No crisis says Paul Gardner

rumpole

I am looking at the situation that the Club is in today. You challenged the use of the word "crisis". I explained it.

Glad your easily impressed though with the little things being done.

This process should have been commenced up to six months ago when Harris should have been given the flick no later than November.

Things would have been more professional and deliberate.

Seeing you think you are always right, cannot wait to see your ticket at the next AGM and what you will bring to the table, but I guess that wont happen, all to easy to complain from the benches than get your hands dirty. Mistakes have been made, gee I forgot you don't make them, your bagging is becoming boring you made your point now lets all move on.

I challenged that we were IN a crisis.. and I dont see that we are.

What ever happened yesterday is all but irrelevent to today. Should we come totally unstuck this year I might revisit our dillemma.

Its a process.. ,that and a standpoint. Mine is we arent in either turmoil or a crisis ,we are simply working through a situation.

Doesnt matter today whether things might have been done six months ago..they werent..can you change it?? No.. so whats the point. Only thing to take from that is learn by your errors.

Im hardly easily impressed as you would have me.

I as it happens am not au fait with the minutee of daily dealings of the MFC...For all I know this IS the best outcome of what were inclement circumstances.; done with a minimum of disturbance and acrimony.

Time will tell I suppose..

GO DEES :)

I am looking at the situation that the Club is in today. You challenged the use of the word "crisis". I explained it.

Glad your easily impressed though with the little things being done.

This process should have been commenced up to six months ago when Harris should have been given the flick no later than November.

Things would have been more professional and deliberate.

It seems to me the Problem was steve Harris. That Problem has been removed, Don't really mind if it wasnt seen too till last week. Maybe it took that long to finalize the Budget Figures. The good thing about all this is we will search out the Best CEO that is available.

Roll on Round 1

PG's comments were in response to some sensationalist journalism by a few in the press. Yes you Caro and Fatprick Smith! The press had the same comments to make when Rick Aylett resigned as CEO of North. The minute Eugene Arocca was appointed, the crisis was over. I'll think you'll find the same thing will happen when our new CEO is appointed.

Collectively, the media have feeble minds. They are easily swayed by whatever comes along, they have little consistency in their views. They have trouble remembering what they said last week.

They are like kids at a fireworks night. Oh, look at that! Wow, look at that one! Easily seduced by the exciting colours and noises.

This constructive discussion on such an important issue to the MFC is very welcome. I have the following contribution.

PG is right to deny the MFC is in crisis. Clearly not so and process of moving Steve Harris on has been handled smoothly (much beter than last 3 departures).

However, the timing is not good as noted just prior to start of the season and particularly in the 150th year. no doubt there has been a lot of planning and a heavy program of events this season and a departing CEO and inew one to come in in middle of that has potential to cause a problem or 2 and add to the stress. Can not have been planned that way.

There has been some disquiet about Steve H and the high staff turnover including by AFL Admin for some time and so his leaving is not (as noted) as a result of anything that has just come up since the end of last season. Steve's heading of coach selection was by all accounts very good.

PG is wrong to state that the high staff turn over is not an issue. It is fair to say that looking to appoint the right person to take the MFC forward and departure of Harris itself is not a negative. It is (as noted) a positive that he is leaving as there is no stability in the MFC Admin. also harmony with AFL Admin and MCC is vital.

More importantly all of us and the whole MFC suffers as a result of high staff turnover in MFC Admin. Some facts are:

High staff turnover has been endemic in MFC for several years and at least during the past 4 Administrations. In fairness to Steve H he did not create this nor was he the sole reason for it. However the issue of his not great people skills was noted to me at the time of his appointment by a former colleague & some who new him from St. Kilda (he supports). Steve told me when he first took up the role that one of his prime tasks was to clean out the deadwood and bring in efficient and more adequately skilled staff. So on the basis of his own view of what was required he has not succeeded in that regard.

There are significant costs to the MFC when staff turnover as much. salary package pay outs, recruitment fees for new staff and training and familiarisation. For a financially challenged club like MFC this adds to the financial pressure. Frankly we have much better uses for the money like facilities for the players.

Also, and perhaps more importantly, each time the staff is turned over what they have learned and the liaisons which have been developed with other staff, players, ex-players, members and supporters, and stakeholders like MCC and AFL is lost and has to be redeveloped or repeated. Staff morale is low as a result and the output less satisfactory than it should and otherwise would be.

In the 2 years I chaired a MFC supporter group I had about 8 different individuals designated as the liaison manager. All of them we new to the club and each time considerable time was spent re-establishing tha relationship and basis of what was needed etc. Classical one step forward and two backwards 3 or 4 times per year. As a resullt less than could be is achieved and everyone gets frustrated. That has been experienced across many sections of the MFC.

So while the MFC is definitely no where near being in crisis this ongoing problem is one of fundamental underlying reasons why the MFC continues to struggle. Like any company which is not well organised or presented people will not put money or other resources in until they can see the organisation is well structured and gives them confidence about itself. An endless succession of new staff going through the learning curve does not give a positive message and the incoming CEO needs to have a strong focus on solving the problem.

It is also a bit puzzling why the FC can not retain staff as you would think people would love to work for an AFL club. Some of the staff I have liaised with have been lifelong Demon fans and almost all have started with lots of enthusiasm. The MFC Board is stable and has some experienced business people on it and so we should have confidence they will consider and select the ne CEO carefully.

We should be carefully optimistic whilt hoping the new CEO can be in place quickly with minimum disruption to the 2008 season and 150th year.