Judd going to Carlton a blessing in disguise

Yencks

Now I don't know how to make a poll, but in all seriousness, if Melbourne had somehow managed to get Chris Judd and all of the rumours were true, we would not have Cale Morton, we might not have Grimes and we probably wouldnt have got Marric because we wouldnt have gone for a small crumbing type IMO, because he might not have been the best available....

Having said that, we also may have lost a Pettard or a Frawely and got back one of their useless late draft picks... Judd is also struggling with his injury still and is going along quite slowly...he also wouldnt have helped financially in the early stages, even if he did pull the big crowds, because of the mere fact he was asking for big dough.

My point is, even though it wouldve been good to have a true superstar, Melbourne is breeding young and exiting under 23 year olds with an almost brand new off field team...I think that we are better off without Judd, he would also have detrected the oppurtunity for somebody else and wouldve been a very expensive risk....who knows how good Cale Morton might turn out to be? who knows how good jack grimes could turn out to be? Carlton can have Judd if you ask me, especially after Whelan has dealt with him in round 5 2008 (if Judd is able to play :rolleyes: )

thoughts...

Fact is its all theoretical now. We have a good looking list of skillful youngsters to look forward to.

Would I have been happier with Judd? Lets face it, us demon supporters would have been on cloud 9 so lets not pretend otherwise.

Now he is at Carlton I do hope he never gets back to full pace, which brings him back to the pack.

I do however wish most of all thatCarlton win more than 4 games this year to stop this tanking cr@p.

we can go on and on about how good our under 23s are...but are they really any better than any other developing teams in the afl?

we can go on and on about how getting judd would disrupt our development by forcing us the give up draft picks...but are we really are closer to a premiership now than we were any time during the last 40 years?

at the end of the day, melbourne havnt had a player in the top 5 players in the afl for the last 15 yrs (pretty much as long as iv been a MFC supporter). if fact, we really havnt had a truely elite player since robbie flower.

if we had an opportunity to get the best player in the afl it would be pretty much a chance to rejuvinate our club, give us a real shot at a premiership, as well as turn around our frail culture.

we would have been silly not to go all out for judd had he chosen us as his desired choice. in the end it's a moot point bc he's at carlton now.

as i can say is that i have alot of envy for the blues for getting him

I never wanted Judd. I made that very public and i couldnt believe how many people did. Sure hes a great player but 1 player will NOT win you a premiership. I was not prepared to even lose pick 4 for him if it were a straight swap. Please lets end this madness now and for people to say they were prepared to see either frawley or pettard go along with 2 or 3 picks i have no idea how u can call urselves melbourne supporters

I never wanted Judd. I made that very public and i couldnt believe how many people did. Sure hes a great player but 1 player will NOT win you a premiership. I was not prepared to even lose pick 4 for him if it were a straight swap. Please lets end this madness now and for people to say they were prepared to see either frawley or pettard go along with 2 or 3 picks i have no idea how u can call urselves melbourne supporters

Goes to show what you know about football...............jack schitt

see i agree with you...obviously not as much because i was desperate for judd but the future may show that it was a blessing in disguise...well thats what i hope

Guest Schtacker

PETTERD

FRAWLEY

MARIC

FFS are you trying to stuff them up??? Sorry just a real pet peave of mine

I agree with sylvinator, it's embarrassing to pretend now we didn't want him, and even if he misses this entire year he will still dominate for many seasons and may well be a premiership captain at Carlton

I just hope karma gets him somehow

see i agree with you...obviously not as much because i was desperate for judd but the future may show that it was a blessing in disguise...well thats what i hope

It all depends on how good Morton, Grimes and Maric turn out to be. Personally I'm wrapped to have maintained our draft picks. I think Morton will be a beauty, and Maric has some serious x factor. From what I've seen, he reminds me of Nathan Brown (Richmond Version) Grimes sounds perfect, so how can we lose!

How do you quantify 3 very good players (If that's what they turn out to be) in a trade for a superstar.

Carlton would justify their decision by increased membership and sponsorship alone. Their tanking gifted them the xtra draft pick they needed, and even with high picks, their recruitment hasn't been good enough justify hanging onto anything past the first round. This, with Kennedy not showing enough means Carlton would feel like they haven't really lost anything for him.

