DRAFT 2008

Bails

Considering our picks positioning i have selected who i think we should and will take in the draft .

1. Watts

17. Mitch Brown

19. Ash Smith

Watts - We all know him

Mitch Brown - Mitch Brown is a different one from the Eagle…he is a Mentone Grammar boy who has grown from 174 to 193+ is 12 months. Kicked 7,7,6,8,7 in 5 games for mentone before 8 in the APS/AGS game. Dragons recruited him mid-season and he played the last 5 games. Diamond in the rough…I want him.

Ash smith - Ash Smith is a Haileybury boy who has had a bit of OP but seems to be alright now. At his peak he would be one of the quickest in the comp with an amazing penetrating kick.

Hasn’t played a heap this year, but will be a jet.

Thats my view and thats what i want.....

Goose, there are many Draft threads already, and many posters or visitors do read them and add their thoughts. The Drafting and Trading Forum has plenty of traffic, which is why it was created by the Moderators.

You will find this will be moved shortly... .

Have a look at these threads:

http://forums.demonland.com/index.php?showforum=18

The last time I looked, APS sucked big hairy ones...

Boofa came from Haileybury and look at what he did...

Having said that Stef Martin comes from Old Haileybury so they can't be all that bad down there. ;D

who is boofa?

and no aps doesn't suck- xav ellis and tomahawk recently out of melbourne grammar- stevie may about to come into the afl system

currents:

brighton grammar- jack watts

carey- jordan lisle

geelong college- ayce cordy

Hailebury: Lynch, Vickery, Smith and another guy

scotch: james strauss

few top 20 draft picks there mate!!! BOOYA

who is boofa?

and no aps doesn't suck- xav ellis and tomahawk recently out of melbourne grammar- stevie may about to come into the afl system

currents:

brighton grammar- jack watts

carey- jordan lisle

geelong college- ayce cordy

Hailebury: Lynch, Vickery, Smith and another guy

scotch: james strauss

few top 20 draft picks there mate!!! BOOYA

To add to the above:

Xavier - Luke Ball, Ted Richards, Jobe Watson

St Kevins - Ryan O'keefe

Scotch - Cyril Rioli

Caulfield - Chris Judd

Yep - heaps of duds there.

I take it you went to a public school Dappa?

Considering our picks positioning i have selected who i think we should and will take in the draft .

1. Watts

17. Mitch Brown

19. Ash Smith

Watts - We all know him

Mitch Brown - Mitch Brown is a different one from the Eagle…he is a Mentone Grammar boy who has grown from 174 to 193+ is 12 months. Kicked 7,7,6,8,7 in 5 games for mentone before 8 in the APS/AGS game. Dragons recruited him mid-season and he played the last 5 games. Diamond in the rough…I want him.

Ash smith - Ash Smith is a Haileybury boy who has had a bit of OP but seems to be alright now. At his peak he would be one of the quickest in the comp with an amazing penetrating kick.

Hasn’t played a heap this year, but will be a jet.

Thats my view and thats what i want.....Brett O'farrel is a bad example he was always pooz

Guest Golgothan
17. Mitch Brown

19. Ash Smith

Good that you have an opinion, but it's unlikely.

Neither Brown or Smith are good enough to be taken inside the top 20. And they won't be

throw in

xavier ellis, tom hawkins, simon bouemmont.... Melbourne grammar

campbell brown, nick gill, tim clarke......... Scotch College

not to bad really

Throw in:

Warrick Capper, Andrew Walker, Stuart Maxfield, Sam Newman, Brett Deledio, Brendan Goddard, Duncan Kellaway, Tim Callan, Lauchlan Henderson, Stewart Loewe, Brett Voss, Jarred Moore, Andrew Thompson, Andrew Gowers, Luke Penny, Chris Scott, Brad Scott, Josh Mahoney, Andrew Schauble, Stephen Powell.

Throw in:

Warrick Capper, Andrew Walker, Stuart Maxfield, Sam Newman, Brett Deledio, Brendan Goddard, Duncan Kellaway, Tim Callan, Lauchlan Henderson, Stewart Loewe, Brett Voss, Jarred Moore, Andrew Thompson, Andrew Gowers, Luke Penny, Chris Scott, Brad Scott, Josh Mahoney, Andrew Schauble, Stephen Powell.

Deledio doesn't count he only went to CGS for a week if that before Richmond got him a tutor. But the APS is definitely one of the best competitions for future talent going around. This is clear with the amount of AFL scouts that go and watch each game.

I still find myself swapping from Rich to Naitanui to Watts for number 1....

