Cam Bruce Captain?

Yencks

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would assume that's referring to 2008 where Bruce was basically our captain.

i know thats probably the case

but as it stands, be it co or not

cam bruce is captain

and i couldnt tell whether that article was good or bad news

agreed yze magic will lose his block

I think that's well and truly happened already!

i know thats probably the case

but as it stands, be it co or not

cam bruce is captain

and i couldnt tell whether that article was good or bad news

I think it was supposed to be saying that Melbourne players shouldn't have attended a function put on by the group funding most of it's - still contested - Casey expansion, the idea being that a football club shouldn't take sides in a community row. So I suppose it's bad news.

And on the topic of Cameron Bruce, who here really thought that any other choice would really have been made? Brucie is already our Captain, plus he's the only guy who played every game this year. The footy world obviously holds him in higher regard than his supporters do.

Given Brock McLean's off-field antics and Brad Green's fleeting desire to leave the Club, I was sure that, despite what we all want, neither they nor Brad Miller (my personal favourite) were going to get the job.

Having said that, I don't think a decision has been reached yet. I think Bruce and J-Mac are still acting captains until an actual announcement is made.

Guest Schtacker

If Bruce is made Captain I will spew, then I will break something, then I will sit down and cry, then I will spew again

I respect his career but absolutely should not be captain

Since Green made his loyalties and love for the club perfectly clear recently there is only ONE candidate - only ONE who can possibly get it, and we all know who that is

If Bruce is made Captain I will spew, then I will break something, then I will sit down and cry, then I will spew again

I respect his career but absolutely should not be captain

Since Green made his loyalties and love for the club perfectly clear recently there is only ONE candidate - only ONE who can possibly get it, and we all know who that is

Yep.. Bell'y

eek dont tell yze magic!

but in all seriouse if he is our captain that is a very very poor choice by the melbourne football club :angry:

agreed yze magic will lose his block

Yeah. Cos THAT'S important...

I do have to say though, that is one thing I agree with Y_M on. I don't think Bruce is a captain... and would be so clearly an interim captain that he'll be given as hard a time as Vandenberg a few years ago...

For that reason, it's Brock as #1 for me (probably still too early), then Green (He's earned it, and if you're going to have an interim captain, have it be someone with some toughness), Then Macca (He's VERY old, which would give me concerns about him making it onto the park, but he's got the respect, career, and he's earned it).

Oh and PLEASE no dual-captains...

Yeah... sorry, forgot to mention Miller...

His indiscretions over the past few years have made me doubt him... If he had put two years together, or maybe three of the quality of this year... Then maybe I'd put him in the list. And I would suggest that the footy department and board would feel the same. At this time last year he was looking like he was in trouble.

this states that cam bruce is captain

He is - old news!

i have a feeling that him and macca will stay on as captains next year

I hope your feeling isn't based on that article.

It certainly brings nothing new to the table when it comes to the 2009 captaincy debate.

If Bruce is appointed captain for 2009, it would be disappointing because it would be an uninspired choice. The same thing applies to Junior and Green.

We seem serious about reshaping our club, and building something really strong with our young group of players. Appointing a senior player in the position of captain, seems to really go against the entire plan, especially since we don't have a standout senior player who should or could really lead our players down the right path (such as Neita).

I have, just tonight, renewed my wife and my memberships, and will be totally supporting Cameron Bruce as captain for 2009.

I'm comfortable, ready, willing, and waiting for a monumental 2009. We can only improve folks!! Onward and upward!!

He is - old news!

I hope your feeling isn't based on that article.

It certainly brings nothing new to the table when it comes to the 2009 captaincy debate.

Agree. That article is just based on who is currently captain. In fact a more accurate article would have had "Co-Captain Cameron Bruce".

As for next season, 2009. I believe the club should make a statement- enough of this already debate that McLean is not ready or has had off field discretions, those issues are long gone.

I believe the mfc's statement to the football world should be - having been through one of, if not the worst year for the club - to present a new Leader, Brock McLean.

It's an inspired choice.

A fresh start.

A new young group of players.

A new Dawn.

A new Era.

We have had the early start to training.

We will have our new draft picks on board including No.1 Jack Watts.

We will have PSD no.1 on board.

We will have new sponsors.

We will have a new summer training base.

We will have a new clash jumper.

And IMO we SHOULD have a new leader with a strong on-field presence - along with a STRONG name in Brock McLean.

Now if these aren't all good reasons - even for potentially new sponsors to jump on board - for the mfc club to make a stand and gain some respect back along with a strong showing on the field....well then I'm an aunty's uncle!

If Bruce is captain, we will be the laughing stock of the league. I'll be furious, as will the majority of supporters. Can't see Bailey giving it to Brock, so give it to Bradley Miller!