I just hope Masten, Kennedy and Notte make Carlton questions their trade in the years to come. Carlton only knows how to win premierships one way; Buy them!

Goes to show what you know about football...............jack schitt

cor u would go well in a debate. No discussion just 2 words to discribe every thought. Is this a 12 year old speaking?

cor u would go well in a debate. No discussion just 2 words to discribe every thought. Is this a 12 year old speaking?

Just two words, can you count?.......if you think Judd would not have helped this side straight away instead of pick 4 Cale Morton who will developed in time we hope, then you have know idea, and who are you to question supporters of this club who would have Judd.

Let's be honest. We all wanted Judd at Melbourne and when he rejected us, well, we were both disappointed and angry at the same time. Well that's how I felt anyway. Disappointed that we had not only missed out on a superstar of the AFL but one who barracked for us as a kid. I was deadset certain he would choose us. I was also angry, not at Judd personally but at the notion that money rules the AFL these days. You think Judd chose Carlton because he loved the Blues?

What I'm trying to get at is that whichever way we look at it, if Judd had have chosen Melbourne we would probably still be celebrating...not going on about the 18 year old's who we could have missed out on if we got him. Only time will tell.

Let's be honest. We all wanted Judd at Melbourne and when he rejected us, well, we were both disappointed and angry at the same time. Well that's how I felt anyway. Disappointed that we had not only missed out on a superstar of the AFL but one who barracked for us as a kid. I was deadset certain he would choose us. I was also angry, not at Judd personally but at the notion that money rules the AFL these days. You think Judd chose Carlton because he loved the Blues?

What I'm trying to get at is that whichever way we look at it, if Judd had have chosen Melbourne we would probably still be celebrating...not going on about the 18 year old's who we could have missed out on if we got him. Only time will tell.

I echo all your sentiments Deemissioner, but you must admit that if Judd was at Melbourne, and was still training in the rehab group, there'd be a few nervous people questioning the wisdom of the trade. As you say, only time will tell, because nobody seems to know how badly Judd's injury will effect him long term.

Just two words, can you count?.......if you think Judd would not have helped this side straight away instead of pick 4 Cale Morton who will developed in time we hope, then you have know idea, and who are you to question supporters of this club who would have Judd.

Yeah cause lets just spend the rest of our history being pretenders. Getting judd was the worst thing possible and giving up 1 player who has shown a lot (pettard or frawley) along with 2 or 3 picks would have been crazy. Oh and yes i can count but thanks for asking :)

This coming from the guy who hates David Neitz. You have the guts to question a supporter's love for their club because they want Chris Judd to play in the red and blue??? What are you on occo, and can I get some?

Getting judd was the worst thing possible

occo... Jesus...

The worst thing possible? Howcome you can't just rephrase statements like this? Why not just say the price was too high?

I reckon when it was announced we were in the running I had my concerns about trading away so much youth. Let's say 2 top 20 picks and someone like Petterd. That's 750 good games from what looks like good players in exchange for 100-150 from a superstar and modern-day-champion.

I couldn't figure out which option to take to be honest. It was an ENORMOUS risk. If Judd had a nasty injury, or one that took his all-important pace away, then it would have been a tragedy for the demons.

In the end I had to go to the history books and have a look at the instances where a confirmed star of the game was traded for an assortment of "good" players. In SO MANY cases you read a bunch of no-namers next to the star's name and you ask yourself "why did they do that?"

The Judd trade would have been a risk, no doubt. But one the club really needed to take. No disrespect to Maric, Grimes, Morton or Petterd but they are only a hop, skip and a jump from complete unknowns. They have credentials, sure, but if Trav taught us anything it's that credentials aren't anything when compared to Norm-Smiths, Brownlows, premierships medallions etc etc...

I wanted Judd for his experience, the fact he's coming into his prime as a footballer, for the fact he'd teach our all-important younger guys a thing or two... He represented change, and a seriousness about changing direction.

If he fails at Carltank, well that's a bullet we were lucky to dodge, but I would have traded for him.

I think the next few years are going to be tough for us. We're going to have to watch a young midfield get smashed from pillar to post for about 3 years before we see them gain the ascendancy in their early twenties, at which time Judd will still be in his mid-to-late twenties and he'll have Murphy, Kreuzer and Gibbs coming into their own. During this time we're going to have to replace White, Neitz, Robbo, JMac and others. They have their heirs in place, but they are a LONG way from proving themselves as solid as those warhorses.