Naitanui: I personally have crossed Naitanui off the list. He could be anything, but that's the point. He consistently has gotten less than 10 possies a game all year and has not had a breakout game showcasing his true potential to dominate the afl. His snippets are truely exciting, but to me he is too much of a risk. We cannot afford to stuff up this pick. it is possibly the most imporatnt pick in our history

Rich: For a long time i was leaning towards him. He is a sure-fire gun midfielder. If he's as good as Gibbs, Cooney, Murphy and other no1 pick midfielders then we'd be stoked. and Rich is better than Murphy and Gibbs at the same age, possibly not Cooney. WCE and Geelong have shown that premierships come from star midfields. The prospect of Rich, Mclean, Grimes, Morton, Jones, Buckley is just awesome.

Watts: Now let's get real. Not often do you get your hands on the outstanding KPP in the draft. this guy is clearly a special talent. then comes the fact that we are truely stuffed up forward...... Watts is an answer we could be looking for. imagine if we managed to nab ourselves a Nick Riewoldt type!

So....

Pick 1: Watts

Pick 17 and 19

a few guyz who i think might slip.

Nick Suban: If this guy is still around at 17 (i think he might be) then we should take him! He is twice all australian HBF. Our half backs, espcially Wheatley, consistently get 30 possies with our new game plan. clearly half backs are important to our new style. we have used Whelan, C.Johnson and McDonald across half back alot this year and all 3 probably won't be on the list in 2 years time. Suban will be an awesome, hard, skilled half back flanker. Once again, he has the scores on the board and is a sure-fire bet to become a v good afl player.

Aaron Cornelius: We probabaly need to draft 2 KP forwards this draft. Atm we have one- Miller (Newton=dump). He could be a gun forward this slips a bit. v talented.

Mitch Brown- Similar to Cornelius- could slip through

Tom Swift: if he lasts to 19, this could be a clever risk after 2 safe bets at 1 and 17. Could become the best player in the draft....

Zaharakis- doubt he'll last but i can hope

Guest Golgothan
Pick 17 and 19

a few guyz who i think might slip.

Nick Suban: If this guy is still around at 17 (i think he might be) then we should take him! He is twice all australian HBF. Our half backs, espcially Wheatley, consistently get 30 possies with our new game plan. clearly half backs are important to our new style. we have used Whelan, C.Johnson and McDonald across half back alot this year and all 3 probably won't be on the list in 2 years time. Suban will be an awesome, hard, skilled half back flanker. Once again, he has the scores on the board and is a sure-fire bet to become a v good afl player.

Aaron Cornelius: We probabaly need to draft 2 KP forwards this draft. Atm we have one- Miller (Newton=dump). He could be a gun forward this slips a bit. v talented.

Mitch Brown- Similar to Cornelius- could slip through

Tom Swift: if he lasts to 19, this could be a clever risk after 2 safe bets at 1 and 17. Could become the best player in the draft....

Zaharakis- doubt he'll last but i can hope

I really rate Suban, but i don't think we should use a top pick on a half back flanker. And if we take him as a midfielder then he's a tough in and under player, which isn't what we're after.

Cornelius is a option for us at 17/19. I want to mids here, but there's merit in us taking another forward early and he's a small chance to be taken earlier but isn't likely to last until our next pick. No chance in the world, zero, none, nada, of Mitch Brown being taken before pick 17. I'd be shocked if he was taken before pick 35. Decent prospect, but not shown heaps. Either a target for pick 35 or he could even slip to pick 51.

I like the idea of taking a risk on Swift, i've said it before and i'm happy to see some others interested in it. But if we took him we'd want to take a mid with the other pick as well in case he doesn't make it. He's a chance to go first round, one of teams without any great needs might take a risk on him, but if available we'd need to go pick 17 as WC will look at him as well.

Zaharakis is a real possibility at pick 19. Older age, was overlooked last year, but he's improved dramatically. Expess pace and a good head on his shoulders, query was on his disposal but he's improved it a lot. You've said you doubt he'll last, I doubt he'll go before us, he's a first round chance to but only a minor one. I think we'll be weighing up him against players who've slipped that we didn't expect to

I think you'll find that both Brown and Smith will be available at pick #35 so there's no point wasting a second rounder on them because in truth there are a lot better players than them. If i was to favour one i'd pick Brown because he's more suited to our needs and Smith is quite lazy.

i don't want cornelius..he is not tall enough to play key position at only 192cm. He is a clone of brad fisher, and while he aint bad I would rather take a stab on someone that could be better. Cornelius has also pubilcly stated that he isnt tall enough for a key position and consequently has worked on being more of an opportunistic goal scorer.

As for suban, i like your thinking sylvinator.

And i dont think melbourne are in a position to take a risk on injured players(i.e Swift). We need as much help we can get from this draft..not the time to be making any risks. just my opinion.

192 not tall enough :huh:

Pavlich, Lloyd, Lucas, Fevola, Bradshaw, O'Loughlin are all the same height or shorter and I could give you a list triple as long of key position defenders that height or smaller.

All depends on how you go about your business - not whether you're 190 or 194, and at the NAB championships he took some BIG contested marks