1987 Prelim

Just noticed in the Green Guide, for anyone (gasp!) not at the 'G on Sunday afternoon...

Seven are replaying highlights from the 1987 Prelim Final, Melb v. Hawthorn at 2pm on Footy Flashbacks.

Last chance to see Robbie Flower. Last time my heart got broken like that..

Garry Buckenara and Jim Stynes also re-create the famous running over the mark and shot for goal after the siren during this telecast as well, there was a photo of it in the paper the other day from the housing estate that Waverley Park now is...

Having been there at that terrible day, I have never watched the replay of it.

I recall watching the 2nd half at VFL Park and feeling it was all unravelling as MFC tried to defend its lead and lost the initiative it had shown in the first half.

For the real masochists only.

It is bad memories but boy was it a good game. Great return year to the finals for the Dees. But let's be honest, we would never have beaten Carlton.

I recall watching the 2nd half at VFL Park and feeling it was all unravelling as MFC tried to defend its lead and lost the initiative it had shown in the first half.

For the real masochists only.

Ditto.

I sometimes replay bits of it in my brain. Like Eishold running into goal and... (too horrible to say!)

I remember getting sunburnt, and sitting in the car park for an eternity afterwards, unable to move in the mass of cars and quite frankly, not actually wanting to go anywhere.

Too dreadful!

Guest fatty
I sometimes replay bits of it in my brain. Like Eishold running into goal and... (too horrible to say!)

I've watched that game about 50 times. I still can't get over it.

I burst into tears and my mate inadvertantly punched his girlfriend.

From approx. Rd12, it was my best time as a supporter of the club. Also the worst.

Everytime I drive past the Kenneth Luke Stand, I'm reminded.

Someone should burn that place down. Or at least divert the freeway.

I remember what a sunny day it was & the wind changing direction -- going our way. also as the last quarter began & there was that feeling that we were on our way to the GF. not that it made up for it, but the year after at waverley, in the wet when sean wight played a blinder & we beat carlton to get into the 88 GF, is a happy memory. celebrating in the mud of the car park. (not that i can bear to think of the week after).

" But let's be honest, we would never have beaten Carlton."

People keep saying that, but we DID beat Carlton THREE times the next season, including in the finals.

We had so much momentum and spirit we'd have knocked that lack-lustre Carlton side off the next week, had Yeats, Campbell, or Eishold not missed sitters that would have sealed the match, or John Kennedy's poster at the 11 min mark of Q.4 not been incorrectly called a goal.

The team doctor told me the week after the GF that Flower WOULD have played in the GF(with pain-killers).

I remember what a sunny day it was & the wind changing direction -- going our way. also as the last quarter began & there was that feeling that we were on our way to the GF. not that it made up for it, but the year after at waverley, in the wet when sean wight played a blinder & we beat carlton to get into the 88 GF, is a happy memory. celebrating in the mud of the car park. (not that i can bear to think of the week after).

and Strawb got himself reported... hey I remember that mud!

The team doctor told me the week after the GF that Flower WOULD have played in the GF(with pain-killers).

Of course he would have, AND we'd have won it for Robbie!

Everytime I drive past the Kenneth Luke Stand, I'm reminded.

Someone should burn that place down. Or at least divert the freeway.

Too funny !!! :lol: :lol:

Wasn't it great, that feeling you got every time watching Spalding lining up for goal.. :D

Yes I was there. Sitting just in front of the Big Scoeboard. I will never watch a replay of it, can't. Our car was parked very close to the Hawthorn Cheer Squad and we were stuck by it for about 2 hours after the game. I couldn't speak!!!

And then We were Supposed to Merge with Them!!! Life stinks sometimes

does anyone remember the radio coverage, saying that hinch & stuart spencer were heading for the umpires' rooms to complain. we were stuck in the car park (like most people) & were shattered (like all demons) but on the news of that complaining scenario, saying 'oh, no, things are bad enough.' i'm not in melbourne but i gather hinch doesn't even barrack for us any more!

does anyone remember the radio coverage, saying that hinch & stuart spencer were heading for the umpires' rooms to complain. we were stuck in the car park (like most people) & were shattered (like all demons) but on the news of that complaining scenario, saying 'oh, no, things are bad enough.' i'm not in melbourne but i gather hinch doesn't even barrack for us any more!

Yes apparently Hinch Stormed Towards the Umpires Rooms!!! He was a Big Robbie Flower Fan,but after he retired Hinch apparently Gave 'em up!! What a [censored] he really is. Sad Bastard you are Hinch "The Talking Beard"

Yeah. Was there too. Only time I cried at the footy. Great memories of that period though. My greatest times with the Dees! Bit hard on Eishold though. Campbell, Jackson, Yeats all missed sitters as well. I too have not watched a replay, as my therapist does not reccomend it.

Hinch giving up on us is such a Melbourne supporter thing to do, made worse with media types. I left Melbourne (city) in August so forgive me if I'm not up on recent developments, but Neil Mitchell blows hot and cold on supporting them & buys a Footscray membership 'to help out'. Garry Lyon won't stick his neck out; Mike Sheahan seems to be afraid to put his head above the parapet as a supporter. you know, all through the media are collingwood, essendon, st kilda, carltank fanatics but all those w. MFC allegiances remain "neutral". wishy-washy, more like it.