Captain 2009 Poll

Yencks

2009 Captain  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What about the fact the he has the maturity of a 13 year old.

Minor drawbacks??

If he gets the job, it will be because he bought his way there.

Rusty...you are kidding aren't you? Maturity of a 13yo? What - do you know him personally?

"Bought his way there">......that is crap. He shows more leadership than alot of them put together on and off the field.

Rusty...you are kidding aren't you? Maturity of a 13yo? What - do you know him personally?

"Bought his way there">......that is crap. He shows more leadership than alot of them put together on and off the field.

Firstly, relax for a second mate.

Secondly, of course I don’t know him personally, unlike allot of people on here I don’t pretend to know players or officials from the other side of a keyboard!

"bought his way there" was a little tongue in cheek

"Shows more leadership than all of them put together off the field??" How short is your memory mate?? Bar fights overseas, getting sacked from the leadership group??? They don’t sound like leadership qualities to me.

I love Brock-but he’s not captain. not yet.

Firstly, relax for a second mate.

Secondly, of course I don’t know him personally, unlike allot of people on here I don’t pretend to know players or officials from the other side of a keyboard!

"bought his way there" was a little tongue in cheek

"Shows more leadership than all of them put together off the field??" How short is your memory mate?? Bar fights overseas, getting sacked from the leadership group??? They don’t sound like leadership qualities to me.

I love Brock-but he’s not captain. not yet.

Good leaders don't necessarily do good things all the time. But when they make mistakes, they apologize for them and make amends. Brock McLean has done that.

Good leaders need to be able to lead by example. Brock McLean is arguably our best player, so he's shown he can do that too.

Good leaders have to show that they're committed. Brock's fantastic game under duress against the Lions proves that as well, as does his attitude towards training, something the Bailey regime values very highly.

Good leaders have to be consistent. Brock is rarely in our worst few players on-field.

Secondary to all that, he's popular, as a leader should be. He got the most votes from the umpires in the Brownlow Medal, which shows he has a good relationship with them. He's also easily winning our poll, indicating his popularity with the fans.

Forget about his donation, because it's only going to make whatever opinion you have of him stronger. He's either trying to "buy" his way into the captaincy role, or it shows he's willing to "bleed for the jumper." Money has won or lost practically every leadership campaign in the history of the world. Let's not let it influence this one too.

I voted for Brad Miller, because I think he's the most vocal of the group, and is more experienced than McLean, not to mention the fact that he's able to take the field more often. But that's not to say I wouldn't have Chook as captain in a red and blue heartbeat.

Good leaders don't necessarily do good things all the time. But when they make mistakes, they apologize for them and make amends. Brock McLean has done that.

Good leaders need to be able to lead by example. Brock McLean is arguably our best player, so he's shown he can do that too.

Good leaders have to show that they're committed. Brock's fantastic game under duress against the Lions proves that as well, as does his attitude towards training, something the Bailey regime values very highly.

Good leaders have to be consistent. Brock is rarely in our worst few players on-field.

Secondary to all that, he's popular, as a leader should be. He got the most votes from the umpires in the Brownlow Medal, which shows he has a good relationship with them. He's also easily winning our poll, indicating his popularity with the fans.

Forget about his donation, because it's only going to make whatever opinion you have of him stronger. He's either trying to "buy" his way into the captaincy role, or it shows he's willing to "bleed for the jumper." Money has won or lost practically every leadership campaign in the history of the world. Let's not let it influence this one too.

I voted for Brad Miller, because I think he's the most vocal of the group, and is more experienced than McLean, not to mention the fact that he's able to take the field more often. But that's not to say I wouldn't have Chook as captain in a red and blue heartbeat.

You did fail to omit however, his indiscretions off the field.

And I will point it out again, "buying" his way into the role was a joke.

I wouldn’t be upset at all, if Brock was to get the role. I just don’t think he necessarily ready or deserves it yet.

For the record, I also voted for B. Miller. I think from all the players at the moment, he is the one who most represents a leader, on and OFF the field.

I wouldn’t be upset at all, if Brock was to get the role. I just don’t think he necessarily ready or deserves it yet.

For the record, I also voted for B. Miller. I think from all the players at the moment, he is the one who most represents a leader, on and OFF the field.

My point about admitting your mistakes was a reference to his off-field behaviour. He apologized for them straight after they happened.

And one could argue, despite the fact that I think it should play absolutely no role, that McLean's donation shows his commitment to the Melbourne Football Club.

No kidding? You voted for Brad Miller? Well there you go. Hopefully someone will come out and bag him so that we can stop arguing about a guy who neither of us thinks should get the Captaincy anyway.

My point about admitting your mistakes was a reference to his off-field behaviour. He apologized for them straight after they happened.

And one could argue, despite the fact that I think it should play absolutely no role, that McLean's donation shows his commitment to the Melbourne Football Club.

No kidding? You voted for Brad Miller? Well there you go. Hopefully someone will come out and bag him so that we can stop arguing about a guy who neither of us thinks should get the Captaincy anyway.

That would be lovely.

I voted for Brock, we're at a point in our history where we need to make a stand and tell the rest of the football world where we're heading as a football club.

He's a risk, we need to be willing to be make big calls or else we will always be viewed as nothing more than a pathetic laughing stock.

Miller would be my second option along with Green, anything but that week idea of co-captains (especially with the likes of Bruce in there).

Guest TheVoice

I voted Brock. If we are aiming for youth then they should be led by youth. Brock, despite his past off field discrepancies, has a good head on his shoulders, has

good on field presence, is 1 of our best players and also plays in the midfield. I always thought one of our biggest weaknesses with neita at the helm was that he

was a full forward. When the game needs to be taken by the throat with some defining passages of play, the midfield is where you want your captain to be, rallying

the troops and getting to all parts of the ground. Brock is the ideal choice.

