Welcome to Casey Fields

Demonland

Does anyone now of any possible dates for the alleged Cranbourne East station? Is it more likely than not?

The Cranbourne East railway station has been planned for more than two decades. In the 1999 election, the Labor Party promised to extend the electrification and to build a station at Cranbourne East. But they didn't deliver.

In the government's transport planning document of a couple of years ago, Meeting our Transport Challenges (MOTC) which took transport planning out to 2030, the Cranbourne East station was not even mentioned. It had fallen off the radar completely.

With the greater focus on public transport in the last 12 months, there was every expectation that the Cranbourne East station would do a Lazarus and rise from the dead. However, the current financial situation might just make the Government a little bit reserved in some of its plans.

Not that there should be any reason why Cranbourne East would not get a guernsey – it’s right at a growth area.

As far as timing goes – I think we’ll have to wait and see what the new strategy reveals. Next months I think it’s due.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A station next to the ground would be a real bonus....

At least Peter Batchelor isn't the Minister for (incompetence) Transport any more....now there is a chance it might actually happen...

But I wouldn't be holding my breath....

A station next to the ground would be a real bonus....

At least Peter Batchelor isn't the Minister for (incompetence) Transport any more....now there is a chance it might actually happen...

But I wouldn't be holding my breath....

Where have been? I'm guessing you've not heard much about Lyn Kosky? Batchelor would be a blessing compared to her at this stage

There was a total of $998,000 available from Council, AFL Victoria and the State Government for sheltered, tiered spectator areas on the outer side of the ground and toilets. Of this amount $350,000 has been redirected into the MFC project.

Therefore there is still $648,000 available.

There has been a delay in proceeding with the project while the MFC/Council agreement was unresolved because MFC wasn't sure whether it still wanted to commit to Casey for 30 years (until it was certain how much, if any, of the funds would head over to the other side of the oval to contribute to the MFC project it was impossible to scope the project on the outer). Now everything appears to be back on track.

Because of the delay, there's no prospect of the shade areas being completed by late Summer/early Autumn 2009.

It'll be there by 2010 though.

Thanks for the report 'casey scorp', but I think a little bit of landscaping on the grandstand side, with a few mature deciduous trees temporarily transplanted outside of the grandstand area could be usefull & if down the track they were in the way, they may well be moved to another location.?

A long shot but imagine this scenario.

A 15 - 20,000 seat stadium built on one side of the ground for club members at Casey. Then the rest could be a mix of grass and sealed standing areas.

Melbourne play 12 games at the MCG with 9 being home games against the better drawing Vic clubs and 3 away games which our members have reciprical rights too. Then we play 3 games against 2 interstate sides and 1 of North or Footscray. The games are billed as family days. A local high school plays in the morning, followed by the Scorpions and then the main game. During this kids are entertained and BBQ's cook snags and sell beer for the crowd. Raffles are held and the days have a bit of a carnival atmosphere. Community groups funded by the AFL and the state government are given tickets and other local groups are involved in other ways. This is not pie in the sky, this is taking footy back to where it belongs. The Community! The Family! The Kids! I would happilt get down there to be part of this.

The Saints and or North could use the ground in a similar way helping to fund it, but when there everyone would know that it's A Demons Venue, lots of red and blue. Bring it on!

Why Aim Low I do not understand. This club has done too much of that since 1965. Great, build a toy stadium out in the sticks that can attract 20,000 supporters.

Why not aim to get 40-45.000 for interstate home games at the MCG?? Don't tell me it is not possible-it is. In 2008 we have 30,000 members. With good planning on & off the field (attractive Tough Footy) People will come to watch. A boutique stadium scenario is too much like the "white Flag, we will never be a big club". I do not barrack for a team that plays in springvale where a sausage sizzle greets me at the side Gate. The Melbourne Football Club must strive to play & Maximize ALL Home Games at the MCG. It is where this club lives.

A point many plainly fail to grasp is that there will always be "those" games that dont pack the rafters. The idea of a boutique stadium is about reutns for attendances etc. Done right you will get as much money out of 15-20000 bums on seats or feet on ground in a smaler stadium where you have some say in the advertising the catering ...the bloody everything as compared a venue where you get bugger all.

Am happy to pursue a stadium of sorts at Casey in future. Good ol home ground advantage too.. The sqawkers do it now..its just in another State.. think outside the oval peope :)

A point many plainly fail to grasp is that there will always be "those" games that dont pack the rafters. The idea of a boutique stadium is about reutns for attendances etc. Done right you will get as much money out of 15-20000 bums on seats or feet on ground in a smaler stadium where you have some say in the advertising the catering ...the bloody everything as compared a venue where you get bugger all.

Am happy to pursue a stadium of sorts at Casey in future. Good ol home ground advantage too.. The sqawkers do it now..its just in another State.. think outside the oval peope :)

We just need to get a strong stadium deal from the MCG. Something we have not had for many years. Casey is a VFL Ground. Get a deal similiar to what essendon get from Docklands. Why Spend money on a stadium when our home is already the best there is...The MFC has to strengthen it position in there i believe.