Yeah, his record over the past 9 seasons is pretty poor. Considering he was drafted at a lowly no.64 he has underperformed. Just look at his poor contribution to the MFC. 2000 Rising Star Nominee, 2002 Runner Up B&F (in a year that we made the finals), 2002 Best TEAM player, 2003 Best CLUBMAN, 2004 4th B&F, 2006 Runner Up B&F ( We made the finals again), 2008 Winner B&F. He was also voted as Melbourne's Player of the Year by Demon supporters. This year he was elected captain (together with Junior) by the PLAYERS themselves! They should know Brucie much more than any of us. Just what does a bloke have to do to satisfy you and a the other Bruce knockers on this forum? Get real!

Yeah, his record over the past 9 seasons is pretty poor. Considering he was drafted at a lowly no.64 he has underperformed. Just look at his poor contribution to the MFC. 2000 Rising Star Nominee, 2002 Runner Up B&F (in a year that we made the finals), 2002 Best TEAM player, 2003 Best CLUBMAN, 2004 4th B&F, 2006 Runner Up B&F ( We made the finals again), 2008 Winner B&F. He was also voted as Melbourne's Player of the Year by Demon supporters. This year he was elected captain (together with Junior) by the PLAYERS themselves! They should know Brucie much more than any of us. Just what does a bloke have to do to satisfy you and a the other Bruce knockers on this forum? Get real!

Fair call and no [censored]. Still, it might be time for a new wave. Mclean.

The reason we have been a joke for 45 years is supporters like you who accept medicority.

It makes me sick.

Dont worry though Bobby, you definitely arent alone.

I would say that 98% of our supporter base have no idea about what it takes to become a successful club.

Thank Christ I am in the 2% and not one of the clueless ones.

The reason we have been a joke for 45 years is supporters like you who accept medicority.

It makes me sick.

I would say that 98% of our supporter base have no idea about what it takes to become a successful club.

Did you just get home mate? We've missed your 2% of value.

It makes me sick.

Don't tell US how good you are YM. Tell Bailey and Co. It's no good telling us as we can't influence MFC thinking. Go on mate ring ,email all those coaches and FORMER PLAYERS who know so liitle about the game of football and give them your gems of wisdom. Be direct and don't hide behind your Yze Magic tag. It would be very interesting to hear their response to your bleatings. Not very favourable I'm afraid. Also, WATTS going to happen when we make our draft pick # ONE? Be prepared for more disappointment. But then again, we only accept mediocracy according to YOU.

If Bruce is appointed captain for 2009, it would be disappointing because it would be an uninspired choice. The same thing applies to Junior and Green.

We seem serious about reshaping our club, and building something really strong with our young group of players. Appointing a senior player in the position of captain, seems to really go against the entire plan, especially since we don't have a standout senior player who should or could really lead our players down the right path (such as Neita).

I would agree except that in some cases interim captains have worked really well. And to be honest, out of the older guys on the list named here (except Miller) they probably wouldn't be looked at as captain for more than a year, maybe two tops. And next year CERTAINLY won't be a big one for the club. Seems like a perfect time to put in a caretaker.

Brilliant, non thinking Jaded! So we appoint a younger player to preside over the seniors. Try that in the Armed Forces. Admiral of the Fleet goes to a 22 year old. Yeah, that would inspire all the older, longer serving sailors. What about appointing the school Head Prefect from Year 9? That would really impress all those in Years 10, 11 and 12. This might seem nonsense but basically that is what you are suggesting. Your boyfriend Brock will get his turn IN DUE COURSE. (When he has earned his stripes.) To maintain team harmony you must give the captaincy to a more senior player in the group. Can you think of any really young AFL captains at the moment? I certainly cannot.

Can you think of any really young AFL captains at the moment? I certainly cannot.

Coll - Nick Maxwell - tipped to be appointed

Carl - Chris Judd 24

Ess - David Hille

To name a few.

But Bobby, every side is at a different stage. Chris Judd was a captain for West Coast when they won a premiership. StKilda had given players an opportunity as captain at a young age. Look there is nothing wrong with going with the status quo, but with all the changes happening its a prime opportunity to get a year into a young up & coming leader in McLean. He's been around a while now McLean and is currently our strongest as well as best player.

It's respect, not age that matters. I know JMac is respected for his desperation, but I think Brock is also be respected for putting his body in. That game against Brisbane at the G proved the point that he is desperate. Played on one leg and helped win the game. Fairly typical of the man. Slow, but gutsy, a silent assassin. He is proving to be clubman in many ways.

He is a team man, and I think he would grow quickly into the job. This is why I am happy for him to be Vice to Bruce this year. He will definitely be captain next year.