Paul Williams talks

Mousey

Paul Williams talks about Morton, Moloney, Valenti and getting back a few guys this week. It's has slight amount of footage of a few players including Morton.

They said that Morton got 27 disposals on his debut against the Tigers!! Wow I was not aware of that!!!

Enjoy and VERY SORRY if this has been posted already!!

http://192.148.123.44/wm9.streaming.telstr...liamsOUTPUT.wmv

Paul Williams talks about Morton, Moloney, Valenti and getting back a few guys this week. It's has slight amount of footage of a few players including Morton.

They said that Morton got 27 disposals on his debut against the Tigers!! Wow I was not aware of that!!!

Enjoy and VERY SORRY if this has been posted already!!

http://192.148.123.44/wm9.streaming.telstr...liamsOUTPUT.wmv

Thanks for the post. Good to see some of the guns coming back.

I just admit I wondered why Williams was kept on... It probably wasn't his fault, but our midfield were no good last year. I supposed there was no reason NOT to keep him on, but there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to retain him either... Behind closed doors he must have gained some respect.

I deleted Redfin's post. Redfin we encourage opinions but they should be supported by solid arguments if they are as negative as yours.

Please keep this in mind in future.

Thanks

Fan

Good to see you are still around, what is the point of deleting it if it's quoted in other responses.?

You only have to look at the way we try to play to understand what I dislike about what he has brought to MFC.

He should have been given the arse.

Keep up the good work.

I'm staggered at all the Williams bashing. Last year, the fit midfielders he had at his disposal were Junior, Godfrey and Jones. Exactly what miracles was everyone expecting?

I agree he deserved a second year to work his magic. However, I have to wonder, and watching that video I feel somewhat vindicated, exactly what Williams brings to the table, aside from experience. Is he actually able to convey this experience in an effective manner? Is he able to inspire the midfield unit to put their heads over the footy and play the game hard? Looking at that interview it just seems to me like he is another ex-footballer-cum-assistant who has nothing to teach anybody but the same old soggy cliches. And I'm sure we've all seen enough young footy players in the media to know that those cliches are ingrained from birth.

I may be wrong, and I hope that I am, but that interview did nothing to inspire me (well, apart from Cale Morton have 27 bloody possessions in his first hit-out!).

I agree he deserved a second year to work his magic. However, I have to wonder, and watching that video I feel somewhat vindicated, exactly what Williams brings to the table, aside from experience. Is he actually able to convey this experience in an effective manner? Is he able to inspire the midfield unit to put their heads over the footy and play the game hard? Looking at that interview it just seems to me like he is another ex-footballer-cum-assistant who has nothing to teach anybody but the same old soggy cliches. And I'm sure we've all seen enough young footy players in the media to know that those cliches are ingrained from birth.

I may be wrong, and I hope that I am, but that interview did nothing to inspire me (well, apart from Cale Morton have 27 bloody possessions in his first hit-out!).

Haven't seen the footage yet and I assume he is getting another year because of all the injuries. I suppose it's also quite possible that they wanted to keep one coach from 2007 rather than having an entirely new coaching panel.

You only have to look at the way we try to play to understand what I dislike about what he has brought to MFC.

Unless you were involved in the inner workings of the Footy department you would not be able to make an informed judgement of what he brought. Especially with the depletion of the team through injury.

I am neither for or against Williams but I cant see how you can draw much from media interviews where you are required and trained to roll out a number of standard cliches. Some footy coaches are good at the media game. Some footy coaches are not. I would prefer to assess a Footy coach on football issues that I can validly assess. FWIW I would rather a footy coach teach the midfield unit than just inspire them.

I am neither for or against Williams but I cant see how you can draw much from media interviews where you are required and trained to roll out a number of standard cliches. Some footy coaches are good at the media game. Some footy coaches are not. I would prefer to assess a Footy coach on football issues that I can validly assess. FWIW I would rather a footy coach teach the midfield unit than just inspire them.

Thats exactly what I said. Can he actually teach them what he knows? Inspiration is a secondary consideration, but its a consideration nonetheless.

And I know, it's a footy interview. These blokes aren't employed for there linguistic skills and wit. But even so, with some coaches you can actually get a sense that they think about the game a bit differently, perhaps a bit more astutely or with a more innovative approach, just by listening to them speak. Williams doesn't give that impression, but as you say you can't always judge from an interview.

Like I said, he deserves an extra year, but he will need to turn potential into results to win a new contract.

Very hard to judge our midfield coaches because our ruck stocks aren't what we would like them to be.

Whitey got legislated out of the game with the ruck circle.

PJ is just getting back from a bad injury...so insufficient time to judge.

The Russian is serviceable but not dominating.

Meeson looks like he plays more like a tall Ruckrover / 3rd ruck option

The future blueprint of AFL ruckman now looks to be 200cm + giants...we have one, but he's 18 years old.

Until we develop our ruck stocks our midfielders will invariably be playing catch-up / sharking contests

Until we develop our ruck stocks our midfielders will invariably be playing catch-up / sharking contests

There were a number of games both involving MFC and not, where despite the ruckman dominating, the midfield got crunched. In two games last year against Carlton and Richmond, White dominated the ruck but we lost nearly every clearance and contest. When he played Sandilands got his had on the ball first every time but Freo's midfield were putty last year.

I dont think a midfield's performance is necessary tied to the rucks. In fact the importance of a dominating ruckman is overstated in the modern game. the future ruckman is another midfielder tall (198cm +), mobile, good ball skills and a capable reader of the play. At the moment there is only one premier ruckman in the competition....Cox. Sandilands is overrated. He is tall, lacks mobility, phyisical strength and balance and football smarts.

