very in depth analysis and player by player summaries. Nice!

Edit: Also then, thanks to WJ for a superb write-up! "Mr Fixit"... i like it :lol:

Wise Monkey captained again, running and crunching his way through the middle, getting first hands on the ball when it fell from the ruckmen, becoming (and relishing being) first player tackled and last player standing. Another veteran who played in our very first game alongside Doggo and Freak, Wise played yet another superlative captain's game, facilitating talking on the field and leading by example with unselfish play. We are going to miss this bloke when he finally hangs up the boots. Hopefully, that may be when we need a new coach, so the transition can be as smooth as possible!

Rollo, Whispering, thanks for the report and your ongoing support of these games.

Two points...

Firstly, I ran around on Sunday feeling like I was still 18, and I reckon this body has decades left. It's a shame that once the word retirement is mentioned next to a player, it hangs over their head for the rest of their career. From here on in every game could be billed as my last. :huh:

Secondly, I recently raised the ire of our coaching panel by suggesting recently that we try to get someone from the football department down to coach one of these games. They weren't receptive to the idea of being replaced, irrespective of who by. I would imagine the idea of me doing a Michael Voss is about as popular as our whiteboard on Saintsational. In any event, I'll have to dull the colourful language before I can consider the gig full time. Too many years of country footy has rendered me incapable of motivating young footballers without horrifying their mum's. Good thing the only mother down there on Sunday was mine. :wub:

Secondly, I recently raised the ire of our coaching panel by suggesting recently that we try to get someone from the football department down to coach one of these games. They weren't receptive to the idea of being replaced, irrespective of who by. I would imagine the idea of me doing a Michael Voss is about as popular as our whiteboard on Saintsational. In any event, I'll have to dull the colourful language before I can consider the gig full time. Too many years of country footy has rendered me incapable of motivating young footballers without horrifying their mum's. Good thing the only mother down there on Sunday was mine. :wub:

No one has ever suggested it to me and therefore my ire was never raised. I would have no problem with an official coach of the football club taking over, in fact I would be delighted. There is very little glory in coaching friendlies. The bragging rights belong to the players.

I would be happy for anyone to take over and will content myself with the knowledge of three games coached for three wins. It would be a good note to retire on.

PS. Where do I pick up my superannuation?