Are you satisfied with Bailey at the moment?

Bring-Back-Powell

Just like to hear what the general view of Bailey is at the moment. There a couple of posters who are dead against him, many posters sitting on the fence while a select few are putting their 100% faith in Bailey and his process.

Here are factors to assess the senior coach's performance:

1) Overall win-loss record

2) Weekly selections

3) Pre game tactics

4) Match day tactics - including the ability to react in game day conditions, and the opposition coach.

5) Brand of football

6) Mid week and after game press conferences

7) Focus on youth - the omissions of White, Yze, Holland, Carroll

I avoided the option of 'don't know' as I want people to jump off the fence and voice their opinion on our coach.

Please expand on your answer!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like to hear what the general view of Bailey is at the moment. There a couple of posters who are dead against him, many posters sitting on the fence while a select few are putting their 100% faith in Bailey and his process.

2) Weekly selections

3) Pre game tactics

4) Match day tactics - including the ability to react in game day conditions, and the opposition coach.

5) Brand of football

I avoided the option of 'don't know' as I want people to jump off the fence and voice their opinion on our coach.

Yes, I am satisfied. For now.

Purely cos its far too early to judge ANY coach, particularly given the list he inherited.

Granted, in 2 seasons time, he may be judged as having been rubbish. But its simply too early to make that call on any coach.

At least in the media he says the right things, is a good spruiker when he needs to be. Has that enigmatic quality that i like.

But in my mind he needs to get results this year - not necessarily wins, but at least some competitiveness, more youth development and I want to see the players fully grasp the gameplan.

And i'm willing to say anyone who is willing to judge Bailey already needs to stop and have a look at themselves.

This begs the question; what you are implying is that we are unsatisfied with Bailey. After one year in the job, and having made no great gaffes, why would we consider that he is doing a bad job?

If 2008 was a 'normal' year, I'd agree with your criteria.

Keeping it simple I think Bailey is a good coach.

I also think he will shown be a great coach.

I second that.

If 2008 was a 'normal' year, I'd agree with your criteria.

Keeping it simple I think Bailey is a good coach.

I also think he will shown be a great coach.

This is the way i have always felt. I remember Nathan Bourke speaking after the selection. He was genuinely knocked out by Baileys preparation & presentation.

We have a very good coach at Melbourne. We need the other pieces..

I think many of your criteria are unfair in an assessment of Baileys current position.

cannot be used seriously considering injuries and the state of the list. given that he is obviously charged with instigating a culture change around the place we could never expect a positive in this area.

3) Pre game tactics

4) Match day tactics

5) Brand of football

These criteria are subjective and there is no real way of knowing anything about these from the outside. The players have stated that they are not playing like he asks them too so how could the supporters judge his 'brand of football' or 'tactics'?

Match day tactics perhaps you could give him points for playing Garland on Franklin or scenarios like that, but with the quality of our team and list it is hard to make any reasonable judgements.

well even the best coaches just roll out the cliches so I am not sure why we should judge him on this...

2) Weekly selections

Possibly the only place we can judge him because these are definitives, but even then we dont know what is going on behind the scenes, (ie attitude, injuries, individual goals, team rules etc).

What he has done is given young kids a chance, eclared that he is going to build a team from the bottom up and given players more than one week in a row to adjust to afl.

i think he has done alright considering the circumstances, players seem to be developing, he doesnt have the same favourites as in the past (although i am sure he has some, all coaches would) and hopefully as a team we are moving forward.

We need to give him a few years and see how we compare.

The performance of the club in rd 22 still lingers in the back of my head.

We lost by 80 points that day to RICHMOND :wacko: . Do people know how utterly disgraceful that effort was? The boys looked completely disinterested. Clearly they were more interested in what was to follow that night, but surely Bailey would have been able to recognise this and correctly nullify it.

