Cordner-Eggleston Cup - Friday's Pre Match Curtain Raiser

DeeM

Just letting any one how cares, that before Melbourne’s game there is a 150th celebration game between Scotch College and Melbourne Grammar on the G for the Cordner-Eggleston Cup at 3.50pm.

There are two (that I know of) future draft picks playing in this game.

• No. 4 for Scotch College and

• Aussie's cousin who plays for Melbourne Grammar.

There have also been some current AFL players who have gone to these two schools: Campbell Brown, Cyril "Junior" Rioli, Tom Hawkins and Xavier Ellis

Just letting any one how cares, that before Melbourne’s game there is a 150th celebration game between Scotch College and Melbourne Grammar on the G for the Cordner-Eggleston Cup at 3.50pm.

There are two (that I know of) future draft picks playing in this game.

• No. 4 for Scotch College and

• Aussie's cousin who plays for Melbourne Grammar.

There have also been some current AFL players who have gone to these two schools: Campbell Brown, Cyril "Junior" Rioli, Tom Hawkins and Xavier Ellis

SCOTCH COLLEGE v MELBOURNE GRAMMAR

The Cordner part of the Cup is named after the great Don Cordner, a Brownlow Medallist for Melbourne in 1946 and one of the Melbourne Football Club's all time greats.

This is the ladder with one match to go i.e. tomorrow night(Friday)'s game between Scotch and Melbourne. Because MGC defeated Haileybury in their game during the year, they will win the flag if they win this game despite their percentage:

LADDER

TEAM PLD W L PTS F A %

HC 10 9 1 36 1273 671 189.72

MGS 9 8 1 32 838 535 156.64*

XAV 10 7 3 28 892 680 131.18

BGS 10 7 3 28 795 718 110.72

SKC 10 6 4 24 994 660 150.61

SCO 9 5 4 20 823 757 108.72

GCS 10 4 6 16 893 853 104.69

CGS 10 4 6 16 904 883 102.38

CAREY 10 3 7 12 563 977 57.63

WES 10 1 9 4 541 928 58.30

GGS 10 0 10 0 467 1148 40.68

If anyone wants to write a match preview of the game, please feel free to post here.

I remember this game being played on the main oval at scotch back when i was at school... had to rotate around the oval clockwise at the end of each quarter so the 2 schools supporters didn't run into each other... defiantly no love lost between the 2 schools. ill be there as soon as i can get away from work.

LADDER

TEAM PLD W L PTS F A %

HC 10 9 1 36 1273 671 189.72

MGS 9 8 1 32 838 535 156.64*

XAV 10 7 3 28 892 680 131.18

BGS 10 7 3 28 795 718 110.72

SKC 10 6 4 24 994 660 150.61

SCO 9 5 4 20 823 757 108.72

GCS 10 4 6 16 893 853 104.69

CGS 10 4 6 16 904 883 102.38

CAREY 10 3 7 12 563 977 57.63

WES 10 1 9 4 541 928 58.30

GGS 10 0 10 0 467 1148 40.68

its just a change seeing geelong at the bottom!

i dont think MGS have won the premiership in a long time. 13 years i think i read somewhere. traditionally scotch towel them up.....like the last time they played at the 'g MGS scored a whole 8 points. wow. this is the last game of the season too....11 teams, 10 games. and MGS beat HC earlier in the year so if they win the get the premiership because they did so ,no matter about %.

awesome preview

MGS last won the premiership in 1995. Scotch won in 1996 and shared the premiership in 2006 in with Haileybury and Geelong College. So far this year Scotch has won the rowing and MGS the cricket.

Ivor

haha benno. Being a grammar boy you should know the last time the two teams played at the g it was a hard fought game with scotch winning by about 20 points. Personnel were a bit different too!

If anyone wants to write a match preview of the game, please feel free to post here.

Best we could do was this quoted from nickvb5 on bigfooty:

MGS have dominated the competition this year and this is the final hurdle. A win and it means they are the victors of this great match for the first time in a few years. Added to which it will be the first premiership for the school since 1995. MGS are definitely the classier side with the likes of May, Lappin, Carter and Shaw. Included in this class aspect are 10 scholarship kids who have been instrumental in MGS’s success. Whether they are here for football or giving them a better shot at life is unimportant. They know how to play and have to perform if MGS is to win. Despite this Scotch will be lurking if there is anything a miss. Bull has the ability to turn the game on its head like he did last year and Strausee will be oozing class through the midfield all day. Add Hummer and Foster (should be playing) into the mix and you’ve got a pretty good building block to work from. I’m unsure if any Rioloi’s are still at the school but I’m sure if they are they will be prominent.

The MCG provides a unique and once in a lifetime (not for some of those playing) chance to play at the home of the great game. Who knows which side will be suited more at the G but it is safe to say Flack Park (MGS's home ground) is similar in dimensions.

Whatever eventuates it will be an enthralling battle and one always has to expect the unexpected. Scotch’s win in exactly the same circumstances in 2005 is surely not going to happen again.

MGS by 16 with Carter best on ground.

