Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Official 2009 Draw

Neita3000

Carlton, on the other hand, a side that has not distinguished itself in any fashion for eight or nine years, will play on a Sunday on only four occasions in 2009, enjoy six Friday nights and have 16 matches broadcast free-to-air.

That's what I don't understand. They haven't played finals since 2001, they only won 10 games this year, and they get the second best draw of all the clubs, including St Kilda, who made a Preliminary Final (and have done so on three occassions since Carlton last played a final).

I don't really care about our draw, but it's hard to stomach when you see other clubs getting gifts from the AFL whilst we struggle.

It's a chicken and egg kind of thing here: some may say you need to perform well on the field in order to be rewarded with a decent fixture (examples being Hawthorn, Geelong and basically most premiers). Others may argue that you need a stable member base and sponsors for the AFL to look kindly upon you (the obvious example being Collingwood).

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are the bottom side and have been treated accordingly. As we improve we will have grounds for demanding better.

This is where I have an issue. It's the acceptance that this is our lot when in reality it's a completely compromised competition.

Ask North Melbourne, Footscray, and the Saints, if the "grounds for demanding better" are paid anything more than lip service. And if it was a fair competition, why would you need to "demand better" ? But that's the problem, isn't it ? You and everyone else knows that it's not fair. You also know that nothing is going to change. So, there's nothing more to do other than accept that it is what it is and get on with it.

It would be very easy to lose interest in football, which unfortunately puts a club like Melbourne in an even more parlous state.

Ok, so in 2-3 years time when we are back playing well we should be expecting 4 Friday nights, and much less Sunday games. And when we don't, which i fully expect to happen, i wonder what their line will be?

"We feel that Melbourne needs to have a sustained period of success and attain pulling power before we remove them from the Sunday fixtures"

I swear i reckon the AFL's just keeping us on life-support deliberately so that in a few years if they need a team to relocate, we either stay and get taken off the CBF (and most likely die), or we relocate to wherever they want us to go. Throw us a f&*$ing a bone!

The problem is comments like schwabs in a sense, while I agree in a way the likes of eddie, carlton etc would be screaming unfair in the media and all over the joint, and whilst it could be seen as whinging it would get the job done, we seem to just sit back and say well there is nothing we can do.

We need to get out in the media and say

" the draw is really a fixture, with the first three letters being the most important "FIX" cos that's what this is to the MFC a fix, they have fixed so we get the smallest exposure the worst draw and play over half the season on a day we have repeatedly asked not too. This is fixed so that small clubs get given nothing regardless of where they finish on the ladder whilst maximizing their profits from other "bigger" clubs. How are the smaller clubs suppose to compete on this "level" playing field the AFL have created with their salary cap and draft that is so compromised with their fixture that it makes a mockery to even have the others in place."

I would rather our club come out and get fined telling the truth and sticking up for themselves than rolling over and copping it, it's for reasons like this I look at our club as a dying species, I truly believe that we will crumble and fall due to things like minimal exposure on free to air, minimal good rating time slots all the while trying to convince a sponsor to get on board and give us the same sort of $$$ that other clubs get.

The AFL are a joke.

Vlad is a weak gutted muppet who folds to the McGuires of this world and is happy to kick the smaller clubs. I have no doubt he wants the likes on Melbourne, North and the Bullies dead within 20 years.

There is nothing they can "spin" that will make me feel any different, we ould be top of the ladder for 2 years running and win both flags and still would not get a better or as good as deal as the filth or even carltank.

Is there another competition any where in the world that runs on such a flawed system?

To Vlad, his anal puppet anderson and any other muppet at the AFL may you reap what you have sown. I wish I believed in karma so I would know you would get paid back for all the crap you force upon the smaller clubs and not creating a level playing field.

Ha. Who are you kidding? I mean apart from yourself, f_cking oath we should be greatful for the QB game. Melbourne and Collingwood's day? Since when, it's not like it's a 50 year tradition, it's only been going for about a decade and should they choose to they could just give it to a team. And don't give me any crap about it being our idea, i dont even know if it was, but North pioneered friday night footy and now the AFL gives them jack for it now.