Casey is a VFL Ground-Leave it that way.

We just need to get a strong stadium deal from the MCG. Something we have not had for many years. Casey is a VFL Ground. Get a deal similiar to what essendon get from Docklands. Why Spend money on a stadium when our home is already the best there is...The MFC has to strengthen it position in there i believe.

Casey is a VFL Ground-Leave it that way.

we just need this..we would be ok if only that.. !!! :rolleyes:

You cant sit back and expect everyone to do it all for you. You need to be proactive and wrestle back control of your destiny. Not be at the beck aand call of others whims. Casey IS a VFL ground at present...doesnt always need to be. Manuka.. Aurora..even Carrara etc. arent your normal AFL venues either.

Quite frankly as long as peopel seem to think everything revolves around the G then you are doomed to an enternity inthe hell called a quagmire. A better deal wil lhelp there, no argument..but its not the clincher.

Why spend money ?? To make it for christs sake ! Its the way of business :unsure:

A future development at Casey willbe something I will be broaching come Sunday

Why Aim Low I do not understand. This club has done too much of that since 1965. Great, build a toy stadium out in the sticks that can attract 20,000 supporters.

Why not aim to get 40-45.000 for interstate home games at the MCG?? Don't tell me it is not possible-it is. In 2008 we have 30,000 members. With good planning on & off the field (attractive Tough Footy) People will come to watch. A boutique stadium scenario is too much like the "white Flag, we will never be a big club". I do not barrack for a team that plays in springvale where a sausage sizzle greets me at the side Gate. The Melbourne Football Club must strive to play & Maximize ALL Home Games at the MCG. It is where this club lives.

Games against Gold Coast, West Sydney, Freo, PA are along way from drawing the crowd numbers you speak of. I'm all for the G as our spiritual base. I've been a big supporter of joining the club back to the G and ditching the stupidity of Bubbledome. But we need a money making venue such as Geelong so we can grow the club. Rather than think White Flag, think taking control of our destiny in these difficult times. The State, Local Govts, the AFL can help fund the stadium in much the same way they have helped North, Richmond and Footscray. The difference being we can play games and turn a profit at our sradium. Geelong make a fortune playing games at Kardinia Park. That's what we need to look at. Initially the stadium need only hold 20 -25, 000 people. Who knows in 25 years it may hold 50,000 and be a Demon fortress from hell for hapless interstate sides wandering into it. I am thinking big, I always do, but I'm also looking long term. Start small grasshopper! Gather a larger supporter base over the next 10 - 20 years and then when we play at the G we canadd 25,000 people to our gate. Imagine Melbourne V Collingwood QB 2028, 143,000 watch as the Fearsome Demons revel in destroying the Pies, only the week after playing in front of a record 49,987 at Casey against The Gold Coast.

I went to the Melbourne/North game and took my own seat as I had seen the mound on the other side of the ground when the ABC showed a VFL game there. No problem with the view at all. However, the toilet facilities need serious upgrade.

Games against Gold Coast, West Sydney, Freo, PA are along way from drawing the crowd numbers you speak of. I'm all for the G as our spiritual base. I've been a big supporter of joining the club back to the G and ditching the stupidity of Bubbledome. But we need a money making venue such as Geelong so we can grow the club. Rather than think White Flag, think taking control of our destiny in these difficult times. The State, Local Govts, the AFL can help fund the stadium in much the same way they have helped North, Richmond and Footscray. The difference being we can play games and turn a profit at our sradium. Geelong make a fortune playing games at Kardinia Park. That's what we need to look at. Initially the stadium need only hold 20 -25, 000 people. Who knows in 25 years it may hold 50,000 and be a Demon fortress from hell for hapless interstate sides wandering into it. I am thinking big, I always do, but I'm also looking long term. Start small grasshopper! Gather a larger supporter base over the next 10 - 20 years and then when we play at the G we canadd 25,000 people to our gate. Imagine Melbourne V Collingwood QB 2028, 143,000 watch as the Fearsome Demons revel in destroying the Pies, only the week after playing in front of a record 49,987 at Casey against The Gold Coast.

I get your drift Roost it, and you do think BIG. But 143,000? I take it 43,000 are sitting on the roof with harness's and following the strict Occ. Health & Safety Rules...

Seriously though, the MCG is our home. Geelong has only recently been making money on its venue on the back of good management and improved crowd numbers due to its form. Prior to that Geelong were in the basket case and millions in debt. Casey is a step in the right direction for improved numbers, this will be enhanced once the form of the team turns and quality football is produced.

ok question:

is it impossible for us to have all three: casey, bubbledome and G?

'Bubbledome' is the Melbourne Rectangle Stadium, which is rectangular. It is not set up for AFL matches or training, we'd be using their office space & facilities (pool, gym, spa, rehab, etc.)

'Bubbledome' is the Melbourne Rectangle Stadium, which is rectangular. It is not set up for AFL matches or training, we'd be using their office space & facilities (pool, gym, spa, rehab, etc.)

