2008 National Draft:

dee-luded

personally i doubt whether Debour will be a top 20 pick, let alone a top 3 kick.

the guy has an unreliable kick... clubs don't want guys who cant kick these days, espcially not first round draftees. wasn't impressed by his in the nat championships...

Hurley will not get past Carlton's pick. they are DESPERATE for a full bak.

Naitainui will be a top 3 draft pick... full stop.

After drooling over the thought of getting Nick Nat all year, common sense tells me it`s gotta be Jack Watts.

While i definately don`t want to put the mozz on him. He could be the marquee KPP we desperately need.

Somenoe that makes kids buy jumpers and parents buy memberships.

personally i doubt whether Debour will be a top 20 pick, let alone a top 3 kick.

the guy has an unreliable kick... clubs don't want guys who cant kick these days, espcially not first round draftees. wasn't impressed by his in the nat championships...

Hurley will not get past Carlton's pick. they are DESPERATE for a full bak.

Naitainui will be a top 3 draft pick... full stop.

you just contradicted yourself. natanui has a shocking kick and he will be a top 3 pick.

I agree that DeBoer is far too high. From what I have seen of him his ball use is not good enough for a first round midfielder. I, personally, would be reluctant to draft him at all, particularly in Melbourne's position. I don't think Port will be his destination either, as they generally focus on players with skill as a prerequisite.

Naitanui is a risk, but I find it hard to have him out of the top 4. A ruckman's kicking is not especially important, and it is not deplorable just lacks polish. From watching him there is so much about the game that he doesn't yet know, and at worst you will have a competent ruckman.

I don't think Lisle will go that high. I just don't see the explosive athleticism. I also wouldn't be surprised if Hurley slipped further for the same reason. Banner is small and doesn't use the ball overly well, so I would be surprised if he was a first rounder.

Yarran looks too high. It wouldn't surprise me if he was named in the first dozen. He's a real talent, with a magnificent kick and class as a midfielder/forward.

I do enjoy seeing these, though.

seems logical....

My personal preference is back and forth between Watts and Rich. I have changed my mind many times already and will continue to do so until draft day i assume.

After Newton dispicable performance last weekend and our lack our KP forwards i have swung slightly Watts. The top 10 will be sooo different if the demons take Rich.

perhaps like this???

pick 1- DEES- Watts

pick 2- EAGLES- Rich -

pick 3- DOCK’S- Naita

pick 4- PORT- Hartlett

pick 5- DONS- Ziebell

pick 6- BLUES- Hurley

pick 7- TIGES - McKernan

pick 1- DEES- Watts

pick 2- EAGLES- Rich -

pick 3- DOCK’S- Naita

pick 4- PORT- Hartlett

pick 5- DONS- Ziebell

pick 6- BLUES- Hurley

pick 7- TIGES - McKernan

The Blues will definitely be gunning for Hurley if he's available when it's their turn, depends where they finish - its so hypothetical until the pointy end of the finals for the top 15-20...

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, with Fletcher and Michael just about finished, Essendon will be very very interested in Hurley at pick 5.

Like I said, "it depends where they finish"

Midfielders like Zaharikis are a dime a dozen. Full backs with Scarlett like skills are not.

I doubt Zaharakis will be top 15, but I really like him. And he has more pace than our slow mids. I wouldn't call him 'dime a dozen', but I know where you're coming from.

Midfielders like Zaharikis are a dime a dozen. Full backs with Scarlett like skills are not.

There is only one Matthew Scarlett. A bit of pace with skill would be nice, and would compliment the likes of McLean, Jones, etc.

Rich was sensational in the Vic Metro v W.A. Final if availiable we must take him.

The other stand out was TYRONE VICKERY.

A Rich / Vickery double would be an awesome outcome on draft day.

Vickery could go around the 15-25 pick IMO, could be an option, tall, presents, can mark. Did present well. I don't think he will go top 10.

• 2 weeks later...

Gold Coast signs kids. ---- http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl...0-19742,00.html

THE AFL's Gold Coast franchise has signed its first players, recruiting three teenage Queenslanders.

