Welcome to Casey Fields

Demonland

Thursday morning 8am and a brand new era begins.

No, not the era of Obama but the era of Melbourne at Casey Fields and a new partnership with the Casey Scorpions, a team whose colours are predominantly red and blue.

We welcome training reports from Demon fans from down that way at Melbourne's first ever training session at Casey Fields. on Thursday 6 November 2008.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly an historic occasion. We could look back in 20 years, and recall the day that MFC first set up at Casey Fields. By that stage it might be a boutique stadium, and MFC might be playing some of its home matches there.

Who was there when MFC played its first game at Casey Fields (Saturday 8 March 2008 v North Melbourne)?

Who was there when MFC played its first game at Casey Fields (Saturday 8 March 2008 v North Melbourne)?

Me!

Apart from the result, was a really enjoyable day at the footy.

Is it true that the MFC requested a NAB Cup game there next year? In any case I'm sure we'll get another practice match there in March next year.

I'd be pretty sure that there would be a NAB Challenge match there on 14 March 2009. If MFC is not in the GF of the NAB Cup then it will be MFC v ?? at Casey Fields at 2:00pm that day.

The only sticking point could be the building works under construction at that time, but given how long it has taken for an ageement to be struck between MFC and Casey Council it is likely that the building works won't have started by then.

I think I did hear that MFC sought an opening round NAB Cup match (would have been better than Launceston), but I think we'll have to wait for 2010 for that.

It was a great day at Casey Fields for the NAB Challenge match earlier this year. 6,000 people, and next year would presumably be considerably more with MFC making prior forays into the Casey community. This year there was hardly any pre-publicity locally - next year I think there would be heaps.

I was there... quite a road trip... long walk because of difficulty getting into car park... stinking hot day... Bar was working well... Kangas killed us, set the tone for the season... Bate did hammy... Petterd busted gut... Senior players on extended holiday... As for the ground... Has Potential!

Guest melbman

Yes it is a great day for the MFC and hopefully the beginning of something special

Sorry to post a negative but.....

If you look at the first pic, only Green is ahead of his opponent. Jones may be on the inside and actually have a chance of getting to the ball but it is that structure in the middle that let us down for the last 2 years

Sure its only just one pic but it was indicative of our consistent last to the ball approach in the center

If you look at the first pic, only Green is ahead of his opponent. Jones may be on the inside and actually have a chance of getting to the ball but it is that structure in the middle that let us down for the last 2 years

Sure its only just one pic but it was indicative of our consistent last to the ball approach in the center

:huh:

Your apology is accepted on posting a negative. ;)

I understand your thought process on being last to the ball alot in the last 2 years. However, the picture is not really indicative of last to the ball approach in the centre. Its about positioning themselves to the advantage in relation to the hit out. How do you know where the tap is going to melbman? That is if White even got the tap out in the contested ruck.

Yes it is a great day for the MFC and hopefully the beginning of something special

You know I thought exactly to same thing, but I wasn't going to post about it, but I am glad you did.

I know from match reports at the start of the season that a lot of effort went into tagging the opposition. Dunn, McLean, MacDonald and Jones were some of the names mentioned a few times.

As for the photo I can only guess that the three players (Jones, McLean, MacDonald) next to their opponents were actually tagging them.

I agree with your sentiments about the centre square structure and can only hope that it was a 'player development initiative' and this coming season they are allowed to just go and get the ball and let the opposition worry about them for a change.

Back to topic..... A new era of training for the MFC has dawned, which is another step on the long road to redemption. (loud cheering and clapping). I hope the media were there.

Go Dees - Building for the future.

Guest melbman
:huh:

Your apology is accepted on posting a negative. ;)

I understand your thought process on being last to the ball alot in the last 2 years. However, the picture is not really indicative of last to the ball approach in the centre. Its about positioning themselves to the advantage in relation to the hit out. How do you know where the tap is going to melbman? That is if White even got the tap out in the contested ruck.

Fair question/point. I don't have any idea where the tap is going

The way I look at center bounces nowadays is that taps seem to travel downwards, more tap less bash, more in close to the ruckmen, cos there's less reaction time for the opponents to intercept, the long bash seems less popular, though Whitey did seem to still like them

In 07 especially our only center clearance movement seemed to be a defensive stop the opponant not a get the ball effort

I won't go on cos I'm bringing down what was meant to be a "good news" thread

PS Toad33, I nearly didn't post it too <_<

And why was McLean on Brent Harvey...strange matchup.

Why are people continually talking about playing "Home Games" at Casey Field on a Boutique Stadium? The MFC Plays Home games at the MCG, anythjing less and we are showing signs of giving up. The Aim of this Club must always be to attract more Spectators to the "G". I am Glad we have the use of casey Fields over summer, that is great. But a stadium out there is not going to work.

We played (were Forced) to play Home Games at Princess Park (Visy) in the past-Nobody went.

Telstra Dome when we play-Nobody goes. Why because its a Rip off-The Ground is to small & the Food is masssively over priced!! Sorry but that is the Bottom Line.

The MCG all the way for me.

Well, considering it was such a historic day, it's a bit disappointing that we couldn't get anyone down there to report on proceedings. Still, I guess that's the low key approach the club wants to its activities.

i was there waiting for them to start but they took too long and had to get to work!!! there were a few stragglers coming in just before 8.30. i was spewin on that...will be there for next one for sure. i did see 2 girls there waiting and a few council workers sitting around waiting. so not much fan fare. my young bloke is pumped about going down there to watch them!!! even been wearing his footy jumper to school!!!