Correct. Bubbledome is for the Melbourne Storm & Melbourne Victory primarily and special events if warranted. What the MFC would have is state-of-the-art facilities used for weight sessions, recovery sessions. Which has been what the club has been after for years. Perhaps some drills on the turf occassionally.

I get your drift Roost it, and you do think BIG. But 143,000? I take it 43,000 are sitting on the roof with harness's and following the strict Occ. Health & Safety Rules...

Seriously though, the MCG is our home. Geelong has only recently been making money on its venue on the back of good management and improved crowd numbers due to its form. Prior to that Geelong were in the basket case and millions in debt. Casey is a step in the right direction for improved numbers, this will be enhanced once the form of the team turns and quality football is produced.

I think Geelong has been making money recently because they made the investment in their ground to accomodate more people comfortably, and after doing the calculations on gate takings, and in particular at Doshlands, asked the AFL to draw them at Skilled Stadium for as many home games as possible.

The Doshlands was helping to send them broke, similar to us at the G, where 30k gives us some pocket money only.

For the record, Geelong's home game average attendance for 2008 was 29474, only topping Nth Melb 27667 for Vic based clubs.

Melbourne's home game average for 2008 was 30,777.

Who said anything about a white Flag!! Far from it. I Believe we need to aim at getting 50,000 at the MCG against interstate clubs & i believe it can be done with Hard work. The MCG is not hard to get to via PT. Why build a Stadium in the sticks to make money. We need to be more Pro active with the one we have already got. Yes one must spend money to make money i totally agree, but i don't agree with spending when a wonderful under utilized assett already exists.

I think Geelong has been making money recently because they made the investment in their ground to accomodate more people comfortably, and after doing the calculations on gate takings, and in particular at Doshlands, asked the AFL to draw them at Skilled Stadium for as many home games as possible.

The Doshlands was helping to send them broke, similar to us at the G, where 30k gives us some pocket money only.

For the record, Geelong's home game average attendance for 2008 was 29474, only topping Nth Melb 27667 for Vic based clubs.

Melbourne's home game average for 2008 was 30,777.

Wow. They are some damning figures... The MCG is killing us just about singlehandedly.

Seriously, if Geelong with their success can only get these numbers, how can we expect to get an average of 50,000 ??

Wow. They are some damning figures... The MCG is killing us just about singlehandedly.

Seriously, if Geelong with their success can only get these numbers, how can we expect to get an average of 50,000 ??

Ah slowly but surely the fog lifts !!

its very sentimental to adopt the G for all reasons...but we cannot afford to play at the G all season !!

Ah slowly but surely the fog lifts !!

its very sentimental to adopt the G for all reasons...but we cannot afford to play at the G all season !!

If Geelongs Stadium was Bigger they would get bigger numbers. At Present opposition supporters cannot get in. Bloody disgrace that games are scheduled there under thos arrangements

If Geelongs Stadium was Bigger they would get bigger numbers. At Present opposition supporters cannot get in. Bloody disgrace that games are scheduled there under thos arrangements

Better to have a lockout, knowing you are making a fortune, than shut large portions of a stadium because you don't have the gate to utilize it.

Geelong are extremely efficient at the moment. No excess, no waste, and their ground is hell for their opposition for the exact reason to which you allude.

There also is little pressure on them to fill the large stadiums when they play at them. Kardinia Park is their meal ticket.

Correct. It is this very reason that they make so much money from it as their supporters are forced to upgrade to reserve seat memberships, something a Demon member only does for the love of the club. Here's my thinking. You buy your MFC membership for $150, this gives you entry to all home games. 9 at the MCG and 3 at Casey(if you can get in). Or you spend $350 and you get reserve seat at MCG and Casey plus entry into any MFC games where we are the away side. This combined with some good form and you can see why the Cats are making money. It's possible. Does anyone know what it costs to build a 20,000 seat stadium with match day facilities

Who said anything about a white Flag!! Far from it. I Believe we need to aim at getting 50,000 at the MCG against interstate clubs & i believe it can be done with Hard work. The MCG is not hard to get to via PT. Why build a Stadium in the sticks to make money. We need to be more Pro active with the one we have already got. Yes one must spend money to make money i totally agree, but i don't agree with spending when a wonderful under utilized assett already exists.

We can aim at getting big crowds at the G all we want, but the reality is that wanting it will not make it so. Particularly with the draws we have had for the last couple of years, we will not get crowds. Public transport is also a red herring - take a look at the car park at the G - a huge number of people will drive in (generally people from outer suburbs who have very poor access to public transport). Casey Fields is not a disadvantage to these people as it is relatively easy to access via the freeway. Also, there are a lot of people in the satellite towns and further out (ie Gippsland) who used to make the trip to Waverley but gave up when Waverley closed. These people might just come back to footy if it is more accessible.

We have to get decent sized crowds to the dome and the G in order to not lose money (let alone make it) - clearly Casey Fields will be cheaper, and not making a loss is a good business decision at this point.

The G might be our 'spiritual home' but I don't think they see it that way, and no matter what we think they have to co-operate, which they have not been doing to date (when do we ever get to train on the ground?) - at least Casey Council is being more co-operative, which is a plus as well.