Charlie Dixon from Cairns and Gold Coast pair Jesse Haberfield and Jack Stanlake, all aged 17, are the first players to formally commit for the team which will make its debut in the TAC Cup Under-18 competition next year.

"This is a very important milestone and in years to come we will be able to look back and say these guys were the foundations of the building of the Gold Coast Football Club," said GC17 chairman John Witheriff.

"The Gold Coast team is scheduled to play in the TAC Cup next year, then move into the VFL in 2010 and join the AFL in 2011."

[[[ http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5016140,00.html ]]]

A SEVENTEEN-year-old footballer from Queensland will next year earn up to $75,000 without playing a single AFL game.

The lucrative financial package was announced yesterday by the AFL as part of the wave of concessions that will be granted to GC17, the Gold Coast team expected to enter the national competition in 2011.

GC17 has been given unfettered access to up to 20 Queensland-based teenagers over the next three years, allowing it to pick up talent without having to rely on national player drafts.

The teenagers, though, have the right to reject the Gold Coast team's approaches and enter the draft.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480905

2008 draft profiles - updated.

Jack Watts – 194cm, 85kg – Sandringham Dragons/Brighton Grammar

Tall mobile forward who is a very strong mark who leads to the right spots and has a good understanding of how a forward line should work. Very good skills and has a great ability to get through traffic for a big bloke. His evasiveness in close defies his size at times and is capable of side stepping midfielders. Lovely long right foot kick and is generally a good set shot for goal. His pace is good. Reads the game very well and was good when used in the midfield in one game I saw him play for Sandy. He managed to quarter back the game in periods and used the ball well on a wet day. The only real down side I have is he did not look all that effective in the very few quarters of games he was used in defence.

Prediction – top 3

Daniel Rich – 183cm, 83kg – Subiaco

Classy midfielder who has very good pace and good skill on both sides of the body. He struggled a bit during the champs with tags but he still managed to work his way into the games at various stages. His positioning and agility in and around stoppages is outstanding. Has the ability to lose his man in traffic which did not always pay off with possessions but will serve him well at AFL level. He is good overhead, has very good vision and is a quick thinker. Also a very reliable long range goal kicker. Kicks the ball 50 meters with ease. As far as down sides go the tags got to him a bit during this years champs so he will have to work a bit harder in that area. Another minor criticism I have from one of the champ games is he could have worked a bit harder as a small forward but overall he is a great midfielder.

Prediction – top 3

Nick Naitanui – 197cm, 95kg-Swan Districts.

Pace, big leap and athletic. Not a great kick and if he is running flat out he actually has to slow down a lot before he kicks the ball. His leap is a big advantage in the ruck and his palm work is pretty good. When he has the ball in his hand and is running forward he is very creative with his handball but the biggest concern I have is he is not a natural at reading the game. He gets caught out of position a lot and it reflects on the low amount of possession around the ground that he often has. Does not have a handle on running to the dangerous areas of the ground. I think he would actually make a sensational Rugby League or Union player because his peripheral vision with the ball in his hands is very good and he can hit team mates in space by hand very well when he is on the run. Personally I would not pick him if I had a top ten pick. In saying that he will get picked up in the top 10 because his athletic ability has to be seen to be believed.

Prediction – top 10

Michael Hurley – 192cm, 92kg – Northern Knights.

Has been the best defender in the last two Champ series. He has a smart footy brain and reads the play very well and will often direct his team mates on the where to be or where to run. In defence his communication skills are good and he will push forward to get involved in the play. Have seen him call a player back onto his man so he can get forward onto a different opponent and try and make things happen.

He is a lovely long right foot kick who can kick it 50 meters with ease and his left side is just as good. I have seen him easily kick the ball 50 meters on both sides of the body on a wet day.

His defensive skills are excellent and he has dominated any one on one duels.

The one question mark on him is his pace. He is not a lumberer but he does not have great speed off the mark and overall his pace is not great. He has made up for it at under 18 level with his great anticipation and reading of the play, the question is can he do that at AFL level.

Another string he does have to his bow is the fact that he has played a lot of TAC Cup footy at CHF. He has kicked bags of 6 a couple of times and has also kicked 2 or 3 goals from CHF in numerous games.

Prediction – top 6

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480905