Jimmy Stynes

Chelly

Am suprised no one posted this before.. Yes theres rumours of the bloodless coup etc.

I must admit I dont particularly have any favourites in this regard. I applaud a staunch club man for tipping ( probably ) his hat into the ring. HOWEVER !!

I make no besmerchment of th egreat Jimmy...but what does he actually stand for ?? What are his priorites regarding this great club ? What is his vision and what does he hope to achieve ?? Ive heard nothing.. I want to know. I dont hink anyone ought to be a shoe in just because of a reputaion...no one. !!

Paul undoubtedly knows his time is comingto an end and he probably relished the idea of seeing his family again. Thanks Paul..you have done quite well under trying circumstances.

So what does the great "Jimma" anticipate that his reign might bring ?? Im genuinely intrigued and curious.

First of all Paul Gardner deserves to bow out when he is ready, maybe the end of the season. Like I've said on this forum a few times, he has addressed issues that were ignored by previous administrations. Under Gardner we have reduced debt and finally found a home. He has overseen the appointment of a new coach and has secured the big scalps of Connolly and McNamee. Gardner will leave this club in a much better state than he found it.

Secondly I'm not sure Stynes is the right man for the job. He was my favourite player growing up and his work with Reach is outstanding. But does he have the business sense? AFL is a cut throat industry and although I don't doubt Stynes will bring plenty of passion to the club I worry about his ability to make business decisions.

The last player to become president was Ian Ridley, plenty of passion but did he make good business decisions? No.

Secondly I'm not sure Stynes is the right man for the job. But does he have the business sense? AFL is a cut throat industry and although I don't doubt Stynes will bring plenty of passion to the club I worry about his ability to make business decisions.

The last player to become president was Ian Ridley, plenty of passion but did he make good business decisions? No.

I understand your concerns and think they're worthy of concern, although half the battle to being a good Chairman is galvanising the Club, and I think this is the Ace up Stynes' sleeve. It's also the role being played by Brayshaw at North. Was Alan Bond good at the Tigers, or Lindsay Fox at the Saints. Being a President/Chairman is more than just business savvy.

Although, as I said, I understand your concerns.

I've been a Paul Gardner supporter, but I think it's the right time to go.

I think that he's done a good job. As people have said, he's reduced the club's debt, whilst increasing football department expenditure. If we weren't injury riddled last season and made the finals like we were capable of, I would imagine the Melbourne Footall Club wouldn't be the focus of all the media attention claiming we're in trouble, and it would be smooth sailing. He's also helped us find a new home at the Olympic Park precinct.

But I think Paul has taken us as far as he can, and a new board led by Jim Stynes is the way forward. Jim will be fresh into the job, he will be highly enthusiastic and motivated to do well. It's not Paul Gardner's fault, but after you've been in the job for a long time, your enthusiasm can wane, especially as he's a very busy working man on top of being Melbourne president. It's not his fault, it's just human nature.

Paul has said before he's a somewhat reluctant president and that he would be open to change. I really hope he meant it and after presiding over the 150 heroes dinner, he hands over the reigns to one Jim Stynes. A man who will galvanise the club, and take MELBOURNEfc into the future.

Yeah, I think this is practically an inviational, it's so bloodless.

Gardner has indicated a few times in the past that he would be happy to step down if a quality alternative put his name forward - I remember some people were truly outraged when he said that there was 'more to life than football'. To those people I'd just like to ask how many hours a week do they work for free to help Melbourne stay competitive?

Gardner will be credited with 'stopping the rot' at the club and changing an unporfessional culture in club administration, as well as being the individual who finally gave full and necessary attention to sorting out a proper home facility.

I think the fresh face, charisma and energy of Stynes is a good next step as we drive back into the daylight at last.

Yeah, I think this is practically an inviational, it's so bloodless.

Gardner has indicated a few times in the past that he would be happy to step down if a quality alternative put his name forward - I remember some people were truly outraged when he said that there was 'more to life than football'. To those people I'd just like to ask how many hours a week do they work for free to help Melbourne stay competitive?

Gardner will be credited with 'stopping the rot' at the club and changing an unporfessional culture in club administration, as well as being the individual who finally gave full and necessary attention to sorting out a proper home facility.

I think the fresh face, charisma and energy of Stynes is a good next step as we drive back into the daylight at last.

The current Board came in via election for which the incoming Board members had to put up their credentials to all the members and all MFC members had some say in which individuals became MFC Directors. Whilst it is good to avoid a bloddy and expensive battle and unnecessary cost us ordinary MFC members should not be entirely excluded from the process. That is the concern with Jimmy simply taking over as new MFC chairman. As BB (above) and others like Greg Denam(?) on SEN during the week have noted we have know idea yest whatJimmy stands for or what his and the incoming ticket stands for or plans to do. This must be outlined to the MFC faithful before any handover occurs. The current MFC Directors also need to see what is on offer if they are expected to hand over to a new ticket.

Also, as part of that process each of the current MFC Board members who wish to remain on the Board need to set out their cerdentials and what they believe they offer the MFC. This in particular applies to the current Directors who have been invited on to the Board. This means not merely listing their business qualifications but demonstrating how they have contributed to the MFC during their time on the Board.

Clearly, Paul G's stint needs to end and after 5 years there needs to be new enthusiasm at Board level to be part of re-engaging the MFC faithful and motivate and re-involve various elements of the MFC family. Change is needed now so will compliment and not restrain the efforts of the new CEO Paul Mac, CC and DB and also a new MFC captain in 2009. There is no benefit in delaying this change more than necessary. The options are (1) after QB game on 9 June, (2) after the actual 150th anniversary game on Friday 8 August against Geelong (followed imediately by the Olympics opening ceremony!) or (3) at end of the season. As the 150th game is ony 3 games from end of year no benefit of this compared with after the season.

The important thing is for the process to be inclusive of all elements of the club so that everyone will support the new regime and be willing to contribute to the MFC going forward. This is vital to ensure the survival of the MFC.

Watch the boys train this morning and Jimmy was there.

Was on his phone most of the time but when they walked in he stayed out and had a chat to Dean Bailey for about 10 minutes.

Gave a handpass to Austin and that was about it.