Having said that, I wouldn't be unhappy with green getting it for much the same reasons as I wanted brock, however age is against him and we might be better

letting the kids take the reins with green playing a more older statesman role. The leadership group must also mirror youth with the likes of jones, davey, miller,

rivers, etc. I heard clarkson saying something along the lines of when he gave the young guys the responsibility it was amazing how they embraced it and took

their opportunities. I want that for the us.

i voted for brock. he is a leader on field, and i think he has put the youthful indiscretions past him. everyone is allowed to muck up when they are 21, and i have no problem with the fights overseas - we dont know what happened. and fwiw i think most footballers are immature, testosterone charged blokes, and with the except of robert harvey and james hird (who still stuffed up) not many have that perfect aura about them anyway.

miller i like. i like his enthusiasm i like his leadership. i think he could be a good solid long term player, and if he had kicked 30-40 goals each of the past 3 seasons he would probably be getting my vote. but unfortunately he hasnt. blame ND, blame anyone, but miller has not produced on the field long enough or consistently enough to prove he will be a regular in 2010 just yet, but i think we're all pretty sure brock will be.

Once agian, he hasn't "bought" into anything Rusty. That is your opinion. He did it out of his heart for Debt Demolition. Perhaps he felt he "owed" the club, but we will never know.

I'm pleased that you voted for Brad Miller who has also shown this season his leadership in spurts. I think both of those guys should represent Melbourne for what I call Melbourne's "New Dawn" or "New era" of youth in 2009 on the back of our new recruits and new look team.

But please, saying that "Brock" has bought or is buying his way into the role is in itself an absolute joke.

NB. He has already put the end of season indiscretions behind him and has already paid the penalty. It's in the past. Look to the future now.

Well, fair dinkum? Of course it was a joke 45, either way you look at it it's a slur on Brock.

WARNING ALL DEMONLANDERS: From this point on please be aware that apparently, all tounge in cheek comments are considered a slur on the player in question.

Breach this and face the rath of High Tower!

WARNING ALL DEMONLANDERS: From this point on please be aware that apparently, all tounge in cheek comments are considered a slur on the player in question.

Breach this and face the rath of High Tower!

:huh:

You need to lighten up.

PS. It's "wrath"

Anyway, moving on

I love Brock, think he's a great on field leader, the ways you should go about attack on the footy and dedication at the task etc

Don't get down to training so I don't know how he goes on the track, but I'm sure he's probably just as committed.

But as it stands, I think he needs to stay out of trouble for probably another season yet. Within the last year he was in a fight overseas, which i understand wouldn't be heard by anyone if he wasn't a footy player (but the reality is that he is and should therefore stay out of things like that), lost his license and did burnouts in a high school car park

These are not the off field actions of a man who is ready to lead a footy club IMO.

I think he'll get there, he's only young but that's the upside, he doesn't need to be made captain yet.

It'll just put undue pressure on such a young man with questionable off field actions.

Guest Always B a DEE

IMO we should look to Brad Green for 2009 and perhaps 2010 with Brock as VC to take over in 2011. I have no doubt that Brock will be a captain but I firmly believe he needs the next couple of seasons without the added burden of captaincy. In this season of despair I feel Brad Green has shown his courage, commitment and leadership, unlike so many other passengers we have carried. I also hope we don't go down the path of multiple captains.

Anyway, moving on

I love Brock, think he's a great on field leader, the ways you should go about attack on the footy and dedication at the task etc

Don't get down to training so I don't know how he goes on the track, but I'm sure he's probably just as committed.

But as it stands, I think he needs to stay out of trouble for probably another season yet. Within the last year he was in a fight overseas, which i understand wouldn't be heard by anyone if he wasn't a footy player (but the reality is that he is and should therefore stay out of things like that), lost his license and did burnouts in a high school car park

These are not the off field actions of a man who is ready to lead a footy club IMO.

I think he'll get there, he's only young but that's the upside, he doesn't need to be made captain yet.

It'll just put undue pressure on such a young man with questionable off field actions.

Agreed 100%. I get down to training quite a bit and see his leadership first hand. Dont question his ability or on field leadership at all.

Him and Miller have very simalir traits in terms of the way the go about their football and training. Heads down and work hard. They are both very vocal. Both would make fine leaders. Just dont think Brock is ready quite yet.

I voted for Brock, we're at a point in our history where we need to make a stand and tell the rest of the football world where we're heading as a football club.

He's a risk, we need to be willing to be make big calls or else we will always be viewed as nothing more than a pathetic laughing stock.

Miller would be my second option along with Green, anything but that week idea of co-captains (especially with the likes of Bruce in there).

Agree - those 3 are the standouts - but no co-captains..that's just a weak cop-out

Brad Miller. Give the Big Unit the Captaincy for a year. Might do him good. Brock we already know about. I just got a feeling Miller will prosper with responsibility.

yeah me too

see i want brock to be captain and thats why i voted him

however, come to think of it: with the role that he plays, miller is the sort of person who i can see lifting with this role whereas for some reason i just see it as an extra burden for brock on his shoulders

however, come to think of it: with the role that he plays, miller is the sort of person who i can see lifting with this role whereas for some reason i just see it as an extra burden for brock on his shoulders

Good point Nugget. Although, not so much a burden for McLean, but I definitely agree with Miller lifting in the role by taking more responsibility. I think he would thrive in the role. Still, I voted for McLean. I think McLean will excel in the role too. Miller would be my Vice captain. He would relish in that role too IMO.