Anyone know how Jack Watts goes at this level from Brighton Grammar?

Grammar won by 10 points.

Scotch were in front all day but it was very close.

Scotch did well considering we didnt have 10 scholarship kids.

Best for either side were

Strause#4 Scotch

and maybe May for grammar.

Dominates. In year 10 (last year), he kicked 8.5 against the APS CHB. Kicked bags of 4-5 with getting tripled teamed. Whenever one on one he doesnt lose marking contests at this level, and took this up a level and dominated in the U/18 championship

Dominates. In year 10 (last year), he kicked 8.5 against the APS CHB. Kicked bags of 4-5 with getting tripled teamed. Whenever one on one he doesnt lose marking contests at this level, and took this up a level and dominated in the U/18 championship

So you reckon he goes all right?

yes...that was as close to an AFL Premiership as you could get

i was right in the middle of the "grammar army"...if you were at the game, the guy with the big blue flag and blue paint over my face.

steven may was the man that kicked some of those extroadinary goals and i will tell you right now, after watching every one of his matches this year, he is far better than jack watts IMO...according to the grammar coach, steven may has that grit and steadiness that jack watts lacks...watch this space

unfortunately, there is almost nothing melbourne can do to get him

in terms of the game, i was going to write a pre-match report but i didnt think there would be much interest. most of the information has been covered,

however MGS has a few boys at the moment that are surely going to get picked up

Steven May

Luke Mitchell

Alex Keith

all three have been talked up the newspaper at different times and all three are likely to go to Gold Coast..

in the eligible age group, there are a few boys that are worthy of looking at

these are: midfielder gus lappin, mgs school captain charles shaw (the big bloke with red hair) and some of the other indegious boys who all played well yesterday...patty keenan, longy, roland ah chee, robbie hale to name a few

also, from the scotch team, strauss has potential to be a solid AFL player in a couple years time

Best we could do was this quoted from nickvb5 on bigfooty:

yes i saw him play a couple of weeks ago at BGS and did a little report on another thread which i cant find.

i said something along the lines of good contested mark, however, with the pressure of having a huge contingent of Melbourne Grammar boys screaming and banging on drums to put him off when he shot for goal, he scored 1.4...so his kicking was poor and he didnt do much, ie) he didnt run up the ground a lot or get some good ground level ball

but he did take a couple of good contested marks

im not sure whether it was coach's instructions or not but he stayed stationary for a lot of the match from what i saw

and if he strougles to kick easy set shots from the pressure of 300 opposition school boy supporters, i think he will strougle infront of 30-40K at the G

in saying that, i dont think he will be a superstar when u compare him to the likes of steven may who is too young to be drafted, but i wouldnt be upset if melbourne snapped him up this year because i can see some potential in him...as i said, he can take a contested mark which is something we lack just a little bit at the moment

MGS dominated the second half, and if it wasn't for their inability to convert chances, would have won by a street.

The other reason the scores were close was the stunningly biased performance of the men in yellow. MGS got slaughtered by the umpires. Were they Scotch teachers?

Note: Me Melb Grammar student ex, not biased but.

yes i saw him play a couple of weeks ago at BGS and did a little report on another thread which i cant find.

i said something along the lines of good contested mark, however, with the pressure of having a huge contingent of Melbourne Grammar boys screaming and banging on drums to put him off when he shot for goal, he scored 1.4...so his kicking was poor and he didnt do much, ie) he didnt run up the ground a lot or get some good ground level ball

but he did take a couple of good contested marks

im not sure whether it was coach's instructions or not but he stayed stationary for a lot of the match from what i saw

and if he strougles to kick easy set shots from the pressure of 300 opposition school boy supporters, i think he will strougle infront of 30-40K at the G

in saying that, i dont think he will be a superstar when u compare him to the likes of steven may who is too young to be drafted, but i wouldnt be upset if melbourne snapped him up this year because i can see some potential in him...as i said, he can take a contested mark which is something we lack just a little bit at the moment

Yeah he didnt play too well that game. I was there and he got frustrated with the 3on1s. Usually his kicking is pretty good, kicking pretty much all his set shots for Vic Metro. If thats the only game youve seen, you clearly wont have huge excitement understandably, but hes been a freak for the last 2 years, especially this year when he gave up basketball. I can definatly see him being a superstar. I think he has the athletic ability of Riweoldt and the miracles of Nathan Brown. Can do some freakish things. Will be a great pickup if we get him. Tough decisions this year for the club though, but after going to the debacle last night, we really need a big forward and IMO i think he could be part of the answer

fair enough

but i just think at this stage steven may is a better prospect but he is too young so there is no way we could possibly get him unless for some very lucky trade

(he was no. 15 in the grammar scotch game playing for grammar for those who saw)

MGS dominated the second half, and if it wasn't for their inability to convert chances, would have won by a street.

The other reason the scores were close was the stunningly biased performance of the men in yellow. MGS got slaughtered by the umpires. Were they Scotch teachers?

Note: Me Melb Grammar student ex, not biased but.

No unglish class get taught dare?