Your head is fairly & squarely in the head of the gift horse or in some other dark, damp place

As much as they try to pretend it does, tradition means very little to the AFL as a business, we should thank our lucky stars that the AFL doesn't give that game to 2 teams who could get 80,000+ every year without fail, because that makes the best business sense.

Mate, you totally miss the point. On your (il)logic, it would make more business sense that the AFL f*cks us off out of the competition, because we are costing it money and hey, it would make the best business sense. The Kangas should be axed as well, and all games should be played at Telstra Dome on week nights in order to sell expensive tickets to the elite, and garner the most out of the TV dollar. That's what I would do if it's a pure business decision. But it's not, and we should not accept that it is. We have been playing QB for 10 years. Yes, it's a great game to get, but that doesn't mean you go thanking the AFL for it. Have some pride. So because we are struggling, we "deserve" to be shafted with the draw, the corporate dollar, crowds? Vicious circle?

Not to mention, the AFL was set up by the clubs, for the clubs. It is totally false to create a fixture based around anything other than equity. Yes, there are some compromises, but as others have said, the notion that you "earn" a better draw based on your performance the previous year or your pulling power means that the weak get weaker. Every bone in our MFC bodies should be outraged.

Vlad is a weak gutted muppet who folds to the McGuires of this world and is happy to kick the smaller clubs. I have no doubt he wants the likes on Melbourne, North and the Bullies dead within 20 years.

I agree with 99% of that except I like Maguire. He actually wants the struggling clubs to survive....

Agreed 100%, furthermore, I think if the club stood up to it and called the "draw" for what it is, it may help to unify the supporters.

Even the tagline of this thread, "The AFL is trying to kill off our club," whilst possibly over the top and perhaps even incorrect, gave me tingles. I'd love the club to start developing an us against them attitude, where we have to fight for each other simply to survive.

Guest fatty
I agree with 99% of that except I like Maguire. He actually wants the struggling clubs to survive....

………but obviously not to the detriment of his own club. I suspect Eddie likes it just the way it is.

He is complicit in the AFL’s mismanagement.

It was a couple of years back, but there was a time when Eddie announced the impending doom of other AFL clubs with something bordering on gloating - like Jeff Kennet has this year, and the Adelaide President, whoeverheis. But he has mellowed a little bit since then.

The mantle of biggest d$#head has definately passed to dear old Jeffrey K, who this year explicitly announced that Melbourne would have to move to the Gold Coast no matter what happened... while half the Demon's leadership group was at the next table at the function he was addressing... and he knew it.

He also stated that Hawthorn won the premiership and was a powerful club because their staff worked harder than the staff at the Bulldogs or North. Charming.

This fixture gives us moral impunity to annoy the AFL. I once again propose the round 1 'Jeff Kennet is a bastard' themed game against North Melbourne, and set ourselves for drawing a record crowd.

I like Eddie too, I would love it if he was a Melbourne supporter, What I meant by that is the AFL is suppose to be equal on all clubs, but they are not, Vlad would listen to all clubs but I bet he would do more things that Eddie, Pratt and those like them than he would for a smorgon, brayshaw etc.

I'd love our banner on round 1 to be "THE AFL CREATING A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD..... I'D LIKE TO SEE THAT!"

Guest fatty
He also saved the Dogs pretty much didn't he?

Did he? I have no recollection.

If there was a word for a person that uses the misfortune of others to champion his own cause, then I would use it to describe Edward Maguire.

I wish he barracked for Melbourne too.

The mantle of biggest d$#head has definately passed to dear old Jeffrey K, who this year explicitly announced that Melbourne would have to move to the Gold Coast no matter what happened... while half the Demon's leadership group was at the next table at the function he was addressing... and he knew it.

