For the masochists out there

pantaloons

For those who are interested in trudging down memory lane for a painful two hours, the 2000 Grand Final is being shown on Foxtel's footy marathon at 11.30 tonight on Channel 501. I haven't seen it since that dreadful day, but I'll record it tonight and have a look for the first time in eight years. I'm sure for an instant that part of me will wonder if we can win the replay. While the day still conjures up sorry memories, the 2000 Grand Final was the closest we've come to winning a flag in my lifetime, even if it wasn't our best chance, and I'll be keen to see the side run out there.

Should I? Or shouldn't I? No, I will give that one a miss, thanks. ;)

I'd prefer to catch up on some Zzzz's myself. A sports feast of the VFL Grand Final on ABC, Storm on Ch9 and "Before the Game" on Ch10 tonight will satisfy me, before a big day tomorrow.

its the only grand final we've been in that i was old enough to remember. i remember the anticipation, the excitment, of the week. i remember arriving at the ground. i knew how daunting essendon were that year but i dared to dream. i can remember being dissapointed that a young cameron bruce was a late withdrawal, but remember being very satisfied with ND's plan of having bruce warm up with the boys before the teams were submitted - so very sheedy like, and i thought we were onto something.

i can remember sitting and watching the score, as we were getting pumelled, hoping, praying we would stage a revival. i remember being outraged at essendons tactics, wishing we could stand up and fight back like them, wishing someone would help schwartz out. i remember calculating the score difference at half time and thinking it was still possible even if there was no real hope - the innocence of youth.

i would watch it again tonight. there are always replays of collingwood, carlton and essendon grand finals. the hawks in the 80's, west coast in the 90's. but there is nothing of the mfc. there is no footage of our grand final victories, of our three in a row. so for me, 2000, while dissapointing, is one of our greatest achievements in the past 50 years - we made the GF. it would be good to see the red and blue on the big stage, even if we get thumped.

tonight there should be 45 mfc players sitting at home watching that game, watching what it means to be a part of melbourne. i think if that doesnt make them want to stand up next year, that they will be a lost cause, just like we have been for the past 45 years.

I went when I was 8 and have almost no memory of the game. I'm watching it now, and am amazed at the crap people used to be able to get away with back then.

Also, it's strange after 2 years of total crap to see guys playing in our jumper being able to kick goals, win clearances and hit targets.

When that actually happened it blew any cred I'd given Long.

Compressed spine, broken neck .. awful but credible possibilities from a 20m sprint 1/2 twist into a hip and shoulder to the top of the skull.

There's hard, and then there's the really bad kind of mongrel.

MICHAEL EFFING LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU SON OF A [censored]!!!!

At the 2000 GF I arrived at the

MCC Reserve at 2am soit was a long day. At the games end i waited till Michael Long recieved his medal Booed him as loud as i could. Heard a bloke somewhere close to me yell out "You're a coward Long" Agreed. Went home. Have never rated long since that day. Dog.

Fwiw, I ended up watching all of it Grand Final Eve.

When Neita hit the post with the first shot at goal, its as if I was reliving the disappointment. Dean Wallis cheap shot on Brad Green made me want to jump through the Tv and rip into Wallis.

Deanox, you were spot on, not many helped the Ox for the Dees in the physical stakes. Powell reminded me of how handy he was in the clinches.

I was out of my chair - again as I was in 2000- when Ox dumped Hirdy onto his back, in a move more accustomed to WWF.

Farmer's first half was irritating - did nothing.

Realistically the Bombers mauled us, we couldn't put any scoreboard pressure on when the Bombers were missing a heap of shots at goal.

jeez i loved it how the OX picked up hird and body slammed him! gave me a big smile! we need a player like OX with guts and mongral and will stick up for their teamates like he did! not [censored] little girls like newton

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

• Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

REDEEMING by Meggs

It was such a balmy spring evening for this mid-week BNCA Pink Lady match at our favourite venue Ikon Park between two teams that had not won a game since round one.   After last week’s insipid bombing, the DeeArmy banner correctly deemanded that our players ‘go in hard, go in strong, go in fighting’, and girl they sure did!   The first quarter goals by Alyssa Bannan and Alyssia Pisano were simply stunning, and it was 4 goals to nil by half-time.   Kudos to Mick Stinear.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons

REDEEM by Meggs

How will Mick Stinear and his dwindling list of fit and available Demons respond to last week’s 65-point capitulation to the Bombers, the team’s biggest loss in history?   As a minimum he will expect genuine effort from all of his players when Melbourne takes on the GWS Giants at Ikon Park this Thursday.  Happily, the ground remains a favourite Melbourne venue of players and spectators alike and will provide an opportunity for the Demons to redeem themselves. Injuries to star play

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons

EASYBEATS by Meggs

A beautiful sunny Friday afternoon, with a light breeze and a strong Windy Hill crowd set the scene, inviting one team to seize the day and take the important four points on offer. For the Demons it was not a good Friday, easily beaten by an all-time largest losing margin of 65 points.   Essendon threw themselves into action today, winning most of the contests and had three early goals with Daria Bannister on fire.  In contrast the Demons were dropping marks, hesitant in close and comm

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons 9

DEFUSE THE BOMBERS by Meggs

Last Saturday’s crushing loss to Fremantle, after being three goals ahead at three quarter time, should be motivation enough to bounce back for this very winnable Round 5 clash at Windy Hill. A first-time venue for the Melbourne AFLW team, this should be a familiar suburban, windy, footy environment for the players.   Essendon were brave and competitive last week against ladder leader Adelaide at Sturt’s home ground. A familiar name, Maddison Gay, was the Bombers best player with

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons 33

BLOW THE SIREN by Meggs

Fremantle hosted the Demons on a sunny 20-degree Saturdayafternoon winning the toss and electing to defend in the first quarter against the 3-goal breeze favouring the Parry Street end. There was method here, as this would give the comeback queens, the Dockers, last use of the breeze. The Melbourne Coach had promised an improved performance, and we did start better than previous weeks, winning the ball out of the middle, using the breeze advantage and connecting to the forwards. 

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons

GETAWAY by Meggs

Calling all fit players. Expect every available Melbourne player to board the Virgin cross-continent flight to Perth for this Round 4 clash on Saturday afternoon at Fremantle Oval. It promises to be keenly contested, though Fremantle is the bookies clear favourite.  If we lose, finals could be remoter than Rottnest Island especially following on from the Dees 50-point dismantlement by North Melbourne last Sunday.  There are 8 remaining matches, over the next 7 weeks.  To Meggs’

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons

DRUBBING by Meggs

With Casey Fields basking in sunshine, an enthusiastic throng of young Demons fans formed a guard of honour for the evergreen and much admired 75-gamer Paxy Paxman. As the home team ran out to play, Paxy’s banner promised that the Demons would bounce back from last week’s loss to Brisbane and reign supreme.   Disappointingly, the Kangaroos dominated the match to win by 50 points, but our Paxy certainly did her bit.  She was clearly our best player, sweeping well in defence.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons 4

GARNER STRENGTH by Meggs

In keeping with our tough draw theme, Week 3 sees Melbourne take on flag favourites, North Melbourne, at Casey Fields this Sunday at 1:05pm.  The weather forecast looks dry, a coolish 14 degrees and will be characteristically gusty.  Remember when Casey Fields was considered our fortress?  The Demons have lost two of their past three matches at the Field of Dreams, so opposition teams commute down the Princes Highway with more optimism these days.  The Dees held the highe

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons 1

ALLY’S FIELDS by Meggs

It was a sunny morning at Casey Fields, as Demon supporters young and old formed a guard of honour for fan favourite and 50-gamer Alyssa Bannan.  Banno’s banner stated the speedster was the ‘fastest 50 games’ by an AFLW player ever.   For Dees supporters, today was not our day and unfortunately not for Banno either. A couple of opportunities emerged for our number 6 but alas there was no sizzle.   Brisbane atoned for last week’s record loss to North Melbourne, comprehensively out

Demonland
    Demonland |
    AFLW Melbourne Demons 1
  • Tell a friend

Love Demonland? Tell a friend!