Tatically I find it annoying how he is so quick to chuck a spare man in defense. Were a young side with no KKP forward line player and we don't have the skill going forward to hit up targets. Were going to get thrashed anyway why not lets our kids play one on one footy and at least give them a chance to score when we go forward. It's clear that we get as much as the ball as the opposition teams do (breaking well over 400 possesions each match) but simply were always kicking the ball to our oppositions spare man i.e. Andrew Mackie V Geelong.

I like the fact that Bailey is completely dedicated to implementing a gameplan that he wants unfortunately in 2008 he didn't have the cattle to execute it as such. I'll put this year down to a learning curve for him.

The performance of the club in rd 22 still lingers in the back of my head.

We lost by 80 points that day to RICHMOND :wacko: . Do people know how utterly disgraceful that effort was? The boys looked completely disinterested. Clearly they were more interested in what was to follow that night, but surely Bailey would have been able to recognise this and correctly nullify it.

Given the squad they had to choose from and given how tough the year that had been on the team the result was neither surprising nor unusual. How would he have been able to correctly nullify the situation given the state of the year and with the tools he had?

Tatically I find it annoying how he is so quick to chuck a spare man in defense. Were a young side with no KKP forward line player and we don't have the skill going forward to hit up targets. Were going to get thrashed anyway why not lets our kids play one on one footy and at least give them a chance to score when we go forward. It's clear that we get as much as the ball as the opposition teams do (breaking well over 400 possesions each match) but simply were always kicking the ball to our oppositions spare man i.e. Andrew Mackie V Geelong.

You dont like big thrashing but you dont like throwing an extra man in defence is designed to limit the downside? Gotcha. In most of the games this year we got carved up in the midfield from centre bounce early. So the spare man in defence was one play to stem the tide. And you have undone your evidence about number of possessions by realising the quality (or lack of) quality in them. Possessions in today's football are cheap. Its what you do with the ball when you get it.

The players have stated that they are not playing like he asks them too

I've made it clear how I feel about Bailey as a coach, but even the most ardent apologist can understand that the above comment is an indictment on the coach.

Either he can't get the message across, or what he's trying to teach is beyond the players capabilities. Either way, the buck stops with him.

I've made it clear how I feel about Bailey as a coach, but even the most ardent apologist can understand that the above comment is an indictment on the coach.

Not necessarily although no doubt you would like it be.

Either he can't get the message across, or what he's trying to teach is beyond the players capabilities. Either way, the buck stops with him.

Or either young players take consistent reinforcement and practice to develop the skill sets necessary to play competitive football.

In the longer term Bailey will be judged on his success or failure. However if you join a Club and what you are trying to teach the players is beyond the players capabiilties then it is a good indication that the some or many of the players need to go. And this process has started.

the message is getting across because the players realise they aren't doing it right.

the coach is in charge and he tells players how to play. if they dont do it, they go. he is trying to build a young side and mould them into his style of play. if old players who have had 10 years of a different style dont get it, its a not a surprise and b not a loss, because they can get the sack.

the kids dont have the courage or experience to take the game on consistently yet - they belted every week. give them time, give him time, to teach the plan properly.

the players need to take responsibility for failing to adhere to a game plan.

If he coached to the player's abilities this year they wouldh've been kicking it off the ground. He's trying to improve the gameplan that was shown ineffective by the last coach, who also tried to change it only to find what cattle he had left standing couldn't run or carry, or kick, handball or mark for that mattter. The buck does stop with him and I'd say he's prepared to back himself and his plan going forward. After 1 year so am I.

Agree - I'm far from convinced but hope like hell I'm wrong

Funny really....we hardly ever expect a player to come right in and set the world alight and many suppose a new coach will ??

I expect to see a second season Bailey a lot more effective, feet settled, more informed and possibly far more savvy to just what this bunch might attain. He'll be setting sail in 09 with a different looking group. If not a lot comes of it then ...and only then will I wonder to his ability.

I can wait.

2) Weekly selections

3) Pre game tactics

5) Brand of football

I would consider these things to precede the above points.

