Smith

????

????

Haddin

Johnson

Harris (hopefully)

Starc

Lyon

I guess we will go with Mitch Marsh and Watson. Neither inspire me with confidence. Anyone got a good idea for a top order batsman?

Watto/Rogers to open, Warner at first drop, Smith at 4,

I haven't posted on this thread for awhile for some unknown reason:

But for the first test, assuming Haddin & Harris are fit to play and Clarke is unfit I'd be going with:

C. Rogers

D. Warner

S. Watson

S. Smith

P. Handscomb

M. Marsh

+B. Haddin*

M. Johnson

R. Harris

N. Lyon

J. Hazlewood

12th Man: P. Siddle

Firstly I'd certainly keep Rogers in place of Hughes. Rogers had a shocking 2nd test v Pakistan but was solid in the first. I'd expect the plan with Rogers is for him to play until the end of the Ashes series next year given his knowledge of English conditions. There for I'd expect he'd be given the first two tests v India to score some runs.

Watson to bat at three, as he's the best option we have for that spot at the moment, and I'd also move Smith up to 4 and make him vice captain. Give him some good responsibility without throwing him to the wolves as captain just yet.

Haddin to be given the captaincy gig as he's the obvious choice, especially as it's only going to be on a short term basis and Lyon for mine holds his spot just from a quiet challenge from Fawad Ahmed who's taken 14 wickets @ 27 in 3 Shield Matches so far. Lyon bowls at his best in our conditions, but please lets not take him on a tour of an asian nation again!

But as for my two biggest inclusions. I'd favour Josh Hazlewood over Peter Siddle who unfortunatly I think is cooked. He seems to have become ineffective in test cricket, and with Hazlewood's extra pace and bounce, I think he'll compliment Johnson & Harris nicely. Given we also have the medium pace of Watson & Marsh to call on, I think the stock bowler of Siddle is less necessary then what it once was.

And finally, the man to replace Michael Clarke, I've gone with a left field choice of young Victorian Peter Handscomb. Reasons being that after 3 Shield rounds he's the leading run scorer with 348 runs @ 116.00, 24 more runs then equal second place Joe Burns & Callum Ferguson, despite the fact Handscomb has batted two less innings then both. With two centuries and a 50 in 4 innings, Handscomb is well and truly in form and at only 23 years of age he's a true batting talent that we haven't seen a lot of recently. He's capable of openning the batting and batting in the middle order, as you'll see from his first class matches over the years. He's a good fieldsman who can also keep wicket, and despite the fact that his career average so far is only 35.73, Michael Clarke made his test debut with a similar average due to his huge potential, and we've seen how his star rose. Otherwise our other options suck as Ferguson, Doolan, S. Marsh & Khawaja with all similar first class averages, hwoever all in the mid 20's to 30 and scope for improvement not as great.

I don't think Handscomb will be picked, they'll likely go with Ferguson, but I think this is a real opportunity for the selectors to be bold and pick a young player on the way up at just the right time.

Like your thinking there TD

If Clarke is out I'd find room for Watson as we'll need his experience ... anyway, Lehmann has indicated that Watson and Mitch Marsh could both play and the selectors might decide to persevere with Doolan or give Hughes another shot at it.

I tend to think they'll bring in a new player ... Handscomb, Burns, Maddinson and Ferguson all have claims but it might even be someone else. Khawaja & S Marsh could be in the mix as you indicated.

Smith could bat at no.4 and I believe he could even bat at no.3 in the future - he's improving as each year goes by. Watson would be better suited down the order so he could take Smith's spot at no.5.

Which leads us back to the no.3 spot - it's Doolan or Hughes or a new player in my opinion. Burns made 183 at the Gabba last weekend so he'd be my 'smoky'

As for the bowling, only Johnson & Harris (if fit) are assured of spots although I reckon Lyon will probably play ... the 3rd seamer could come from Siddle, Starc or Hazlewood.

Apparently the team is going to be announced on Monday.