Why are people continually talking about playing "Home Games" at Casey Field on a Boutique Stadium? The MFC Plays Home games at the MCG, anythjing less and we are showing signs of giving up. The Aim of this Club must always be to attract more Spectators to the "G". I am Glad we have the use of casey Fields over summer, that is great. But a stadium out there is not going to work.

We played (were Forced) to play Home Games at Princess Park (Visy) in the past-Nobody went.

Telstra Dome when we play-Nobody goes. Why because its a Rip off-The Ground is to small & the Food is masssively over priced!! Sorry but that is the Bottom Line.

The MCG all the way for me.

A long shot but imagine this scenario.

A 15 - 20,000 seat stadium built on one side of the ground for club members at Casey. Then the rest could be a mix of grass and sealed standing areas.

Melbourne play 12 games at the MCG with 9 being home games against the better drawing Vic clubs and 3 away games which our members have reciprical rights too. Then we play 3 games against 2 interstate sides and 1 of North or Footscray. The games are billed as family days. A local high school plays in the morning, followed by the Scorpions and then the main game. During this kids are entertained and BBQ's cook snags and sell beer for the crowd. Raffles are held and the days have a bit of a carnival atmosphere. Community groups funded by the AFL and the state government are given tickets and other local groups are involved in other ways. This is not pie in the sky, this is taking footy back to where it belongs. The Community! The Family! The Kids! I would happilt get down there to be part of this.

The Saints and or North could use the ground in a similar way helping to fund it, but when there everyone would know that it's A Demons Venue, lots of red and blue. Bring it on!

A 15 - 20,000 seat stadium built on one side of the ground for club members at Casey. Then the rest could be a mix of grass and sealed standing areas.

Melbourne play 12 games at the MCG with 9 being home games against the better drawing Vic clubs and 3 away games which our members have reciprical rights too. Then we play 3 games against 2 interstate sides and 1 of North or Footscray. The games are billed as family days. A local high school plays in the morning, followed by the Scorpions and then the main game. During this kids are entertained and BBQ's cook snags and sell beer for the crowd. Raffles are held and the days have a bit of a carnival atmosphere. Community groups funded by the AFL and the state government are given tickets and other local groups are involved in other ways. This is not pie in the sky, this is taking footy back to where it belongs. The Community! The Family! The Kids! I would happilt get down there to be part of this.

The Saints and or North could use the ground in a similar way helping to fund it, but when there everyone would know that it's A Demons Venue, lots of red and blue. Bring it on!

seriously, when i hear it like this...i want to play at casey

there woud have to be particular things that would need to occur such as coach's boxes, commentary boxed, good change rooms...adequate private access for players/coaches/officials

it is very much a pipe dream but if we played just two games there a year, it could definately be very exiting...

it would be cheap...and there could be sausage sizzles and the like

but the place woud need to be able to fit at least 22-25,000 ud think as a minimum

this could not possibly happen for a very very long time but i think it could be a bit of fun

seriously, when i hear it like this...i want to play at casey

there woud have to be particular things that would need to occur such as coach's boxes, commentary boxed, good change rooms...adequate private access for players/coaches/officials

it is very much a pipe dream but if we played just two games there a year, it could definately be very exiting...

it would be cheap...and there could be sausage sizzles and the like

but the place woud need to be able to fit at least 22-25,000 ud think as a minimum

this could not possibly happen for a very very long time but i think it could be a bit of fun

The lower drawing Vic clubs can't afford to play at the G or Telstra against the current interstate clubs let alone the 2 new ones. The place would hold upto 25,000 with only 15 - 20,000 seated on seats. This is not such a pipe dream. The AFL has already hinted at the need of a 3rd stadium. This is as likely as anywhere else. It's also a growth corridor and we all know the AFL love these. This takes 2,3 or even 4 Vic clubs getting together and realising they can have a deal silmilar to Geelong as far as raising revenue goes. Gotta be worth someone taking to the Summit next week. Although I'd say the clubs already got it in mind.

Surely if they were to play home and away games there (which I doubt they will) wouldn't they need to improve the public transport accesibility. Isn't the train station a 45min walk from down town Cranbourne?? And there is only 1 exit from the carpark.

I'd say NAB Cup games will be as far as they go IMO.

One of the benefits of Casey Fields you might recall is that it is in a rapid growth area. Along with growth will come improved infrastructure.

Public Transport

There's already bus service (TrainLink) which meets every train from 5am to 1am and goes to within 700m of Casey Fields. Anyone who catches the train to Cranbourne and walks to Casey Fields has to walk past the waiting bus at the station.

There's also a promise to extend the metro service and build a station at Cranbourne East.

Car Access to Casey Fields

The current entrance road will be a signalised intersection with a 4 lane north-south arterial road crossing the existing road. There are planned to be 3 access points to/from Casey Fields to the north-south road. The traffic signals and the first couple of entrances should be built within 3 years.

The blue lines on this plan show the proposed principal roads in the area:

http://webadmin.gaa.vic.gov.au/Assets/File...t%20network.pdf

There's also a promise to extend the metro service and build a station at Cranbourne East.

How far is the proposed train station at Cranbourne East from the ground?

If it's close to the ground, the station should be called Casey Fields because Cranbourne East sounds so boring!

How far is the proposed train station at Cranbourne East from the ground?

If it's close to the ground, the station should be called Casey Fields because Cranbourne East sounds so boring!

Strangely , like much in life it isnt actually emented into position..lol.. not yet !! hehe

It is variously shown as being about 300-400 m onthe other side of the main road there..to the north....closer than Richmond is to the G !! :) Naming it Casey Fields would make sense now for sure.

Guest melbman

Absolutely love your vision there for so many reasons

Demons summit stuff anyone??? Edit: in my haste I didn't read you'd already mentioned the summit, cheers :-)