Jeff was a smart politician and i think he knew EXACTLY what he was doing by belittling MFC that day. The hawks were hot favourites and at the time it looked like we were in for a poor turnout.

I myself was expecting a thumping and although i planned to attend, i was largely apathetic.

In one swift speech he managed to fire up a proud and passionate supporter base that until then was sleepwalking.

In my eyes, he was willing to look like an [censored] to help us out, cos he knew we damn well needed it.

Maybe i'm giving him far too much credit, but i think his intelligence is underrated by a lot of people. He's a politician fcs!

He knows how the media works & he plays it like a harp.

Same with all the arrogant end of season stuff he said - he is fostering a hatred & a rivalry with other clubs, in a game that many think is far too sanitized and lacking this exact aspect.

Either way, whether Jeff means it or not, I love the effect he has on the game.

Demons flogged before a bounce

Check out Carltanks draw. Been bottom or near bottom for 8 or 9 years. '09 they "will play on a Sunday on only four occasions in 2009, enjoy six Friday nights and have 16 matches broadcast free-to-air. "

Saints have gone backwards with respect to the draw, despite having made a prelim in '09.

Conclusion: a good draw has nothing to do with succeeding on the field.

Demons flogged before a bounce

Check out Carltanks draw. Been bottom or near bottom for 8 or 9 years. '09 they "will play on a Sunday on only four occasions in 2009, enjoy six Friday nights and have 16 matches broadcast free-to-air. "

Saints have gone backwards with respect to the draw, despite having made a prelim in '09.

Conclusion: a good draw has nothing to do with succeeding on the field.

A possible conclusion, but Hawthorn would disagree. I think Hawthorn got improvements on their draw based on their success this year.

However, you're right in that Carlton and St Kilda seem to have been the biggest winners/losers in terms of their 2008 seasons. Nothing the AFL says will justify Carlton's fixture in my mind.

On a positive note our interstate travel schedule is excellent.

When was the last time we only travelled to Perth and Adelaide once in a season. Try never since Port came in. We also don't travel to the SCG and we play St kilda in a neutral venue on the Gold Coast.

Also the final 5 games in melbourne is like a dream come true. Too bad we won't be able to reap the rewards.

Rounds 1 and 22 are home games, which will increase the gate takings.

And Collingwood on Queens Birthday is like 2 Friday night games.

Stop sooking guys, suck it up and get on with 2009.

"Earn" a good draw, what a crock. I suppose the Hawks should play the bottom 7 twice, Cats bottom 6 twice etc.

Perhaps, the Hawks should have 17 home games because they won 17 last year?

Joke! I didn't see Carlton earn their draw last year... *cough* Chris Judd *cough*

The AFL is a disgrace. No team should have to "earn" a good draw, the league should provide an even competition for its teams.

you've got it wrong there mate.

we have a good draw in footballing terms.

we dont have a good draw in terms of financial or exposure.

on field, we have one of the best football draws we have had for years. its just a pity its come in a year when we prob wont be a challenger for finals. A draw like this in 04-06 would have resulted in us finishing on top. The last 5 games at the g? remember what happened in those years.

if we win 6 games in the first 15 rounds next year we are still a good chance of scraping into 8th with the draw we have.

Correct. The Draw gets more lopsided each year & with 18 teams its a complete joke!!!!

Or at least 3 times every 2 years. Take Essendon for example about MFC getting screwed finacially. 2008 Ess home game at our home ground? 2009 Ess home game at Telstra to maximise there profit with a crowd of over 40,000 expected.

Or at least 3 times every 2 years. Take Essendon for example about MFC getting screwed finacially. 2008 Ess home game at our home ground? 2009 Ess home game at Telstra to maximise there profit with a crowd of over 40,000 expected.

Essendon have had an unbelievably brilliant deal at Telstra since it opened. They were the First to sign up to the Dump, & therefore manage to have a good deal on anything sold there. The Kind of deal we lost at the MCG in the 80's & must try to get back.