I haven't posted on this thread for awhile for some unknown reason:

But for the first test, assuming Haddin & Harris are fit to play and Clarke is unfit I'd be going with:

C. Rogers

D. Warner

S. Watson

S. Smith

P. Handscomb

M. Marsh

+B. Haddin*

M. Johnson

R. Harris

N. Lyon

J. Hazlewood

12th Man: P. Siddle

Firstly I'd certainly keep Rogers in place of Hughes. Rogers had a shocking 2nd test v Pakistan but was solid in the first. I'd expect the plan with Rogers is for him to play until the end of the Ashes series next year given his knowledge of English conditions. There for I'd expect he'd be given the first two tests v India to score some runs.

Watson to bat at three, as he's the best option we have for that spot at the moment, and I'd also move Smith up to 4 and make him vice captain. Give him some good responsibility without throwing him to the wolves as captain just yet.

Haddin to be given the captaincy gig as he's the obvious choice, especially as it's only going to be on a short term basis and Lyon for mine holds his spot just from a quiet challenge from Fawad Ahmed who's taken 14 wickets @ 27 in 3 Shield Matches so far. Lyon bowls at his best in our conditions, but please lets not take him on a tour of an asian nation again!

But as for my two biggest inclusions. I'd favour Josh Hazlewood over Peter Siddle who unfortunatly I think is cooked. He seems to have become ineffective in test cricket, and with Hazlewood's extra pace and bounce, I think he'll compliment Johnson & Harris nicely. Given we also have the medium pace of Watson & Marsh to call on, I think the stock bowler of Siddle is less necessary then what it once was.

And finally, the man to replace Michael Clarke, I've gone with a left field choice of young Victorian Peter Handscomb. Reasons being that after 3 Shield rounds he's the leading run scorer with 348 runs @ 116.00, 24 more runs then equal second place Joe Burns & Callum Ferguson, despite the fact Handscomb has batted two less innings then both. With two centuries and a 50 in 4 innings, Handscomb is well and truly in form and at only 23 years of age he's a true batting talent that we haven't seen a lot of recently. He's capable of openning the batting and batting in the middle order, as you'll see from his first class matches over the years. He's a good fieldsman who can also keep wicket, and despite the fact that his career average so far is only 35.73, Michael Clarke made his test debut with a similar average due to his huge potential, and we've seen how his star rose. Otherwise our other options suck as Ferguson, Doolan, S. Marsh & Khawaja with all similar first class averages, hwoever all in the mid 20's to 30 and scope for improvement not as great.

I don't think Handscomb will be picked, they'll likely go with Ferguson, but I think this is a real opportunity for the selectors to be bold and pick a young player on the way up at just the right time.

Really sad when we say Watson the best option at 3.{but its heading that way]

Cant believe Hughes name keeps getting mentioned when Doolan has at least shown more grit and fighting quality over his wicket than Hughes.

Like the way you throw in a bogdy like Handscomb.{at least your thinking laterally something the selectors dont}

Lyon{whom i think bowls nude nuts}has fought his way into the team for his performance against the odds in india and the failed AAAO affair.And earnt his stripes.

Really sad when we say Watson the best option at 3.{but its heading that way]

Cant believe Hughes name keeps getting mentioned when Doolan has at least shown more grit and fighting quality over his wicket than Hughes.

Like the way you throw in a bogdy like Handscomb.{at least your thinking laterally something the selectors dont}

Lyon{whom i think bowls nude nuts}has fought his way into the team for his performance against the odds in india and the failed AAAO affair.And earnt his stripes.

Like it or not Watson is the best option at three and is likely to be for some time if you care to consider technique and stroke making.

Biggest obstacle is fitness and has been for some years.

Test squad

Michael Clarke* ©

Brad Haddin (vc)

Ryan Harris

Josh Hazlewood

Mitchell Johnson

Nathan Lyon

Mitchell Marsh

Chris Rogers

Peter Siddle

Steve Smith

David Warner

Shane Watson

*A replacement batsman hasn't been named as yet (if Clarke is unavailable) Apparently the selectors want to look at the next round of Shield games (starting tomorrow)

Two days until Clarke fitness decision

Rod Marsh, the chairman of selectors, said the uncapped Hazlewood had been in excellent form in the recent ODI series against South Africa and had earned his call-up.