In about 2015, when Judd begins his decline and the 2007 draft picks begin to gather pace... THAT'S when we'll be thanking the gods we didn't trade. But not in the near future. And some article descibing Judd's groins as hurting a bit isn't going to convince me we made the right choice. He'll be back before you know it, and he'll start smashing teams again. The Champions always do.

rumor on 3aw this morning that judd is out for the season through injury

maybe his decline has come early?

This rumour fair dinkum??? ;) (in as much as was it actually on 3AW and if so was the announcer just pulling our leg?).

Anyone out there in Demonland hear this as well?

This rumour fair dinkum??? ;) (in as much as was it actually on 3AW and if so was the announcer just pulling our leg?).

Anyone out there in Demonland hear this as well?

I think there's a hell of a lot of misinformation being spread around by lots of people who have a bone to pick with the way Judd seemingly treated their clubs with contempt during his apparently phoney selection process.

I call it "wishful thinking". The surgeon who did the job is reputable and has a good record of success. Unfortunately, the odds now are that Chris Judd will pull on a Carlton guernsey before Cam Bruce dons the red and blue.

Let's worry about our own club instead of wishing bad karma on others (even though in Judd's case, I'll take it :rolleyes:).

I think there's a hell of a lot of misinformation being spread around by lots of people who have a bone to pick with the way Judd seemingly treated their clubs with contempt during his apparently phoney selection process.

I call it "wishful thinking". The surgeon who did the job is reputable and has a good record of success. Unfortunately, the odds now are that Chris Judd will pull on a Carlton guernsey before Cam Bruce dons the red and blue.

Let's worry about our own club instead of wishing bad karma on others (even though in Judd's case, I'll take it :rolleyes:).

Quite right whispering...let us not lower ourselves by engaging in scuttlebut about that nice young man Mr.Judd

Even if he did prove that he would sell his own grandmother for a buck by turning his back on an opportunity to join his childhood team and instead slink off to the Cartel Football Club.

We are above that!

No one who calls them selves a good sport should let Carlton off the hook.

Im still dirty that we didnt undertake the due diligence with Kelvin templeton 28 years ago. (build a bridge...)

We were a laughing stock for taking his word that he was fit.

Many reckon he is a good bloke and forget we had a titan at CHF who couldnt move 20 metres to mark the thing.

We were so desperate we kept playing him.

I do not wish the Blues good luck with Judd.

Their complete lack of even a veil of morality and sportsmanship should bring them the bad Karma they deserve. Even Brett Rattan whom I thought was fair has sniggered at losing the match with us that secured Kreuzer.

I have much more respect for the Magpies these days than those cheats.

I never wanted Judd. I made that very public and i couldnt believe how many people did. Sure hes a great player but 1 player will NOT win you a premiership. I was not prepared to even lose pick 4 for him if it were a straight swap.

:o

The concern that the price for Judd was going to be too high, considering it would have been picks + players, is fair enough, but asserting that Judd isn't worth a pick 4 in the AFL draft? Hrm.

I have much more respect for the Magpies these days than those cheats.

:o:o:O:O

Completely agree with the post Franky...

But wow, that last sentence... I'm not sure I can go that far.

I wanted Judd at mfc, but, knew that the price would be high. Having said that, I was prepared to pay that price. The best player in the game, the boost in membership, standing within the football community etc.

When Judd declined to come to mfc, I was miffed, but not devestated, as the high price would not have to be paid. We should just move on and play the hands that we have been dealt; I am quite comfortable with ours.

With regard to the other matter - respect does not nescessarily diminish hatred.

Now I don't know how to make a poll, but in all seriousness, if Melbourne had somehow managed to get Chris Judd and all of the rumours were true, we would not have Cale Morton, we might not have Grimes and we probably wouldnt have got Marric because we wouldnt have gone for a small crumbing type IMO, because he might not have been the best available....

Having said that, we also may have lost a Pettard or a Frawely and got back one of their useless late draft picks... Judd is also struggling with his injury still and is going along quite slowly...he also wouldnt have helped financially in the early stages, even if he did pull the big crowds, because of the mere fact he was asking for big dough.

Yeah, but we woulda had Judd...