disgraceful trade period

Red and Blue Flame

disgraceful for the MFC

for a club who sad they are trying to base themselves on hawthorn- picks 1,17,19 and 35 won't do as much as what it could've for the club had we

A) realised brad greens trade value and actually traded him rather than wanting him to sign for 2 years of consistent footy that would achieve no premiership success- an let him go to a club that would have a chance

B ) realised that hawthorn were ruthless in this situation, and we shouldve traded wheatley, cj, jamar, bell- who all attracted interested from more than 1 club respectively.

a poor week from the club

and it obviously means no more delistings

which means players like bartram and carroll are still on the list

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B ) realised that hawthorn were ruthless in this situation, and we shouldve traded wheatley, cj, jamar, bell- who all attracted interested from more than 1 club respectively.

I know, we should of traded pick 35 and Bell for Port's pick 4. :rolleyes:

Your lack of basic football knowledge scares me.

Guest IKTPQMCR
disgraceful for the MFC

for a club who sad they are trying to base themselves on hawthorn- picks 1,17,19 and 35 won't do as much as what it could've for the club had we

A) realised brad greens trade value and actually traded him rather than wanting him to sign for 2 years of consistent footy that would achieve no premiership success- an let him go to a club that would have a chance

which means robots like bartram and carroll are still on the list

like i have said in other threads, we are pathetic right now and a laughing stock

also having players like carroll and bell on 250K + is bloody insane

one bloke has 1 good year and picks up a contract like that?...

and the other never proven anything and still able to have a pay packet like that??wtf

although i must ask you why do you say bartram being a robot? i don't think he's that bad,

we have alot worse than him still there

Guest red and blue thru n thru

So angry, Dont understand why we didnt gain more pics and trade of players that are useless and that will not be here when we are accualy final contenders.

Dont we have the balls to takes risks and get pics and tell players that there not wanted.

I know, we should of traded pick 35 and Bell for Port's pick 4. :rolleyes:

Your lack of basic football knowledge scares me.

He just merely confirmed it.

Only about six trades went through in total. One of those (Warnock was pre ordained).

Hardly any of them substantial.

Trade week is hugely overrated.

Some posters like this thread's author get carried away with their trade fantasies and have no iota of knowledge of the process nor what actually went on.

disgraceful for the MFC

Nearly as disgraceful as some of the puss you've been posting over the last couple of weeks. Trade week is massively overated and i'm glad we didn't trade. Some of the hype/scenario's posted on this site have been pathetic.

disgraceful for the MFC

BB,

With GC17 coming in, our task of acquiring good draft picks was made very difficult. That proposed Wheatley to Sydney for pick 30 deal was a comedic supernova. As was discussed well before trade week, Hawthorn in a way has made it difficult for the clubs that have tried to copy their method, as other clubs have looked at their trades and learnt from them. Who wants to be the club that gives us the number 1 pick for Trent Croad now? Or good picks for players like Hay, Rawlings and Thompson? We did realise Brad Green's trading value, but he refused to go to Sydney, and Collingwood's insulting offers were never going to get the job done. While we knew his value, other clubs didn't meet that realisation.

I'd have liked to have picked up deals for the likes of Wheatley, CJ, Jamar and Bell too, but we'd have received very little in return - it'd have been the same as delisting them since we likely won't pick past 51 if we even use that pick. Keep in mind that if we had traded Jamar we'd have had to trade for another ruckman (Taylor, Seaby) which would have meant overall our draft position would have suffered for lttle gain.

He just merely confirmed it.

Only about six trades went through in total. One of those (Warnock was pre ordained).

Hardly any of them substantial.

Trade week is hugely overrated.

Some posters like this thread's author get carried away with their trade fantasies and have no iota of knowledge of the process nor what actually went on.

Totally agree RR. There was not much to trade for. Draft day will be our test. Why swap crap for crap. Warnock 400 k untested!!! We shall see. I believe we already have the better Warnock

Melbourne's Trade Week in summation:

We all took a jump to the Left....and then a step to the Right...Took two steps forward...three steps back and fell over landing exactly where we started !! lol

Am disapointed as a few genuine opportunites obviously werent ordained; such is life.

As a positve...we didnt get another Meesen !! :rolleyes: lol

Will be interesting to see if any 'gems' show up in the PSD

Without doubt a handful of near misses will be recorded, but in the end...all for nothing

ahh well !! :huh:

So angry, Dont understand why we didnt gain more pics and trade of players that are useless and that will not be here when we are accualy final contenders.

Dont we have the balls to takes risks and get pics and tell players that there not wanted.

They tried ffs. That was their intention. What do you want them to do? Have them had their pants pulled down by getting rid of Jamar for pick 80+, Or Bell for 60+??? Other sides enquired about them but they held back because of their own obvious circumstances. Ie Their own list (which are arguably better than Melbourne's list) and the quality of the draft. They knew their current players were better than what mfc were prepared to offer!!

Guest red and blue thru n thru
They tried ffs. That was their intention. What do you want them to do? Have them had their pants pulled down by getting rid of Jamar for pick 80+, Or Bell for 60+??? Other sides enquired about them but they held back because of their own obvious circumstances. Ie Their own list (which are arguably better than Melbourne's list) and the quality of the draft. They knew their current players were better than what mfc were prepared to offer!!

As if no ones was interested in our players.

Just one example of a player i wouldnt mind getting rid of Daniel Bell

As if portadelaide werent interested.

with tanking next year and getting pick 1,2,18 we will be basing our self's on hawthorn

Has the Club said it was tanking?