"Josh is a young player of great talent and he thoroughly deserves this opportunity," Marsh said. "He has impressed in the recent one-day series and we are excited to see what he can produce if given the opportunity in Brisbane.

Test squad

Michael Clarke* ©

Brad Haddin (vc)

Ryan Harris

Josh Hazlewood

Mitchell Johnson

Nathan Lyon

Mitchell Marsh

Chris Rogers

Peter Siddle

Steve Smith

David Warner

Shane Watson

*A replacement batsman hasn't been named as yet (if Clarke is unavailable) Apparently the selectors want to look at the next round of Shield games (starting tomorrow)

Two days until Clarke fitness decision

I'd say Hazlewood is as good as home to make his debut. I'd say the only chance Siddle has of making the XI is if Rhino doesn't quite get up if he's sore after his comeback Shield games.

I'm suprised they haven't named a replacement for Clarke already, I'd be amazed if he's fit to play the 1st Test.

I just pray if not Shaun Marsh or Phil Hughes. Hughes should only come back in once Rogers time has gone and Marsh just isn't good enough. His first class average (for someone who's 30) suggests as much. I'd rather as I said early, see Peter Handscomb given a go, or failing that Joe Burns or worst case scenario one of Callum Ferguson or Adam Voges given the chance to see how they go at the next level.

I'd say Hazlewood is as good as home to make his debut. I'd say the only chance Siddle has of making the XI is if Rhino doesn't quite get up if he's sore after his comeback Shield games.

I'm suprised they haven't named a replacement for Clarke already, I'd be amazed if he's fit to play the 1st Test.

I just pray if not Shaun Marsh or Phil Hughes. Hughes should only come back in once Rogers time has gone and Marsh just isn't good enough. His first class average (for someone who's 30) suggests as much. I'd rather as I said early, see Peter Handscomb given a go, or failing that Joe Burns or worst case scenario one of Callum Ferguson or Adam Voges given the chance to see how they go at the next level.

The conclusion I've come to is that either there are a number of players in the running or they need someone to put their hand up big time ... wouldn't hurt for any of the batsmen to make a big hundred in any of the 3 shield matches (starting tomorrow)

At least they all know where they stand ... get the job done and you might just get picked for your country. I've warmed to the idea on this occasion.

The conclusion I've come to is that either there are a number of players in the running or they need someone to put their hand up big time ... wouldn't hurt for any of the batsmen to make a big hundred in any of the 3 shield matches (starting tomorrow)

At least they all know where they stand ... get the job done and you might just get picked for your country. I've warmed to the idea on this occasion.

Hughes and Ferguson both have a real chance to press for a place with a big innings against a very good NSW attack.

Hughes and Ferguson both have a real chance to press for a place with a big innings against a very good NSW attack.

Well that's a bit awkward.

All thoughts are with Hughesy. Really hope he can pull through. Clarke's fitness battle with the selectors and who will be in our top 6 batsmen is much less important now

• Like 2

Well that's a bit awkward.

All thoughts are with Hughesy. Really hope he can pull through. Clarke's fitness battle with the selectors and who will be in our top 6 batsmen is much less important now

Shame as he was on the way to a very good ton.

Cricket is the least of Phil's worries at present, all we can do is wish him well.

I was following the game on cricinfo.com and to be honest felt sick in the guts as the drama unfolded.

• Like 1

Wishing Phillip a full and speedy recovery ... my thoughts and prayers are for him and his family.

Just like you Smithy, I felt quite ill when hearing the news.

Not looking good.

Still find it hard to believe it's happening - who would have thought you could leave to play cricket one day and not come home ?

His poor family and friends must be beside themselves.

:(

Alan Jones reports this afternoon that Phil has damaged an artery and is breathing only with assistance.

More serious than most of us thought.

Not good.