1. A culture of excellence and hardness

2. Compiling a team capable and willing to play as a team

3. Player development

4. List management/talent identification

5. Leadership development

6. Communication skills with members and supporters, media and players and staff

These are factors that I see being addressed by bailey and co. If addressed successfully, results will start to come.

I would consider these things to precede the above points.

1. A culture of excellence and hardness

2. Compiling a team capable and willing to play as a team

3. Player development

4. List management/talent identification

5. Leadership development

6. Communication skills with members and supporters, media and players and staff

These are factors that I see being addressed by bailey and co. If addressed successfully, results will start to come.

well said.

Yep - he strikes me as a good coach. We are an ordinary club with no facilities and no genuine stars nor good senior players. We have some good juniors though and our list is not that bad but still needs tweaking and improvement. He recognises that and is trying to turn this slow moving dreadnaught around. I reckon (with proper support from supporters and MFC management) he'll do it too ...

2) Weekly selections

3) Pre game tactics

5) Brand of football

I had this discussion for a moment with Hannabal a week or two ago, and found it interesting how people were quick to crucify DB after 22 rounds...

1) Overall win/loss record is next-to unimportant. At the most it is of secondary importance. Win/Loss will come into it probably from 2010 onwards.

2) His weekly selections are something I've been happy with. We're not looking at players kick ass in the VFL and wondering why they're not getting a look in. The young guys are given multiple weeks to dig themselves into a niche... and even when they have a solid spot in the side, they are dropped if they're not performing... a la Bate and Jones. So far I reckon he's shown that regardless of your name, you have to prove your worth selecting. It puts pressure on the players, discourages front-running... Perhaps it's not going to win too many games in the short-mid term, but it's a good place to start, and a good work ethic to instill early in the careers of these young kids.

3) ????? Like what?

4) This is where I'm a bit nervous. I've not seen too much inspiration. At the moment I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, as he has very little cattle to work with. The Freo game where he had effective defenders, a CHF and FF working as well as they've ever worked together, small forwards that were cutting the legs out of the opposition... That day he seemed to be able, with players doing their jobs, to construct a DEVASTATING structure with virtually nothing to work with. One good day out of 22 though? There just isn't enough rough data yet to make any definitive analysis. Even if he's not performing yet as a match-day coach, who's to say he won't get better?

5) His brand of football, as above is just not existent yet. Sheedy's brand of football leant heavily on his names. What I hope is that when (hopefully) we get our required 3 or so stars, DB can construct a brand around them. A big ask you might say, but he has to be given the opportunity.

6) You mean what he says and how he says it? I like the cut of his jib, but I think this is the kind of thing that is more easily analysed when we're a serious side, which we're not.

7) Yep. I was stunned that we won ANY games given the kind of ages he's working with. He's going to cop it over the next 3 years, and people are going to call for his head. The question is will they get their way? Or will he be the next Clarkson? Or worse yet, will he just leg it to another club as soon as we make the finals again?

I agree its too early to call, but i do like his no nonsense attitude towards the playing group (something i felt Daniher was a bit soft at times) and has resulted in most of the team coming back in better shape "than expected" to preseason training which i thought i was impressive.

As far as on-field performances go, I highly doubt any coach in the league could have produced a significantly more successful outcome in 2008

For 2009 i would consider it a successful year for Bailey if he can produce 3 things:

- instill bit more confidence among the players

- better use of the footy, or more specifically, reduce the constant bloody ineffective handballing

- extra win or 2 on the board

Let us not forget to that Bailey came to melbourne late last year & thus did not have a full pre-season to adjust to the club. Going into next year he will so Hopefully that will be an improvement factor in itself.

Let us not forget to that Bailey came to melbourne late last year & thus did not have a full pre-season to adjust to the club. Going into next year he will so Hopefully that will be an improvement factor in itself.

But he was appointed before round 22 of 2007. Therefore he did have the full pre season??