As if no ones was interested in our players.

Just one example of a player i wouldnt mind getting rid of Daniel Bell

As if portadelaide werent interested.

They weren't.....Period.

Do we need to try to tank?

A wise poster wrote elsewhere that if we are three wins from 5 games we should maximise our opportunities. If we are 3 wins from 15 games then we should really maxmise our opportunities. He's right and we did not do that in 2007 and it will cost us.

I just dont accept that MFC will automatically tank next year despite the unfounded cynicism of some. They may not be good enough to win many games and thats possible. But its disappointing to think we would tank a year before it starts. Unnecessarily defeatist.

The progression of our list will have a big say in these outcomes.

I think it is a positive trade week, we didn't lose any picks on a ruckman that is unproven, and a midfileder that has just has a full knee reconstruction, neither of which wanted to play for Melbourne. We through up some names no club could give us the deal we wanted so we walked away. We already have 6 spots on our list to bring in players, one will be Aussie, that leaves 5 new players 4 of them in the top 40 in what most are saying in a very good draft. We then get rid of Carroll and hopefully there is a player that we can look to take in the PSD.

Add this to last year we will added 7 players to our list that means in two years we will introduce 13 players plus Valenti(who I think will be rookied again or will take up Carrolls spot) 14 players of a 38 total that is getting close to half you senior list. You only can have so many new players at the club

A wise poster wrote elsewhere that if we are three wins from 5 games we should maximise our opportunities. If we are 3 wins from 15 games then we should really maxmise our opportunities. He's right and we did not do that in 2007 and it will cost us.

I just dont accept that MFC will automatically tank next year despite the unfounded cynicism of some. They may not be good enough to win many games and thats possible. But its disappointing to think we would tank a year before it starts. Unnecessarily defeatist.

The progression of our list will have a big say in these outcomes.

For one, i don't believe Bailey would endorse it ... it may end up better for the club in the long run (MAY).

But it won't do his employment / re-signing opportunities any good

Watch a game of football please...

Brad Green's trade value was probably a second rounder at best, and if you think his ONLY value is what he brings on the field then you have a lot to learn. We have only half-a-dozen guys over the age of 25 (some of them are only just 25, and one of them is Jamar... YIKES!)... You want to trade Green, and then you'll whinge like a mule when our youngsters don't become the players we all think they could be when they're drafted. I have news for you. The reason they don't scale great heights is because they don't have a Voss, Hird, Buckley type hanging around the club to set an example of how it's done. Trading Green for anything over pick 10 would have been a risk.

essendon gave pick 39 for prismall to geelong

surely we would/should have offered pick 35 for him

how nice would have this been

Prismall (35)

PSD 1

I think it says more about the general view of how good Prismall actually is. I've spoken to Geelong people who don't reckon he's that good. Is that REALLY what we need? Another one-paced in and under to push Valenti, Jones or Beamer out of their spots?

with tanking next year and getting pick 1,2,18 we will be basing our self's on hawthorn

Que?

Do you realise how unlikely it is that we'll come last and win less than 4.5 games two years running? I'll admit out list is woeful, but 5 wins is far from beyond them, and they have their pride. In some senses we'd be LUCKY if we could do that badly. Don't think we will though. 6 wins is my prediction, and I'm leaning towards more.

Some people need to realise it is not just as simple as saying we are going to trade Bell, Jamar, Wheatley etc. etc. Very few trades happen.

If Port were interested in Bell, they would have offered a nothing pick, like pick 90, and they would of been scared off by the fact that he is apparently on 250K.

Would of been nice to secure another pick in the top 20, but realistically we sont have anyone who is expendable who could fetch a pick that high (even if you lump a few of our players together)

Picks were obviously very valuable this year which made trades for players like Green extremely difficult to get through, however one thing that this trade period did confirm is our poor reputation. Established players just don't want to come to Melbourne, and this is Bailey's charge going forward. We need to become a club which is successful and attractive to players.

Right now we are a joke, we have alot of work ahead of us to change this.

disgraceful for the MFC

Yeah we should have done all your suggestions.

Rip off every single club by offloading trash for treasure.

Clubs aren't stupid. This is the real world.

For one, i don't believe Bailey would endorse it ... it may end up better for the club in the long run (MAY).

But it won't do his employment / re-signing opportunities any good

No Coach would endorse it.

If its the difference between 4 wins and 5 wins then it should make diddlysquat difference to a Coach's future. However, I would be concerned if a Coach nudged a side a fifth win and penalised his list management opportunities.

I am not sure what message was given to Riley when he was caretaker coach in mid 2007 but the outcome was not good for MFC.

Picks were obviously very valuable this year which made trades for players like Green extremely difficult to get through, however one thing that this trade period did confirm is our poor reputation. Established players just don't want to come to Melbourne, and this is Bailey's charge going forward. We need to become a club which is successful and attractive to players.

Right now we are a joke, we have alot of work ahead of us to change this.

This is the ONLY news to come out of trade week... that and the fact that the club DOES respect Green enough to offer him 3 years, and NOT to trade him for something worthless...

But actually Jarka, I'm not sure it's story of the year, our reputation being crappy. In two years time we'll be the flavour of the month (along with GC17) like Hawthorn and Carlton are now. At that time it'll probably be the Roos, or Pies or someone else who'll take their turn at the bottom with a disgraceful reputation, and players will be lining up to play with Watts, Brock et al...

Its just a matter of time, and best of all, it's temporary. For a time there Carlton was the place no-one wanted to be (Thornton anyone?)... Look at them now.