Schwab declines CEO role and other things

warren dean

If he hasn't gone through the interview process, then hasn't he just withdrawn himself? Not declined the job as Ralph reports.

While that is probably the truth there Jerry, it is not nearly subtly denegrating enough to our club to say ;) !!!

The Hawthorn bloke mentioned in yesterday's Sun is my bet.

Which bloke was that Doc?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While that is probably the truth there Jerry, it is not nearly subtly denegrating enough to our club to say ;) !!!

Which bloke was that Doc?

Terry Dillon - Hawthorn Chief Operating Officer

Has the job in my opinion. And god it will be sweet to poach him off the Hawks. That will be 2 top quality executives the Hawks will lose in a year.

Ralph reports that Schwab declines the CEO role. I was under the impression that we were using a company(Slade maybe?) to do the recruiting for us.

Now why would Schwab go through the whole interview process, get offered the job and then decline it?

If he hasn't gone through the interview process, then hasn't he just withdrawn himself? Not declined the job as Ralph reports.

Not necessarily. If he was interested and given Stynes had already named as a preferred candidate then he would have been offered the job without the interviews. He has done his due diligence on MFC, considered the package and his interest and decided not to accept.

Terry Dillon - Hawthorn Chief Operating Officer

Has the job in my opinion. And god it will be sweet to poach him off the Hawks. That will be 2 top quality executives the Hawks will lose in a year.

Cheers mate :) !!!

Talk about a complete rebuild, started with the Football department, then the players, board and now the admin side, I think this year we have to replace CFO, CEO and from memory both Membership and marketing managers.

Exciting, new training base, new players, new board, new admin and a new home whether it be at the Bubbledome or MCG, add to that new conditioning staff new physio team, get ready for an amazing ride that will end with all of us drinking out of a premiership cup back at the MFC social club on that last Saturday/Sunday morning in September.

Not necessarily. If he was interested and given Stynes had already named as a preferred candidate then he would have been offered the job without the interviews. He has done his due diligence on MFC, considered the package and his interest and decided not to accept.

I had considered this as an option also, but i was just trying to point the sensationlist report which was trying to make this out as another kick in the guts to our club.

"How bad are Melbourne going, they offer Schwab the CEO role and he doesn't even want it because they are a basket case", is how they want the story to come across to the ignorant viewer/reader who can't cut through media bullsh*t.

Only if Warnock wants to play with us.

He has to state his terms prior to PSD. If we are 1st club to match them, he's ours. If he wants more than we will pay, he risks not being picked up at all.

That's the theory anyway. ;)

Can you trade PSD picks?

Talk about a complete rebuild, started with the Football department, then the players, board and now the admin side, I think this year we have to replace CFO, CEO and from memory both Membership and marketing managers.

Exciting, new training base, new players, new board, new admin and a new home whether it be at the Bubbledome or MCG, add to that new conditioning staff new physio team, get ready for an amazing ride that will end with all of us drinking out of a premiership cup back at the MFC social club on that last Saturday/Sunday morning in September.

What year?

I'll be there.

Guest skipper3
If John Ralph is right (and who would know?) then why is Happell a dill and why does he have a nail in his coffin?

Happell wrote: "Now Stynes is looking at bestowing patronage of another "mate", Cameron Schwab, whom he has openly urged to apply for McNamee’s vacant position".

Ralph confirms Happell's article. It brings no credit to Jim Stynes and the mates that another "mate" had the good sense to reject Stynes' offer.

The club would stupid not to ask someone who is considered by the rest of the AFL as a 1st rate admin guy. This is a guy who has lifted Freo from a basket case off the field to a club that has lots of money & members. Schwab says he wants to have a break from footy - whats wrong with that. I thought we were all to smart to believe everything the media says anyway.

Considering Schwab said right from when he quit Freo that he wanted a break from AFL, this is hardly surprising. Jimmy just wasn't reading the tea leaves right.

Form the article I read, Dillon is chief operating officer NOT chief financial officer.

Sounds like a fit with chief executive to me. Just the Hawks use a slightly different structure to us.

Caroline Wilson had this to say about Schwab:

Former chief executive Cameron Schwab announced at the weekend that he had pulled out of the running.

The Melbourne board had not yet reached a final decision about reappointing Schwab.

He has to state his terms prior to PSD. If we are 1st club to match them, he's ours. If he wants more than we will pay, he risks not being picked up at all.

That's the theory anyway. ;)

Can you trade PSD picks?

No you cant.

Richmond certainly need another ruckman and could be in the mix. However, if for whatever reason he does not want to come to MFC its no good just matching the $$$$. You only end up with two unhappy parties.

Not sure what you mean here. :(

If we dont get Warnock we are going to have to trade for a capable 1st ruck.

Ralph reports that Schwab declines the CEO role. I was under the impression that we were using a company(Slade maybe?) to do the recruiting for us.

Now why would Schwab go through the whole interview process, get offered the job and then decline it?

