Sylvia

Jerry Lundergard

In my mind the 2 best picks have been Cooney (#1) and Adcock (#32).

Is this the same bloke that you've been slagging off for the past 2 years. And what relevance does where a player was drafted 5 years ago have with today? Sylvia should be assessed as to where he is at as footballer now, not as a no. 3 pick in the 2003 draft.

People should note that players can progress from being good players to elite players over a short period of time. Two seasons ago, Bartel and Ablett were considered good players, but had flaws in their games which would prevent them from being in the elite. Cooney falls into the same bracket.

Assessments of McLean and Sylvia are constantly based on the expectation of where they were drafted, rather than what they've achieved. Ironically, Cam Bruce isn't given the same slack as a no. 64 pick.

If Sylvia and McLean are given the opportunity to play to their strengths, they could both turn out to be better than "good" footballers.

Hard to get worse when you've done nothing for 5 years.

He is running harder and has a bit more speed, that's good. He still has minimal to no impact on games, that's nothing new.

He is running harder but only in 1 direction. He like 75% of the team at the moment refuse to run back as hard as they run forward

Is this the same bloke that you've been slagging off for the past 2 years. And what relevance does where a player was drafted 5 years ago have with today? Sylvia should be assessed as to where he is at as footballer now, not as a no. 3 pick in the 2003 draft.

People should note that players can progress from being good players to elite players over a short period of time. Two seasons ago, Bartel and Ablett were considered good players, but had flaws in their games which would prevent them from being in the elite. Cooney falls into the same bracket.

Assessments of McLean and Sylvia are constantly based on the expectation of where they were drafted, rather than what they've achieved. Ironically, Cam Bruce isn't given the same slack as a no. 64 pick.

If Sylvia and McLean are given the opportunity to play to their strengths, they could both turn out to be better than "good" footballers.

I have said in the past that Cooney has not delivered on his substantial ability thus far. This has been his best year to date. And he is only player in this draft that has the possibility of being elite. And it will take him two years to get there IMO.

The relevance is that those that were critical of our choices to pick McLean and Sylvia should consider what other options were available to MFC. BTW, if you had read my post and not go for a cheap misguided point score, the assessment of Sylvia actually is based on the current situation of the player.

BTW, I dont believe 2 years (50 or so games) to be a short period of time for elevation. I also believe that well talented players can move from good to elite within a 2 years time period.

Ablett was also a superior player and Bartel a more than capable player. Both have taken a further step over the past two years.

The assessments of McLean and Sylvia have been based on what was expectation of the players being ultimately "stars" that would have been received with picks 3 and 5. Many have seen CAC's 2003 assessments of both players and have been entranced by the potential upside. I think that has had to have been mellowed some what.

Cam Bruce has achieved a hell of a lot from pick 64 in 1999 and Miller has been a serviceable player from pick 55.

i think sylvia really needs to focus on doing the few things he does well. he is a good kick at goal. so when he takes a mark within 50 he needs to make sure of it. when running into goal, he needs to kick them from 50. if he throws himself in the contest and uses the ball when he gets it, i wont care if he only gets 15 touches, as long as he uses them all. at the moment i think he is floating a little. 15 touches but no real impact.

He's clearly improving and in a good team would look like a talented up and comer.

He's averaged 18 disposals this year compared to 13 last year and in general has good disposal.

He's clearly improving and in a good team would look like a talented up and comer.

He's averaged 18 disposals this year compared to 13 last year and in general has good disposal.

good to see his disposal average is up. i agree it does look like he is getting more of the footy. do you think those extra 5 touches have been valuable however, or perhaps easier kicks in the backline rather than trying to win his own ball in the midfield?

good to see his disposal average is up. i agree it does look like he is getting more of the footy. do you think those extra 5 touches have been valuable however, or perhaps easier kicks in the backline rather than trying to win his own ball in the midfield?

In the main they've been valuable as Sylvia hasn't learnt how to get lots of cheap possessions. It's one of the things that holds him back in the midfield.

He is running harder but only in 1 direction. He like 75% of the team at the moment refuse to run back as hard as they run forward

He does run back, just hasn't that much clue where to run.

Watched him yesterday a few times make bad decisions when Lions ran ball through the midfield. One thing in his defence is being a junior star and playing his senior football club at MFC he would never have been taught what to do in those situations.

excellent post.

excellent post.

Sylvia easily has the attributes required to be an A Grader. Reads the play well, good disposal, strong mark for his size, strong body, aggressive, pace seems to be returning.

His move to half back has seen him become more involved in the game. And essentially thats his (and Bailey's) challenge, to move from all too brief cameos to leading man.

Sylvia easily has the attributes required to be an A Grader. Reads the play well, good disposal, strong mark for his size, strong body, aggressive, pace seems to be returning.

His move to half back has seen him become more involved in the game. And essentially thats his (and Bailey's) challenge, to move from all too brief cameos to leading man.

Whether or not they are cheap possesion is not an issue. He normally got low possesion counts in the hardest parts of the ground i.e centre and half forward. Let him develop for a year in one position and enjoy just playing the one position.

I reckon he could become a Jason Johnston type who could die a slow death at half forward but cut you up across half back/centre or even wing.

Sylvia's frustrated me in past seasons (and at times this season), not because of any expectations because of his draft pick, but simply because he wasn't doing enough.

This season, Sylvia's done enough to secure his spot in the 22, which is something I'm happy about, considering his previous performances.

That said, he needs to continue to improve. I'm not sold on the idea of him as a backman yet, and it's hard to judge as the team is performing quite poorly.

He is getting better, problem is he is still not at the level a top pick should be at this point in his career.

Once a guy's on a list he should be judged based on his merits as a footballer, not based on which round he went in the draft (as mo has said).

Leave that kind of stuff to judgements on our recruitment.

I'm not sure he does read the play well - he very often got lost around the win/half-forward flank, stuck in no man's land.

I think that a move to defence probably helps that side of things.