I dont think a midfield's performance is necessary tied to the rucks. In fact the importance of a dominating ruckman is overstated in the modern game. the future ruckman is another midfielder tall (198cm +), mobile, good ball skills and a capable reader of the play. At the moment there is only one premier ruckman in the competition....Cox. Sandilands is overrated. He is tall, lacks mobility, phyisical strength and balance and football smarts.

I think you're underestimating the impact of Brendan Lade. One of the best tap ruckmen I've seen, plus has the other skills mentioned.

Guest MFC4Life
I think you're underestimating the impact of Brendan Lade. One of the best tap ruckmen I've seen, plus has the other skills mentioned.

Good call mo. The older Lade's become the better he's been. No wonder Carlton offered him a fortune and a three year contract at the end of last year.

Aye.. the stats have a lie embedded in them..."winning the ruck contest" as opposed to "winning the ruck contest to effect". A great tap ruckman can give his midfielders an armchair ride...just slapping the ball anywhere doesn't.

Don't buy into the "modern trend" arguement about modern ruckmen...its just means there aren't a lot of outstandingly high quality tap ruckmen around at the moment.

Guest MFC4Life
Sandilands is overrated. He is tall, lacks mobility, phyisical strength and balance and football smarts.

Yeah but what would our backline do if they decided to sit him in the goalsquare. Unfortunatley he's learnt to mark. Holland would be our Luke Skywalker in that situation.

Thats exactly what I said. Can he actually teach them what he knows? Inspiration is a secondary consideration, but its a consideration nonetheless.

And I know, it's a footy interview. These blokes aren't employed for there linguistic skills and wit. But even so, with some coaches you can actually get a sense that they think about the game a bit differently, perhaps a bit more astutely or with a more innovative approach, just by listening to them speak. Williams doesn't give that impression, but as you say you can't always judge from an interview.

Like I said, he deserves an extra year, but he will need to turn potential into results to win a new contract.

Diablo,

You are spot on again.

I too have doubts as to whether Williams has anything to offer.

First-year coaches need to have a vision, like Brett Ratten did in his one and only year that the players' follow. Last season our midfield was probably the worst in the comp.

Aye.. the stats have a lie embedded in them..."winning the ruck contest" as opposed to "winning the ruck contest to effect". A great tap ruckman can give his midfielders an armchair ride...just slapping the ball anywhere doesn't.

Don't buy into the "modern trend" arguement about modern ruckmen...its just means there aren't a lot of outstandingly high quality tap ruckmen around at the moment.

That's my argument. There only one great ruckman around...thats Cox. One of the great lies is that ruckwork focusses on the centre circle. The rule changes have prevented a ruckman getting considerable advantage on the palm out. Ruckwork these days is also about mobility and ball skills. Very few ruckman have that. In the past very few ruckman had that. These days it is demanded and many bigger players like Jolly, Sandilands get found out when the ball is the open. That what makes Cox such a damaging proposition. Even more so with a damaging midfield.

Last year, when WCE had Kerr, Judd and Cousins out Cox rattled up huge possesssions. It did not stop WCE getting pumped. Sydney won one and nearly another flag with ordinary rucks. Geelong belted the opposition in 2007 and they had Ottens.

No not at all. He had a good year last year. Did nothing in the GF last year. He is borderline.

That's one dominating ruckman and one who is better than average. Not much out of 16 teams with approx. 3 ruckman each.

Yeah but what would our backline do if they decided to sit him in the goalsquare. Unfortunatley he's learnt to mark. Holland would be our Luke Skywalker in that situation.

Dead Easy.

Cut the supply in the midfield.

He is not quick and would not be flash on the lead. And double team him in a contested situation. He is rather immobile and poorly balanced.

Diablo,

First-year coaches need to have a vision, like Brett Ratten did in his one and only year that the players' follow. Last season our midfield was probably the worst in the comp.

In Ratten's only year at MFC, he had a fit Scott Thompson as our No 1 midfielder and Jeff White as an AA ruck slaying the opposition. Its easy then the midfield coach looks good but in reality how would you know. Thompson went injured, White tired in R18 and MFC were crap. he had an armchair run in the midfield relative to what recent midfield coaches like Rock have had.

Ratten has had such vision at CFC he is 0 and 10.

Our midfield was the worst in the comp because aside from Junior and Jones our best midfield was not on the field.

Ratten has had such vision at CFC he is 0 and 10.

I actually think that Ratten did his job perfectly last year.

When he took over their season was well and truly over and he had an opportunity to gain another 1st pp in the draft, of course his 2 danger games were both against Melbourne but he managed pick the right players and get the results they needed. The outcome was adding Judd and Kruezer to their list and in contrast Melbourne had to trade their most talented midfielder to get an extra 1st round pick.

/shrug

Well our midfield was depleted at times, not his fault, maybe the step up of Jones was put down to williams and they gave him a second chance to see what he has got to offer.

That's a good point.

Unless you were involved in the inner workings of the Footy department you would not be able to make an informed judgement of what he brought. Especially with the depletion of the team through injury.

And that's why I reckon a second year is no GREAT surprise. We know exactly nothing about how good he is. One season isn't really enough to know whether or not he has what it takes.

If we start seeing cohesiveness when the majority of the mids sare on the park, we'll sing his praises pretty damn quick. And STRAIGHT away he'll get poached by another club :)