Spot on Jerry. R-r-r-ralphy has just sensationalised it for his own purposes

Guest Golgothan
Not sure what you mean here. :(

I believe Rhino means that unless Warnock decides 100% to come to us before trade week then PSD means nothing. He might just be happy to come back to melbourne regardless of club, so if we don't offer freo enough they'll trade him to whoever (word is both Richmond & Carlton are keen) offers them the juiciest trade. Then when it gets to the PSD he'll already be in a navy blue jumper and we'll be left sitting on our hands

Regarding Schwab, as Rogue has quoted Caro, he didn't decline the position he ruled himself out of the running. So it seems that Melbourne was yet to make a decision and he has reconsidered and ruled himself out.

I believe Rhino means that unless Warnock decides 100% to come to us before trade week then PSD means nothing. He might just be happy to come back to melbourne regardless of club, so if we don't offer freo enough they'll trade him to whoever (word is both Richmond & Carlton are keen) offers them the juiciest trade. Then when it gets to the PSD he'll already be in a navy blue jumper and we'll be left sitting on our hands

:huh:

If we dont get Warnock we are going to have to trade for a capable 1st ruck.

If John Ralph is right (and who would know?) then why is Happell a dill and why does he have a nail in his coffin?

Happell wrote: "Now Stynes is looking at bestowing patronage of another "mate", Cameron Schwab, whom he has openly urged to apply for McNamee’s vacant position".

Ralph confirms Happell's article. It brings no credit to Jim Stynes and the mates that another "mate" had the good sense to reject Stynes' offer.

[censored]!

Happell neglected to say that Stynes was also courting Fox at the same time and if this really was a case of bestowing patronage on a mate, then the mate would have responded positively to the Stynes offer. Happell's entire story was more or less a beat up based on the revelation of an apparently disgruntled former player whose ability has been magnified to the nth degree by Happell who was doing a good job of editorialising but nothing more.

I have no problem with constructive criticism of our board but the people who put forward this discredited "mates" line are doing their club no favours. Moreover, it has all the hallmarks of someone tasting sour grapes by the bucketload.

[censored]!

Happell neglected to say that Stynes was also courting Fox at the same time and if this really was a case of bestowing patronage on a mate, then the mate would have responded positively to the Stynes offer.

Wrong. The public statements when McNamee was sacked and the offer of the job to Schwab could be perceived as a case of patronage. Whether the other party accepts or not is neither here nor there.

Stynes public comments about candidates has made the CEO recruitment less than open than it should be.

I have no problem with constructive criticism of our board but the people who put forward this discredited "mates" line are doing their club no favours. Moreover, it has all the hallmarks of someone tasting sour grapes by the bucketload.

And your post has all the hallmarks of a starstruck leg humping sycophant, MATE.

From the moment that McNamee (and the rest of us) read of his imminent demise in Mike Sheahan's item on the morning of July 22 this fiasco has become a world record duration Benny Hill sketch. Highlights have been:

- the 36 hour delay between Sheahan's piece and any response from the Club during which time McNamee's sacking had been reported in every print and electronic media outlet

- Stynes' bumbling and totally unconvincing explanation for his decision contrasting with McNamee's dignified and classy exit

- the petty and venal reason for Stynes' decision to sack McNamee which boiled down to nothing more than Stynes' unwillingness to share the spotlight with another MFC official who had his own media profile and who would distract the media from brand Stynes

- no contingency plan or succession plan in place before Stynes sacked McNamee

- the unnecessary and avoidable cost of the sacking and the recruitment of a successor

- the blatant nepotism behind the mates offering the gig to the mate Schwab only to be rebuffed (so far) - the knock back does not change the fact that the offer was sheer croneyism

- the on again off again daily revelations about Fox and Schwab as the one month anniversary of McNamee's sacking approaches - Jimma just can't seem to nail this one. The fact that they are spinning at a thousand miles an hour about Dillon doesn't change the fact that Dillon could not even make the short list of 3 back in March when McNamee got the job

- the interview in the Herald Sun on July 29 in which the executive search consultant engaged by the Club, Geoff Slade, openly talked about the assignment, naming candidates and providing detailed information on their previous assignment that led to McNamee's appointment. When was the last time you read in the Fin Review of the thoughts of the executive search group engaged by BHP Billiton as they embarked on their assignment to recruit a senior executive for a business like that? Outrageous.

- the ominous implications behind the decisions of Fox and Schwab to knock back the job. I have no doubt that this arises from their assessment of the Stynes version of how governance works - Stynes = Executive Chairman + "President" (there is no role of President in the Constitution of our Club) +CEO + media spokesperson on everything + marketing manager + list/recruitment manager + tea lady. If I was an aspiring CEO I would be appalled by the blurring of the roles between Chairman/Board and CEO/management and would run a mile.

- the abysmal timing of the sacking. Who knows what role this played at a crucial time in Primus' decision making about renewing their major sponsorship - a task of such significance at our end that it would have demanded the considerable attention of the CEO. Budgets and business plans for 2009 are now at a crucial stage of preparation and we don't have a full time CEO and we don't have a CFO.

Amateur hour.

So who leaked to Mike Sheahan that made McNamee's tenure untenable and forced the Board to play catch up?

Sheahan has said that whispers were around for the previous 3 weeks and it was all the talk at the Geelong v WB game at SS that he attended the previous Saturday 19 July. My betting would be Demetriou/Ian Anderson whom no doubt the naive Stynes took into his "confidence".